• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Astral Dog

You're over thinking it in the extent that everyone just has their own opinions and things the value/care about in games, be it professional reviewers or random posters on forums like GAF.

No one is wrong for being critical of Nintendo as they love their gameplay but hate that they keep doing underpowered hardware and art styles they dislike.

No one is wrong for loving the art styles etc. that Nintendo does and disliking more realistic graphics.

Different strokes for different folks and all that. I mean I get your point that it is what it is with Nintendo at this point. Hell, the Switch may end up the first Nintendo platform (other than virtual boy) that I don't own due to that and just slowly accepting I don't like enough of what they do anymore to shell out for their hardware that also doesn't fit my preferences. But I still have every right to express disappointment as someone who grew up on Nintendo and misses the "now you're playing with power" days when we got their incredible gameplay on decently powered consoles and were regularly wowed by them pushing graphics with things like the FX chip, the DKC games, pushing 3D with Mario 64 et al etc.
But you are indeed playing with power this time. Just a tiny,bit piece of power you can take anywhere you want.

There will be some seriously gorgeous pirtable games on the Switch,Zelda is just the beggining.

VanWinkle

exactly. and to be clear my main gripe with that dualshockers post was his high and mighty attitude and attempted undermining of the opinions of his peers around the industry. as I've said a few times already it was both childish and unprofessional.

The thing is, art style can only be BETTER by having better graphics quality, whether that's resolution and/or framerate, or texture quality, geometry, increased level of detail, anisotropic filtering, etc. Like, you don't have to separate graphics and art style. Graphics without a great art style (art style being subjective) is meaningless, and art style without great graphics is wasteful.

Other than being ugly? No, not really.

lol okay.

Mael

Less whinning about shitty dualshocker site and more gifs, please.
There's always negative nancies and the gaming industry is shockfull of them.
If a kid has shitty taste, as long as it's not mine I couldn't give less of a shit that he throws a hissy fit at technical terms he has no understanding over.

The thing is, art style can only be BETTER by having better graphics quality, whether that's resolution and/or framerate, or texture quality, geometry, increased level of detail, anisotropic filtering, etc. Like, you don't have to separate graphics and art style. Graphics without a great art style (art style being subjective) is meaningless, and art style without great graphics is wasteful.

Some art styles don't really work with more details in them.
Retro 8bits art style is exactly supposed to be what's on the tin, it's absurdly pointless to have that artstyle rendered in a top of the line engine that doesn't do anything with it.
To sum it up, art without limitation is worthless.
it's true for films, books, paintings and it's still true for games.

On the topic of visual tastes I also think The Last Guardian is more impressive than Uncharted 4, Final Fantasy XV and The Witcher 3.
TLG_screenshots_septpreview_09142016_01.0.png

the%20last%20guardian20161204132633.jpg

and like Breath of the Wild people complained about frame rate issues. For me Breath of the Wild, Bloodborne and The Last Guardian are three of the most visually appealing games this generation. There's something more appealing about a distinct art style than an attempt at realism.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
But you are indeed playing with power this time. Just a tiny,bit piece of power you can take anywhere you want.

There will be some seriously gorgeous pirtable games on the Switch,Zelda is just the beggining.

I get that, but hate portables now. Sold off my 3DS and Vita last year as I hadn't used them in ages. I just have no use for gaming anywhere but my mancave on the TV, have some neck issues that make looking down at portables painful (so I can really only play laying down) etc.

So for my usages Switch is just a very overpriced and underpowered console and it will have to build one hell of a game library or have massive price drops (or get a cheap console only version down the road) for it to be worth it for me personally. So I'm super glad BOTW is still coming to Wii U. :D

G.ZZZ

I do wonder how people would judge this game if they've never played a Zelda game before.
Because like it or not, love for a certain franchise can certainly cause you to overlook various flaws that immediately stand out to you in other games.

This game getting a 10/10 from someone that's playing his very first Zelda means a whole lot more to me than the game getting a 10/10 by a Nintendo fanatic with a Triforce tattoo. But I might be alone on this.

I mean, I can't really disagree with that guy about the game's technical and visual presentation. But what I want to know is whether the actual game part made up for all those slights.

The dude praised a Vita game for its graphics and then proceed to shit on zelda and pre-emptively accuse others of being impartial.

Totally fair opinion bro.

EDIT: not to talk the site it's all about "real games for real gamers", i mean, grow up seriously.

spekkeh

Banned
Editor of Dualshockers:

Graphics don't look outdated, just different and stylized, come on!
Lol banned site gonna banned site. Someone got triggered by the Vice and Gamecentral remarks over Horizon.

No Zelda does not get a pass over having poor IQ because it's Zelda, it's getting a pass because all the IQ in the world doesn't factor into whether a game is good or not.

Aldric

If we're talking colorful stylized graphics l actually like the way Kingdom Hearts 3 looks a lot. lt's good to see this kind of game is still being made. DQXI is another one, although this one looks sort of shit.

