• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

phanphare

Banned
if you're a fan of the zelda series and the back half of skyward sword's story didn't give you major feels something is wrong with you

hell I teared up a bit when
Fi and Link had their last exchange

if you're a fan of the zelda series and the back half of skyward sword's story didn't give you major feels something is wrong with you

Couldn't even finish SS tbh. Game was such a snooze. One of the only Zelda games I haven't beaten and probably never will.

Luckily, BOTW looks to be drastically different than SS game design wise.

DNAbro

You know I didn't know that people hated Skyward Sword until I started reading opinions of it on GAF. Game is fantastic.

But BOTW looks like on a very very different level when it comes to interactivity with the world and enemies. It looks like MGSV except good.

I'd be more invested in Fi if she didn't spend so much of the game butting in and telling me my batteries are low. It's like if Alyx Vance randomly stopped and told Gordon he could improve the speed of his computer by deleting unused files or some shit.

RK128

Only saw the quotes in the OT and gameplay clips from previews but it's good hearing that people are enjoying the game :).

Pulling off an open world in a franchise not known for this (well, since the original Zelda anyway) is difficult to do right. Zelda accomplishing that alone is an impressive achievement and I'm hoping the story will match the best games in the series (to me personally aka Twilight Princes & Majora's Mask).

Will keep an eye for reviews on Zelda when they come out; hope the game is a fun experience.

Kthulhu

The only feel I got was seeing how badass Demies's true form looked.

Vitacat

Hearing about the frame rate issues is incredibly disappointing. Nintendo really should have made sure the Switch was powerful enough to run Zelda at a locked fps in docked mode :/

Big blemish on what might be a truly incredible game.

I couldn't care less about some frame rate drops.

People complain all the time about Bloodborne's frame rates and frame pacing, and yet it's one of the best games I ever played. And there are many more games that fall into that category.

LotusHD

Banned
All of these glowing and hyperbolic impressions of Breath of the Wild remind me EXACTLY of the previews of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before and during their release. Every fucking person claimed each one was the greatest Zelda game since Ocarina of Time only for the backlash to hit HARD six months later. It feels like the same shit all over again.

So?

phanphare

Banned
Couldn't even finish SS tbh. Game was such a snooze. One of the only Zelda games I haven't beaten and probably never will.

Luckily, BOTW looks to be drastically different than SS game design wise.

I can understand that but man, you should watch the story bits on youtube

I'd be more invested in Fi if she didn't spend so much of the game butting in and telling me my batteries are low.

Fi was annoying but I kind of liked her being someone who is way too logical for my own good. I found a lot of her dialogue pretty humorous.

Skyzard

Banned
Joycons are fucking awesome.

They must be using people with tiny fucking hands for those pictures because they are so tiny and good, nice feel to them for sure!

The joycon "d-pad" is probably better than the pro controller d-pad which is ridiculously stiff. It was pretty okay on the joycon you know, not bad!

But the pro controller has the best ergonomics of any controller I've ever held, I was kinda shocked how good it felt to hold.

Joycon size:
https://s1.webmshare.com/OVQ3n.webm

Kindekuma

Banned
It's a black sheep by Zelda standards.

I'm watching Chuggaaconroy's LP of Skyward Sword at the moment and it's rather mind blowing how the series goes from that game to where we are now with BotW. I see so many glaring flaws with Skyward Sword but yet several great things about it too. Easily the most conflicting game in the franchise to me.

Yeah... I really don't understand the Gaf hate for SS. It's my third favorite 3D Zelda right behind Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. It's a bit hand-holdy, but the controls are great and the story they told was wonderful.

I really want an HD remaster of SS. I had so much fun with the TWW and TP HD remasters. Feels so odd if SS never gets one

I can't imagine SS doesn't get one. It doesn't use IR outside of initial calibration. And they will no doubt fix some easy issues with the game such as the pop up explanations for items and lessening Fi. They also need to speed up text scroll. It should look gorgeous in HD with texture work.

Plus I imagined they'd add in a no-motion mode.

And it would be a great excuse to release SS Amiibos.

LotusHD

Banned
You know I didn't know that people hated Skyward Sword until I started reading opinions of it on GAF. Game is fantastic.

