• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

phanphare

Banned
It's literally what was said by the quoted user.

you can listen for yourself but it was stated by someone who beat the game and wasn't challenged by the other person who also beat the game and enjoyed it more. again it was with the context that it was being compared to Zelda, a game that offers much more freedom.

for the climbing walls thing specifically he mentions that there's a sort of yellow indicator or something dictating what part you can climb on. may not be remembering exactly what was said.

you can listen for yourself but it was stated by someone who beat the game and wasn't challenged by the other person who also beat the game and enjoyed it more. again it was with the context that it was being compared to Zelda, a game that offers much more freedom.

for the climbing walls thing specifically he mentions that there's a sort of yellow indicator or something dictating what part you can climb on. may not be remembering exactly what was said.
He did say that, when its Zelda you dont have to climb a shiny ladder or something. Thats what scripted mean, not neccesarily a qte or cinematic or no control.

Just doing something the way the game tells you is the only way to do it.

spock

Could this be the best launch game since Mario 64? Think about that, huh...

Been getting that vibe internally my self. I caught myself trying to explain to my 90 daughter how important this Zelda might be for video games on the whole, comparing it potentially to Mario 64, lol.

Right, it's a more conventional open world in that regard.

Seiru

Banned
Burning horses ? Riding deer?

https://youtu.be/mYO47HUW8L8

Freaking princess mononoke :eek:

tumblr_ng0fle8OaY1qcopb3o1_r1_1280.gif

I'm so happy right now

Nanashrew

Banned
It's impossible to not see some of the Ghibli influence in the game and hearing Austin bring up how BotW has this warmth and the terror of a Ghibli film is what has me most excited.

Avixph

It's impossible to not see some of the Ghibli influence in the game and hearing Austin bring up how BotW has this warmth and the terror of a Ghibli film is what has me most excited.
They should have gone all the way and gotten the folks at Studio Ghibli to be in charge of the art direction.

I've been feeling that it seems like a Ghibli film since its reveal. That feeling has only gotten stronger as more has been revealed. Mainly Princess Mononoke.

LotusHD

Banned
Does every single NPC in this game have an actual name lol

It seems only the Old Man so far doesn't, but I don't exactly count him since he's likely to be of greater importance later...

I would advice all of you to skip reading the Edge review for now.

Not because it really spoils all that much, but because I'm now going to have trouble sleeping during the next five days.

LotusHD

Banned
I would advice all of you to skip reading the Edge review for now.

Not because it really spoils all that much, but because I'm now going to have trouble sleeping during the next five days.

$

The individual Korok don't seem too, though that's understandable. Aside from that, yeah. If the Old Man is who we think he is (not the most shocking twist) then he has a name too.

Ah yea, I guess they count. I was referring to the villagers, completely forgot about those guys. Guess it's not that surprising though, since they're just there to offer you collectibles, and since there is a large, large number of them.

Does every single NPC in this game have an actual name lol

It seems only the Old Man so far doesn't, but I don't exactly count him since he's likely to be of greater importance later...

Every NPC has a name, most every NPC has a life and Schedules like Betheda and Ultima games. NPCs react to the world in a natural way (and seem to animate pretty nicely compared to a Bethesda game's horrid Jank) and not all will be fighting. In one video, there was a couple on the road being attacked by Bokoblins in a video, while one was fighting off the enemy, the other (who was his wife) was being chased by another.

LotusHD

Banned
Every NPC has a name, most every NPC has a life and Schedules like Betheda and Ultima games. NPCs react to the world in a natural way (and seem to animate pretty nicely compared to a Bethesda game's horrid Jank) and not all will be fighting. In one video, there was a couple on the road being attacked by Bokoblins in a video, while one was fighting off the enemy, the other (who was his wife) was being chased by another.

Yea I recall seeing that. Anyways, them all having names and a lot of them having their own lives/schedules is a great addition to being able to speak to all of them.

Caelus

Wow.. I'll read the reviews on thursday morning. Not really any wait at that point. But DAMN

Reading the review, what they've described of the story reminds me of both Majora's Mask and Avatar: The Last Airbender.

Not that I expect the story of this game to be on the same caliber as the latter, but for a video game, it sounds pretty good.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
Man watched some of the videos and I am hype. Hopefully I can snag a Switch at a midnight launch.

elithrar

I won't derail the thread but... google the new Mario game if you don't believe me, look at the WW remake, look at BotW and tell me that they wouldn't benefit from a little more contrast?

Highly compressed screenshots & videos are probably coloring your perception here.

If there's one thing I'm looking forward to about Breath of the Wild, it's that it'll probably end the years of creepy weirdo internet armchair psychologists trying to psychoanalyze Aonuma and other Nintendo employees and ranting about how Zelda isn't supposed to have puzzles or talking and only the first game is good

But even the first game has puzzles! Anyone who actually thinks puzzles have no place in Zelda is nuts.

LotusHD

Banned
If there's one thing I'm looking forward to about Breath of the Wild, it's that it'll probably end the years of creepy weirdo internet armchair psychologists trying to psychoanalyze Aonuma and other Nintendo employees and ranting about how Zelda isn't supposed to have puzzles and only the first game is good

Meh, people will never let OoT go. But I suppose this game is our best chance of it being "dethroned" where the majority is concerned.

If there's one thing I'm looking forward to about Breath of the Wild, it's that it'll probably end the years of creepy weirdo internet armchair psychologists trying to psychoanalyze Aonuma and other Nintendo employees and ranting about how Zelda isn't supposed to have puzzles or talking and only the first game is good

Or how nintendo doesn't know how to make zelda anymore and they should let capcom make it again, because their games were better, when the reality is that the director of the zelda capcom games is directing breath of the wild. Or how koizumi is shackled by miyamoto and he should be the one handling zelda and not mario at all. Because of course they were all forced to do these things

Top Bottom