• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Preview Thread

Yeah I know. It is not a big issue for me as long as it is not gamebreaking or anything.I survived Blight Town in DS on x360 without a lot of frustration :p I think they made it sound worse during the preview than it is. Hyped beyond believe for this game!

When I come back from my trip in Asia the 28th of April the first thing I do is buy a Switch and play this game until I have to go to work again 3 days later :)

I survived that as well! It won't be anything nearly as horrible as Blighttown.

Justinian

Yes, it has some framerate issues. Yes, Nintendo could probably release a performance patch if they feel the need to. Though you aren't going to come across many open world games that don't have some performance problems. Even Nintendo won't be exempt from this.

What is super weird is that the game runs much more smoothly in handheld mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t2uY91kyg

I don't understand why this would be the case since in docked mode the GPU is clocked much faster...

jariw

What is super weird is that the game runs much more smoothly in handheld mode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9t2uY91kyg

I don't understand why this would be the case since in docked mode the GPU is clocked much faster...

The handheld and docked mode can be treated independently by a game. I guess they included more details and longer drawing distance for the docked mode, which pushed it closer to the 30 fps limit?

Just watched the Easy Allies preview. They mentioned that the Switch version has framerate issues. Any other previewer mentioned this problem? Hope they can fix it with a patch.

If it doesn't break the game, don't count on a patch.

Addi

zelda breath of the wild absolutely cannot be a 10/10 here is a list of reasons why

- zelda is overrated
- when was the last good zelda? ocarina of time
- kiddy cartoon graphics no realistic
- switch is wii u power so cant render good graphics
- ugly open world flat and bland
- horizon looks better
- not powered by sony technology
- nintendo paid the press as usual
- waggle probably
- dlc season pass means game isnt even finish!!!!!!!!!

- it's not 60 fps, that alone should make it a 5/10
- they make it seem revolutionary, but it's just a combination of things other game have done before (and better must I add)

MADGAME

Riding a deer! Someone make a gif please.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYO47HUW8L8

2:32 forward. You can ride them, but they are not very fast and you can't register them in stables. Still, pretty cool!

Deer%20Ride_zpstgve2tno.gif

Justinian

If it doesn't break the game, don't count on a patch.

I'm hopeful they will improve the frame rate in a patch since it's happened before with first party Nintendo titles and polish/frame rate is something Nintendo have always been great at.

Not to mention the game is huge and they are bound to release patches to fix bugs.

I'm hopeful they will improve the frame rate in a patch since it's happened before with first party Nintendo titles and polish/frame rate is something Nintendo have always been great at.

Not to mention the game is huge and they are bound to release patches to fix bugs.

That Splatoon Inkopolis patch was life-changing.

I was seriously disappointed with the Switch but these Zelda threads are amazing. I'm hoping the season pass rolls when they say it will since I can see myself picking this up in the winter.

Has there been any statements on how long the game will take to finish the main storyline and all of the side quests?

Chaos17

I was seriously disappointed with the Switch but these Zelda threads are amazing. I'm hoping the season pass rolls when they say it will since I can see myself picking this up in the winter.

Has there been any statements on how long the game will take to finish the main storyline and all of the side quests?

These previews are only allowed to show about the first 5 hours of the game, anything beyond that you will have to wait for the reviews.

I'm expecting it to be a little under Skyrim levels of content, so probably like 200 hours or so for 100%.

The strategy guide has told us that
there are 76 side quests and 900 korok seed puzzles

Socreges

Banned
Have we gotten any specific impressions on the framerate in the Wii U version?

I think someone said EDGE commented on the Wii U framerate...?

AddiF

- it's not 60 fps, that alone should make it a 5/10
- they make it seem revolutionary, but it's just a combination of things other game have done before (and better must I add)

- no automatic riffles or rocket launchers for survival only plastic swords that break
- no cars to hijack only cartoony horses that can swim like wtf why
- no hookers or strippers only weird giant woman with too much make-up and huge jugs (which saves the game from doom)
- gameplay doesn't matter when the game has like early ps2 graphics
- 720/900p is so blocky it should be called LEGOres. It hurts your eyes to look at as much as it hurts to step on

I'm expecting it to be a little under Skyrim levels of content, so probably like 200 hours or so for 100%.

The strategy guide has told us that
there are 76 side quests and 900 korok seed puzzles
200 hours if you're using the guide, way, way more if you try the 100% by yourself. Completionists are doomed!

