• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Im nearing 60 hours and still only have 1 DB.

I am right next to the second and each time i say "ok this time I will go for it" and I end up getting side tracked doing shrines, seeds and side quests.

I THINK, FINALLY, I will go for it tonight.

Same but I have two DB. I'm literally right at the end of the quest line just before triggering the actual DB in the third area and I've been distracted by grabbing the master sword, and then looking for things to upgrade armour. And then I found Kass's diary (should I make a note or do people just go back after side quests and check the next one??... still haven't done that third DB after about a week of being on the cusp.

That feel when you actually do well while fighting on a horse
b0oqIAu.gif

Yeah, I'm getting pretty savage with the bow. Sometimes I one shot bokkoblins in their outposts from a really far distance. So satisfying.

Branduil

So the
Talus
plateau does not actually have any
Taluses,
only a
Hinox
... makes sense.

Speaking of which, how the fuck am I supposed to farm
Hinox guts,
I've killed half a dozen in the last couple hours and only gotten one.

Chinbo37

Same but I have two DB. I'm literally right at the end of the quest line just before triggering the actual DB in the third area and I've been distracted by grabbing the master sword, and then looking for things to upgrade armour. And then I found Kass's diary (should I make a note or do people just go back after side quests and check the next one??... still haven't done that third DB after about a week of being on the cusp.

Ya armor upgrades are a time killer too. I got a whole new set of armor and of course I had to spend time grabbing stuff to upgrade it to level 2 (Ive only found 2 fairies so far).

Also memories. I spent about 30 minutes last night looking for a memory spot (found it so that was cool).

EDIT - I wanted to mention about the memory I found.
It is the one north of Woodland stable in the mountains at the base of death mountain. In the memory Zelda is tending to some wounds of Link after it appears Link just tore through like several Lyonals and tons of Bobokins. DId anyone else think that was savage? There were like a bunch of dead bodies around I thought that memory was really cool.

JoeNut

I think the voice acting is incredible, better than most games. Everyone has a very distinct voice with a lot of character and I found the scenes to be well-acted

i really can't agree with this, the voice acting in the entire game is just poor in general. There's not enough spoken stuff to start with, but when it is spoken, it's very weak.

Considering how huge this game is and the resources that went into it,, you'd have thought theyd have at least got the main story missions fully voiced

oti

Banned
i really can't agree with this, the voice acting in the entire game is just poor in general. There's not enough spoken stuff to start with, but when it is spoken, it's very weak.

Considering how huge this game is and the resources that went into it,, you'd have thought theyd have at least got the main story missions fully voiced

German VA is pretty great. Zelda has some weak moments but other than that, can't complain.

Red

Saved Eventide Island for my last shrine. At that point I was so ready to be done with them that I cheesed the quest by dropping all my armor on the shore, activating the quest, and then picking the stuff back up. Beating the game and completing the shrines only took...150 hours.

Now to upgrade all the classic Link outfits. Some of these requirements are insane. 30 Ambers?! And these star fragments, Christ.
How have you played 150 hours and not found 30 ambers? Seems impossible.

Jyester

Was there any way I could've known where to look for the final memory? I tried to narrow it down (which leaves 60% of the map) and then just went tower-hopping until I sort of happened upon the location.

Put 81+ hours into the game in March. Haven't touched it in April.

At 50 hours, it got too easy. I was able to kill lynels without a shield and barely any weapons. I'd play until I had to stop because all of my weapons broke.

At this point, if I try to go for 100% or something, I'd just get super bored, and I don't want to play the game out before the Hard mode DLC drops. I do have a lot of side quests to finish, though...

I get where you're coming from. I'm at 70 hours myself and about ready to storm the castle. At this point, I'm still loving it, but I feel that I'm not going to get the same satisfaction out of wandering the map that some people are having. I've obviously not seen everything, but all (?) of the big surprises have been revealed. Ultimately, this is what I found the most satisfying, so if I linger for too long looking for shrines, I don't think I will enjoy it as much. After 65+ shrines I've enough health and stamina that the rewards offered don't feel as meaningful as they did earlier in the game. This is easily one of my favorite games ever, and I want to finish strong.

Still, I only found two fairies (forgot where I got hints about the other two), bested only one
dragon (the one on the snowy mountain)
and have yet to finish building
the new city (gotta find a Gerudo)
. I'm sure I'll come back after finishing the main quest.

