• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

I was thinking to myself yesterday that this game will probably be better than OoT. But then I told myself to calm my happy ass down, I'm just being a hyperbolic fanboy. Don't get too hyped or else you'll be disappointed.

Then I woke up and entered this thread.

Never played a Zelda game for more than an hour, but this game is looking great. I doubt I will get to play it any time soon as I won't be getting a Wii U or a Switch, but I'm jealous.

Kureransu

Again, it's 2017 and this is new hardware.

If it looks like this and runs at 1600x900, it should be running at 60 frames.

Who am I kidding? I'll play it and probably love it.

This was the year where we convinced ourselves that a tablet was a home console. That is the power we are getting from Nintendo in 2017.

honestly, it's because they continue to push hardware. It happens in open world games. It's is a port of a game with different architecture, but that isn't really relevant. No matter how powerful the hardware, the devs will always try to squeeze the best they can out of it within time allotted. Saying things like "it should be running at 60 frames" gives the impression that you don't quite understand how the process work in making a game.

Horizon is a great example of devs pushing the system as much as they can. It too has frame dips, but the game is so fantastic (at least based on reviews) it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. While I understand the worry of technical issues. Saying "X shouldn't be happening in 20XX" is just flawed.

Instro

some of the nitpicking in here is ridiculous

We have multiple sources hinting that this is a contender for the all time list, maybe the top ten or better and there are people pissing and moaning about frame drops.

Does it matter? Really?

Yes? Visual and technical issues hamper my enjoyment of a game. It's a visual interactive medium, these things are important. Frankly it potentially being an all time great really makes the frame rate and IQ issues that much more painful.

Tsunamo

I've been excited for Zelda but kept my expectations in check.

But after reading the general press concious and how amazing it is, dear god i'm in full hype mode. It's gonna be a long week to wait for it.

How do I stop myself from organisming constantly from pure euphoric gaming bliss while playing this game. Seriously I think it might be too good for me to play

Ahhh. But isn't that just the great plateu, which has been covered to dead already?
That's like the first hour. Any of the surrounding regions pretty much are fair game, as that's where I traveled to during my time with the game at that point. I actually used a stopwatch :-O

Edit: I should clarify. It was MY first hour, as I'd already experienced everything there was to see on the plateau before even owning this game. So I sped through it.

Redd

I'm going to have over 100 hours playing time in Botw when it's all said and done. March 3rd needs to hurry up.

Astral Dog

If anything, it doesn't look outdated because it has a unique timeless art style compared to games with photorealistic graphics.
I don't this game will age that well like the Wind Waker. Those "realistic" textures can look hideous and they need a total overhaul,unfortunately thats unlikely to happen.

E-phonk

Banned
Reading the previews and seeing several comparisons with MonHun, I wonder if this will be a 3D console zelda that caters more to Japanese gamers also. As in the past the consoles games weren't received as well (saleswise).

None, all Switch so far. As it stands, I'm not going to pre-order the game on Wii U until I know what the deal is with that version.

You're almost certainly not going to hear any new information on the Wii U version until the game releases. Either from the public/gaffers, or reviewers going out and buying their own copies.

Astral Dog

honestly, it's because they continue to push hardware. It happens in open world games. It's is a port of a game with different architecture, but that isn't really relevant. No matter how powerful the hardware, the devs will always try to squeeze the best they can out of it within time allotted. Saying things like "it should be running at 60 frames" gives the impression that you don't quite understand how the process work in making a game.

Horizon is a great example of devs pushing the system as much as they can. It too has frame dips, but the game is so fantastic (at least based on reviews) it doesn't really matter in the grand scheme of things. While I understand the worry of technical issues. Saying "X shouldn't be happening in 20XX" is just flawed.
Has always feel like a lame excuse tbh :/

I understand how it feels when you wish the system you are playing on was more powerful but this is weird.

Nothing below PS4 at the very least (including Xbox ONE) should be happening in 2017 but here we are.
With a Wii U handheld, and its alright.

Afrodium

Banned
You're almost certainly not going to hear any new information on the Wii U version until the game releases. Either from the public/gaffers, or reviewers going out and buying their own copies.

The street date for the Wii U version will probably be broken at some point next week, so we will get impressions.

whew.png

Loooooooooord I cannot wait another week.

I'm curious about a couple things but want to avoid spoilers, yes/ no answers would be very appreciated.

Does this have the traditional items like hookshot, hammer, various staffs, and others that are primarily used for puzzles? From the videos I've seen it looks like there's just bombs, bow and arrow, and weapons.

If yes to the above, can you get them in any order like Link Between Worlds? Seems like an obvious yes due to how the game works but just curious to confirm.

Any news about an ingame timer? Since theres no Activity Log on Switch (The dumb parental thing is not a AL) an ingame timer would be really, really nice.

mxgt

Banned
I am so glad I held onto my Wii U, I was on the verge of selling it.

Looks and sounds amazing, the only disappointment I have is it's not 60fps.

Vic_Viper

Has there been any videos or articles that discuss the Wii U version recently? Wanna know if they were able to get the frame rate locked at 30 or if there were still lots of dips like there were in the E3 Demos?

