• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

One thing that I am glad about this thread is how little Horizon talk i have seen, I didn't expect this from Zelda fans, that is imo the most toxic Nintendo community. Sadly I can't say the same about other forums or threads.

Well aren't we all smart and considerate grown ups who're able to enjoy different things. I don't quite get the logic that I couldn't enjoy both of the games. But Zelda is probably my all time favorite game series so I'm naturally looking forward to Zelda more.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Any time I read people wanting to see other people get mad for the lulz, I just wonder...why?

Because people are petty...

Honestly, I don't think it's so much people being petty and wanting to see individual people get mad, as it is the meltdown threads are entertaining to some when this site is frankly a snoozefest most of the time. :)

Watching nerds rage over something as banal as video game review scores can make slow days at desk jobs go much faster. :)

Ninjimbo

Why? Any time I read people wanting to see other people get mad for the lulz, I just wonder...why?
Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe it's cuz I've spent so many years seeing the same thing happen over and over again that the overreactions became obnoxious. I remember 8.8 and I thought it was dumb way back then.

The reaction to the USGamer score on Horizon was just embarrassing.

LotusHD

Banned
Honestly, I don't think it's so much people being petty and wanting to see individual people get mad, as it is the meltdown threads are entertaining to some when this site is frankly a snoozefest most of the time. :)

Watching nerds rage over something as banal as video game review scores can make slow days at desk jobs go much faster. :)

Still classifies as being petty to me. Yea sure, some of us get a little kick out of stuff like that. But it just becomes weird (and slightly embarrassing tbh) when I see people nonchalantly talk about how excited they are to see those meltdowns. But that's just me...

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
What do you think the over/under is on 100%? I'm thinking 350 hours.
No way it'll take that long, they aren't going to put in a bunch of filler content just to make the game incredibly long. I'm thinking that it'll take a maximum of 150 hours to 100%, which is plenty enough for me.

Edit: I totally understand why some people would be entertained by a low Metacritic score, it's fun to see people rage about low reviews.

Dystify

Hmm. I could always look into altering the amiibo data with a pc software or cell phone. It is just a NFC chip.

The only advantage to Wolf Link is that he has more hearts than your average pet in the game. It's not a must-have in my opinion.

Edit: He only has more hearts if you complete all the trials in TPHD.

No way it'll take that long, they aren't going to put in a bunch of filler content just to make the game incredibly long. I'm thinking that it'll take a maximum of 150 hours to 100%, which is plenty enough for me.

Remember, according to the strategy guide there are
120 shrines, 76 sidequests and 900 korok seed puzzles
. And those
korok seed puzzles
I've seen from the links in the OP aren't all that quick!

Kinsei

Banned

Without a guide I think getting all of the Korok seeds would take a while. Assuming you don;t get some kind of Korok tracker once you collect enough (or via a side quest later in the game).

The only advantage to Wolf Link is that he has more hearts than your average pet in the game. It's not a must-have in my opinion.

Do we know, for sure, that you can get a pet that does the same shit as Wolf Link? I had thought that to be the case too, but I haven't seen any of it in these previews.

Lgndryhr

Will definitely look into it before I buy for sure. Never bought an amiibo before. Didn't need them with no Wii U and all of my 3DS games don't use them except Smash 3DS.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Still classifies as being petty to me. Yea sure, some of us get a little kick out of stuff like that. But it just becomes weird (and slightly embarrassing tbh) when I see people nonchalantly talk about how excited they are to see those meltdowns. But that's just me...

Fair enough. I come away from GAF annoyed more often than not, so I take what little amusement I can get here were I can get it.

Kindekuma

Banned
Do we know, for sure, that you can get a pet that does the same shit as Wolf Link? I had thought that to be the case too, but I haven't seen any of it in these previews.

Yes. There are foxes and wolves in this game aside from the Wolf Link amiibo bonus. I haven't tried taming foxes yet, but you can tame wolves.

Fireblend

Banned

Well, it's a silly thing to get mad about, but mostly I think I'd rather see people confronted with the opportunity to react reasonably to a still good but not perfect score, and understand that game scores aren't that relevant, and that a 5 point distinction isn't important, rather than have their unreasonable expectations and "score mania" validated. Celebrating or "melting down" within a 3-point spectrum is silly and I want that recognized by more people.

Has there been any discussion on how this runs on an sd card vs the cart?

Appears Amazon may be jerking around with my preorder so I may have to go digital, but I can wait if the sd card read is inferior and takes longer to load.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
. And those
korok seed puzzles
I still don't think those will take you 350 hours to complete, I think you underestimate how insanely long 350 hours is. I don't even think Skyrim takes that long to complete, and it's a much slower game with tons of repetitive content.

Tuck

. And those
korok seed puzzles
So... Those korok seed puzzles. Are they basically the equivalent of the riddler puzzles from the Arkham games?

