• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

FZZ

Banned
It's the
MBDTF
of Zelda

kttcoliblessed
kttcoliblessed
kttcoliblessed
kttcoliblessed

3V8qFHN.png
3V8qFHN.png
3V8qFHN.png
3V8qFHN.png

LotusHD

Banned
Anyone brave enough to watch the spoiler vids want to give non spoiler thoughts?

- Simply happening to come across a village will likely be its own rewarding experience.

- Animals are awesome, especially the horses

- NPCs appear to all have names, and interact with you quite well.

- Gonna be some unique ways to come across Korok seeds

- Some shrines appear to be hidden well.

- When something sticks out to you, check it out, never know what might happen.

- Lastly, the game looks great.

KrawlMan

He's talked about creating a new IP starring a thief. I hope that's what he gets to do next.

I don't see why we need Aonuma to be heavily involved in another Zelda game. Somebody more knowledgeable feel free to correct me, but isn't the director more responsible for the direction/creative vision of the game? That'd be Hidemaro Fujibayashi in this case.

I'm sure they can survive without him nearby. Let him do his thief thing.

also I was supposed to be done with this thread. I keep coming back. This week is going to be painful.

Realeza

Banned
I wonder if there's competitions among Nintendo teams, like the Super Mario Odyssey team against the Breath of the Wild to see who ends up with the GOTG.

JayBabay

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I've glimpsed over people saying the dungeons are much more different and therefore shorter as a result? Are they not these grand and intricately designed labyrinths with a focus on puzzle solving that extends throughout the entire design of the dungeon itself? This is all I've known Zelda to be focused around.

Bosses and enemies have always been one shot ordeals but I understand the focus on combat and survival is greatly more emphasized now, is this at the expense of traditional dungeon gameplay?

ITSMILNER

Couple of questions some of you might be able to answer

1.) Have the previews mentioned anything about the side missions and what they consist of? I'm hoping they are not just fetch quests and actually have some side stories that break away from the main game

2.) Can you use your shield as a weapon if you have no weapon selected? Captain America style

WadeitOut

The best thing about this game is that it's officially confirmed that i do infact hate people who join discussions about a thing to say they hate being spoiled about the thing.

You couldn't be doing a worse job avoiding spoilers if you did a Helen Keller impersonation for a week. Hit me with every god damn spoiler you soldiers can muster.

jariw

I don't want to beat a dead horse but I've glimpsed over people saying the dungeons are much more different and therefore shorter as a result? Are they not these grand and intricately designed labyrinths with a focus on puzzle solving that extends throughout the entire design of the dungeon itself? This is all I've known Zelda to be focused around.

Bosses and enemies have always been one shot ordeals but I understand the focus on combat and survival is greatly more emphasized now, is this at the expense of traditional dungeon gameplay?

You also have 120 Shrines that will act as mini dungeons. Some with puzzle solving, some with other elements.

This E3 Treehouse video (Wii U version) is a demo of a more dungeon-like shrine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4FMrndVpWs

The only things I've heard about the "real" dungeons is that they aren't as easy to get lost in as in previous Zelda games (according to Game Informer). And that no previewer has arrived at a dungeon before 5 hours of gameplay. And that we probably know what the dungeons are already.

The only thing Majora's Mask didn't do that it needed to in order to best Ocarina was the sense of discovery. It had glimmers of it. But Ocarina allowed for discovery over, and over, and over and over again. It was the perfect storm of developer focus and player free will, at the perfect time in the industry's history.

I can't speak for everyone else here, but my bias toward OoT stems in no short order to a bit of nostalgia, as well as Nintendo managing to hit all the ducks they were lining up. OoT was never perfect, and it's world was never the largest toybox on consoles either. Looking back at it, the overworld was smallish coming off of Link to the Past. And it was certainly dwarfed by the Great Sea in Wind Waker. OoT had that perfect variety to the senses for those who were familiar with all the iconography of the Zelda series since the first game. It was cool to finally see what Death Mountain looked like, whereas it felt more like this abstract notion in the 2D games.

Looking back at it all, Hyrule felt like an interconnected network of toy playsets held in place by Hyrule field. But to me, I was able to overlook the lack of scale because of how well the team at Nintendo made the best of the limitations they were dealt with, and the fact that the didn't try to overstep with innovations that might have hobbled the game. I get that sense with Skyward Sword, if the criticisms leveled at it are any indication to go by.

