• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

LotusHD

Banned
I would rather they use the mechanic more (e.g. The iron boots) than give you all rewarding mechanics at the beginning of the game

Eh, I think this approach is more... sensible, for lack of a better word.

There's just something really exciting about getting a new item and figuring out everything you can do with it. Knowing that feeling will be front loaded is kinda disappointing.

Now the fun is figuring out everything you can do with those runes, except now you get to apply it to a huge ass open world instead of a few dungeons and/or monsters.

The Lamp

I'm far happier that the best developers on earth decided to try something new, instead of relying on the same Zelda tropes we've been experiencing for 30 years.

You speak in mutually exclusive extremes.
I don't want them to solely rely on 30 year old tropes. I just wish there were more significant items to discover throughout the game instead of just being mostly fully equipped/able from the Great Plateau. I would expect there to be exclusive items in the desert or the ocean that would equip me better.

Dremorak

Banned
We saw a huge flying thing in the trailers before. I wouldn't be surprised if we can actually fly in some fashion in the game. Would be awesome. (If anybody knows the answer to this because of spoilers please keep it to yourself.)

giphy.gif

I don't want them to solely rely on 30 year old tropes. I just wish there were more significant items to discover throughout the game instead of just being mostly fully equipped/able from the Great Plateau. I would expect there to be exclusive items in the desert or the ocean that would equip me better.

We don't know that's the case. Well, without going into the spoiler thread anyway.

I mean, there are story quests in this game. One would assume these reward you with things.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
I feel like the specific lock and key approach with special items like iron boots would hamper the creative problem solving style they are trying to promote.

I am open to experiencing this other vision.

It's hard for me to assume that story quests reward you with significant items when I'm told the Great Plateau runes can solve almost everything in the game by themselves.

That doesn't mean you never get any new items.

You realize the approach to puzzles in this game is different, right? Almost everything can be solved in multiple ways.

The Lamp

I feel like the specific lock and key approach with special items like iron boots would hamper the creative problem solving style they are trying to promote.

I am open to experiencing this other vision.

I'm open to trying it, but know what I like, this sounds like it may be a little disappointing to me if it's not executed almost perfectly.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I've given up hope of being able to play Zelda this weekend, no way I'll get it by friday if they haven't shipped it yet :(

Aldric

Holy shit. I'm getting the same feeling I got when I looked at A Link to the Past's world map for the first time so many years ago.

It kinda looks like there's a
lake in the shape of a skull northeast of what I assume is Death Mountain
in the upper right portion of the map.

You don't need to spoiler tag that, we've known it since the game awards footage in late 2014. Makes me think it might be an undead themed province.

It's actually pretty remarkable the map seems to be the exact same.

Holy shit. I'm getting the same feeling I got when I looked at A Link to the Past's world map for the first time so many years ago.

It kinda looks like there's a
lake in the shape of a skull northeast of what I assume is Death Mountain
in the upper right portion of the map.

That feature was visible on the 2014 game awards demo map, but looks like they shrunk it down some

The Lamp

You realize the approach to puzzles in this game is different, right? Almost everything can be solved in multiple ways.

I didn't say it means you never get new items. I can imagine you might get a cool winter shirt or something by exploring a cave near a snow-capped mountain. But nearly all the puzzle-solving mechanics seem available from the Great Plateau. It may be solved in different ways, but it seems it's all solveable within the first hour of equipment. That may disappoint me. Then again, it's all speculation. That's all.

gardfish

So which way are y'all planning to go when you get off the Great Plateau? I really want to check out the southeast with what I assume to be Lake Hylia.

The Lamp

So which way are y'all planning to go when you get off the Great Plateau? I really want to check out the southeast with what I assume to be Lake Hylia.

I want to find the Zora ASAP. I like water levels and swimming gameplay so hopefully they offer some kind of underwater gear. I want it nao

Kinsei

Banned

Southeast for me too. Then again the northeast also looks really cool.

I'm sure whatever plans I have will go out the window once I start playing. I'll set off on one direction and then inevitably get distracted and probably end up going the exact opposite way.

gamerMan

That's what I am worried about too. I think that this game really starts with a blank slate. It's really only a Zelda game in terms of the story and name. The actual structure of the game is completely different. Hopefully while the mechanics are different, you still get that feeling of wonder and discovery when you would get a new item with other aspects of the game.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo can still keep it a Zelda game while at the same time throwing away everything that made a Zelda game.

gonna kill ganon. return the game

I have no idea what I'm going to do, maybe just stand there and take it in for a bit. Maybe go towards the "ocean"

That's what I am worried about too. I think that this game really starts with a blank slate. It's really only a Zelda game in terms of the story and name. The actual structure of the game is completely different. Hopefully while the mechanics are different, you still get that feeling of wonder and discovery when you would get a new item with other aspects of the game.

It will be interesting to see if Nintendo can still keep it a Zelda game while at the same time throwing away everything that made a Zelda game.

This game still has everything that makes a Zelda game a Zelda game. It just handles many of those things in new ways.

Hindl

This is basically the first Zelda game in 3D. If anything it's more true to the original than any other game in the series

ubiblu

This is easily my toughest decision. I played the Wii U version for 30 minutes to survey the land and plan my attack for the Switch Launch, but you know what: I have even less clue than I did before. Even referencing the final game map, I still have no idea. Maybe North-west?

This game is going to give people serious anxiety.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
I think I'll go my usual Skyrim-Fallout approach: head to the coast and walk along the beach for fifteen hours

How are people reacting to the hugeness of it with no frame of reference? I have no idea what this means

Well the Great Plateau is the demo area, which means the game is mindblowingly massive. Like really really big

Kinda off-topic but I thought this would be the best place to ask: has anyone had the Wii U version from Amazon ship today? Mine still says "we're preparing your order."

Dremorak

Banned

I can confirm I read something which made it sound like there were things you can do later on that is more than we get on the plateau. I have no idea what that entails, but there you go.

Bitanator

So people get hyped when they said they were rethinking the conventions of zelda, and when they actually do that, people get pissed? The Zelda cycle is real

Timeaisis

I think I'll go my usual Skyrim-Fallout approach: head to the coast and walk along the beach for fifteen hours

Well the Great Plateau is the demo area, which means the game is mindblowingly massive. Like really really big

Oh hey Currygan. I feel like I haven't seen you in forever. How about that Zelda, huh?

The Lamp

So people get hyped when they said they were rethinking the conventions of zelda, and when they actually do that, people get pissed? The Zelda cycle is real

Do you even read? There was a couple of people (including me) expressing concern about a certain style of game design, although I'm just speculating and am open to it. Nobody here is pissed about playing a new Zelda.

I'm SO SAD I have to wait an extra week to play this now.

Stupid girlfriend and stupid anniversary in stupid London.

ARRRRGH.

First thing I'm doing is hunting down the master sword, my theory is that it's to the south of the great plateau (as in OOT the Deku tree was south). So I'm headed south baby!

After that the peculiar looking island in the bottom right of the map linked previously.

Then ima ride a stag around hyrule field for a while.

Head to the desert area and see whats occuring there.

Look for the lost woods.

Explore Lake Hylia.

God damn this game.

Jobbs

Banned

I never played the demo so I don't have much sense of how big it is. I'll take your word for it though.

Someone told me it's about double the size of skyrim which sounds big enough!

Top Bottom