• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Servbot24

Banned
Thanks for the info. I have a Switch preordered and I'm probably going to hold off for now and go Wii U.

Here's the way I look at it.. If you have a Wii U and all you care about is Zelda, then the cost difference is pretty significant:

Playing BOW on Switch:
Console: $299.99
Game: $59.99
Pro Controller: $69.99
Features: 900p docked, play on the go, less compressed environmental sounds, *possibly faster load times, 30 fps with some dips, *possibly less pop in
--------------------------------------------------
Total: $429.97

Playing BOW on Wii U:
Console: already own
Pro Controller: $14.92
Features: 720p, 30 fps with some dips, *possibly better dynamic lighting, bloom and contrast, originally built for hardware
Total: $74.91

One of those offers the ability to play all future Switch games.

Realeza

Banned
Whether people like it or not (or for that matter think the comparison isn't fair) this game was going to be compared to Horizon. While I don't believe graphics and frame rate make everything in a game it would certainly be hard to swap from one that runs rock solid and looks gorgeous to another that looks really rough by comparison.

It will be even harder when they compare the metacritic scores.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks for the info. I have a Switch preordered and I'm probably going to hold off for now and go Wii U.

Here's the way I look at it.. If you have a Wii U and all you care about is Zelda, then the cost difference is pretty significant:

Playing BOW on Switch:
Features: 900p docked, play on the go, less compressed environmental sounds, *possibly faster load times, 30 fps with some dips, *possibly less pop in

Playing BOW on Wii U:
Features: 720p, 30 fps with some dips, *possibly better dynamic lighting, bloom and contrast, originally built for hardware

I doubt there are any areas it will run/look better on Wii U given the Edge review comments.

That said, I had similar logic--though with stronger incentive as I'm not yet convinced I'll ever want a Switch due to the hybrid concept having no appeal to me as someone who hates portables.

$47.99 plus tax after GCU (already have a Wii U and pro controller) just makes more sense for me given that, and that there are no other must plays announced yet for Switch for me. Mario is the closest, but I'm not that into platformers anymore.

Graphics are obviously not as realistic and the textures and geometry are not as detailed or complex as Horizon or Witcher 3.

But I don't take anyone who calls this game ugly as a whole seriously.

Yeah, it's definitely not ugly.

I'm just not a fan of cartoony artstyles. I like more realistic graphics in non-realistic settings like Horizon and Witcher 3 personally as they aid my immersion which is the main reason I play those types of games. The stronger narrative focus, dialogue trees, lots of (well done) voice acting etc. also adds to the immersion for me.

BOTW is still a nice looking game, technical limitations aside, and I'm sure I'll have a blast with it like I do most Zelda games. Just unlikely I'll like it more than things like Witcher 3, Horizon etc. due to art style perferences and the other stuff I mentioned. But that's just down to different reasons for playing games and many prefer Zelda and it's art style and more gameplay-driven focus.

Graphics are obviously not as realistic and the textures and geometry are not as detailed or complex as Horizon or Witcher 3.

There's a reason why even the original WW still looks amazing.

Art style used right ages slowly.

Editor of Dualshockers:

Graphics don't look outdated, just different and stylized, come on!

Yeah this is a bunch of nothing. He doesn't mention gameplay outside of AI and even then I disagree, the AI seems incredible. It's so weird to me that someone can hold this small tablet-esque device running a massive open world game and go "the textures suck".

JEM2I8ddAWKly.gif

This is great

edit: Still monday btw.

Jacce

Banned

Playing BOW on Switch:

Playing BOW on Wii U:
You listed the framerate as the same. This is not correct. Edge says the final WiiU version framerate can dip into the teens and that the Switch one does not (dips into the 20s).

There is no better lighting/bloom/contrast on the WiiU edition.

Editor of Dualshockers:

So, it's fine that the graphics/resolution isn't your thing. What's less fine is accusing everyone that doesn't give that much of a shit about that and are more interested in its art style and game design of wearing "rose tinted glasses" and ready to give it a pass just because it's Zelda.

Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit. People don't give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda. That's a load of complete fuckery. Look at the Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword backlash. And those aren't the only two susceptible to criticism.

Fandangox

Definitely a knock-off.

Its a Knock Off.

it's a cheap knock off, there are a lot of them floating around. you've got to make sure the controller has the Wii U logo on it.

yes knockoff but reviews are solid for it. hell for $15 its worth a shot IMO

I see, thanks for the replies, never really seen an official pro controller in person so wouldn't be able to tell them apart at a glance.

There's a reason why even the original WW still looks amazing.

Art style used right ages slowly.

The nice thing about TWW is it didn't try to use detailed textures, so even its relatively simple geometry looks nice.

But there are definitely some warts in its presentation - especially when you look at the draw distance and pop-in while at sea. These issues still haven't really been fixed, even in the HD remake. I'd argue it's actually worse now that you can sail more quickly, which makes these issues more noticeable and has also occasionally led to some bad slowdown when approaching complex areas on your boat.

