• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

Menitta

Spoiler-y question for the (location of later part of game)
Great Hyrule Forest
:

How many hearts do I need!?

(I don't know what people consider spoilers so I'm extra careful...)

Fuck that! I ran and glided all the way.
I assumed Goron City had to be nearby since it was Death Mountain. The look on the armor shop's shopkeeper when he saw me in regular armor was hilarious, though. He yelled at me to buy his armor so I didn't burn up. I think I had one or two hearts remaining with no food left by the time I made it there. And then that Goron child sells elixirs? Are you kidding me?

I later learned that someone in the nearby stable tells you how to make the elixirs haha.

I ran up that whole bloody mountain only with these elixirs. Totally stupid :|
I only realised up there and after consulting a walk through that there's an anti-heat armor...

giapel

I've come to realised that goblin camps are the unsung hero of this game. Every single one invites the player to experiment. You could exploit environmental features. You could stay back and rain arrows. You could approach by air. You could approach by horse and slo-mo everything. You could stealth attack. You could wait until nighttime when everyone's asleep. Or another dozen approaches, but I'm never that creative in games.
Sure, they're never challenging and you can brute force most of them but in terms of opportunities to use the emerging gameplay on offer, they probably are the best in the game.
It's a shame to think they're often referred to as repetitive and "all the same".

Feels like I'm the only one who doesn't find Zelda's voice terrible.
I agree with this. Actually it's weird -- I do think most of the voice acting/direction in the game is bad. But Zelda is the one ​character I like. I thought her voice definitely enhanced a few scenes and made them more impactful.

Red

Welp

Took out two silver bokoblins. One of them had a Lynel club. As soon as the club hit the ground after killing the bokoblin, it vanished. Just disappeared. That's super lame.

edit:
Now all enemy weapons are disappearing? What the fuck is this

Kevtones

I'm at 90 hours or so

-No guides
-No hints
-No sensors
-53 Shrines
-140 Korok Seeds
-3/4 beasts
-have a certain weapon

Probably going to call this GOAT eventually.

so....when does this game really get good? I've just gotten the camera and have been pretty underwhelmed with the quests at this point. Open world is great and all but I haven't really engaged with any kind of meaningful content.

Also wtf can link not tread water when hes out of stamina?

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
so....when does this game really get good? I've just gotten the camera and have been pretty underwhelmed with the quests at this point. Open world is great and all but I haven't really engaged with any kind of meaningful content.

never; just rush to beat the game and sell it at your point. Game's just not your cup of tea.

Kyzer

Banned

might be a lost cause if you dont like what youve played, try a divine beast

lyrick

What do you consider meaningful content?

And Yes when Link is absolutely exhausted he drowns in water, falls off cliffs and can no longer run.

Adryuu

Er, please, have a question about Kass (my most beloved character in this game).

So, I've found
his diary near the dreaded Hyrule ridge shrine, and I'd swear I've completed every shrine quest that appears there. I've gone to see him in the Rito stable and he's still there singing the same, but he still doesn't explain why he left home and what promise he did to his mentor. So, what's up with him? Gotta do more shrine quests by him that I haven't found and thus don't appear on his diary? If so, fuck, I'm 150 hours in and have less than 20 shrines to go, but I planned to finish his quest line before beating the game.

lyrick

Er, please, have a question about Kass (my most beloved character in this game).

So, I've found
his diary near the dreaded Hyrule ridge shrine, and I'd swear I've completed every shrine quest that appears there. I've gone to see him in the Rito stable and he's still there singing the same, but he still doesn't explain why he left home and what promise he did to his mentor. So, what's up with him? Gotta do more shrine quests by him that I haven't found and thus don't appear on his diary? If so, fuck, I'm 150 hours in and have less than 20 shrines to go, but I planned to finish his quest line before beating the game.

You must be missing a quest, check them again. One is not a shrine.

Crayolan

That's what I ended up doing, but it would have been more polished to at least have a voice over, or text, saying something like "I can't get to the other side, you'll have to find another way to get the last one", it just seemed unpolished compared to the rest of the experience.

I don't see as a lack of polish so much as treating the player like an adult. There's no reason to believe you can't glide across, people who don't figure that out simply aren't thinking with their full toolset.

The game could also tell you "hey, you can climb up and destroy the sentries!" with Yunobo and "hey, you don't have to sit inside of the shield 100% of the time!" with Riju, but instead it trusts the player to think a little creatively. Apparently some people really need a Fi or Navi though.

The first time I crossed Central Hyrule (this would be over a month ago now), I came across a certain spot where a Hinox and a Guardian were right next to each other and started chasing me together. At this point I don't think I had even killed a Hinox yet, so I turned tail and ran.