Also is it the Wolf Link Amiibo from Twilight Princess HD that works with Breath of the Wild and unlocks the Wolf companion?

DNAbro

Has there been any videos or articles that discuss the Wii U version recently? Wanna know if they were able to get the frame rate locked at 30 or if there were still lots of dips like there were in the E3 Demos?

Also is it the Wolf Link Amiibo from Twilight Princess HD that works with Breath of the Wild and unlocks the Wolf companion?

Nintendo only sent out Switch press copies. And yes that amiibo is what unlocks wolf link companion

Discomurf

Does the gave running smoother in handheld mode bode well for the 720p Wii U version?

Its hard to know until someone compares the final retail copy... the last clip we have of the Wii U version is from december and had some slight framerate issues IMO.

That said, I do think the Wii U version already looks like it may have more bloom, better contrast + dynamic lighting though - at least in the indoor scenes. So that might be the one strength to this version.

jariw

Again, it's 2017 and this is new hardware.

If it looks like this and runs at 1600x900, it should be running at 60 frames.

Who am I kidding? I'll play it and probably love it.

This was the year where we convinced ourselves that a tablet was a home console. That is the power we are getting from Nintendo in 2017.

You're oversimplifying things. There are many techniques to improve the frame rate in an open world game, if that would be the way prove the game is released in 2017. The easiest way is probably by lowering the drawing distance. No open world game has endless drawing distance, regardless of hardware.

Since the Switch version drawing distance is larger than the Wii U drawing distance. But since both Wii U and Switch versions have frame rate drops, it seems clear that Nintendo tried to find the tradeoff point where the hardware could be pushed as far as possible without sacrificing gameplay enjoyment.

On the PC, this could easily be solvable by a user menu, but on a console, this is usually a design choice.

If there aren't frame drops at crucial locations in the gameplay, I personally can live with a 99% 30 fps Zelda game.

I'm curious about a couple things but want to avoid spoilers, yes/ no answers would be very appreciated.

Does this have the traditional items like hookshot, hammer, various staffs, and others that are primarily used for puzzles? From the videos I've seen it looks like there's just bombs, bow and arrow, and weapons.

If yes to the above, can you get them in any order like Link Between Worlds? Seems like an obvious yes due to how the game works but just curious to confirm.

For the way you asked it, it seems like the answer is no.

jariw

So easy allies makes me wonder is this like Zelda Souls? They say that you die a lot.

Is it harder than Nioh?

I don't think it's hard in that way. Since you can go anywhere in BotW, you'll eventually end up in places where you aren't prepared for the situation.

To die here seems to be part of the learning process.

koss424

ARGH. I hate this reductive argument. Yes the game will likely be amazing. We can still be concerned about the framerate. Framerate is important, whether a game is good or bad.

the previewers love it - but with your concerns, maybe you should wait this one out just to be on the safe side.

Osahi

Framerate looks decent to me.

Do we know if these previews were played with the Joycon grip or Pro controller? Trying to get impressoins of joycon grip comfort while playing.

It is for 90% of the time. But when the actions ramps up, and even on occassions of traveling trough the word, it can go to slomo or even freeze a fraction of a second.

Doesn't change that this game is a marvel, mind you.

Neoweee

So easy allies makes me wonder is this like Zelda Souls? They say that you die a lot.

Is it harder than Nioh?

No chance at all of it being harder than Nioh. "A lot" doesn't even begin to describe how often people are saying in Nioh. Most land at 100-500 deaths, it seems.

Yeah, minimalist music approach is a bit of a letdown for me as well.

See, and for this title, it's a big positive. It feels like Nintendo wants the environment to become your home in this game. It's where you live, where you sleep, and where you eat. The sounds of nature are a big part of the environmental setting here. One of the most relaxing things for me is sitting outside in the summer, listening to the sounds of lawnmowers and birds in the background. Just thinking about it now brings feelings of warmth and relaxation.

I mean, I get it. Zelda games have always had constant soundtracks, but this game has such a peaceful exploration vibe to me, and I think the sparse soundtrack mixed in with the sounds of the world will be perfect.

E-phonk

Banned
What I spoilered aren't really spoilers, but since you asked for a simple reply I tagged the explanation anyways

No.
Not like in older zelda's. It does have a variety of hammers though (but they break, like almost all gear). As far as I could see, when you need a hammer to solve a puzzle there will be one nearby somewhere, or an enemy will carry a hammer that you'll have to defeat.

Since it's a no, this doesn't apply.
From what i've read you get some of the classic zelda items quite early in the game.
Most importantly, Botw doesn't seem to rely on unique items per dungeon to solve it's puzzles, most puzzles are physics based on based on using the items you get near the beginning of the game in unique ways.

Any new wiiu impressions knocking arround?

The press didn't receive wiiU versions (yet?)

I hope he docked mode performance ca be patched. If the difference in clock speeds is anything like the rumours then it should be more than capable of handling 720->900p without impacting framerate
I do expect a patch later on. But afaik, docked or handheld mode use the same clockfrequency for the CPU (because developers need to use the same physics for 720 or 1080 games). It's the GPU that gets downgraded.

Top Bottom