I'd hope the problems with BotW's presentation could be solved 5-10 years later.

Flat textures, low resolution, 4/10. Preorder cancelled, come on Nintendo this is 2017.

Greenymac

Playing BOW on Switch:

Playing BOW on Wii U:
This was my exact reasoning. Itd be different if the switch had more than just one game I want to play at launch. I can just wait until the holidays on it and still get my Zelda fix. I dont mind, Im actually looking forward to seeing them push the WiiU as far as they can.

phanphare

Banned
Whether people like it or not (or for that matter think the comparison isn't fair) this game was going to be compared to Horizon. While I don't believe graphics and frame rate make everything in a game it would certainly be hard to swap from one that runs rock solid and looks gorgeous to another that looks really rough by comparison.

yeah there's certainly more going on technically in other games

as far as the graphics as a whole go it's really up to personal taste. I'm actually struggling to think of another game from this gen that's as beautiful as BotW.

So, it's fine that the graphics/resolution isn't your thing. What's less fine is accusing everyone that doesn't give that much of a shit about that and are more interested in its art style and game design of wearing "rose tinted glasses" and ready to give it a pass just because it's Zelda.

Get the fuck outta here with that bullshit. People don't give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda. That's a load of complete fuckery. Look at the Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword backlash. And those aren't the only two susceptible to criticism.

yeah that was my main issue. he's basically trying to invalidate the opinions of people like jason schreier, dan ryckert, etc. and put himself on some kind of pedestal. I'm not sure if that guy has to brush shoulders with his peers at industry events or anything but it just seemed like a childish and unprofessional thing to post.

Kjellson

When did you pre-order? I'm picking up at the same store, and I'm starting to worry a little bit... I pre-ordered on Dec 4th.

Before the PSVR launch they sent out an e-mail asking if I wanted to keep my pre-order (because they had more pre-orders than they could fulfill, I'm guessing), but so far I haven't received anything like that about the Switch.
January 6th...

I'm legit worried now. I must get a Switch on Friday.

Addi

Graphic talks are so boring, "Water lilies by Claude Monet looks so bad, not realistic enough".

People also seem to forget that this is also a fucking handheld. With that perspective the graphics are actually insane.

Discomurf

One of those offers the ability to play all future Switch games.

That's true - but this logic is for those who only care about Zelda right now (like me). I'm going to hold of the Switch for a bit until the library grows. I'm not hating, this will be my first Nintendo console/handheld since the N64 I don't have on day 1.

Audioboxer

I'm so impressed with how the Wii U version looks. They really pushed that little box to its limits.

Yeah, if you've already got a Wii U you shouldn't feel pressured into blowing a ton of money on a Switch. However, if you're getting a Switch you might as well play the superior copy.

Playing BOTW on Switch:

Playing BOTW on Wii U:

Is gearbest.com safe/real?!

gamerMan

Here is one of the quotes - 18 hours ago.

"Not everyone will give Zelda a pass because it's Zelda." screams to me "I'll show them mwahahaha"

But, his opinion is his and he has the right to rate it as he sees fit. I am interested to hear more about his perspective on AI. What I've seen so far is pretty impressive, but if there is something lack I'm interested on hearing.

I think we will see a lot of reviews like this There are people that are going to wear their rosy glasses but there are also people who are going to go in "trying" to find something to hate about it simply because it is Zelda. And there is a lot not to like in terms of presentation. When compared to Horizon, Zelda does looks very dated on a technical level. We've heard the voice acting is also not very good.

Zelda is a game that will never be able to be reviewed in a vacuum, partly because Nintendo has released so many landmark games in the series. It's not like Zelda gets a pass simply because it's Zelda. That's reductive. Nintendo has worked hard to keep this series relevant by constantly reinventing what a Zelda game is. How many series on PS4 or Xbox One will last for 30+ years? For many people, this is going to be the game that you dreamed you were playing as a kid.

Also much has to be said about the hype levels. Zelda has a huge amount of hype going in where with Horizon Zero Dawn most of us had low expectations. It will be a lot easier to give Horizon Zero Dawn a pass for things it is not doing well like the human AI.

If you believe that next generation games are about polygons, anti aliasing, and pixel counting, Zelda is going to disappoint as Nintendo's hardware won't be able to keep up. If you believe next gen game play is improvements in game design, physics, freedom of choice,then you will love getting lost in the world.

it was bound to happen

no more twitter for me

please keep this thread safe yall

I second this plea. I'm kinda living here now until at least Wednesday, please don't post anymore spoilers like the one above. I turned off embedded images though, I suggest everyone do that if you don't wanna be spoiled.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Ugh, I can't believe this PCMR nonsense has so thoroughly infested console gaming that people are looking at this freaking game like it's some sort of irredeemable technical mess.

