• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Have there been any comments on how this plays with the stock controller vs Pro controller?

Stock feels... well. It's going to take some getting used to. I don't have the pro controller yet. I'm playing fine with the Joy-Con attached in hand held mode at the moment. I'll have to keep my mind open during some additional play time in different modes before making up my mind. It's only been an hour for me.

Mechazawa

I think the thing that Eurogamer recontextualized for me is the weapon degradation. I don't have an issue with weapon degradation like a lot of the weenie boys in other series(sup Dark Souls 2), but Eurogamer mentioning that it gave them flashes of the combat loop from Halo is like...yes. Yes. I want dat.

Granted, Halo doesn't let you stash 10 other guns. But it frames just how many weapons get scattered around to pick up and one-off dunk enemies with.

Edit Also lol at calling that Clickhole article racist. Maybe the joke doesn't play with the zealots it's pointed at.

That's not racist. And watch the video.

Granted, I just read the first line in the link provided and didn't watch the video; so if they say something like "Ahh, we were just playing around - it was just a colloquialism" - I get it - but at face value, that quote does come off as a little bit racist, that's all I'm saying.

Moppeh

Banned
Comparing Breath Of The Wild's success to Japan's attack on Pearl Harbor isn't *a little racist*??

Come on now...

It isn't racist.

The comment literally has nothing to do with race. If Japan was all white people, the joke would function exactly the same.

Granted, I just read the first line in the link provided and didn't watch the video; so if they say something like "Ahh, we were just playing around - it was just a colloquialism" - I get it - but at face value, that quote does come off as a little bit racist, that's all I'm saying.

Just because a joke involves a country that has a different race doesn't make it racist, that's not how racism works.

Cuburt

I'm excited as hell to play Breath of the Wild, but I am equally excited to see what they can iterate out of the same type of game world in a sequel. I think the framework is there to really play around with it for another few games in the series. Basically make a Ocarina of Time to Majora's Mask out of Breath of the Wild and its sequel.
Well luckily we get DLC soon enough and they could really go crazy with it in ways we might not expect. For instance, everyone assumes everything but the new dungeon would be "throw away" stuff or less substantial, but I think a lot of expectations were based on old Zelda ideas of a Hard mode or dungeons.

With this new Zelda the maps don't even work the same and maybe a even a new map feature is a big deal that can reall add to the gameplay.

I for one hope they keep adding to this game and let us keep playing in this world.

Socreges

Banned
Just FYI you're necessarily suggesting that any joke against a country is at least a little bit racist.

FSLink

Banned

The Onion/Clickhole is satire...lol The fact that it is in poor taste is kinda the joke.

LakeEarth

I actually haven't checked this thread before, I knew it was reviewing really well but holy shit! Even Giant Bomb gave it 5/5 and they're jaded as fuck.

It isn't racist.

The comment literally has nothing to do with race. If Japan was all white people, the joke would function exactly the same.

Just because a joke involves a country that has a different race doesn't make it racist, that's not how racism works.

Just FYI you're necessarily suggesting that any joke against a country is at least a little bit racist.

It just struck me as tremendously inappropriate and "racist" was the first thing that came to mind. If the general consensus is that it was not a "racist" statement, but was merely in incredibly poor taste - I'm fine with that.

It just hit me wrong, I suppose.

...moving right along...

:)

Speely

Banned
Hey guys... I still have over 2 hours to wait before I pick up my Switch and Zelda... I have no idea what to do with myself...

Liiiiiink iiiinnn spaaaaaaaace

Try hugging your knees and rocking back and forth while moaning softly.

That's what I am doing
for the next 18 hours.

Cuburt

Hey guys... I still have over 2 hours to wait before I pick up my Switch and Zelda... I have no idea what to do with myself...
I was going to play some Twilight Princess or LoZ second quest but I'm debating just driving to the Best Buy early and just waiting. I can't wait to get my hands on that Zelda goodness.

Try hugging your knees and rocking back and forth while moaning softly.

That's what I am doing
for the next 18 hours.

Watch "The Wizard" with Fred Savage - that's what I'm doing lol

I was going to play some Twilight Princess or LoZ second quest but I'm debating just driving to the Best Buy early and just waiting. I can't wait to get my hands on that Zelda goodness.

I decided on watching Planet Earth 2 on BBC America for some reason haha

This is still behind GTA IV and Tony Hawk 2. I don't think it's hitting 99 (and while it'd be nice, it's unnecessary).

yeh...but its only got 62 reviews.........all the new games get way more reviews. So there has to be a dozen to 3 dozen more reviews??

even Halo Wars has 77 reviews. Last Guardian has over 100...Horizon has like 90 something

what if Zelda gets like 13 more 10/10's???

LProtag

I have to get through work tomorrow.

My students are giving presentations all day. I'm going to be so unfocused while I'm trying to listen to them and grade them, haha.

I decided on watching Planet Earth 2 on BBC America for some reason haha

It's funny,

I just got to the part of the movie "The Wizard" where Fred Savage is talking to Jenny Lewis [Haley] on the roof of her home and he mentions "Zelda II: The Adventure Of Link" and how "She's looking for a house and Link is looking for Zelda" lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom