• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I don't get it. I don't remember any pineapples in Zelda...?

You get a pineapple from the Bear Chef in the Animal Village in Link's Awakening in exchange for a Honeycomb. You then give the pineapple to Papahl, who is lost in the hills in Tal Tal Heights, just like he told you he would be.

I love Link's Awakening.

Audioboxer

Those towns do look rather bad. I was hoping it would be OK. There's no way I can afford a switch so this was my only option. I might pass if it's going to be that bad.

DF will be 1,000x better than that terrible capture, but yeah, it still shows how shoddy it can get. Must be low 20's, high teens?

HylianTom

Banned
You get a pineapple from the Bear Chef in the Animal Village in Link's Awakening in exchange for a Honeycomb. You then give the pineapple to Papahl, who is lost in the hills in Tal Tal Heights, just like he told you he would be.

I love Link's Awakening.
Every time I see a hibiscus, I think of that game.. :)

I love Link's Awakening.
I totally just played that game not even a year ago. I guess you can take my Zelda fan card :(

heringer

Gamespot is discussing the game right now on Youtube. Tons of praise.

Since MGSV they don't discuss this much emergent situations, but they said even MGSV can't compare due to a lot of factors outside of player's control in Zelda. Also, tons of details that they just keep discovering.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Damn that cover is epic.

jXBzKnV.png

DF will be 1,000x better than that terrible capture, but yeah, it still shows how shoddy it can get. Must be low 20's, high teens?

Yeah I'm not going to take much from other areas of the video without DF, but the towns do seem to go Lowe and stay low. Definitely looked like it went below 20 a few times at least. What worries me is it doesn't let up in the town. It can have even more severe drops but it seems to hover at low 20s really often.

I really hope it's just bad capture exacerbating the issue but my hopes aren't too high.

Yep, a 95 is very possible this generation. Here are the five games I think have a legitimate shot:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Red Dead Redemption 2
Super Mario Odyssey
The Last of Us Part II
Grand Theft Auto VI

I also think God of War may end up surprising everyone. I believe Cory Barlog has it in him to deliver by far the best game in that series.

Damn forgot about some of those games. I agree with you. I really want Persona 5 to be part of that list, butthat after reading some of the negatives in the Impressions thread, I think it'll probably fall short of 90. Review thread for this game should be entertaining lol.

AdanVC

Damn that cover is epic.

jXBzKnV.png

First time I feel a genuine admiration towards an imaginary character with all of this fine illustrations. He looks sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo badass. Pretty sure that admiration is going to increase once I play the actual game.

correojon

Nintendo's live tweeting their Zelda GDC conference for anyone curious https://twitter.com/NintendoAmerica
Thanks! Soaking it in :)

This might be nothing but...in the presentation they´re showing a 2D prototype with the original LoZ assets. What´s intriguing is that the bushes, rocks and all objects in the world project a little shadow, which wasn´t there in the original LoZ. Why go the extra mile to do this? Do you know what other game did this? Super Mario Maker added these type of shadows to all styles (SMB, SMW, NSMB) even if only SMB3 originally had them. Yeah, I´m calling it: Zelda Maker incoming for Switch!

Let a man dream

Arkeband

Banned

This might be nothing but...in the presentation they´re showing a 2D prototype with the original LoZ assets. What´s intriguing is that the bushes, rocks and all objects in the world project a little shadow, which wasn´t there in the original LoZ. Why go the extra mile to do this? Do you know what other game did this? Super Mario Maker added these type of shadows to all styles (SMB, SMW, NSMB) even if only SMB3 originally had them. Yeah, I´m calling it: Zelda Maker incoming for Switch!

Let a man dream

There already was a Zelda maker, it's called Graal Online.

MomoQca

Bamboo 竹;231270391 said:
Don't quote him anymore. He is roaming Zelda threads with this negativity, maybe looking for some attention.

I can confirm this. skypunch is a known troll who has already had several of his alts banned at GameFAQs.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
People really think that this is going to get a Metacritic score in the 80's, lol.

Journalists/Press/Reviewers of GAF: I need some questions answered for the BotW OT - a few straight forward clarifications to make sure I don't misinform the forum!

Could anyone that's had extensive time with the game answer a few of these questions for me?

PM me if you can!

heringer

Gamespot talking about the game is making me even more hyped. They were really, really impressed with the game. Words like "revolutionary" and "same feeling as playing OoT for the first time" are being throw around. They can't wait to talk more about the game. Tomorrow!

Sheroking

People really think that this is going to get a Metacritic score in the 80's, lol.

It actually might.

Horizon got dozens and dozens of perfect scores and sits at 88. RE7 and Nioh were pretty well received, mid 80s each.

85 is the new 90 thanks to some extreme dissenters.

Astral Dog

Limited Edition shipped but so far no sign of the Switch... i can see it already coming, i will get the game tomorrow and the console next week on tuesday or so.

tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif
I hope this is a truly dramatic scene,like Ganon killing everyone and shit,starting with Zelda's dad.

I would be dissapointed if it was something mundane :p

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Limited Edition shipped but so far no sign of the Switch... i can see it already coming, i will get the game tomorrow and the console next week on tuesday or so.

tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif

Only thing shipped for me so far is the damn pro controller lol, I have a feeling the rest will get here next week :(

atr0cious

Let a man dream
I know you're slightly kidding, but shadows are literally a checkbox now a days. This was made to plan out the world in a simplified way.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
It actually might.

Horizon got dozens and dozens of perfect scores and sits at 88. RE7 and Nioh were pretty well received, mid 80s each.

That's assuming that those games are as well designed as Zelda.

KooopaKid

Banned
It actually might.

Impossible. I said it earlier. No EDGE 10 has a Metacritic lower than 90. It isn't going to change this time either.

This game is GOAT contender guys. I'm just loving the shit out of it. I played 8 hours straight.

And you've been pretty down on Nintendo games as of late IIRC.

That's damn high praise. If Mario Odyssey follows from this, do you think we're back to Nintendo's glory days of game design?

JoeM86

Ok, as long as there is actual basis for it. I guess people can't handle walking around and admiring the scenery. I missed out on Xenoblade so I haven't had a game with such great topology since FF12.

somerset_levels1_vb.jpg

Look at these fields. There's nothing to do there. Nature is a lazy developer
:p

PrimeBeef

It actually might.

HZD got 9 perfect scores from the critics, as of this morning.

1 50, and 3 in the 70s. I don't consider 4 50-70 scores as extreme. It also got a fair share of 80s.

Top Bottom