• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

takriel

There's nothing stupid about my posts. I don't see what Zelda's open world does any different to any other open world that makes it open world perfection.

I've heard complaints on this forum that areas are too barren and the world is too big for one.
How about you play it for yourself before being oh so negative about it?

sanstesy

And, from the few bit I've played, it doesn't really solve the problem. They should have mapped jump to Y, sprint to B and attack to X.

The attack button on X is extremely unintuitive. The only real potential solution would be to map run to L3 and that is also pretty unintuitive as the stamina gauge demands the run button to be pressed rather easily on and off.

Kid Icarus Uprising and Smash Bros. give you multiple control options and lets you map buttons.

Yes, the exception are games only made by Sakurai.

Platy

Kotaku put this image up by accident earlier in a FFXV article. Doesn't sound too bad. :p

C52m5QqWMAEfYSN.jpg

BULLSHIT !

...I am pretty sure I saw some "change jump button" option in the menu in a stream ... so you CAN remap one or two buttons xD

Hindl

Do we know how the game handles the map limits? Is there any invisible wall around the ocean?

Well you use stamina while swimming so they could just make it so the ocean stretches beyond what Link can swim with the maximum possible stamina

Called a 95 before. Think I'm going to drop it down to 92 after having played Horizon. Different games and all that, but solely on MC grounds, that shows me a raising of standards across the board plus some outliers will probably prevent it from hitting 95.

Lingitiz

Called a 95 before. Think I'm going to drop it down to 92 after having played Horizon. Different games and all that, but solely on MC grounds, that shows me a raising of standards across the board plus some outliers will probably prevent it from hitting 95.

Weren't most of the complaints with Horizon stemming from the open-world formula of the game being tried and true, despite being a new IP? Zelda being a Nintendo-take on the open-world genre with their own design solutions and refinements might address that directly.

correojon

I´m betting MC 92, I think there are many sites that will give it a low score because technically it´s not up to par with what you see in other consoles.

Well you use stamina while swimming so they could just make it so the ocean stretches beyond what Link can swim with the maximum possible stamina

But if you use a raft?

Weren't most of the complaints with Horizon stemming from the open-world formula of the game being tried and true, despite being a new IP? Zelda being a Nintendo-take on the open-world genre with their own design solutions and refinements might address that directly.

I suppose what I meant was, having played Horizon, I feel that the 88 MC is actually too low for what I would've pegged the game at given its quality.

In that vein, because Horizon is at 88, I feel my preidciton of Botw being at 95 is slightly too high.

heringer

No way this is hitting 95. Horizon or not. I don't think any game will this generation.

Xdrive05

So Giant Bomb is doing two feature-length quick looks, one of the early game and another one with later game content. So does that mean the first one will go up today and the 2nd one tomorrow?

Cucurbitacée;231271497 said:
Let me say that normally you won't reach the limit of the world. But with maximum stamina and over-abusing stamina potions you can eventually reach the limit.

Interesting...

Hey, thanks for being informative in these threads while still being really respectful of people's sensitivity to spoilers. I appreciate it!

Realeza

Banned
There's nothing stupid about my posts. I don't see what Zelda's open world does any different to any other open world that makes it open world perfection.

I've heard complaints on this forum that areas are too barren and the world is too big for one.

Dawg don't even visit the review thread or you will have a heart attack from the upcoming reviews praising the shit out of the game.

Vic_Viper

I can't speak to Horizon, but if you actually thought MGS V and FF XV had meaningful side content (they didn't), you aren't going to have any issues with this game.

MGSV might not have but FFXV was full of extra stuff to do inbetween quests. I hope your just being sarcastic lol....

skypunch

Banned
Dawg don't even visit the review thread or you will have a heart attack from the upcoming reviews praising the shit out of the game.

I'm not saying the game is bad. It's probably a great game, but some of what I'm reading is so fucking hyperbolic it actually looks delusional and plain hilarious.

I don't know, it's definitely a possibility. UC4 was at 94 for a long time before a couple of outlier reviews brought it down.

Yep, a 95 is very possible this generation. Here are the five games I think have a legitimate shot:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
Red Dead Redemption 2
Super Mario Odyssey
The Last of Us Part II
Grand Theft Auto VI

I also think God of War may end up surprising everyone. I believe Cory Barlog has it in him to deliver by far the best game in that series.

So why do you feel the need to continuously take a piss in Zelda threads? Your agenda is getting old

Hindl

So Giant Bomb is doing two feature-length quick looks, one of the early game and another one with later game content. So does that mean the first one will go up today and the 2nd one tomorrow?

Actually I think it's one quick look, but there will be a very clear demarcation halfway through that says everything from there on out will be stuff from a later save

I´m betting MC 92, I think there are many sites that will give it a low score because technically it´s not up to par with what you see in other consoles.

But if you use a raft?

You may not be able to get a raft to the ocean

Peterc

Horizon gets 87% at the moment and this specifically because for their high gfx. I don't think we need to place it beside zelda because: it is a different game and zelda is way better.

Horizon gets 87% at the moment and this specifically because for their high gfx. I don't think we need to place it beside zelda because: it is a different game and zelda is way better.

Cool. I'm not really comparing the games themselves nor their quality so...

Interesting...

Hey, thanks for being informative in these threads while still being really respectful of people's sensitivity to spoilers. I appreciate it!

No worries, I could appreciate the game by discovering everything by myself. I hope most people will be able to enjoy this satisfaction too.

Xdrive05

Actually I think it's one quick look, but there will be a very clear demarcation halfway through that says everything from there on out will be stuff from a later save

Ah, okay. In that case it will definitely be tomorrow. Hopefully up as soon as their review is up!

Orbis

Very excited to play this on Friday given the positive previews. I'll avoid reading reviews but will check the scores out of curiosity.

Also seeing this on the way home from work has raised the hype somewhat:

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Limited Edition shipped but so far no sign of the Switch... i can see it already coming, i will get the game tomorrow and the console next week on tuesday or so.

tumblr_static_filename_640_v2.gif

Top Bottom