And as beautiful as Wind Waker was, it didn't have that variety to keep me coming back to revisit.

The dungeons have apparently been more condensed and easier to conceptualize in your head on how to traverse them, which is what they mean by the gameplay being a bit simpler. Instead of being on a forked trail of puzzles, you're able to define how you go about the dungeon in the way you can analyze yourself. It'll still be labyrinthian, it'll still have puzzles, but it's not needless.

You also have 120 Shrines that will act as mini dungeons. Some with puzzle solving, some with other elements.

This E3 Treehouse video (Wii U version) is a demo of a more dungeon-like shrine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4FMrndVpWs

The only things I've heard about the "real" dungeons is that they aren't as easy to get lost in as in previous Zelda games (according to Game Informer). And that no previewer has arrived at a dungeon before 5 hours of gameplay. And that we probably know what the dungeons are already.

Yeah, as a dungeon guy I was pretty disappointed after hearing this. And it seems EDGE confirms the concern.

But I still have one hope... I hope that there are some more traditional dungeons but aren't neccessary for the storyline. For example, have you seen that big sand statue that looked like the entrance for the Spirit Temple in OoT? That MUST be a dungeon, I mean what else? It looks too interesting to be nothing in it or just a Hylia Statue.

yeziid44.png

From these previews

man...

it's quickly going from game of the generation

to greatest game of all time in my eyes

lmao

I mean, right?

The language being used, by industry voices I respect a GREAT deal, almost has me terrified. My love of this medium has evolved quite a bit as Ive grown, and I've never stopped loving all manner of Nintendo releases, but there was a pure wonder that I remember once feeling in my early youth (early 90s and some mid nineties) with respect to games. If Nintendo has managed to create something that can truly take me back in time while I'm an active participant in this world they've built.... I barely know how I'd deal with those emotions

The best thing about this game is that it's officially confirmed that i do infact hate people who join discussions about a thing to say they hate being spoiled about the thing.

You couldn't be doing a worse job avoiding spoilers if you did a Helen Keller impersonation for a week. Hit me with every god damn spoiler you soldiers can muster.
The most spoilers I've read are from the edge review:
-Calamity Ganon has been sealed in Hyrule Castle for 100 years slowly growing power. He somehow corrupted the technology/mechanical structures in the world including the Divine Beasts.

- The Guardians and Divine Beasts ravished the land while Calamity Ganon was still imprisoned in Hyrule Castle. The corrupted Divine Beasts cause environmental damage on the land as well such as eternal sandstorms, severe flooding causing dams to reach their breaking point, etc.

- The four elders tell Link to remove Ganon's corruption from the four divine beasts and return them to their rightful rider.

- After all four beasts are controlled by their respective rider you lead an assault on Hyrule Castle to defeat Ganon.

-Main story takes about 20 hours to complete.

Dungeons have always been hit or miss for me anyway. A lot of them are "solve obvious puzzle to get key, backtrack to use key, repeat until boss." If the puzzles aren't really clever or especially difficult, it can get repetitive. I can think of a handful of really memorable Zelda dungeons for me, but the rest are honestly lackluster or average in my eyes.

Sounds like the shrines fix that by being like individual "simpler" dungeon puzzles, just numerous and spread out. I actually think I'll prefer this to simply placing a number of these puzzles in one area, sticking a boss at the end, and calling it a dungeon.

Now I will say, I still like a properly executed dungeon with its own design themes and varied challenges. So it will be pretty disappointing if there aren't some "true" ones that follow through the way the best ones in the series have. I don't think there has to be a large number though. I don't think quantity and quality are necessarily mutually exclusive here, but I'll definitely be pleased if what dungeons there are wind up being well executed across the board, compared to some Zelda titles where I dread completing certain dungeons.

weekev

Banned
Why do I keep coming into this thread.
Asking myself the same question. I'm now going on media blackout till review thread where I will watch 1 review, check Metacritic then wait for the game. Time to keep myself busy. See y'all on the other side.

I quite like how Chris Carter Described the process of combat as a puzzle. Skyward Sword didn't give enough options to satiate me, but BotW does which reminds me a lot of RE4 particularly in the strategic item management aspect and on the fly planning.