I just rode by that precise grove and decided to pick a fight... in mounted combat. Rode circles around the Hinox and slapped it with a Windcleaver while the Guardian fumbled to get into position and missed me with its beams. When I killed the Hinox, shattering the Windcleaver, it fell over and knocked the Guardian on its side. Dismounted, grabbed the claymore that dropped from the Hinox, finished off the Guardian on the spot.

I'm sure I'll be done with this game someday, but it is not this day.

Pinky

Banned
The first time I crossed Central Hyrule (this would be over a month ago now), I came across a certain spot where a Hinox and a Guardian were right next to each other and started chasing me together. At this point I don't think I had even killed a Hinox yet, so I turned tail and ran.

I just rode by that precise grove and decided to pick a fight... in mounted combat. Rode circles around the Hinox and slapped it with a Windcleaver while the Guardian fumbled to get into position and missed me with its beams. When I killed the Hinox, shattering the Windcleaver, it fell over and knocked the Guardian on its side. Dismounted, grabbed the claymore that dropped from the Hinox, finished off the Guardian on the spot.

I'm sure I'll be done with this game someday, but it is not this day.

This is awesome! I wish I could've seen this with my own eyes.

Adryuu

You must be missing a quest, check them again. One is not a shrine.

Thanks. Yeah I did that one, too. Do all of them appear there though, even if you haven't seen him in the place yet? That place was the last one I've found him, or maybe the one that's not a shrine I found out by reading it, I'm not really sure, maybe I heard the music there but didn't go, but I think that was new for me and I read it first (in fact I went to that place because of it). Gonna go through them and count them just to check once more.

joesiv

I don't see as a lack of polish so much as treating the player like an adult. There's no reason to believe you can't glide across, people who don't figure that out simply aren't thinking with their full toolset.

The game could also tell you "hey, you can climb up and destroy the sentries!" with Yunobo and "hey, you don't have to sit inside of the shield 100% of the time!" with Riju, but instead it trusts the player to think a little creatively. Apparently some people really need a Fi or Navi though.
Meh, I disagree, the open world gameplay has been very free form, I've just started tackling the beasts, this one seemed very linear, and my fish dude was very chatty, it just seemed out of place why he wasn't going to the other side, I was waiting many rounds of the ice attacks. Even if he didn't spell it out, at least tell me why he isn't going to the other side... "I can't find an opening on the other side!" That would have been enough for us to know we have to try to get creative.

To me this should have been found in play testing, but if you've played the scenario hundreds of times, like the QA testers, and the developers, they'd know how the scenario worked, so it'd be easy to miss.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Zelda's VA might be okay if you're American, but if you're British you have to suffer someone committing a savage desecration of your accent with all the finesse of a drugged up rhinoceros. In general, the voice-acting was super poor in BotW, I'm not making any excuses. It is especially disappointing given how good it was for Kid Icarus.

Kyzer

Banned
Zelda's VA might be okay if you're American, but if you're British you have to suffer someone committing a savage desecration of your accent with all the finesse of a drugged up rhinoceros. In general, the voice-acting was super poor in BotW, I'm not making any excuses. It is especially disappointing given how good it was for Kid Icarus.

ok but how would you explain the gorons rito voices? i might not know a british accent but those VAs seemed good too lol

I feel like BoTW has much better VA than most games, and would actually put it up there with KI specifically

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure we played the same game. King Rhoam is terribly stilted and played by a young person badly doing an old person's voice, Mipha had a lobotomy removing any and all ability to display emotional depth or talk at any other pitch than saccharine, Zelda is doing the worst British accent since Dick Van Dyke, Revali can't decide if he can even be bothered to do a British accent or not and randomly flips between accents, and so on. Like, if that was good VA, you have really low standards.

And I really liked BotW, don't get me wrong.

MDave

Is it me or do the Octorocks learn to lead their shots after they miss their first few shots? That's pretty awesome. I thought they always lead their shots but it appears they don't straight away?

There's a good place to farm for arrows to the right of
Oseria Plains (Faron Grasslands region)
. There are quite a few bokoblin horseback archers that can circle you but they always miss if you keep moving in a small circle too. Then you just pick up all the arrows they missed. They drop a good bunch themselves when you take them out.

If there are better ways to get them quick and free, let me know!

I'm not sure we played the same game. King Rhoam is terribly stilted and played by a young person badly doing an old person's voice, Mipha had a lobotomy removing any and all ability to display emotional depth or talk at any other pitch than saccharine, Zelda is doing the worst British accent since Dick Van Dyke, Revali can't decide if he can even be bothered to do a British accent or not and randomly flips between accents, and so on. Like, if that was good VA, you have really low standards.

Not a single lie detected!!

MKJJHCk.gif

Dr.Hadji

Honestly, it sounds like a standard Shounen dub. Heck, I would take this collection of voices over the English dub of One Piece or Naturo. Can't stand the VA for English Luffy.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Sounding like a standard shounen dub is like, the definition of low standards.