I never really played the game but that boss battle looks boring af (within today's standards)

Trust me, it was epic as hell for 1998.

Cucurbitacée;231049230 said:
200 hours if you're using the guide, way, way more if you try the 100% by yourself. Completionists are doomed!

Yesssss... I spent over 500 hours in Skyrim so far (in multiple playthroughs), if this gives me a similar or greater time sink I will be so happy.

Playing this on the elliptical will be the best workout ever.

LordKano

100%ing Xenoblade Chronicles X take around 300 hours. I wonder how much time Zelda will be.

Also, now Xenoblade 2 better step it up, they're coming after Zelda this time.

vareon

I never really played the game but that boss battle looks boring af (within today's standards)

The lead up to that battle was amazing, the atmosphere, Ganon's transformation, and the reveal of the true form was amazing at that time. Not to mention the caption was just "GANON", where it was always "[boss's title] + [boss name]". It just screams "this is it, go for it". All that blew my 11 years-old mind.

The battle itself was kinda easy, though. I think all of the 3D Zelda's final battles are more symbolic rather than a true test of whatever you learned in the game.

MADGAME

Since there is a reward system in place for killing wildlife, I wonder if there is one for not doing so. Could be difficult to not even accidentally harm an animal but it would be neat if you were rewarded for it.

Online reviews will drop March 2nd at 3 AM PT/6 AM ET/11 AM GMT. I will post the review thread 10 minutes before that. (Graphics are a work in progress)

HOMsCMM.gif

This is very pretty!

Can't wait to finally get this game, I ran out and bought a Wii U for it after the E3 first trailer. My goodness, it's only a few days away now.

Kinsei

Banned

It is, but there were a few things that made it a truly amazing fight back then.

1. The guy in the video had the secret sword. If you didn't manage to get that then you'd have no sword during the fight until you got the master sword back. Scrambling to find a way to defeat the boss after your main form of attack has just been taken away from you was very tense as a child.

2. The atmosphere for a Nintendo 64 game was simple amazing.

3. It truly felt like the entire game was building up to that point. Even a lot of games these days have trouble making their final boss actually feel like a final boss.

Greenymac

The lead up to that battle was amazing, the atmosphere, Ganon's transformation, and the reveal of the true form was amazing at that time. Not to mention the caption was just "GANON", where it was always "[boss's title] + [boss name]". It just screams "this is it, go for it". All that blew my 11 years-old mind.

The battle itself was kinda easy, though. I think all of the 3D Zelda's final battles are more symbolic rather than a true test of whatever you learned in the game.

I agree with this 1000%. I was 16 or 17 at the time and had played from the first Zelda onward. To see him take the final form I felt the same way you felt when just "GANON" showed on the screen. It felt so Epic and on the biggest of stages surrounded by flames. Seems tame in 2017, but 1998 GODDAMN!

Ditto... and never thought I'd see a Searchers reference here... bravo!

Searchers
was actually the first thing that came to my mind as well, even though it's always been one of those classics I've always appreciated but never really loved and not quite among my favorite westerns. But I guess I should see it again and I've been watching some of my favorite classics recently while waiting for Zelda. This weekend saw Persona and Casablanca once again. But yes we're very knowledge about films here in Zelda thread. :)

Five more days... It's strange to write but this might actually be my most anticipated game of all time.

Every NPC has a name, most every NPC has a life and Schedules like Betheda and Ultima games. NPCs react to the world in a natural way (and seem to animate pretty nicely compared to a Bethesda game's horrid Jank) and not all will be fighting. In one video, there was a couple on the road being attacked by Bokoblins in a video, while one was fighting off the enemy, the other (who was his wife) was being chased by another.

This is something that appeals to me greatly. Non gamey gameworlds. NPCs who have their own lives, not just there to service the player/forward progression.

For anyone who has seen a lot of spoilery footage, without actually spoiling anything can you tell me if you've seen a lot of varied landscapes? I've watched a lot of footage too and I've mostly seen grasslands, but is there any desert footage? If so how does it look? Any super duper snowy arctic-like footage? Anyone sailing on the ocean? Any dense forests?

Yes, but only 56% more pixels. The docked clock speed is almost double that of handheld.

It's also very likely they've raised some settings like draw distance and LoD for docked mode as those things are far more noticeable on a large TV screen than a small handheld screen.

Top Bottom