JayBabay

Thanks for the video, I'm going to check it out. I heard about the Shrines' design from the Gamespot live stream but haven't seen actual gameplay. I really liked that they are 100 percent puzzle focused and varied in design. They said they even use some motion controls to solve certain puzzles like rolling a ball through a maze, which I thought was neat if it were to compliment traditional dungeon puzzles, rather than surmount it, we'll see which it is next week.

The dungeons have apparently been more condensed and easier to conceptualize in your head on how to traverse them, which is what they mean by the gameplay being a bit simpler. Instead of being on a forked trail of puzzles, you're able to define how you go about the dungeon in the way you can analyze yourself. It'll still be labyrinthian, it'll still have puzzles, but it's not needless.

This sounds similar to the design of some of the dungeons in over the top view Zelda's like LTTP. That's the first thing that came to mind after reading your description.

Eria

So guys... Will Nintendo release hyrule warriors 2 this gen? I mean, they could use the engine from this game and make hyrule warriors 2. I know we are getting Fire emblem musou still... I did enjoy hyrule warriors on my Wii U.

Now I see how this engine looks and man, it would be a blast getting another game with this engine.

What do you think?

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Thanks for the video, I'm going to check it out. I heard about the Shrines' design from the Gamespot live stream but haven't seen actual gameplay. I really liked that they are 100 percent puzzle focused and varied in design. They said they even use some motion controls to solve certain puzzles like rolling a ball through a maze, which I thought was neat if it were to compliment traditional dungeon puzzles, rather than surmount it, we'll see which it is next week.

I believe that Austin Walker mentioned that some of the Shrines are combat-based... not sure if there is a puzzle element in those, or if there are just some difficult combat situations the shrines throw at you. I'm not sure all the shrines will be purely puzzles but it sounds like most of them are.

So guys... Will Nintendo release hyrule warriors 2 this gen? I mean, they could use the engine from this game and make hyrule warriors 2. I know we are getting Fire emblem musou still... I did enjoy hyrule warriors on my Wii U.

Now I see how this engine looks and man, it would be a blast getting another game with this engine.

What do you think?

I think we'll get a Hyrule Warriors sequel, yes. The first game was pretty successful.

jariw

What do you think?

Hyrule Warriors was a Koei Techmo game with licensed Nintendo character. I believe it's mainly Koei Techmo to decide if they want to do a sequel.

Very much doubt that Nintendo would license the Zelda engine to 3rd party.

What type of rewards do we get for doing the korok seeds? Just curious if we have to do all 900 of them before seeing any benefit of them or if you're rewarded regularly for doing them. Of course, if they're just fun to do on their own, that's cool too.

Aldric

What do you think?

Next Zelda spinoff should be a Sheik 3D beat em all by Platinum.

jariw

I believe that Austin Walker mentioned that some of the Shrines are combat-based... not sure if there is a puzzle element in those, or if there are just some difficult combat situations the shrines throw at you. I'm not sure all the shrines will be purely puzzles but it sounds like most of them are.

I also got that impression. And we've seen shrines with only puzzles, and shrines with puzzles and some enemies. There seems to be more battle-based shrines as well, based on the talk in these previews. I wouldn't be surprised if there are much variation outside the puzzle/enemy formula too for the shrines.

BTW, I wounder how long it will take until all shrines has been connected with its "name" origin? Like the first shrine on the Plateau, the "Shrine Oman Au", is Aonuma. I wonder if all the shrines are linked to members of the development team? Will Iwata get his own tribute shrine?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member

What do you think?

I think the engine would almost be guaranteed to be a variation of whatever they're using for Fire Emblem Warriors, which might already be a variation of the Hyrule Warriors engine. As jariw pointed out, it seems very unlikely Koei Tecmo could/could use a Nintendo engine to develop their game.

After Fire Emblem Warriors's inevitable DLC is done, I expect KT's next Nintendo-exclusive game will either be Hyrule Warriors 2 or another new IP.

As for this engine...well, the Zelda team is going to keep using it for the DLC. Beyond that, I'm sure the engine and its tech will be shared within Nintendo. Perhaps you might see a fast follow-up to BotW using the same engine (similar to OoT/MM), but the DLC has me skeptical that that will happen. Depending on what direction the next 3D Zelda game goes in, you might see all the physics stuff return. Regardless, I guarantee you that Nintendo won't just throw away all the work they put in over the past few years on this game. You might not recognize that it's the same engine or tech, but I'm sure it'll live on for a bit in Nintendo's work.

Top Bottom