• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Honestly, I'm not impressed by the open world either from the bits I've seen. I've been trying to be on a blackout mostly, but the world itself is about near the bottom in terms of getting me excoted for the game.

The core mechanics look fantastic, the amount of care and love they've put into making everything work is fantastic. But the actual world?

Not feeling it at all.
I mean, everyone is saying the open world is great and delivering

If it takes away nothing, then why bring it up? Seems to me like it adds nothing to the conversation except criticizing just to criticize.
I was conversing with another fella about how MARIO 64 or OOT was so ground breaking on top of being some of the best console graphics you've ever seen and if BOtW can be as impactful without that same graphics benchmark. So it really wasn't brining it up for "nothing". Just conversing.

Chorazin

Any reports on whether it looks better on the switch screen or a tv.

Silly question but I'm curious if my 55 inch will just stretch the image too much

Both screens are wide screen and it switches resolution when docked. There will be no "stretching"

Skyward Swords 93 MC is such a joke.

3otPopvNe0rpIMVYvm.gif

phanphare

Banned

This game getting the same or similar will be pretty funny.

I, for one, can't wait to hear how because skyward sword scored so high that botw review scores shouldn't be trusted over and over in the review thread

we've got some fun times ahead of us

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't expect the Wii U version to run better than the Switch version, even at 720p. I'd be happy to be surprised though.

It's hard to say. The game was built for Wii U and ported, so that could help frame rate. Also the 720p and lower graphic details in grass etc. could mean it pushes the Wii U less than the enhanced version pushes the Switch.

Time will tell. I'm optimistic that they're not showing the Wii U version early as they don't want reports before launch that it's frame rate is better than the Switch version. In any case, I'll play the game on Wii U unless it performs MUCH worse than the Switch version as I don't want to wait too long to play it and have no intentions of getting a Switch before 2018.

I, for one, can't wait to hear how because skyward sword scored so high that botw review scores shouldn't be trusted over and over in the review thread

All it would mean is that it's another great Zelda game like Skyward Sword. There's nothing complicated about any of this. It's actually quite simple.

Reading all of the previews I'm feeling this game will really surpass The Witcher III as the most impressive game of the gen. It's a hell of start to the Nintendo Switch.

This even makes me even more excited for Mario Odyssey since that game also seens to be taking lessons from open world games.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how hard do you think it will be to grab a switch and zelda on launch without a preorder? I asked at a gamestop down the street and they have no idea how many they will have apparently.

Honestly, I'm not impressed by the open world either from the bits I've seen. I've been trying to be on a blackout mostly, but the world itself is about near the bottom in terms of getting me excoted for the game.

The core mechanics look fantastic, the amount of care and love they've put into making everything work is fantastic. But the actual world?

Not feeling it at all.
I think it's much better to explore yourself than watch someone play.

Emergent gameplay seems like a core design philosophy, it'll probably have a slow start because the world is gigantic, but there seems to be plenty of NPC that interact with you differently based on what's going on.

I don't think you need to worry. Item management is something that might get annoying late game though, but Zelda games usually have bigger bags and stuff you can find.

I mean, everyone is saying the open world is great and delivering

I've read some previews. I don't think they're really addressing my concerns. Most seem to be praising how dense and great the world feels to play in.

Which I personally differentiate from the world itself. It reminds me of MGSV in a lot of the sandboxy ways.

Granted, I haven't read/watched everything. I like to go into my Zelda games fairly blind to get maximum enjoyment or disappointment.

gamerMan

When reading these previews, it sounds like they are filled with a lot of hyperbole.

Having just completed it, we couldn’t help but think of Horizon Zero Dawn while playing Breath Of The Wild, and how simplistic it now seems compared to Zelda.

Read more: http://metro.co.uk/2017/02/24/the-l...-on-preview-eye-opener-6470487/#ixzz4Zd0nVmnG

Or this quote from Shacknews.

This is the sort of game that a thousand words can't begin to explain. It looks to be a game for the ages

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Reading all of the previews I'm feeling this game will really surpass The Witcher III as the most impressive game of the gen. It's a hell of start to the Nintendo Switch.

This even makes me even more excited for Mario Odyssey since that game also seens to be taking lessons from open world games.

Except... the Switch is a new gen.

phanphare

Banned
All it would mean is that it's another great Zelda game like Skyward Sword. There's nothing complicated about any of this. It's actually quite simple.

I love skyward sword by the way. I'd like nothing more than for that game to get redone for Switch with some thoughtful uses for hd rumble.

