• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Not really my experience. A lot of my non- zelda friends are really excited about this.

Fair enough, and always the problem with anecdotes as we all have our own self selected social bubbles I guess. Few gamers in my social circles period, and no one who's into comics, cartoons, anime etc. so maybe my take is just biased from a self selected peer group that doesn't like cartoonish entertainment in general.

I'm sure it's a great game and will sell well (as long as Switch doesn't tank). I'm mildly excited for it, have it preordered (only because I don't want Switch and worry the Wii U version will end up scarce like the GC version of TP), and look forward to checking out out some on Friday and diving in deeper after finishing up Horizon. But I'd be super excited for it if it was on more powerful hardware and had more of an OOT/TP art design at current gen graphics standards.

PrimeBeef

Not at all. As I said, it looks great in motion. It's just on weak ass hardware with poor IQ so it looks rough in a lot of screens, shitty YouTube videos etc. even compared to other cartoony games on more powerful systems.

It's just not eye catching to people who aren't huge fans of Zelda/Nintendo/these type of art styles is all I was saying. My fiance (who doesn't like games) has walked by when I was watching a stream of this and said nothing, and comments everytime we see a Horizon ad about how she can't believe games look like that now for instance. Zelda lacks that "wow factor" is all I was saying, as we were talking about artstyle, graphics and appeal to mainstream/casual gamers.

My daughter hate's Zelda games. my wife is indifferent to them. Both have interest in this game. My wife thinks it gorgeous and loves the art style as do I. My daughter loves that they took the restrictions off and lets you do pretty much anything as do I. I am a Nintendo guy, but not the biggest fan of Zelda games. While I have played them all, I cannot say I loved them all. There is nothing that I have seen or read that tells me this will not be the best Zelda to date.

Firemind

Not at all. As I said, it looks great in motion. It's just on weak ass hardware with poor IQ so it looks rough in a lot of screens, shitty YouTube videos etc. even compared to other cartoony games on more powerful systems.

It's just not eye catching to people who aren't huge fans of Zelda/Nintendo/these type of art styles is all I was saying. My fiance (who doesn't like games) has walked by when I was watching a stream of this and said nothing, and comments everytime we see a Horizon ad about how she can't believe games look like that now for instance. Zelda lacks that "wow factor" is all I was saying, as we were talking about artstyle, graphics and appeal to mainstream/casual gamers.
Can you play Horizon on a handheld device? No? Then they're not comparable.

takriel

I hate to say it but I might reduce my anticipated score too.

People like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/5wkr91/warning_sony_shill_site_dualshockers_will_give/

Will be bringing the score down in a big way.

These criticisms don't really apply to me. Boo hoo the graphics aren't the same as Horizon, that must mean every game on the ps3 and below is worse than Horizon.

It's important to read why exactly reviewers give the game a bad score. If it's just because of the graphics and technical limitations, you can bet your ass I'm going to ignore them!

Jobbs

Banned
I'm still expecting this game to score in the 80's on Metacritic. I just heard impressions on the DLC podcast and the guy made a big deal about it not being technically impressive, weapon degradation being annoying and the game feeling a bit grindy. There wasn't a lot of details but he didn't sound super impressed with it which kinda leads me to believe that more casual gamers will be less enthused with what Zelda is doing.

He also said something about it being the hardest Zelda.

It'll get 95+

These criticisms don't really apply to me. Boo hoo the graphics aren't the same as Horizon, that must mean every game on the ps3 and below is worse than Horizon.

By that standard every game on any platform including PC is worse than Horizon :D

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
In terms of visuals, I certainly agree with you but, more often than not, I've noticed that games, if they're compelling enough, are successful regardless of graphical fidelity or art style, such as Overwatch, Rocket League, Pokémon and MineCraft. I wouldn't call any of those games impressive in terms of graphics but people find them so fun that they don't really care. I get where you're coming from though but I don't think it'll be an issue if people think the game looks enjoyable

Oh I agree. Visuals are just one way to get people interested and to take that closer look. Games can do it on the basis of gameplay as well, and generate buzz and word of mouth that gets mainstream gamers and casuals interested.

That said, Zelda is a bit tougher there as it's never been the most accessible game gameplay wise, and BOTW seems less so than recent entries with weapon degradation, supposedly being a fair bit more difficulty than other 3D Zeldas etc. So time will tell their how it does after the diehards are done with it.