Irminsul

So, I've found
For me, it was one shrine quest that I had actually solved, but I didn't speak with Kass at that place. That might be the case for you as well. Just go there again and speak to him.

This is funny to me because there are a crazy amount of variations all of over the UK as far as English goes. Like, I think I read somewhere that the dialect changes like every 20 kilometers or something.

Yup. I found the VA, apart from a handful, terrible. Then again, there was very little characterization at all.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
This is funny to me because there are a crazy amount of variations all of over the UK as far as English goes. Like, I think I read somewhere that the dialect changes like every 20 kilometers or something.

This is true, but Zelda is trying to do BBC English/Oxford English, which is rapidly becoming the predominant accent and is the 'stereotypical' British accent (that and RP). It's also my accent.

That said, if what you're saying is that you want a Geordie Zelda, I'm all in. Cheryl Cole for next Zelda VA here we go!

EDIT: and no subtitles, either. You figure it out yourself!

Being fake british made her voice slightly more tolerable than all the jarring poorly chosen american voices, whoever cast the voice actors should have been shot

Adryuu

For me, it was one shrine quest that I had actually solved, but I didn't speak with Kass at that place. That might be the case for you as well. Just go there again and speak to him.

Shiiiiit if I have to do that... I'll have to check every one. Sigh, on it. Thanks to both. I'll report back. :)

joesiv

Mipha had a lobotomy removing any and all ability to display emotional depth or talk at any other pitch than saccharine
Actually, her voice acting (in english) really bothered me too... For someone who had such a relationship with link, her tone/intonation was totally off!

I don't mind Zelda's VA so far (only 2 memories unlocked), it hasn't been distracting for me. Though I'm not British, is it suppose to be a british accent? Man... i'll probably hate it now that we've discussed it...

Actually, Link's voice acting, or lack of it, is what is really bothering me. I know why Nintendo doesn't like doing VO's for Link, but at least have some animation, or grunts or something. I mean super emotional cut scene, Zelda is talkign to Link, link just stands there staring, it has a really odd feeling.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
If you're going faux-medieval, it's not even the right British accent. There was a marked shift in the way English was pronounced in the 16th and 17th centuries, and 'posh English' dates from after that shift. English as it was originally spoken is preserved only in the more rural dialects, especially Gloucestershire which probably has the most conservative sound. If you pronounce 'cider' without an 'o' sound, you're not being authentic enough.

Ogni-XR21

Don't know how many hours I have spent with this game but it has been consuming me for the past few weeks. I now have all beasts, all memories, all shrines, 201 korok seeds and upgraded every armor to the max. If I sell all the gems I have on me now I end up with roughly 70k in rupees. I did not get any headgear you can buy in
Gerudo Town
but might get them but they are definitely not worth upgrading once you have all armors maxed out (I already have 2, one found in a shrine the other for the sidequest).

I know it's time to go for Ganon but I just don't want this to end. Was thinking about getting the headgears and max those too, it's just the need for star fragments makes this a no go for me. I think I have 2 left but farming those is a real pain. I got the ones I needed from npcs or from enemy drops and I had 2 fall during normal gameplay, I just don't want to sit on a mountain for hours just to uprade something I don't need. I could search for more korok seeds but I don't think searching for more korok seeds is worth it in the end.

I might have to finally head for the final battle... SAD!

Edit: I really love this game but I have to agree that the voice acting can be horrible at times. Even though I'm German I play all my games in English, it just wouldn't feel right in German. But since I heard the German voice acting at a friend's I wish I could just select German voices with English in game text. The German voices simply put the English ones to shame.

If you're going faux-medieval, it's not even the right British accent. There was a marked shift in the way English was pronounced in the 16th and 17th centuries, and 'posh English' dates from after that shift. English as it was originally spoken is preserved only in the more rural dialects, especially Gloucestershire which probably has the most conservative sound. If you pronounce 'cider' without an 'o' sound, you're not being authentic enough.

While i do think they should've used a british cast i would have eaten my cartridge if they'd used Gloucestershire accents, I've had to live here for 15 years and some people round here make me seriously consider making myself deaf

Adryuu

Shiiiiit if I have to do that... I'll have to check every one. Sigh, on it. Thanks to both. I'll report back. :)

Oh yeah fuck me... I had found one that I was counting as complete but I hadn't competed it... Yet I'm waiting to do it still. The one on G. Tower. And it pisses me off, lol.

At least, I was already missing this accordion music. I'm glad to have it back, heh.

Vuze

Game is genuinely enjoyable, been playing for about two hours now. Discovery and sense of achievement is on point.

Nintendo should really patch in a way to drop weapons and shields from the dpad menu though, I can see this getting annoying really fast. Weapon durability isn't as bad as I expected, I wonder if I can turn off the message in game though? Otherwise I will just null the text but the former is obviously much more preferable.

Top Bottom