• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Was listening to the polygon podcast, it seems some of breath of the wild's shrines has motion control puzzles.....

And the reviewer Arthur gies, had trouble with these motion controlled puzzles

Uh oh
Do we have any footage of this guy's??

There is no mandatory motion control for anything in this game.

The infamous Doom Polygon video is Gies by the way, lol

This guy had the worst luck in such a short time in Zelda that i've seen so far

https://youtu.be/VK7rU316Pns

Hahaha

Wow @ how bad this person is, yeesh. You ain't got no arrows bruh! Did you not hear the bowstring thwacking or, uh, look at your arrow count lol

Loving all of the varied encounters tho. Seems like one of those games where just interacting with the world can give you funny stories to share, which I love.

gamerMan

Listening to the Waypoint (Vice Gaming) podcast talking about Zelda, and honestly it killed any hype I had...

...for Horizon.

Someone summarized it:

I think it's unfair to compare Horizon to Zelda

According to them, In Horizon, basically everybody is going to have the same experience since everything is scripted. They gave one example. In Horizon, you can only climb where there is a specially marked texture. They also said that you will come to a low barrier and Aloy won't be able to jump over it.

In Zelda, you can climb and jump anywhere. That design philosophy extends through the whole game. So there are really no conventional "videogamey" artificial barriers in the world. So you are always wanted to try new stuff just to see if it works. And 99% of the time, it does work.

There is no mandatory motion control for anything in this game.

I've heard there is at least one puzzle in the game that has wonky motion controls.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Was listening to the polygon podcast, it seems some of breath of the wild's shrines has motion control puzzles.....

And the reviewer Arthur gies, had trouble with these motion controlled puzzles

Uh oh
Do we have any footage of this guy's??

NDA'd

All the talk of shrines I've heard has been incredibly positive.

m051293

All these previews and not a single mention of Zelda herself. Even those that have broken embargo haven't done so.

I'm impressed. Wonder if stepped up their game for the story as well.

Seeing all these positive previews and edge's review make glad Aounuma is now the series producer . I doubt Breath of the Wild as it is would have gotten made with Miyamoto's oversight.

Aonuma is my favorite of the key people involved with shaping Zelda over the years. He directed my GOAT (MM), lead dungeon design on OOT (my fav dungeons from beginning to end in a Zelda game), and he produced this bold masterpiece (perhaps my new GOAT)

He also players western games. I like how he does that. Seeing what others are doing

spock

This was absolutely hysterical. I couldn't stop laughing as he was being constantly bombarded with explosive barrels.

PLEASE DON'T LET THIS BE ME IN THIS GAME.

I was laughing at the same bit , thinking "dude just stay down, maybe they'll think your dead"...can you play dead?

Caelus

Are you sure? In the podcast it didn't specify I know that the bow and arrow has optional motion controls but for puzzles based on motion controls ..how is that going to work?

The motion controls are gyro based but if you turn it off the camera stick can be used for motion stuff. There's a menu option to turn off all motion controls entirely, I think.

Are you sure? In the podcast it didn't specify I know that the bow and arrow has optional motion controls but for puzzles based on motion controls ..how is that going to work?

I guess I'm not 100% sure, as I haven't played BotW. But since you can play the entire game on Wii U with a pro controller (confirmed by Nintendo), there's no possible way motion controls are a mandatory part of the game.

Seeing all these positive previews and edge's review make glad Aounuma is now the series producer . I doubt Breath of the Wild as it is would have gotten made with Miyamoto's oversight.

You realize that Miyamoto is also part of supervising this game right? His QoL direction to designing the open world are the reasons why the world feels alive.

Aonuma is my favorite of the key people involved with shaping Zelda over the years. He directed my GOAT (MM), lead dungeon design on OOT (my fav dungeons from beginning to end in a Zelda game), and he produced this bold masterpiece (perhaps my new GOAT)

He also players western games. I like how he does that. Seeing what others are doing
I feel like people underestimated Aonuma recently. A lot of people wanted to see Koizumi's take on Zelda. Even I wanted that at one point. And I guess I still do want to see it, but it's clear that Aonuma still has what it takes.

Wow @ how bad this person is, yeesh. You ain't got no arrows bruh! Did you not hear the bowstring thwacking or, uh, look at your arrow count lol

Loving all of the varied encounters tho. Seems like one of those games where just interacting with the world can give you funny stories to share, which I love.

Frankly, I'm shocked at how incredibly varied the encounter design seems to be. Nintendo's strength has never been combat really and most encounters in the Zelda games are relatively basic affairs that aren't particularly interesting but suddenly they jump so far in this game that its ludicrous.

According to them, In Horizon, basically everybody is going to have the same experience since everything is scripted. They gave one example. In Horizon, you can only climb where there is a specially marked texture. They also said that you will come to a low barrier and Aloy won't be able to jump over it.

In Zelda, you can climb and jump anywhere. That design philosophy extends through the whole game. So there are really no conventional "videogamey" artificial barriers in the world. So you are always wanted to try new stuff just to see if it works. And 99% of the time, it does work.

I've heard there is at least one puzzle in the game that has wonky motion controls.
Thats exactly why I stopped messing with alot of games in general, mainly western games.

The "Script" part is just where I feel the fatigue does it in too much for me. I got tired of it. Its just way too much automation and its simply not fun anymore. Why would I feel any satisfaction doing something everybody else can do? Ive fallen in love with fighters, platformers, rpgs and action games the last few years reminding me of where I came from and it feels great.

phanphare

Banned
I feel like people underestimated Aonuma recently. A lot of people wanted to see Koizumi's take on Zelda. Even I wanted that at one point. And I guess I still do want to see it, but it's clear that Aonuma still has what it takes.

