• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I hope he docked mode performance ca be patched. If the difference in clock speeds is anything like the rumours then it should be more than capable of handling 720->900p without impacting framerate

Looks good ... but I'm still trying to get through Witcher 3 GOTY, I'm not sure how receptive my brain is going to be to another "open world" at this point I'm kind of getting open world overdosed...

I really wish Wii U versions were out too. Very curious how the frame rate is there. Decent chance it's better since it's in 720p and doesn't have as much detail in grass and other stuff.

I'll likely get it there in any case as I don't plan to get a Switch anytime soon. But definitely want to make sure my hunch is correct, or at least the frame rate isn't notably worse than Switch, before buying. No biggie as I can wait for post launch reviews as I'm playing Horizon and Mass Effect first anyway.

I wouldn't expect the Wii U version to run better than the Switch version, even at 720p. I'd be happy to be surprised though.

Coffinhal

I wonder how good are the joy-cons for mid to long sessions with this config on TV or tabletop

b_1_q_0_p_0.jpg

Raven117

So easy allies makes me wonder is this like Zelda Souls? They say that you die a lot.

Is it harder than Nioh?

I mean...it could just be like the original Zelda.

That game was not easy in the slightest. Neither was Zelda 2 for that matter.

LttP is when the difficulty started to relent a little bit.

Skyzard

Banned
Joycons are fucking awesome.

They must be using people with tiny fucking hands for those pictures because they are so tiny and good, nice feel to them for sure!

The joycon "d-pad" is probably better than the pro controller d-pad which is ridiculously stiff. It was pretty okay on the joycon you know, not bad!

But the pro controller has the best ergonomics of any controller I've ever held, I was kinda shocked how good it felt to hold.

I do wish the right joycon's analogue (analogues on these are great btw) was a little higher up and to the left, so switching between camera controls and buttons is easier.

My 10 minutes with Zelda was smeared by the framerate and lack of responsiveness, but apparently it's better in the final build. I climbed a tree and an enemy started throwing rocks which was pretty cool ha.

Lom1lo

I do expect a patch later on. But afaik, docked or handheld mode use the same clockfrequency for the CPU (because developers need to use the same physics for 720 or 1080 games). It's the GPU that gets downgraded.
I hope so, if its only a resolution increase it would only depend on more gpu power ? I mean thats the whole point of having the same cpu clock in both modes and only bump the gpu clock ? Ensuring equal performance but having a higher res for the tv.

It's pretty jaw dropping, but not in the Horizon Zero Dawn sense. Still for a (partially) handheld system, this game is as impressive (graphically) as Mario 64, Metroid Prime, or OOT was for consoles.

Plus, on the technical side of things, this game is wrestling with a physics engine in an open world with a stable framerate while still looking beautiful on underpowered hardware. It definitely is a technical showpiece in its own way, as much as Horizon or UC4. If you think "technical" accomplishments are only about image quality, then you have a very one-dimensional view about how to push hardware.
jesus guys, it's ok to say BOTW is not the most impressive looking game ever, it takes nothing and I mean nothing away from its greatness.

"It's still jaw dropping but not in the Horizon sense."'what does that even mean? When talking about graphics usually folks are referring to image quality, not physics or talking about how hard it's pushing hardware.

But whatever it's jaw dropping to you I guess..

When I say this might be a classic, it's because of the combat, how open the gameplay is and how 2 players will have vastly different experiences.

The fact that running across the map while ignoring everything takes half an hour is great, especially seeing more and more just how DENSE this game is.

So much to do, I might die.

Ninjimbo

jesus guys, it's ok to say BOTW is not the most impressive looking game ever, it takes nothing and I mean nothing away from its greatness.
If it takes away nothing, then why bring it up? Seems to me like it adds nothing to the conversation except criticizing just to criticize.

"It's still jaw dropping but not in the Horizon sense."'what does that even mean? When talking about graphics usually folks are referring to image quality, not physics or talking about how hard it's pushing hardware.

Nope.

This is the best game of all time. It's also the best open world people have ever seen. Framerate issues don't matter.

Nothing matters! Not even the fact that most of these people making these statements have yet to play the game.

It's not enough to say it looks great and not kill yourself and everyone around you with hyperbole. But if you don't say things to those extremes, you are suddenly not excited at all.

Does look fantastic though. Hoping the audio is good because I've been spoiled by nice headphones that I use for single player games..

But I will spare you guys from my excitement, which is clearly not enough because I'm not proclaiming this a gift from god.

LotusHD

Banned
The fact that running across the map while ignoring everything takes half an hour is great, especially seeing more and more just how DENSE this game is.

So much to do, I might die.

This game is really about to have me travel everywhere. I can't wait. I can't wait to see how many towns there are.

E-phonk

Banned
I hope so, if its only a resolution increase it would only depend on more gpu power ? I mean thats the whole point of having the same cpu clock in both modes and only bump the gpu clock ? Ensuring equal performance but having a higher res for the tv.
You will always need a tiny bit of CPU power to render larger resolutions afaik, but most of the strain lies on the GPU.
It's probably a bottleneck or maybe even a restriction with the current version of the engine, very hard to say. People like Blu or Thraktor might be able to give other reasons, but it's hard to tell when you don't know how the engine renders and handles its frames.

The good news is that in theory, they should be able to fix it.

Sooooo, no impressions on HD rumble?
It supposedly only uses standard rumble, but I only read one preview that mentioned it.

Has there been any comment on why IGN don't have their preview up yet?

Nothing that I've seen, but they do upload NVC today. It's possible they saved their Zelda preview talk for that as a way to multi-task.

Sooooo, no impressions on HD rumble?

I'm almost 100% sure they've said there's no HD rumble support. There was a quote that made it seem like it's there, but I think they corrected the statement later.

heringer

You will always need a tiny bit of CPU power to render larger resolutions afaik, but most of the strain lies on the GPU.
It's probably a bottleneck or maybe even a restriction with the current version of the engine, very hard to say. People like Blu or Thraktor might be able to give other reasons, but it's hard to tell when you don't know how the engine renders and handles its frames.

The good news is that in theory, they should be able to fix it.

It supposedly only uses standard rumble, but I only read one preview that mentioned it.

They just used regular rumble.

Hmm, weird. Some people said that you could feel bubbles or something like that after playing in those demo events.

But whatever it's jaw dropping to you I guess..

When I say this might be a classic, it's because of the combat, how open the gameplay is and how 2 players will have vastly different experiences.

Honestly, I'm not impressed by the open world either from the bits I've seen. I've been trying to be on a blackout mostly, but the world itself is about near the bottom in terms of getting me excoted for the game.

The core mechanics look fantastic, the amount of care and love they've put into making everything work is fantastic. But the actual world?

Not feeling it at all.

Haines

Banned
Any reports on whether it looks better on the switch screen or a tv.

Silly question but I'm curious if my 55 inch will just stretch the image too much

Anth0ny

the same kind of hyperbolic praise gets thrown around every time a 3d zelda is released. i look forward to playing the game and judging for myself.

Any reports on whether it looks better on the switch screen or a tv.

Silly question but I'm curious if my 55 inch will just stretch the image too much

From what I have read, it will look better on the Switch (720p) screen itself. Docked (900p) will have some (minor?) drops and noticeable aliasing especially on a 55" TV.

Top Bottom