• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
HZD got 9 perfect scores from the critics, as of this morning.

1 50, and 3 in the 70s. I don't consider 4 50-70 scores as extreme. It also got a fair share of 80s.
Dozens and dozens, believe me.
6360489455192162291563850737_Trump.jpg

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
It's a good thing the next Nintendo title on Switch is Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. Makes the transition to non phenomenal games easier.

Timeaisis

Games don't score as high as they used to because there are so much more reviewers. That being said, I'm guessing 91-93 MC. I think many will love it, but a few will dislike the huge shift. I haven't played it, though.

Kindekuma

Banned
I wonder how it compares to Xenoblade X in sheer size or area of land.

I took a look at super imposing the map of BotW and XCX, using the great plateu as a rough estimate size of New Los Angeles. BotW's map has way more surface area than all regions of XCX combined, but XCX reaches out much further with large bodies of water separating the islands.

Rodin

I took a look at super imposing the map of BotW and XCX, using the great plateu as a rough estimate size of New Los Angeles. BotW's map has way more surface area than all regions of XCX combined, but XCX reaches out much further with large bodies of water separating the islands.

I may be wrong but i think the Plateau is much bigger than NLA tbh

PS: amazing avatar lol

Neoweee

I may be wrong but i think the Plateau is much bigger than NLA tbh

PS: amazing avatar lol

You are correct. NLA isn't really that big. Large for an RPG city, but it isn't even close to the Plateau. It barely fills the lake on the plateau.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Skyward Sword fans seem dismayed with the size of the map. Hype rising.

ubiblu

I did some maths yesterday based on the final map in grid format, and assuming the world borders are what I believe them to be, the Great Plateau is around 1.4% of the total playable space. Crazy.

Dystify

Also xenoblade had a flying mech, so it should be bigger

We saw a huge flying thing in the trailers before. I wouldn't be surprised if we can actually fly in some fashion in the game. Would be awesome. (If anybody knows the answer to this because of spoilers please keep it to yourself.)

The Lamp

A youtuber I really like named JohneAwesome posted a pseudo review after beating the game https://youtu.be/YxQ0MMhKkIE

He liked it.

I'm a little disappointed at his comment about 2-4 items letting you do everything. So there's nothing like "oh, how do I get to the bottom of that lake? I need to go find the iron boots somewhere to get that treasure." It's all kind of able and available at the beginning?

I'm a little disappointed at his comment about 2-4 items letting you do everything. So there's nothing like "oh, how do I get to the bottom of that lake? I need to go find the iron boots somewhere to get that treasure." It's all kind of able and available at the beginning?

The items you get at the start of the game are more versatile than any other items in the series.

Kinsei

Banned

That is a big disappointment. One of the things I really disliked about Link Between Worlds was them giving you almost every item at the start of the game.

I think it's more like a "item requirement doesn't truly gate you off from areas" and more that if you have enough ingenuity, you can get by with the runes that you got.

LotusHD

Banned

I don't know why people are so disappointed by that. In past games yea you'd get stuff like the iron boots, but then you'd barely use them outside of the dungeon. Having a select few items that can be utilized virtually everywhere sounds far more exciting.

I don't know why people are so disappointed by that. In past games yea you'd get stuff like the iron boots, but then you'd barely use them outside of the dungeon. Having a select few items that can be utilized virtually everywhere sounds far more exciting.

Exactly.

The Lamp

I would rather they use the mechanic more (e.g. The iron boots) than give you all rewarding mechanics at the beginning of the game

jariw

That is a big disappointment. One of the things I really disliked about Link Between Worlds was them giving you almost every item at the start of the game.

Haven't we known since E3 that the Runes can be used for all kind of crazy stuff? It's not that the runes auto-solves the game?

I would rather they use the mechanic more (e.g. The iron boots) than give you all rewarding mechanics at the beginning of the game

I'm far happier that the best developers on earth decided to try something new, instead of relying on the same Zelda tropes we've been experiencing for 30 years.

Kinsei

Banned
Haven't we known since E3 that the Runes can be used for all kind of crazy stuff? It's not that the runes auto-solves the game?

There's just something really exciting about getting a new item and figuring out everything you can do with it. Knowing that feeling will be front loaded is kinda disappointing.

Top Bottom