Astral Dog

lol okay.
Nintendo proritizes "gameplay" over pushing graphics,cinematics,etc realistic or otherwise and energy efficient systems.

they like to think they achieve some balance by trying to be unique,sometimes this can work well,others it won't and they can be rightfully critizised.

Maybe we have to accept they are advancing at their own pace,tech wise the jump from Wii to Wii U was massive for them and no amount of preparation would be enough.but Switch has the potential to be a great machine despite lacking the pushing power of its competitors

phanphare

Banned

I never separate graphics and art style. for me graphics are what's presented to me on the screen. so while I can certainly agree that BotW could look better with certain improvements (like most any game made for a specific set of hardware requirements) it's still a very appealing game to me visually and like I said before I struggle to think of a current gen game that I think looks better.

so I can agree with your point but it obviously doesn't detract enough from the game for me to have an issue with it

(also your post had nothing to do with the post that you quoted from me ;p)

Mael

If we're talking colorful stylized graphics l actually like the way Kingdom Hearts 3 looks a lot. lt's good to see this kind of game is still being made. DQXI is another one, although this one looks sort of shit.

KH3 seems a bit shit on the style though, it's going for the CG look of the prerendered sequences of the old games.
Doesn't really fit well with the actual games that went for a more cartoonish look that meshed rather well.
Heck the highlight of KH2 for me was the pirate world with how they handled a more realistic setting with KH's distinctive looks.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Wii U version is good but that's not surprising as we knew switch 720p handheld mode version was looking good too. It seems the dock version is the one with occasional dips but a lot of outlets said it wasn't that often or distracting. Mmmm choices choices.

Kthulhu

Lol banned site gonna banned site. Someone got triggered by the Vice and Gamecentral remarks over Horizon.

No Zelda does not get a pass over having poor IQ because it's Zelda, it's getting a pass because all the IQ in the world doesn't factor into whether a game is good or not.

Why is Dualshockers banned? Serious question.

Hoo-doo

Banned

Talking about art style, I think Ni No Kuni 2 is outdoing pretty much all of them when it comes to emulating a cartoon/anime. It's ghibli through and through.

You know I have long prided myself on never buying a console at launch because they always never have enough games and they may have problems in the earlier models, but here I am now thinking of pulling the trigger and its pretty much because I never bought a Wii U

Cucurbitacée;231125434 said:
Yes, they are the same. The only real difference of the Switch build is the better environmental audio. Everything else better on the Switch is because of the hardware( faster loading time, less clipping and less frame drops).

Thanks.

Mael

I'm wondering something though.
Can you eat stuffs when you're gripping the walls or in the middle of an action?

jariw

This is amazing. Wonder how they actually intend for you to get to the chests. Platform you can move around?

That's not how BotW is designed. Most puzzles seem to have multiple solutions.

Other solutions: You use stasis to knock down the chests. Or you could use the ice Rune to build steps towards the chests.

Can you eat stuffs when you're gripping the walls or in the middle of an action?

Yes.

phanphare

Banned
Talking about art style, I think Ni No Kuni 2 is outdoing pretty much all of them when it comes to emulating a cartoon/anime. It's ghibli through and through.

yeah that shit looks slick as fuck and I'd prefer its graphics to many other games that are doing more impressive things technically

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!

Climbing don't know, I don't think we've seen food that replenishes Stamina, extend yes, but not replenish. Fighting yes, as long as you are in control, don't think you can if you've taken damage and have been knocked down.

I'm pretty put off by that if we are being honest. The characters look way to different than the environment that it's off putting.

Was never a fan of the gameplay either.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
You know I have long prided myself on never buying a console at launch because they always never have enough games and they may have problems in the earlier models, but here I am now thinking of pulling the trigger and its pretty much because I never bought a Wii U

It's definitely more appealing if you don't have/never had a Wii U.

For one, it's the only way you can play Zelda. Well, you could buy a Wii U, but that would be kind of silly at this point IMO.

For another, MK8 and any other Wii U ports it gets (Smash problably, maybe Mario Maker or a sequel etc.) will be totally new to you. Sequels like Splatoon 2 will also be fresher (no pun intended) if you've not played the first to death.

Wii U version in motion.

Looks really good. Curious to see some footage with extreme weather and other things Edge says led to drops.

Mael

Climbing don't know, I don't think we've seen food that replenishes Stamina, extend yes, but not replenish. Fighting yes, as long as you are in control, don't think you can if you've taken damage and have been knocked down.

Cucurbitacée;231127964 said:
Yes, you eat stuff in the pause menu you can call at any time.

Thanks!
I know what is the 1rst stuffs I'll do then!
Scavenge to get the max number of items to replenish stamina and climb down the great plateau without the glidder!

Wil348

The Wii U version looks decent enough, but the 'haze' (I can't remember the technical term) in the background when the camera is pointed at the Temple of Time looks is very distracting. Hopefully Switch handheld mode won't have this issue.

Top Bottom