I decided to go nuts and just rushed to the end of the game with four hearts. Probable end spoilers:
After I got to Kakariko, I was too curious to see how far into Hyrule Castle I could get. I acquired a horse I named "Suicide" and went for it. I just sailed over the gate, figured out I could create ice pillars on the side of the waterfalls, and climbed. I just went up cliffs and waterfalls until I found Zelda's room and study. Read the diaries.

I climbed to the top of that tower and flew right into what I think is the final boss room. I defeated Ganon's Wind form, but his water form wrecked me with one shot. It also reset the fight to the first form, so there's no way this is going to happen. The music in the area is absolutely amazing. I'm assuming I hilariously went around all the content in the actual "dungeon," unless there's just a handful of guardians and a single moblin between me and Ganon.

TheContact

I need more time in my life. I've had the switch for a month now and I'm only a couple hours into this game. I work 80 hours a week, by the time I get home all I want to do is lie in bed and watch YouTube videos until I fall asleep; my brain is too overworked to think about stuff

One day!

FiraB

Banned
I need more time in my life. I've had the switch for a month now and I'm only a couple hours into this game. I work 80 hours a week, by the time I get home all I want to do is lie in bed and watch YouTube videos until I fall asleep; my brain is too overworked to think about stuff

One day!

I know that feeling this week was nuts, so drained after doing 16 hours a day because of easter break.

I havent gotten to zelda botw much because of work and my game backlog, pushed zelda back because i know i want to play it so it motavates me to beat other games.

Should have left persona 5 and cosmic star hero for winter but looks like winter will be zelda (mid yr is winter in NZ).

Wireframe

So I finished the game last night with
120 shrines and about 200 seeds
what a ride. Also seeing
Satoru Iwata as executive producer
in the credits choked me up a little.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Ya armor upgrades are a time killer too. I got a whole new set of armor and of course I had to spend time grabbing stuff to upgrade it to level 2 (Ive only found 2 fairies so far).

Also memories. I spent about 30 minutes last night looking for a memory spot (found it so that was cool).

EDIT - I wanted to mention about the memory I found.
It is the one north of Woodland stable in the mountains at the base of death mountain. In the memory Zelda is tending to some wounds of Link after it appears Link just tore through like several Lyonals and tons of Bobokins. DId anyone else think that was savage? There were like a bunch of dead bodies around I thought that memory was really cool.

Yeah that did seem like quite a savage memory.

I think I have three fairies, but might just be two. I think my plan is only to get to 2* on most armour - things like climbing etc to get the set bonus. I don't think I'll need any higher than that as it is just defense right? I'll only upgrade my core Hylian stuff higher than 2* and maybe Ancient if I can ever afford to get those.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I think the voice acting is incredible, better than most games. Everyone has a very distinct voice with a lot of character and I found the scenes to be well-acted

The voice acting in this game is about on-par with an extremely middle-of-the-road Saturday morning anime dub. But with a lot more very fake-sounding British accents.

Incredible is most certainly not the word I would use.

I thought it was good as well, some are amazing others are just average. But good enough

What I've heard of the English dub was downright painful. Mipha in particular sounds like someone purposely badly acting / reading the lines, like a gag in a sitcom:
https://youtu.be/8y2pCpeMGAw?t=118

German VA is pretty great. Zelda has some weak moments but other than that, can't complain.

The Spanish VA is consistently great all around. Same scene for comparison.

https://youtu.be/16Jf8uQ4a1Q?t=60

JoeNut

omg so if you haven't done devine beast up the lava mountain yet, pro-tip without spoiling anything - shoot at the beast with yanubo.

i just did the entire
"stealth" section, got to the top of the mountain and then realised that you have to keep shooting at the beast with the cannons, i thought they were for shooting the UFO things.

RAWRferal

So something fantastic happened yesterday that I personally hadn't witnessed before. Finally decided to tackle Eventide Island and accidently started a fight with
the Hinox
. It was a war of attrition with me basically spamming bombs and
Urbosas Fury
, but what was interesting is there was a tree nearby and
the Hinox literally ripped it from its roots and started swinging it as a weapon.

This fucking game man.

Also, does anyone know if
the flocks of birds flying in a V-shape are actually pointing to anything?

DonShula

So something fantastic happened yesterday that I personally hadn't witnessed before. Finally decided to tackle Eventide Island and accidently started a fight with
the Hinox
. It was a war of attrition with me basically spamming bombs and
Urbosas Fury
, but what was interesting is there was a tree nearby and
the Hinox literally ripped it from its roots and started swinging it as a weapon.

This fucking game man.

Also, does anyone know if
the flocks of birds flying in a V-shape are actually pointing to anything?