Jacce

Banned
Breathe of the Wild is a handheld game, Horizon isn't. What BotW can do as handheld title is beyond impressive. I didn't compare 3DS games to PS4. I am not going to compare Switch games either. It is a handheld that can also be played on the tv, and I judge it as thus.

Cloukyo

Banned
It's important to read why exactly reviewers give the game a bad score. If it's just because of the graphics and technical limitations, you can bet your ass I'm going to ignore them!

I've got no respect for game reviewers who dock points for graphical technical limitations. Fair play if it looks ugly, but the Switch version of BotW is by no means an ugly game.

Graphics whores are what's wrong with the games industry.

Rodin

People like this: https://www.reddit.com/r/zelda/comments/5wkr91/warning_sony_shill_site_dualshockers_will_give/

I've got no respect for game reviewers who dock points for graphical technical limitations. Fair play if it looks ugly, but the Switch version of BotW is by no means an ugly game.

Graphics whores are what's wrong with the games industry.

That guy isn't even reviewing the game though, so who knows. It's certainly unprofessional to deliberately shit on a game (he's been doing this since december apparently), but his opinion shouldn't matter to the other reviewer.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

That's a lame counter point. A lot of people don't give a shit about handhelds, hence how much the market has shrank over time. A lot of people are looking at playing Horizon or similar on their big screens or Zelda and other Nintendo games on their big screens.

Aside from that, we weren't discussing what the graphics could/should be relative to the hardware their on, but just how they catch (or don't) interests of the mainstream in TV ads. If they don't catch a person's interest, they're unlikely to notice or care that it's a handheld instead of console. Granted, the Zelda Super Bowl ad did a good job of showing it being played both ways. Time will tell if that hybrid feature has much appeal to the mass market--especially in the US where most outside the lower class are in decent sized homes with multiple TVs. But that's beside the point of what type of art styles and graphics catch people's eyes best and make them say "wow" and want to learn more about the game.

I think the point they're trying to make is that it isn't a comparison being made between knowledgeable, die-hard gaming fans. To the casual gamer or non gamer, it doesn't matter what hardware is displaying what. The Switch isn't a technological marvel to casual- and non-gamers. It's just another gaming device that's no different than an XBOX, Playstation, or DS.

So when you compare a screenshot of BotW to a screenshot of HZD, I can see why one would spark no interest or comment, while the other would gets gawks and dropped jaws. Zelda's style (Nintendo's style) just isn't as eye-catching, and in a world where media is constantly raising the bar and pushing the limit on realistic graphics (in TV, Movies, and games, 4K, 8K, high-definition), that artstyle is just going to be overlooked despite its intention.

Jacce

Banned
That's a lame counter point. A lot of people don't give a shit about handhelds, hence how much the market has shrank over time.

For Nintendo FAAAAAAAAAAAAAR more care about handhelds than consoles. Their handheld market dwarfs their console one. Primarly handheld gamers are Nintendo's core market. If Switch is a major hit it will be due to appealing to the handheld market that stuck with 3DS but did not get a WiiU.

I'm a huge proponent of this. A reviewer is entitled to their opinion. It's up to the consumer to actually read and understand the score. Your values clearly don't match up to someone who is mostly concerned with resolution and frame rate, so you have every right to move on and find a reviewer who is looking for the same things you are in a game. The low score for graphics and performance will be great for someone with that kind of mindset and hopefully save 'em 60 bucks on Zelda.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Some guy in the other thread complained that the battle music is too much like Wind Waker's.

GOAT soundtrack incoming?

takriel

I don't personally think so but we all have our spoiler gauges. The title is the name of a location we already know about.

However the nature of the music could get you thinking about more context.

Ah yeah, already heard that one. It's a really really good track, but I'm not sure yet if it tops every single Zelda track there is.

marrec

Banned
You and I both know that's not the same thing.

Remote play is balls.

Remote play is alright, especially for something like Horizon, it just requires a stable connection which is not something you are going to always have. I certainly wouldn't say that Horizon is a "handheld" game because of remote play though.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think the point they're trying to make is that it isn't a comparison being made between knowledgeable, die-hard gaming fans. To the casual gamer or non gamer, it doesn't matter what hardware is displaying what. The Switch isn't a technological marvel to casual- and non-gamers. It's just another gaming device that's no different than an XBOX, Playstation, or DS.

So when you compare a screenshot of BotW to a screenshot of HZD, I can see why one would spark no interest or comment, while the other would gets gawks and dropped jaws. Zelda's style (Nintendo's style) just isn't as eye-catching, and in a world where media is constantly raising the bar and pushing the limit on realistic graphics (in TV, Movies, and games, 4K, 8K, high-definition), that artstyle is just going to be overlooked despite its intention.

