• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

One question. I heard from some buddies of mine that the world is going to be split up into "sections" rather than be one fully fledged open world.

As in, you leave an area, there's a loading screen, and the next big area shows up. I'm pretty sure that this isn't the case but can someone tell me otherwise?

Your buddies are wrong and full of shit.

Listening to the Waypoint (Vice Gaming) podcast talking about Zelda, and honestly it killed any hype I had...

...for Horizon.

Someone summarized it:

You should probably read the 50+ reviews that diverge from that minority opinion about Horizon if you want to get hyped.

VanWinkle

I'm WEIRDLY excited for snowboarding with the shield. I've always been a huge snowboarding game, and Gamespot made a video of it today that got me hyped.

Caelus

yeah that video is beautiful

I love the way the grass moves and reveals little flowers and stuff behind it as it sways in the wind

Seriously I'm watching the video again (relink) and it's just straight up magical (and I really wish other outlets could record with quality this good).

I know the texture quality and visual artifacts of BotW aren't up to console standards or whatnot, but watching that video has convinced me that they've really got something special with this art style, a goddamn playable Ghibli film. Tasty.

ZeroX03

Banned
You should probably read the 50+ reviews that diverge from that minority opinion about Horizon if you want to get hyped.

No, I've read those. The Waypoint guys weren't even negative about Horizon, they both thought it was a good game, one more than the other. Just that Zelda seemed so much better and aligned with my tastes.

Buggy Loop

Burning horses ? Riding deer?

https://youtu.be/mYO47HUW8L8

Freaking princess mononoke :eek:

tumblr_ng0fle8OaY1qcopb3o1_r1_1280.gif

NathanS

Bro, you WAY overdid it. You have crushed blacks and it's overly contrasted.

I do actually agree that the game looks a little bit washed out. But this would be a better version of how it could look:

It didn't work out as well as I wanted since I was mainly focused on the top right screenshot, but at the very least I think the top right and the bottom left look improved here. Didn't like how the top left turned out.

Your version still looks like it's a bunch of primary colors straight from the tube well the official pics look like they come from a mixed, complementary pallet.

I mean it doesn't make me want o vomit AND go blind so it's better then the first mix, but it's still ugly.

Dremorak

Banned
So the embargo for this ends March 2nd at 3 AM Pacific, huh? Damn. Are you suckas staying awake or waking up to the wave of craziness?
Here in New Zealand that will be midnight launch time I think. Haha. Too bad my wife is working night shift... I could be among the first in the world. :(

LotusHD

Banned
Listening to the Waypoint (Vice Gaming) podcast talking about Zelda, and honestly it killed any hype I had...

...for Horizon.

Someone summarized it:

Yea, really good podcast. Between that, the review, and all the other glowing impressions, it makes me feel silly for ever doubting that they'd make a compelling open world to explore.

NathanS

I will never understand why people love ugly crushed blacks like that.

It feels like over correction to the age of "brown and blur" so that anything that's supposed to be colorful now has to "primary colors with the saturation levels up to 11!"

Were most artists even going for a colorful look will say, bland a little bit of the main color into all the other colors they're using to help everything feel cohesive, and keep most of the saturation at lower level so that not every single thing is equally popping out and competing for attention.

Are there any spoilers in the video? I've gotten spoiled way too much and don't want to watch anything else if there's a chance I could get spoiled.

Nah, no spoilers

This guy had the worst luck in such a short time in Zelda that i've seen so far

https://youtu.be/VK7rU316Pns

Hahaha

Proof why the game is quite fair and even forgiving(if that were in question with a Zelda game). Link's I-frames save him from death. In a game like Dark Souls or NG, he'd be dead several times over.

VanWinkle

Your version still looks like it's a bunch of primary colors straight from the tube well the official pics look like they come from a mixed, complementary pallet.

I mean it doesn't make me want o vomit AND go blind so it's better then the first mix, but it's still ugly.

I agree with you somewhat. Definitely about the top left. I think the bottom two in the original could use a bit more contrast/saturation but not as much as I used. Like I said, the only one I was paying attention to in editing was the top right, which is the only one that (IMO) was 100% improved.

Air

Banned
No spoilers, just a short video of a fight at a lookout. It's hilarious.

Nah, no spoilers

Proof why the game is quite fair and even forgiving(if that were in question with a Zelda game). Link's I-frames save him from death. In a game like Dark Souls or NG, he'd be dead several times over.

Thanks guys. Just finished watching it. Very funny. I love how smart the enemies are in this game

Porcile

Reading the EDGE review I can see where two camps are going to be divided on this game in the future, but honestly it might all be for the better. Well, as long as the various elements within the game can feel cohesive and not just a bunch of disparate elements tacked together. I think its going to be impossible to process without playing, since the joy of the game seems stem from the totally unpredictable nature of what happens in the game world.

EhoaVash

Was listening to the polygon podcast, it seems some of breath of the wild's shrines has motion control puzzles.....

And the reviewer Arthur gies, had trouble with these motion controlled puzzles

Uh oh
Do we have any footage of this guy's??

Top Bottom