• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

smudge

I'm actually considering getting a pre-owned WiiU just for Zelda, because at this point in time £279.99 is just too much to gamble on an unknown quantity like Switch.

I did this. Picked up a 32gb WiiU on ebay for £130, you could probably get one for a few quid cheaper if you bother to watch auctions. I've never been more hyped for a game, this is insane levels of hype... 3 DAYS!

Problem solving

iJGiLISlzVo1q.gif

Fireworks
F8HpmlrLmYAU.gif

Don't take out personal vendettas against reviewers who don't like a game you haven't played yet...
I know hype it high, but please remember we have ZERO basis of judging a review's merits until we play the game for ourselves.
It can be upsetting if a game you're looking forward to isn't universally praised, I suppose, but it's not really a logical position when you think about it.

Get out of here with that reasonable thought and common sense argument. I am curious to read the reviews now. The hype train on this game is crazy and the Switch hype is piggybacking directly off of the new Zelda hype.

Aldric

it wasn't the technical critiques that I had a problem with, though that was literally all he focused on which is weird, but how he threw shit at everyone else for being blinded by nostalgia or wearing super thick rose tinted glasses or giving Zelda a pass because it's Zelda

that's the kind of stuff that is childish imo

Yeah the "it's ok when Nintendo does it!!" narrative raises pretty big flags. Oh well. l fully expect a few reviews in that tone anyway, it's true the game does look dated on a purely technical perspective and for people who prioritize presentation it's going to be a deal breaker.

it wasn't the technical critiques that I had a problem with, though that was literally all he focused on which is weird, but how he threw shit at everyone else for being blinded by nostalgia or wearing super thick rose tinted glasses or giving Zelda a pass because it's Zelda

This. I've never understood this logic. If you don't like a widely beloved series, chances are everyone's not giving it a pass, you're just in the minority. He writes it like he's taking some sort of high ground ("not everyone gives Zelda a pass because it's Zelda"), as if his opinion of the game somehow isn't subjective.

Yeah the "it's ok when Nintendo does it!!" narrative raises pretty big flags. Oh well. l fully expect a few reviews in that tone anyway, it's true the game does look dated on a purely technical perspective and for people who prioritize presentation it's going to be a deal breaker.

I actually don't think we will. Maybe one or two.

And the whole discussion is not about a preview from dualshockers, but some kind of preemptive discussion against a hypothetical review that it's not even clear that it's going to be written by the same person that you brought into discussion.

So all you are doing is to make sure that the dualshockers' review will have a big number of views from people looking for this.

Actually you're right, we have no idea if they're even going to review it. Or who will be doing that. We're getting a bit riled up for no reason.

On a more Zelda related note, I have a very, very first world dilemma. I'm going to pick up my Switch and Zelda Thursday night at midnight and want to play it as soon as I get home, but that will be in bed on the small Switch screen.

Am I doing myself a disservice by playing it in handheld mode first? Should I experience it on my 61'' TV first? I haven't been to any event yet so I haven't gotten to play the game at all.

Don't take out personal vendettas against reviewers who don't like a game you haven't played yet...
I know hype it high, but please remember we have ZERO basis of judging a review's merits until we play the game for ourselves.
It can be upsetting if a game you're looking forward to isn't universally praised, I suppose, but it's not really a logical position when you think about it.

There's some of that happening for sure, but there's also some good stuff to take away from this. If a reviewer can't show the kind of discretion and awareness to recognize his or her own bias, it reflects poorly on his or her ability to engage a work of art.

It calls to mind the point of a review.

Hoo-doo

Banned

I do wonder how people would judge this game if they've never played a Zelda game before.
Because like it or not, love for a certain franchise can certainly cause you to overlook various flaws that immediately stand out to you in other games.

This game getting a 10/10 from someone that's playing his very first Zelda means a whole lot more to me than the game getting a 10/10 by a Nintendo fanatic with a Triforce tattoo. But I might be alone on this.

I mean, I can't really disagree with that guy about the game's technical and visual presentation. But what I want to know is whether the actual game part made up for all those slights.

His name is Giuseppe Nelva, and he expressed those opinions in the comment sections here and here.

Quite frankly I think he comes off as a bit childish and biased. But hey he's the guy that runs a website, he can express whatever he wants.

Here's the main point:
Lololololol

The guy had a Gaf account called " Abriael " and was banned. One of those unpleasant Sony fans.

Kind of says it all that the only thing he seems to be focusing on is presentation.

Kinsei

Banned
See, I think people are confusing antiquated gameplay and open world mechanics with different levels of accessibility. If you compare Witcher 3 to Horizon it makes Horizon look 'antiquated' to some people. Witcher 3 is chock full of Side Quests, which can be overwhelming to some and Breath of the Wild sparing uses its placement of side quests similar to Horizon actually.

I think Breath of the Wild is way more approachable for more casual gamers than Witcher 3 by a mile. I'm not saying it is a casual game, its just easier to get into and learn than Witcher 3 and its plethora of controls, abilities, locations and meandering story which may take you time to get back to between doing 20 side quests.

I'm writing this as a fan of all 3 games and the way they treat players. I just wouldn't call anything Breath of the Wild is doing 'antiquated' just different. It's approaching its accessibility a different way to either Witcher 3 or Horizon.

I fail to see how any games gameplay can look antiquated when compared to The Witcher 3. That games gameplay and open world were merely serviceable.

Actually you're right, we have no idea if they're even going to review it. Or who will be doing that. We're getting a bit riled up for no reason.

On a more Zelda related note, I have a very, very first world dilemma. I'm going to pick up my Switch and Zelda Thursday night at midnight and want to play it as soon as I get home, but that will be in bed on the small Switch screen.

Am I doing myself a disservice by playing it in handheld mode first? Should I experience it on my 61'' TV first? I haven't been to any event yet so I haven't gotten to play the game at all.

Play it on the big screen first. It will make the eventual transition to portable mode more mindblowing .

Dynomutt

Very fair and I agree this is what dialogue is about. That was not a fair statement. To argue though he is saying what many people think about all well established AAA titles.

Bloodborne, Witcher 3, and, UC4 were argued to be GOTY before they launched. All had minor issues. Occasional drops and frame pacing but it was overlooked. To this day you can not bad talk this games because they are so viciously defended.

I think the difficult thing is that it is in great contrast to what other reviewers are saying which causes me to pause and assess.

This is the issue I had with the USGamer review. It was great but I could not co-relate the issues the USGamer reviewer had with issues other reviewers have to find balance. I still respect it.

I do wonder how people would judge this game if they've never played a Zelda game before.
Because like it or not, love for a certain franchise can certainly cause you to overlook various flaws that immediately stand out to you in other games.

This game getting a 10/10 from someone that's playing his very first Zelda means a whole lot more to me than the game getting a 10/10 by a Nintendo fanatic with a Triforce tattoo. But I might be alone on this.

It can also cause some people to be more critical, especially in cases like this that deviate from the norm of the franchise so much. Nostalgia isn't always beneficial to the perception of a game.

Problem solving

iJGiLISlzVo1q.gif

Fireworks
F8HpmlrLmYAU.gif

Dear god why is it still monday...

Play it on the big screen first. It will make the eventual transition to portable mode more mindblowing .

Hmm the other thing I should probably mention is that not going straight to bed when I get home will probably upset my wife, though maybe if I'm quiet enough she won't wake up when I get home...

And hell if I'm gonna wait until morning to play it! I doubt I'd be able to sleep!

phanphare

Banned
it's also exceedingly unprofessional to say things like that about your fellow colleagues around the industry. he's basically trying to invalidate the opinions of many of his peers around the industry and put himself on a pedestal with some of the things he said which actually goes beyond childish.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I'm excited to play Horizon and Zelda. They'll both be great.

I'm just happy that there's been a lot of awesome games coming out recently.

Same. Hard to play them all at once, but it's not like they're going anywhere.

I'll dive in to Horizon tomorrow after work, probably check out Zelda (Wii U version) when I get it Friday, but not really dive into it until I'm done with Horizon.

Mass Effect will probably be out before I'm done with both, so I'll probably just mess around with the MP in that until done with those two.

Great time to be a gamer!

Glad I'm not the only person thinking this.

I'm gonna play it all day at home on Friday on the TV, but when my wife comes home, I'm switching to portable (she doesn't want to be spoiled).

Really curious (and excited!) about how that transition will feel.

If it was Jose or Peer I would be concerned but I really dont listen to anything Alanah says. Her and Altano seemed pretty clueless on everything switch/Zelda in the last few NVC episodes.

Andre from GameXplain isn't too hot on the voice acting either. But no one seems to think it detracts from the story or the overall experience.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
How's it not good by today's standards? It's a different style. Not everything goes for realism

True. But even for a cartoony artstyle, the textures aren't great, it has frame drops etc. due to the hardware being underpowered. So I don't think it looks nearly as good as things like Gravity Rush 2 or the Ratchet and Clank remake, as a couple of examples, personally.

Not everyone is bothered by that stuff though. I don't really care as I don't like cartoony artstyles in the first place so I'm not going to fuss over frame drops and texture quality personally. And that's a big part of why I'm prioritizing Horizon (along with that being more narrative-driven which I prefer and also want to get through before having it spoiled).

Boem

How's it not good by today's standards? It's a different style. Not everything goes for realism

I agree with that guy you quoted. It's not a question of realism, it's more a question of graphical fidelity. I'm excited for this game but even I have to agree that graphically it looks to be a couple of years behind on the competition. Not in terms of artstyle (which is great), but plenty of games that have also gone for non-realistic/cartoony styles just achieve a lot more.

phanphare

Banned

I mean, I can't really disagree with that guy about the game's technical and visual presentation. But what I want to know is whether the actual game part made up for all those slights.

I would think that someone playing their first Zelda game would be even more blown away then someone who is a life long fan of the series. Zelda fans are a strange bunch and have so many varying expectations for the series and what they want out of it as well as extremely high standards for what the game should be. getting two Zelda fans to agree on something is a pretty challenging task.

I'd say it's certainly technically and visually impressive when you look at games Nintendo has made, and that's even before the amazing art style.

But it's hard to deny that there are much better looking games out there with better textures, better LoD, better effects... Don't get me wrong, the game certainly looks amazing but it is a bit behind in some of these areas.

Considering it's a port from the Wii U though this isn't surprising or at all disappointing.

JoeM86

I agree with that guy you quoted. It's not a question of realism, it's more a question of graphical fidelity. I'm excited for this game but even I have to agree that graphically it looks to be a couple of years behind on the competition. Not in terms of artstyle (which is great), but plenty of games that have also gone for non-realistic/cartoony styles just achieve a lot more.

Could you cite examples on games and how they achieve more? Are they open world?

Aldric

Some textures are awful, there's quite a bit of aliasing and the geometry is simplistic.

lt doesn't bother me but you can bet it's going to bother some people.

I would think that someone playing their first Zelda game would be even more blown away then someone who is a life long fan of the series. Zelda fans are a strange bunch and have so many varying expectations for the series and what they want out of it as well as extremely high standards for what the game should be. getting two Zelda fans to agree on something is a pretty challenging task.
I haven't played a Zelda game since I was five so this is practically my first one. Let's see if it true.

Caelus

It's fine if there's a less than positive review. The problem is if people assume that just because a review isn't glowing, it's somehow more legitimate or grounded in better analysis.

Both positive and negative reviews can be level-headed and come from a rational standpoint, but it's a matter of reading and comparing reviews, which most people won't do. They'll compare scores and quote snippets and draw poor conclusions, hence why the review thread will be a shitshow.

Going by his statements I don't think that he's actually played the full game. He's probably not the reviewer for this game which means there's no reason to give any care to whatever he says.

As for the statement itself, it completely ignores game design so I have no reason to give a damn, it just makes him look like a fool.

jariw

That's how some people value an artist's work.

If an artists draw some lines on a paper to create a picture, most people will try to see the artist's picture. But some people will skip that, and rather look at what kind of pen and paper that is used, and they refuse to see the artist's picture if the material used by the artist isn't top notch.

But if the artist's picture has values beyond the lines themselves, it will stand the test of time. If the picture only are created with the highest-quality material, it will be forgotten and replaced by something better.

Christ I'm debating buying a Switch in the next few weeks (if it'll even be possible) just for this game. It's a hrd sell though because it doesn't seem like there's anything else even remotely worth playing (to me) coming out for this thing for a good while after Zelda. If somehow they release a robust offering of gamecube games on VC I think I could get behind it.

If you have the money you will be better of with the switch version. Portable (will look miles better on the screen than on the wii u screen), 900p, better framerate (somone said Wii U version has more pop ups) and you will have forgotten the 300 bucks when other great games come out, which will. If you buy now for Wii U you will either play the DLC on Wii U (even if the switch version looks much better until then) or buy twice.

Top Bottom