Any impressions on how long the game is if you treat it like a regular zelda game and just barrel through all the dungeons and fight the boss

sphinx

the piano man

I am not sure what to think about SS....

in terms of how much fun I had, I'd give it a 7.5/10, maybe 8.0/10, max. it was ok I guess but I didn't love it like Wind waker or even TP which I liked less than WW but more than SS.

but in terms of how good it is as a video game (so for example, efficiency of space, story, polish, mechanics, music, amount of palaces/dungeons, etc), I can see it being above 90 on metacritic,

if you, oatmeal, didn't have lots of fun with SS and proceeded to do your 7.5/10 review on the grounds of "I didn't have fun, it dragged here and there, it has no soul and heart" that would make your review piss poor and not worth anyone's time.

so this begs the question: can you objectively explain what is wrong with the game that it would deserve a lower score than 93/100?

Spinluck

The people looking at a bunch of GIFs and youtube videos and saying it might be the greatest game of all time are the exact reason why I hate being a Nintendo fan.

It's like one degree of cringe separation from that basement dweller gamer stereotype.

Just a little cleaner and more colorful.

Really weird that some people are seemingly upset that the game is getting such high praise based off these initial impressions.

Makes me wonder what the reactions from these same posters would be if the impressions were average or just a level below what we're getting.

the same kind of hyperbolic praise gets thrown around every time a 3d zelda is released. i look forward to playing the game and judging for myself.

Sure, but can't you agree it's a little different this time? All 3D Zelda's before now have followed a blueprint set by OOT. This one is setting a new blueprint

I love skyward sword by the way. I'd like nothing more than for that game to get redone for Switch with some thoughtful uses for hd rumble.

I really want an HD remaster of SS. I had so much fun with the TWW and TP HD remasters. Feels so odd if SS never gets one

E-phonk

Banned

It's a flawed gem with an actually very interesting zelda story - the origin of the master sword, zelda herself etc. But it could improve a lot if the complaints about it got fixed in a HD remaster (less fi, more streamlined tutorial, shortcuts in the last third of the game, some motion controls replaced). I bit in the same way as people judge wind waker higher now Wind Waker HD exists that solves some of its issues.

Another thing: at the time SS was the flagship of advanced motion controls (it launched when the plus remote was introduced) and people were impressed with the technology compared to the handwaving on kinect that was hit & miss. In a way Skyward Sword is still one of the most complex motion controlled games ever made, for what that's worth.
As far as I remember the backlash came a few months later.

MoonFrog

Ugh. Stop throwing Skyward Sword around like it is some black mark on the franchise. It is not. It was a fantastic game.

The GAF general consensus to the contrary is just a case of bad taste :)P), and should not be treated as received wisdom or a general background fact that proves all Zelda games are over-rated.

Heck, even if it weren't a 93, it wouldn't be much lower unless we are going to engage in hyperbole about just how "bad" it was.

Moreover, given that this game is more-or-less ditching both what Skyward Sword did right and wrong (probably for worse and better, respectively), how is it relevant?

No it isn't. It's an 8th gen system like the Xbox One, PS4, and Wii U.

?

Nope. It is Nintendo's 5th generation handheld or their 7th generation home console, which would be 9th generation.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Can't believe this game is coming out so soon---just remember February ends early this year. :)

ONE WEEK! I'm getting the Wii U Version so I hope nothing tanks the version unexpectedly---I'll have the week off too to play it!

Nope.

This is the best game of all time. It's also the best open world people have ever seen. Framerate issues don't matter.

Nothing matters! Not even the fact that most of these people making these statements have yet to play the game.

It's not enough to say it looks great and not kill yourself and everyone around you with hyperbole. But if you don't say things to those extremes, you are suddenly not excited at all.

Does look fantastic though. Hoping the audio is good because I've been spoiled by nice headphones that I use for single player games..

But I will spare you guys from my excitement, which is clearly not enough because I'm not proclaiming this a gift from god.
well to be fair, it'll be the same in the Persona 5 thread, Red Dead, Destiny 2, inevitable Horizon 2, etc...these are games that represent people's favorite past time, new iterations of greatness? It's easy to get hyped over, me I just haven't been gaming on Nintendo lately so I'm a little more outside looking in than others. Some people have fonder memories of Zelda games as well if they've been keeping up, I basically skipped Wiiu entirely.

Kthulhu

Ugh. Stop throwing Skyward Sword around like it is some black mark on the franchise. It is not. It was a fantastic game.

The GAF general consensus to the contrary is just a case of bad taste :)P), and should not be treated as received wisdom or a general background fact that proves all Zelda games are over-rated.

Heck, even if it weren't a 93, it wouldn't be much lower unless we are going to engage in hyperbole about just how "bad" it was.

Moreover, given that this game is more-or-less ditching both what Skyward Sword did right and wrong (probably for worse and better, respectively), how is it relevant?

It's a black sheep by Zelda standards.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
All of these glowing and hyperbolic impressions of Breath of the Wild remind me EXACTLY of the previews of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before and during their release. Every fucking person claimed each one was the greatest Zelda game since Ocarina of Time only for the backlash to hit HARD six months later. It feels like the same shit all over again.

Top Bottom