• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mike6467

He's talking about it right now:

http://mixlr.com/jeff-gerstmann/

What I gather so far:

Thinks the map can be kinda empty

Doesn't like the climbing mechanic

Doesn't think the cooking mechanic is very well done for something so important to the game.

Listening to this now. I decided to pick the game up for the Wii U and hope for the best. I'm about 15 hours into Horizon and honestly feel the same way about that as he does about BOTW. I just haven't been able to get into it. I'm still playing it. It's good, but I'm not feeling the ridiculous "game changer" reviews. It kind of reminds me how I felt about Shadows of Mordor when it came out. The reviews were just insane, but it never got its hooks in.

There's also the possibility I'm just open world fatigued. It's Zelda though, so I'm still going to give it a shot (because I know I'll buy it eventually anyways) and see if it grabs me.

Not if you compare Zelda games to other games. Then, Zelda games are automatically 9's.

There were lots of ways that it fell short compared to other games

The fact that it didn't have a fully orchestrated score
The game world was pretty small (it came out the same year as Oblivion)
The fact that the controls and camera were basically unchanged from OOT

Crom

In hindsight, was he wrong about Twilight Princess?

If State of Emergency is an 8.6 (or whatever he gave it) then yes...he was wrong about TP.

Or maybe he was just really wrong about State of Emergency...

In all seriousness though...reviews are subjective. I personally think TP should be in the 9's because at the time the dungeons were amazing (and still are over a decade later) but he is welcome to his opinion just like anyone else.

Krowley

I think he ended up being correct about TP though. It's definately more of a high 8 game than a 9.5-10

More of a 10 actually.

But obviously there were a handful of people who didn't think so, and their opinions are valid too. Some people even think WW is the best 3D Zelda, which is just nuts to me. It's a 9+ game, but just barely.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to this now. I decided to pick the game up for the Wii U and hope for the best. I'm about 15 hours into Horizon and honestly feel the same way about that as he does about BOTW. I just haven't been able to get into it. I'm still playing it. It's good, but I'm not feeling the ridiculous "game changer" reviews. It kind of reminds me how I felt about Shadows of Mordor when it came out. The reviews were just insane, but it never got its hooks in.

There's also the possibility I'm just open world fatigued. It's Zelda though, so I'm still going to give it a shot (because I know I'll buy it eventually anyways) and see if it grabs me.

Shadow of Mordor will always be an odd case because it came out during a year of disappointments and bad releases. If it came out in the previous or next year it would have been a good 7 or 8 title.

The Hermit

I think he ended up being correct about TP though. It's definately more of a high 8 game than a 9.5-10

Yeah.

Even Miyamoto said in a interview it was " missing something".

It's the souless Zelda ever btw. It tried too hard to copy Ocarina and lost its identity. Almost same thing with link between worlds.

Our reviewer had issues with how the game ran, so we will update the review once Nintendo fixes the performance issues with the game.

Fair enough. Just curious, have they confirmed they're doing that? And if they can somehow get it up to a locked 30 fps (though I doubt it), what would the score end up being?

RK128

Fair enough. Just curious, have they confirmed they're doing that? And if they can somehow get it up to a locked 30 fps (though I doubt it), what would the score end up being?

I didn't review the game, but we agreed as a site if Nintendo fixes the issues, we will update the score to a 4 out of 5.

RK128

Is English your first language?

I'm not an editor but this is a little poorly written. The sentences don't flow well and I spotted at least one typo.

I did not write the review and we currently have no editor. But we will revisit the review and comb through any issues tonight. Any issues you see should be gone in the next half hour or so.

As soon as I read the review I knew it'd be the one you latch onto.

Waiting for TalentAlwaysWins to also comment on how this reviewer wasn't blinded by the Zelda name.

I think he got banned today.

Anyway this will definitely get a few sub 90 scores but I think the way Metacritic works, they weight certain reviewers more heavily such that it will be very hard for this game to drop very far.

Anyway this will definitely get a few sub 90 scores but I think the way Metacritic works, they weight certain reviewers more heavily such that it will be very hard for this game to drop very far.
For what? lol he was a junior too he wasted his time making absurd posts continuously.

Was he an alt or something?

unrealist

If we get a site posting 5/10 or 2.5/5, we will get people praising it for being oblivious to the Zelda brand and being honest. Soon..

Hastati

Another 10 on MC by Atomix.

"A titanic open world full of life and things to do, a robust combat system, the best story ever to grace the series, an unprecedented artistic direction, puzzles that will blow your mind...are only some of the elements that make The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild an authentic masterpiece that will leave a mark on this medium forever."

Glad to read this. I haven't heard much about the quality of the story so far, but it's nice to know that it's in line with the bar set by the rest of the game (although, if it wasn't the game would be scoring lower I suppose?).

REALLY can't wait!

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Shadow of Mordor will always be an odd case because it came out during a year of disappointments and bad releases. If it came out in the previous or next year it would have been a good 7 or 8 title.

