• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
DS is certainly on meta...

And they review everything. You guys are starting to sound a like like the people in Horizon thread with the US gamer 5/10 review.

It sucks, but not everyone is going to see things how we do. All there is to it.
They must only have Metacritic for Sony games, because I looked at ALBW and No Man's Sky on Metacritic and didn't see a review by them.

TeamFlow

Neo Member
Alright guys, so here are my 50ct on this. I think when a game gets reviewed, performance should be a huge factor. Especially on a console only release where you cannot go the "but there are so many different pc configurations" way.

I know Nintendo still has the "but its so innovative, Nintendo dont need good gfx to shine" bonus (which we should get rid of soon imho as I have seen skyward sword emulated a few weeks ago and honest to god, it looked so gorgeous at times it took my breath away. and that is not a bad thing.), BUT...even if we take all the jagged edges for granted in a AAAAA release in 2017, I saw the game at a friends house last night on his Wii U and in short:

The performance is bad. And everybody with eyes can see that. And you notice that within the first 10 minutes of play.

And I will not let that be a "feeling" thing where people can be like "but it's fine for me". I bet all my hats (and I have quite some lovely hats I wouldnt wanna miss) that the fps drops below 20 on many occasions (especially in open areas where a huge amount of land is visible, when you pan around with your camera and it switches from you see a short distance to you see a huge distance, when there are effects like fog in play (thats a really bad one btw, fog just murders fps), when fights and thus visual effects occur, or when you visit cities/buildings. Frame pacing might be another issue when you move around in the open world, jump in the water, etc. Oh, but you can run absolutely smooth looking at walls btw.

Maybe some are less bothered with those issues than I am, but it should be a FACT that such a performance is bad. Nothing else.

And should such a fact influence reviews of the game? Yes. It should. It definitely should so they learn for the future that we aren't fine with that. A 10/10 game should not have issues which ruin the experience for some.

Apologies when this sounded like a rant at times. Might be my love for the Zelda franchise shining through because my Zelda journey started on the NES and so did my love for these games. And it makes me so angry because this Zelda...could be that 10/10. But like I saw it last night, it just is not in that state and I personally do not know if I even wanna experience it like that. This game deserves better. So much better. 50ct end.

What's even more embarrassing is that the review isn't even out yet, and the guy that doesn't seem crazy over BoTW isn't reviewing it either.

It's the epitome of sonething not getting worked up over.
Indeed...I'd be shocked if this isn't a critical darling. But people shouldn't be flabbergasted if every aspect of the game isn't praised either, lot of different taste in the critic world.

heringer

Alright guys, so here are my 50ct on this. I think when a game gets reviewed, performance should be a huge factor. Especially on a console only release where you cannot go the "but there are so many different pc configurations" way.

I know Nintendo still has the "but its so innovative, Nintendo dont need good gfx to shine" bonus (which we should get rid of soon imho as I have seen skyward sword emulated a few weeks ago and honest to god, it looked so gorgeous at times it took my breath away. and that is not a bad thing.), BUT...even if we take all the jagged edges for granted in a AAAAA release in 2017, I saw the game at a friends house last night on his Wii U and in short:

The performance is bad. And everybody with eyes can see that. And you notice that within the first 10 minutes of play.

And I will not let that be a "feeling" thing where people can be like "but it's fine for me".
I bet all my hats (and I have quite some lovely hats I wouldnt wanna miss) that the fps drops below 20 on many occasions (especially in open areas where a huge amount of land is visible, when you pan around with your camera and it switches from you see a short distance to you see a huge distance, when there are effects like fog in play (thats a really bad one btw, fog just murders fps), when fights and thus visual effects occur, or when you visit cities/buildings. Frame pacing might be another issue when you move around in the open world, jump in the water, etc. Oh, but you can run absolutely smooth looking at walls btw.

Maybe some are less bothered with those issues than I am, but it should be a FACT that such a performance is bad. Nothing else.

And should such a fact influence reviews of the game? Yes. It should. It definitely should so they learn for the future that we aren't fine with that. A 10/10 game should not have issues which ruin the experience for some.

Apologies when this sounded like a rant at times. Might be my love for the Zelda franchise shining through because my Zelda journey started on the NES and so did my love for these games. And it makes me so angry because this Zelda...could be that 10/10. But like I saw it last night, it just is not in that state and I personally do not know if I even wanna experience it like that. This game deserves better. So much better. 50ct end.

You absolutely WILL NOT let it, huh? You show them!

They must only have Metacritic for Sony games, because I looked at ALBW and No Man's Sky on Metacritic and didn't see a review by them.
Dunno the history of the site, but see their score on Horizon is up on meta...

@Teamflow yeah performance can be a big deal for some...well see on release soon, I'm personally getting it on Switch. Think my only gripes will be weapon breaking and weak voice acting/story. Not too bothered with drops unless they are absolutely horrible.

Neoweee

And I will not let that be a "feeling" thing where people can be like "but it's fine for me". I bet all my hats (and I have quite some lovely hats I wouldnt wanna miss) that the fps drops below 20 on many occasions (especially in open areas where a huge amount of land is visible, when you pan around with your camera and it switches from you see a short distance to you see a huge distance, when there are effects like fog in play (thats a really bad one btw, fog just murders fps), when fights and thus visual effects occur, or when you visit cities/buildings. Frame pacing might be another issue when you move around in the open world, jump in the water, etc. Oh, but you can run absolutely smooth looking at walls btw.

Essentially none of the reviews in the first few weeks will be of the Wii U version, which is certainly to its favor.

Jobbs

Banned
I don't see reviewers dinging the switch version's score because the wii u version has performance issues. That makes no sense.

Why is everyone on GAF suddenly so negative about the game after all the superlative previews that made it seem like one of the best games we've gotten in a long, long while?

Neoweee

I don't see reviewers dinging the switch version's score because the wii u version has performance issues. That makes no sense.

Shadow of Mordor is proof that reviews don't get docked for last-gen versions being goddamn fucking terrible, so it probably won't matter at all here.

Why is everyone on GAF suddenly so negative about the game after all the superlative previews that made it seem like one of the best games we've gotten in a long, long while?

Now we have the power to watch friends play the last gen version of the game.

marrec

Banned

Cause people have watched streams of the Wii U version, or pirated the Wii U version, and it's got a hitchy framerate I guess?

*shrug*

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
What's been wrong with it though? I've been hearing a lot about framerate here; is that it or is there something off about the actual game?

Don't you know? Games are a series of sequential frames, and the speed at which they refresh is their only characteristic.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Don't you know? Games are a series of sequential frames, and the speed at which they refresh is their only characteristic.

Yes, for example this is why Ocarina of Time is regarded to be a severely flawed trainwreck (only 20 FPS). Thankfully we finally got a playable version of Ocarina of Time on the 3DS (too bad about the low resolution though, I could barely look at it).

Servbot24

Banned

My favorite games are Dark Souls, Majora's Mask and Shadow of the Colossus. You gonna come over and smack them out of my hand?

Coffinhal

There have been great posts of people being positive, but the negative is more discussed (especially pir...people that only played the tutorial area on Wii U)

But debate is good.

Just because it doesn't matter to you, doesn't mean it doesn't matter to anyone else. I was so adamant about getting the WiiU version until I saw the videos. Nope can't do it now

Maxinas

I agree, every game that doesn't run with stable 60fps is absolute trash, and shouldn't be praised. Every game needs to be on a PC to experience their full potential.

Jacce

Banned

Reviewers weren't sent the WiiU game. They are reviewing only the Switch release prior to release day. The WiiU game is completely irrelevant for the reviews we are getting as Nintendo isn't supplying the US press with WiiU copies. And the framerate issues and the like aren't a concern for Switch.

The WiiU release may as well not be happening when it comes to the US media reviews. It isn't being taking into consideration at all as it is not being reviewed. Switch is the only factor here. WiiU is 100% meaningless for the reviews we are getting, period.

ckaneo

Reviewers weren't sent the WiiU game. They are reviewing only the Switch release prior to release day. The WiiU game is completely irrelevant for the reviews we are getting as Nintendo isn't supplying the US press with WiiU copies.

This is not true. reviewers were sent the wii u version.

The important ones anyways. Most people (especially of the youtube variety) got the switch only.

TeamFlow

Neo Member
I loved OOT and had no problem with the fps there. Same with The Order 1886. I do not argue for the sake of arguing numbers. I have been registered for over 2 years now and that was my first post. Believe me, it took something for that to happen that I felt the urge to write something myself in here.

It sometimes feels like you talk about fps like its just a fancy shader which is not really important. It is important when the game stutters in moments you care if it does. And for me it is even important when just the frame pacing of a game is horrible because the change in smoothness that causes is huge.

This game got announced for the Wii U when there was not even a Switch announced. Now nonchalantly being like "its the version for the old console get on with it" is not what we need either I think.

Edit:
I saw more answers were written when i wrote this one.
"I agree, every game that doesn't run with stable 60fps is absolute trash, and shouldn't be praised. Every game needs to be on a PC to experience their full potential." - make fun of it. That's what Neogaf people are known for when people argue about meaningful things right?....I thought otherwise.
" Switch is the only factor here. WiiU is 100% meaningless for the reviews we are getting, period." - I think you are right. And I think thats wrong for many reasons, most of all, all people including myself who were stupid enough to buy a Wii U.
"...play it on Switch then?"- I do not spend that much money on a new console for one game when this game gets a release on a console I already own.

Jobbs

Banned
I have trouble relating to people who would spoil everything by watching pirate streams with only days to go, but I wish we had our "no one knows anything" thread back :(

This game got announced for the Wii U when there was not even a Switch announced. Now nonchalantly being like "its the version for the old console get on with it" is not what we need either I think.

I agree framerate is incredibly important and most devs undervalue it -- but I don't care if the wii u version is framey because I won't be playing it, and reviews of the switch version likewise shouldn't care.

I legit watched a few hours of the Wii U streams (skipping spoiler heavy bits ofc).

The frame rate is fucking fine. Seemed to run at smooth 30 apart from the odd occasion where there was a lot going on the screen. Oddly not during combat, rather in a wooded area with especially dense foliage and a body of water + other effects going on.

Didn't watch the plateau gameplay, but reports say that area struggles less than the Switch version.

Everybody need to chill. We got through blight town which was a hell of a lot worse.

ASIS

This is not true. reviewers were sent the wii u version.

The important ones anyways. Most people (especially of the youtube variety) got the switch only.

Really? Which reviewers?

I loved OOT and had no problem with the fps there. Same with The Order 1886. I do not argue for the sake of arguing numbers. I have been registered for over 2 years now and that was my first post. Believe me, it took something for that to happen that I felt the urge to write something myself in here.

It sometimes feels like you talk about fps like its just a fancy shader which is not really important. It is important when the game stutters in moments you care if it does. And for me it is even important when just the frame pacing of a game is horrible because the change in smoothness that causes is huge.

So the game should score less because there are other versions that run worse?

marrec

Banned
I legit watched a few hours of the Wii U streams (skipping spoiler heavy bits ofc).

The frame rate is fucking fine. Seemed to run at smooth 30 apart from the odd occasion where there was a lot going on the screen. Oddly not during combat, rather in a wooded area with especially dense foliage and a body of water + other effects going on.

Didn't watch the plateau gameplay, but reports say that area struggles less than the Switch version.

Everybody need to chill. We got through blight town which was a hell of a lot worse.

I used to not see framedrops but since I got a computer capable of doing 144fps in the newest games I'm cursed to seem them and it fucking sucks :lol

I'll live tho, I still don't REALLY care.

For me, framerate (or resolution, IQ, etc.) only knocks a game down when it actually impacts the play experience, usually only when I've gotten used to playing the same game with better performance on another platform or something. If a game just happens to have some frame drops or poor AA, it usually doesn't deter my enjoyment of the game.

So I'll probably never replay the N64 version of Ocarina of Time, but if Breath of the Wild has some slowdown and jaggies on Switch, it won't bother me unless it makes it difficult to play the game.

One thing that really does bother me, though, is playing Skyward Sword on an HDTV. The artifacts are really bad in that game.

NSESN

DS is certainly on meta...

And they review everything. You guys are starting to sound a like like the people in Horizon thread with the US gamer 5/10 review.

It sucks, but not everyone is going to see things how we do. All there is to it.

I think the problem isn't the negativity in his statements. My problem with it is that hm implying that people positive about the game have rose tinted glasses with no review released yet. He could make his point without this shit. In my opininon all the fanboy hate he is getting is deserved because he sounded like a fanboy.

The Witcher 3 got a lot of 10/10 reviews and the game had major frame rate issues and bugs on release and they fix it after many patches so the Wii U version of Zelda can be a 10/10 game even with frame rate issues.

TeamFlow

Neo Member
So the game should score less because there are other versions that run worse?

I see this thread being called "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread"

And with Wii U being what most people will play the game on at launch, yes, I think it matters. Can the Switch Version score higher? Sure can, and should, if it performs better.

ASIS

No worries, I think Game Informer also mentioned that in their spoiler-free impressions earlier.

Yeah, there are few perfect games (like Tetris), but this game is taking a lot of risks, shaking up the conventions of a series older than me. It will never be 'perfect', higher ambitions means more compromises and missed potential and that applies to every big game like this and Horizon.

Eh, there are two ways to reach excellence (IMO).

The first is to take the tried and true and perfect it, a game like, say The Last of Us may not have that many innovations but it does everything so well that it left people in awe ( this is just an example, please don't turn this into a TLoU thread).

The second way is to make something so new and unique that there's nothing else quite like it on the market. Wii Sports fits this description well. Yeah it had faults, yeah the controller wasn't perfect, and the visuals were very plain. But the experience was so novel I just didn't care really. If you really can't handle Wii Sports then think Shadow Of The Colossus.

I think BoTW will be the second route. It won't be perfect but I feel like it does too many things different both for the Zelda series and in the current gaming market. That's what I'll base my opinion on. And that's why slight dips here and there are of no concern for me.

I see this thread being called "The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread"

And with Wii U being what most people will play the game on at launch, yes, I think it matters. Can the Switch Version score higher? Sure can, and should, if it performs better.
That's what people are telling you though. This is not an excuse for the Wii U but for YOU specifically. You want better performance for the game? Get the Switch version and lookout for the Switch version. You can call out the Wii U version all you like but fact still remains that there is a solution for your problems.

Mael

The Witcher 3 got a lot of 10/10 reviews and the game had major frame rate issues and bugs on release and they fix it after many patches so the Wii U version of Zelda can be a 10/10 game even with frame rate issues.

The game fucking crash on me on PS4!
If we're looking at technical excellence we're not using the benchmark at all.
Heck Skyrim on PS3 got near perfect scores as well and this version shut down when you play the game too much!
And people here downplayed that by saying "who play the game more than 50hrs?"

ckaneo

I dont have a TV so I will be playing BOTW in handheld mode only. Selfishly speaking of course, but I dont care about about all the Wii U or docked mode performance issues. And of course the screen is small enough the image quality will be excellent on my end.

Sucks for the rest of all though. Except pirates, I wish yall the worst.

KingBroly

Banned
The game fucking crash on me on PS4!
If we're looking at technical excellence we're not using the benchmark at all.
Heck Skyrim on PS3 got near perfect scores as well and this version shut down when you play the game too much!
And people here downplayed that by saying "who play the game more than 50hrs?"

Yeah, I think many reviewers throw out technical problems nowadays, which is very unfortunate. Bethesda's the biggest culprit there in terms of lowering the bar.

But if BotW, framerate aside, is as bug-free as we've been led to believe, it's going to raise the bar a bit in regards to technical problems not being acceptable.

ckaneo

Honestly, performance reallly isnt expected like it use to be.

SKyrim was straight up unplayable on my end because of bugs and glitches.

Krowley

Generally speaking, open world games are given a lot of slack for technical issues and bugs.

And for the most part, I think that's appropriate. Bigger game worlds are obviously going to make it harder for devs to maintain consistent quality.

From the sounds of things BOTW may have some minor performance issues, but it doesn't sound like it's buggy, which is a step up over most other open world offerings.

LordKano

Lmao

Jacce

Banned
And with Wii U being what most people will play the game on at launch, yes, I think it matters.

Hahaha that is nowhere near the truth. They aren't even advertising or marketing the WiiU release whatsoever.

They are shipping vastly more Switch copies. They are going to a one and down shipment for WiiU, like was the case for Twilight Princess on GCN. It's all about pushing the Switch release.

The Wii U version isn't even being advertised. I do not think at any point it will outsell the Switch version, even at launch with Switch capping at two million.

Jacce

Banned
The Wii U version isn't even being advertised. I do not think at any point it will outsell the Switch version, even at launch with Switch capping at two million.

Nintendo knows what they are doing, look at TP. They shipped a much smaller quantity of TP for GCN compared to Wii for their initial shipments. Was pretty much a one and done shipment and thats it.

WiiU hardware has already been pulled from store shelves, WiiU software won't be up for much longer. There is going to be vastly fewer copies of WiiU discs than Switch cartridges for this day one, without question.

Plum

The reviews drop at March 2 at 3:00 AM PT/6:00 AM ET/11:00 AM GMT/10:00 PM AEDT.

I will post the review thread one hour before that.

I get back from Uni that day literally half an hour after reviews start to hit.

For me, this GIF will never be more appropriate.

Shocked-Troy-Walks-Into-Fire-With-Pizza-Community.gif

Top Bottom