I liked the game a lot myself. The most hurtful thing I can say about it is that I'd never replay it as it is now due to its controls (Whereas I'm always open to replay the other 3D entries), but otherwise I enjoyed the game and story despite its repetition and what not.

spookyfish

All of these glowing and hyperbolic impressions of Breath of the Wild remind me EXACTLY of the previews of Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword before and during their release. Every fucking person claimed each one was the greatest Zelda game since Ocarina of Time only for the backlash to hit HARD six months later. It feels like the same shit all over again.

But they REALLY mean it, this time!

EDIT: I'm not one to speak. I actually enjoy all of the Zelda games, even Skyward Sword, so ... I'm a bit biased.

Painraze

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah... I really don't understand the Gaf hate for SS. It's my third favorite 3D Zelda right behind Wind Waker and Majora's Mask. It's a bit hand-holdy, but the controls are great and the story they told was wonderful.

It's the way of the internet. Something seen as a slight flaw at the time can snowball and build over the course of years to be the defining mark of the game.

phanphare

Banned
Oh hello
potential waifu

lol

FTIUDqO.jpg

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
What do you mean? Sounds like an amazing game is coming? What's there to be nervous about? You didn't preorder Switch or something?

Nervous in the sense that they make my expectations sky rocket :D

Peterthumpa

So the game can't be good then, just because it's a Zelda game? I'd give you credit it this was more of the same old formulaic Zelda experience, but this is basically a brand new game using the Zelda universe to drive the story.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
The hyperbole goes higher this time, between people saying it's one of the best games of these last years, or that's it's better than OoT. I can definitely see it being the best Zelda game of all time, value production appears to be unbelievable.

Neff

It was a touching moment.

I know a lot of people hate Fi, but I liked her, even if she was the epitome of hand-holding gone too far.

Actually, SS is an amazing game. I am not a big fan of motion controls, but the game is really amazing.

Best 3D Zelda imo (so far).

I'm so excited to play this game. It's taking everything in my power to not click that spoiler thread. I gotta make sure I stay strong so every surprise in this game is worth it!

Why is it that Zelda getting positive preview impressions is discounted as being part of some general cycle that assumes that Zelda games are objectively overrated?

Astral Dog

It's better to just put Nintendo on its own generation cycle. Not healthy to include it with xbox and sony.
Exactly. At one point we should accept Nintendo is going at their own pace,and they just went through the 360 generation in a way.

Not that they can't get critizised rightfully. But many people are still confused when they aren't trying to be Microsoft or Sony. Xbox or Play Station.

Im happy they are advancing technollogically in the handheld space. Having a tiny thing you can take everywhere be 2x 360 with 6x the memory is amazing in a way.

Switch is going to get some pretty and amazing games

Peltz

jesus guys, it's ok to say BOTW is not the most impressive looking game ever, it takes nothing and I mean nothing away from its greatness.

"It's still jaw dropping but not in the Horizon sense."'what does that even mean? When talking about graphics usually folks are referring to image quality, not physics or talking about how hard it's pushing hardware.

But whatever it's jaw dropping to you I guess..

When I say this might be a classic, it's because of the combat, how open the gameplay is and how 2 players will have vastly different experiences.

I meant it doesn't have clean IQ and as lush detail. But it also seems like every surface area of the game is interactive and there's no graphical non-interactive window dressing like with Horizon and many other open world games.

The Lamp

It's a black sheep by Zelda standards.

Bullshit.

There's no reasonably consistent way to dismiss SS as a "black sheep" of its franchise and not the other games that got controversy (TP, WW, MM, etc).

It's a Zelda game with good dungeons and interesting story, and possibly the most interesting puzzles and combat to date (until 3/3)

I can't imagine SS doesn't get one. It doesn't use IR outside of initial calibration. And they will no doubt fix some easy issues with the game such as the pop up explanations for items and lessening Fi. They also need to speed up text scroll. It should look gorgeous in HD with texture work.

Plus I imagined they'd add in a no-motion mode.

And it would be a great excuse to release SS Amiibos.

I love this proposal

I think the emotional highlights of SS would be when Zelda
seals herself into the stone, especially with that beautiful rendition of Zelda's lullaby

And the ending scene where
Impa is revealed to be the old woman, having waited all this time for Zelda and Link
. That really got me sobbing.

Top Bottom