Burny

It's not ugly by any means and will most likely look quiet beautiful on the Switch in handheld mode, due to rendering at the native resolution of that screen. But its strongly stylized elements (characters) are mixed with things that simply don't look too hot when seeing them up close and in person. All the .gifs do a good job of hiding the less sexy parts of it's visuals. Those being some blurry, low res textures etc.. Take those bushes in your .gif and have a close look at them on the big screen. You'll find they're a rather blurry mess.

Those elements should be easy to ignore, but they're there all the same. People who cannot get over it won't enjoy the game the same way other who can will.

Agalloch

This game is a marvel even technically, amazing use of WiiU / Switch hardware,
but according to Giuseppe Nelva, it seems that does not count the hardware it runs on.
I imagine that if he should review a 3ds masterpiece, he would give a 0/10,
cause dont't look at the content, but the fact that on a gaming PC there are better graphics.
Opinions.

CronoShot

I don't think people give it a pass because it's Zelda, they give it a pass because most realize Switch is literally a handheld with TV out, and can't possibly compete with a modern console in terms of the technical merits of its visuals.

At least, not without costing significantly more.

effzee

Playing BOTW on Switch:

Playing BOTW on Wii U:

I really really really wanted the Switch with Zelda but with all my bills and finding out I owe on my tax returns, I can't justify buying a new console yet.

I also have a 1.5 hour commute each way on trains which would have been ideal for the Switch version but oh well.

I think we will see a lot of reviews like this There are people that are going to wear their rosy glasses but there are also people who are going to go in "trying" to find something to hate about it simply because it is Zelda. And there is a lot not to like in terms of presentation. When compare to Horizon, Zelda does looks very dated on a technical level. We've heard the voice acting is also not very good.

I'd like to add a counterpoint to the voice acting. Chris Carter of Destructoid and Gamexplain's reviewers seem to really like the Voice work. It's not a definite "voice acting is bad".

I don't think there's an issue with trying to look for flaws but its important to acknowledge that bias and many reviewers have admitted to that with this game that they're actively trying to find flaws and can only find a few which is impressive needless to say.

Editor of Dualshockers:

Graphics don't look outdated, just different and stylized, come on!
He said nothing about the gameplay. And seems to be throwing some serious shade at fans of the series with the "rose-tinted glasses" comment. Seems to hating and a contrarian just for the sake of it. Kind of rubs me the wrong way that his only qualms were with the graphics and the 'this isn't last gen' tone doesn't help.

Astral Dog

yeah there's certainly more going on technically in other games

as far as the graphics as a whole go it's really up to personal taste. I'm actually struggling to think of another game from this gen that's as beautiful as BotW

Uhhh
. Uncharted 4? Bloodborne? FFXV? Witcher 3? Ratchet and Clank? Xenoblade X? Sunset Overdrive?

Unless you mean only cel shaded thats a bit weird

KingBroly

Banned

Playing BOTW on Switch:

Playing BOTW on Wii U:

Because BotW uses gyro, you won't be able to use the Pro Controller on Wii U.

I think

And you're basing the lighting off of the E3 preview build, when the game has clearly eliminated them to have a better framerate. Right...

Plum

People also seem to forget that this is also a fucking handheld. With that perspective the graphics are actually insane.

This is another reason why I can't take the guy seriously. I did a very quick search for "Dualshockers Uncharted Golden Abyss" and the first result has the same guy praising that game's (admittedly great) graphics for a handheld game. Why is he judging the game's graphics entirely on the fact that you can, if you want, play it on your TV?

Kicko

I do wonder how people would judge this game if they've never played a Zelda game before.
Because like it or not, love for a certain franchise can certainly cause you to overlook various flaws that immediately stand out to you in other games.

This game getting a 10/10 from someone that's playing his very first Zelda means a whole lot more to me than the game getting a 10/10 by a Nintendo fanatic with a Triforce tattoo. But I might be alone on this.

I mean, I can't really disagree with that guy about the game's technical and visual presentation. But what I want to know is whether the actual game part made up for all those slights.

You're removing the idea that the reviewer himself isn't entertaining their own biases for the console (or brand) of their choosing or liking. You don't have to be a fan of a particular game to have bias influence your review, you could simply have a bias towards the opposing company. You critique Nintendo fans for said bias, but fail to acknowledge the bias that DOES exists for other companies.

Kinsei

Banned
Cucurbitacée;231125118 said:
Hey, another embargo broken!

You're not seriously implying that magazines are breaking embargo, are you? They get to release reviews early so that they are not a month late.

Does the lighting and cell shading look the same on both on the final version?

I'm on blackout right now.

Yes, they are the same. The only real difference of the Switch build is the better environmental audio. Everything else better on the Switch is because of the hardware( faster loading time, less clipping and less frame drops).

kunonabi

So we've seen European copies of the wii u version in the flesh but have we seen the Japanese or American ones yet? I really want to see how the box art with the blue cases look.

Top Bottom