You made it out to the island and hadn't seen that yet? It's a credit to this game that these things can happen in such a random order. I found my first
Hinox
in a forest area and all he did was
snap and swing
while I ran for my life in circles.

Corbec

Neo Member
omg so if you haven't done devine beast up the lava mountain yet, pro-tip without spoiling anything - shoot at the beast with yanubo.

i just did the entire
"stealth" section, got to the top of the mountain and then realised that you have to keep shooting at the beast with the cannons, i thought they were for shooting the UFO things.

Did exactly the same...

Futureman

One day!

I should probably spread things out a little more. My GF is getting mad at how much I've been playing haha.

I'm at 45 hours and I think I'm going to move onto my 2nd Divine Beast at Gerudo Town on my next play.

RAWRferal

You made it out to the island and hadn't seen that yet? It's a credit to this game that these things can happen in such a random order. I found my first
Hinox
in a forest area and all he did was
snap and swing
while I ran for my life in circles.

Lol I'm at 110 hours believe it or not! Usually I try not to wake them or have dropped em pretty quick, so I was shocked when it happened!

kunonabi

Took a little over 349 hours but I have completely 100%ed the entire game. I wish I could say I enjoyed the experience but at least it finally motivated me to buy phantom hourglass.

I bet that was tough! Great job!

It was, but oh man was it rewarding. Some of the Silver Lynel fights north of Hebra Mountain were freaking tense.

Overall, I will probably never play the game with Heart Upgrades again.

BTW, even if you don't take the Heart Container in the Divine Beasts, you can still pick them up later where they keep position.

Pagusas

Elden Member
So far really loving the game. Only thing I dislike, suprisingly, is the semi-fantasy/future art style. I like the colors and animated look, I just dont like the scifi fantasy glyphs. It just looks cheap and weird to me.

kunonabi

So far really loving the game. Only thing I dislike, suprisingly, is the semi-fantasy/future art style. I like the colors and animated look, I just dont like the scifi fantasy glyphs. It just looks cheap and weird to me.

Nintendo seems committed to pushing the sheikah and the sci-fi stuff going forward. I'm personally uninterested in all that but there isn't much to really do about it.

I dig that kind of stuff. I love the Watchers, the sensor, the towers and the Guardians.

jariw

Took a little over 349 hours but I have completely 100%ed the entire game. I wish I could say I enjoyed the experience but at least it finally motivated me to buy phantom hourglass.

You should probably reevaluate how you spend your time. Your post about the game has been mostly negativity, and now you spend 349 hours in about a month on an experience you don't enjoy?

maxcriden

If I create a second profile on my Switch, and load up Zelda, it will have its own, new save file, right? And it won't do anything to my main profile's save to save within this new file?

I went through the
Coliseum Ruins
last night. Killed the
Lynel
and most of the bokoblins. Some of them I just smacked off the edge and kept moving. Found a chest at the top that just had Amber. Was the the reward? I needed the elemental weapons, so I'm grateful to know of a place to get them reliably, but after all that, just an amber?

HylianTom

Banned
I 100%ed this game two weeks ago, and videos like crazy kart, shrine skips, bokoblin torture, etc are making it difficult for me to move on. My original plan was to wait for more DLC before starting a new game, as there are a lot of other games I have on my plate, but damn.. the temptation to do a second run is strong.

Caelus

I went through the
Coliseum Ruins
last night. Killed the
Lynel
and most of the bokoblins. Some of them I just smacked off the edge and kept moving. Found a chest at the top that just had Amber. Was the the reward? I needed the elemental weapons, so I'm grateful to know of a place to get them reliably, but after all that, just an amber?

The real 'reward' is knowing where to farm for elemental weapons when Blood Moons happen, and having a reliable place to farm monster parts or treasure from the enemies since you can sneakstrike them pretty swiftly. That's why there are treasure and sword icons to pin on the map - use 'em.

The real 'reward' is knowing where to farm for elemental weapons when Blood Moons happen, and having a reliable place to farm monster parts or treasure from the enemies since you can sneakstrike them pretty swiftly. That's why there are treasure and sword icons to pin on the map - use 'em.

Mmmmm. I guess that's cool. At least I know I didn't miss a hidden shrine or something.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I went through the
Coliseum Ruins
last night. Killed the
Lynel
Seeing as you can get the treasure chests without engaging in combat I highly doubt that is meant to be seen as a reward.

Also, it's not the only chest.

giapel

I went through the
Coliseum Ruins
last night. Killed the
Lynel

I entered from above and made my way down. I guess that's not the designed way. A thunderstorm started just as I reached the bottom. Needless to say, I died.

Top Bottom