LordKano

I still don't think those will take you 350 hours to complete, I think you underestimate how insanely long 350 hours is. I don't even think Skyrim takes that long to complete, and it's a much slower game with tons of repetitive content.

Xenoblade X takes that much time to 100% it.

350 hours without a guide doesn't seem too much to me to perform a 100%. Depending on your understanding of the mechanics, it could be much more.

Yeah, I don't get it either. Maybe it's cuz I've spent so many years seeing the same thing happen over and over again that the overreactions became obnoxious. I remember 8.8 and I thought it was dumb way back then.

The reaction to the USGamer score on Horizon was just embarrassing.

I always thought 7.9 was more worth getting worked up over. 8.8 is practically 9 but 7.9 is like, almost 8 but more deliberately Not Quite 8.

mothball

wow

try getting laid :)

I always thought 7.9 was more worth getting worked up over. 8.8 is practically 9 but 7.9 is like, almost 8 but more deliberately Not Quite 8.
8.8 is a classic moment in gaming history. The score was a good score but it came at the wrong time and Jeff suffered the wrath of insanity for it. Man, what a day that was. Luckily even if Jeff reviews this game again he cant give it an 8.8.

Neoweee

Xenoblade X takes that much time to 100% it.

Yes, but can be immensely tedious, due to the RPG grinding and the goddawful interface and limitations.

And How Long to Beat lists a median of 200 hours, or 150 shorter than you suggest. Mean isn't reliable, because that one guy that spent 800 hours is dragging it up.

https://howlongtobeat.com/game.php?id=21287

It is literally impossible for Zelda to have an interface and quest limitations that is a Xenoblade X-level trainwreck.

I've spent over 500-600 hours in Skyrim and probably haven't 100%ed it. I guess if you go through a checklist one by one without letting yourself get distracted to knock out all of this stuff it might take less, but I seriously don't think most people would be able to do it in less than 300 hours.

Unless you're following a strategy guide of course.

Galang

Banned
Yes. There are foxes and wolves in this game aside from the Wolf Link amiibo bonus. I haven't tried taming foxes yet, but you can tame wolves.

This is awesome. I just hope they
arent all stuck at 3 hearts. I love having companions in open world games.

Afrodium

Banned
Guys relax lol, last week i got kind of worried with some concerns you showed and then the previews blew them all away. The game won't take a turn to the worst after that. Jason from kotaku already finished and posted on the "Best zelda" thread that his favorite was breath of the wild, he is putting the game on a high pedestal even after finishing the game. An Edge 10 is also nothing to scoff at and generally indicates the direction that other reviewers will go with their feelings and scores.

Like, i am a guy that has a lot of anxiety, but sometime you need to put things into perspective. The time to "panic" about the game's quality is already far behind us, friday already showed how great the game is and the spoilers that i saw basically confirms that it is a very great game.

like, relax, only few days to play the game

The only thing to be concerned about at this point is the Wii U performance. Impressions make it clear that this is a great game at the worst, all time classic at best.

...But you know someone is going to give it an 8 and people in the review thread will lose their goddamn minds

Sane_Man

Hmm. I could always look into altering the amiibo data with a pc software or cell phone. It is just a NFC chip.

I've looked into doing this and I think it's possible but seems complicated to me. One method means buying some Action Replay devices. I think people managed it with an Android phone but IIRC you needed to have at least played Twilight Princess to have the pre-required data on the Amiibo.

If you figure it out a PM would be appreciated!

marrec

Banned

100% with you

This is also the same thing that fuels trolling, but instead of observing you get in there and physically poke the nerds.

Sane_Man

This is awesome. I just hope they
arent all stuck at 3 hearts. I love having companions in open world games.

If you can increase the hearts of wolves then hopefully that means you can Wolf Link. In that case I don't need to worry about trying to hack the Amiibo. I'd rather do it the proper way (the proper way that doesn't include buying Twilight Princess, completing it, obtaining all hearts and finishing the cave thing lol).

Lgndryhr

I've looked into doing this and I think it's possible but seems complicated to me. One method means buying some Action Replay devices. I think people managed it with an Android phone but IIRC you needed to have at least played Twilight Princess to have the pre-required data on the Amiibo.

Noted! I will definitely wait and see, but will do some research too.

Dystify

Countdown until review thread goes up

t1488448800z1.png

Countdown until reviews drop

t1488452400z1.png

You do indeed need the TP data on the amiibo from what I understand. There was a post about in reddit. I haven't tried yet since I don't have my wolf link amiibo with me. I'll pm it to you when I get home.

Sane_Man

You do indeed need the TP data on the amiibo from what I understand. There was a post about in reddit. I haven't tried yet since I don't have my wolf link amiibo with me. I'll pm it to you when I get home.

Thanks. Looks like I'm shit out of luck then since I don't have the Wii U version (and I'm selling my Wii U tomorrow).

Top Bottom