I would love to see Koizumi do a modern top down style Zelda like ALBW

Maxinas

In that case, would it be argued that ZBotW is it's own genre and can't compared to open world games because they don't allow the same freedom Zelda does? I guess that's why Aonuma went on to call it an "open air" game.

LotusHD

Banned
In that case, would it be argued that ZBotW is it's own genre and can't compared to open world games because they don't allow the same freedom Zelda does? I guess that's why Aonuma went on to call it an "open air" game.

I forgot all about that phrase lol

I mean, people can call it what they want, all I know is this game is gonna be something special.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member

There were some impressions that BoTW is a new genre I'm open world games.

Caelus

So can we or can't we have
pet dogs
? Seems the answer is no... :(

You can have canine companions, I'm pretty sure. Wolf Link seems to just be a skin for that.

If this game has any arranges of the Hyrule Castle theme, Gerudo Valley, the Dark World theme, the Skull Woods theme, fuck it, if they can shove the Ballad of the Windfish or Ballad of the Goddess in there, I'll rate it a 100/10 game. This game is so big they should just say fuck it and overload the soundtrack with the good shit.

That being said, the original tracks we've heard sound great too.

reKon

Banned

From the impressions our own GAFers gave, they said they ran into a bunch of unscripted moments in the middle of their exploration..

Also:

From the Kotaku review:

"Unscripted moments where different entities would clash with one another in unexpected ways added to the sense of wilderness. Sometimes, I’d stumble upon humans fighting against errant dinosaurs, or watch as robots turned on each other. I observed robotic vultures pick apart the body of another robot. During another segment, I racked my brain trying to figure out how to sneak by some human enemies, only to have a titan unexpectedly swoop from the sky and wreck everyone’s shit. Problem solved! Horizon is at its best when it upends my expectations like that."

http://kotaku.com/horizon-zero-dawn-the-kotaku-review-1792538336

But yeah, Zelda is going to be a stand out because of how truly open it is and how connected gameplay is with the enviroment. I haven't played Just Cause 3, but that's only other game I can think of where you would be able to truly easily reach anywhere in the world (at least it seems like). And I guess GTA V too? B

KingBroly

Banned

That's what the Podcast argued, that BotW was this third type of Open World game, separate from the Story-Driven Open World games and Collect-a-thon Open World games with lots of A to B things.

I'm not sure how you'd qualify it yet, since I haven't played it, but it feels like an Elements-based Open World game where elements react with the systems going on in the game for these results that you wouldn't really expect.

From the impressions our own GAFers gave, they said they ran into a bunch of unscripted moments in the middle of their exploration..

Also:

From the Kotaku review:

"Unscripted moments where different entities would clash with one another in unexpected ways added to the sense of wilderness. Sometimes, I’d stumble upon humans fighting against errant dinosaurs, or watch as robots turned on each other. I observed robotic vultures pick apart the body of another robot. During another segment, I racked my brain trying to figure out how to sneak by some human enemies, only to have a titan unexpectedly swoop from the sky and wreck everyone’s shit. Problem solved! Horizon is at its best when it upends my expectations like that."

But yeah, Zelda is going to be a stand out because of how truly open it is and how connected gameplay is with the enviroment. I haven't played Just Cause 3, but that's only other game I can think of where you would be able to truly easily reach anywhere in the world (at least it seems like). And I guess GTA V too? B

Yeah, everything being "scripted" in Horizon is a nonsense claim.

phanphare

Banned

Also:

From the Kotaku review:

to be clear, everything in that write up is with the context that they're either setting the stage for talking about zelda and what it does or just directly comparing the two

They called it open air at E3 and then, "lol no Nintendo you cant make your own genre. Its open world."
Yeah, everything being "scripted" in Horizon is a nonsense claim.
No one said everything is. its a open world game not a corridor shooter but its still has thats script dna in there apparently.

Caelus

Could this be the best launch game since Mario 64? Think about that, huh...

Yes.

Right now the game is blowing the minds off 20-30 year old reviewers. I imagine a bunch of longtime Zelda fans were really young - like 5-7 years old - when Ocarina, Mario 64 were out.

My 7 year old brother is going to play Breath of the Wild and have his socks rocked off. That is, if I actually share the game with him... (really happy about the multiple account save files)

They called it open air at E3 and then, "lol no Nintendo you cant make your own genre. Its open world."

No one said everything is. its a open world game not a corridor shooter but its still has thats script dna in there apparently.

It's literally what was said by the quoted user.

According to them, In Horizon, basically everybody is going to have the same experience since everything is scripted.

LotusHD

Banned
Yes.

Right now the game is blowing the minds off 20-30 year old reviewers. I imagine a bunch of longtime Zelda fans were really young - like 5-7 years old - when Ocarina, Mario 64 were out.

My 7 year old brother is going to play Breath of the Wild and have his socks rocked off. That is, if I actually share the game with him... (really happy about the multiple account save files)

Game looks to be truly marvelous, to the point where I think I'll share it with my roommates whenever I find myself playing Nier.

Everyone in my vicinity needs to play it lol

Nanashrew

Banned

That's how I see it as well, and I can see where they're coming from with their use of the term coming from open air paintings which began showing up when impressionism was taking off. You also have impressionist music in the game, and all these other things that contrast themselves against other traditional methods and rules.

Top Bottom