Exactly. It's true even at the hardware level. Outside of people who love and want portables, Nintendo fans, hardcore gamers etc. people are just going to look at games like Horizon and UC4 etc. on PS4 or Halo, Gears, Forza etc on X1 and then see games that look like Zelda on Switch and think "why would you want that over those?" Aside from people that love cartoony artstyles etc.

It's been a big problem for Nintendo for ages, really from the N64 vs. the PS1 and on when Sony could show all those FMV and CGI cut scenes in ads and generate mainstream hype and Nintendo couldn't.

Not saying that's good for gaming or anything, just pointing out the marketing challenges.

Ah yeah, already heard that one. It's a really really good track, but I'm not sure yet if it tops every single Zelda track there is.

For me, and this is getting into speculation going by the track title and nature of the music, it's because it sounds to me like the music that is
leading up to the final battle, you're going through the castle toward Ganon and that really courageous/heroic, LET'S FUCKIN' DO THIS motif kicks in
and that's just epic as hell to me.

I think it's easily one of the most epic tracks I've heard in a game, but I didn't say it was the best track in a Zelda game :p

jariw

But that guy will not review the game...?

Eh, true, but I feel dual shocker's ethos towards games will probably gravitate close the editor's.

Maybe I'm wrong, hehe

How much did their Wii U review scores differ from the rest of the press?

takriel

For me, and this is getting into speculation going by the track title and nature of the music, it's because it sounds to me like the music that is
leading up to the final battle, you're going through the castle toward Ganon and that really courageous/heroic, LET'S FUCKIN' DO THIS motif kicks in
and that's just epic as hell to me.

I think it's easily one of the most epic tracks I've heard in a game, but I didn't say it was the best track in a Zelda game :p

Yes, it certainly does that very well!

Have you listened to the Staff Roll yet? How is it? The one from Skyward Sword is easily one of the best tracks period for me.

Peltz

Oh I agree. Visuals are just one way to get people interested and to take that closer look. Games can do it on the basis of gameplay as well, and generate buzz and word of mouth that gets mainstream gamers and casuals interested.

That said, Zelda is a bit tougher there as it's never been the most accessible game gameplay wise, and BOTW seems less so than recent entries with weapon degradation, supposedly being a fair bit more difficulty than other 3D Zeldas etc. So time will tell their how it does after the diehards are done with it.

But it's sort of got that Minecraft "it-factor" of allowing a lot of experimentation particularly with physics. I have a feeling youtube videos could make this one more popular than previous entries.

Have you listened to the Staff Roll yet? How is it? The one from Skyward Sword is easily one of the best tracks period for me.

I skimmed through it, it's no Skyward staff roll but really not much is. But it's good. Typically it's your amalgamation of various themes from the score. It ends with
the E3 2016 trailer theme

conpfreak

There are so may biased opinions and poor arguments surrounding this game because of the hype that it's really annoying. There seems to be a level of scrutiny of Breath of the Wild that I do not remember recently given to other big titles. For instance, had Final Fantasy XV had the same amount of scrutiny related to the graphics, gameplay, and voice acting, the game would have been critically panned yet FFXV reviewed >80. Witcher 3 had performance issues as well as launch, and it's combat system is what it is. Anyone remember GTA V PS3/360's performance? I feel bad that some gamers miss out on some amazing experiences with games because they are compelled to not like a hyped game that isn't from their "team".

There are so may biased opinions and poor arguments surrounding this game because of the hype that it's really annoying. There seems to be a level of scrutiny of Breath of the Wild that I do not remember recently given to other big titles. For instance, had Final Fantasy XV had the same amount of scrutiny related to the graphics, gameplay, and voice acting, the game would have been critically panned yet FFXV reviewed >80. Witcher 3 had performance issues as well as launch, and it's combat system is what it is. Anyone remember GTA V PS3/360's performance? I feel bad that some gamers miss out on some amazing experiences with games because they are compelled to not like a hyped game that isn't from their "team".

seriously, it's so annoying... fanboys never go away.

After putting 20+ hours into Final Fantasy XV, it should have been panned a lot more than it was. The game is honestly pretty bad.

i don't know where you were in the lead up to ffxv but literally every thread was people shitting on the graphics, the voice acting, the gameplay (hold to win) etc.

Top Bottom