Why do people keep saying this, do yall know what games came out in 2014? smash 4, mario kart, bayonetta 2, donkey kong TF.

gamerMan

3WIREL's Breath of the Wild Review (based on the Switch version) is live!

3.5/5. Is that the lowest so far? I haven't seen lower than 9/10.

Is this site trying to build out its following on NeoGaf? It doesn't have much of a following on Facebook.
The addition of voice acting also really changes thigns up along with, while irritating, quests to regain Links lost memories and connect the story together.

There are some really poorly worded sentences with grammar errors and run on sentences all over the place. A spell checker and grammar checker would help.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Why do people keep saying this, do yall know what games came out in 2014? smash 4, mario kart, bayonetta 2, donkey kong TF.

Actually you're right. Your post means it came out in a year where everyone ignored Nintendo releases.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I liked the gamespot, gameinformer and ign. Gameinformer has some really cool people, gamespot is a place that in a long while didn't give zelda a perfect score, and ign is from jose otero, a very good editor that doesn't hand out high scores super easily.

It's not like they deserved it.

RK128

Is this site trying to build out it's following? The site has 20 followers on Facebook. It's a great way to get a little publicity.

There are grammar errors and run on sentences all over the place. A spell check would help.

We are a smaller site and I honestly did most of the writing in 2016. We got new writers on board and we are still growing. I went through the review just now and made needed grammar changes. I did not write the review and we do not have an editor yet.

I'm am sorry if you have issues with our content but I assure you we are not a click-bait site; we are trying hard to provide quality content. The site is small and only started growing heavily last year.

It was actually infuriating how badly Bayo 2 got snubbed, TF I can understand, but Bayonetta 2 is still a far better game than SoM could ever dream to be, like it was leagues better, not close at all.

Is this site trying to build out it's following? The site has 20 followers on Facebook. It's a great way to get a little publicity.

There are grammar errors and run on sentences all over the place. A spell check would help.

It seemed the extreme open nature just wasn't quite the reviewer's cup of tea. He cited not liking being able to wander into areas that were just way too difficult early on, as well being a bit bummed about being too strong for some things later. That kinda stuff is just unavoidable in a nonlinear game with skill/stat progression. That said, it sounded like there wasn't much else to complain about other than technical issues, so I'm not quite sure the 30% reduction was warranted.

RK128

It seemed the extreme open nature just wasn't quite the reviewer's cup of tea. He cited not liking being able to wander into areas that were just way too difficult early on, as well being a bit bummed about being too strong for some things later. That kinda stuff is just unavoidable in a nonlinear game with skill/stat progression. That said, it sounded like there wasn't much else to complain about other than technical issues, so I'm not quite sure the 30% reduction was warranted.

Again, I did not write the review. But like I mentioned earlier, if Nintendo fixes issues via patches, we will update the review to a 4 out of 5.

Speely

Banned
We are a smaller site and I honestly did most of the writing in 2016. We got new writers on board and we are still growing. I went through the review just now and made needed grammar changes. I did not write the review and we do not have an editor yet.

I'm am sorry if you have issues with our content but I assure you we are not a click-bait site; we are trying hard to provide quality content. The site is small and only started growing heavily last year.

Don't let the dogpilers get to you. They were just initially nervous about their precious MC score ;)

Silly if you ask me. The content of the reviews out there matter more to me than the scores since it tells me more about the game. It's been overwhelmingly glowing, but there is room for other viewpoints.

Lilo_D

its ok if game is not a cup of tea for everyone
Also it's ok if the option of reviewer is a not of a cup of tea for everyone
If the reviewer already says they didn't like open world nature, there is not much value left in the review if you are like open world

He got banned? He was pushing it way too much.

VRMN

Don't let the dogpilers get to you. They were just initially nervous about their precious MC score ;)

Silly if you ask me. The content of the reviews out there matter more to me than the scores since it tells me more about the game. It's been overwhelmingly glowing, but there is room for other viewpoints.
I concur. I'm looking forward to hearing Gerstmann out on the stream tomorrow or the Bombcast next week just because he's more subdued on it than others. I don't agree with his views on some other Zelda games and I doubt this will be the one where we line up, but I appreciate his viewpoint nonetheless (even if I think his tendency towards needless hyperbole [Majora isn't a 'real' Zelda] can make it hard sometimes.)

Malus

I'll be honest I'm just here for the hype train. I've already decided to buy the game so I'll decide for myself if it's good or not.

Lynd7

I concur. I'm looking forward to hearing Gerstmann out on the stream tomorrow or the Bombcast next week just because he's more subdued on it than others. I don't agree with his views on some other Zelda games and I doubt this will be the one where we line up, but I appreciate his viewpoint nonetheless (even if I think his tendency towards needless hyperbole [Majora isn't a 'real' Zelda] can make it hard sometimes.)

Wait he actually said Majora isn't a real Zelda? What? Lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom