• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am so happy with the reception, i hope everyone loves this game and that we share our stories at hyrule together. what makes me happy is that even fans of the series, that abandoned for some time or only replay the older games are having a blast with the game and really loving it. While of course this game won't please everyone, hopefully it will be one that stays as a very pleasant memory in the minds of the majority that plays it.

Super mario odyssey also shows that nintendo really is trying to bring back some of these old fans, i hope that they take a hard look to many franchises that may have lost some people along the way and understand what excited them before.

Congratulations to everyone at nintendo that worked on this game, you deserve a very long rest and love for doing this.

yeh...but its only got 62 reviews.........all the new games get way more reviews. So there has to be a dozen to 3 dozen more reviews??

even Halo Wars has 77 reviews. Last Guardian has over 100...Horizon has like 90 something

what if Zelda gets like 13 more 10/10's???

Yeah, but there will be that one asshole 5 that will bring the whole average down.

Metacritic isn't normalized, right? IIRC, the difference between Metacritic and Opencritic is that the later is normalized, while the former is not.

superstu64

Neo Member
Quick question...

I'm in Tokyo on holiday, impulse bought zelda on switch (getting the console when back in UK) I just wondered if anyone knows if this will actually have English option?

It doesn't matter if they're making a joke or not - that is a really horrifically racist and horrible thing to say.

Let's not tarnish this amazing achievement that Nintendo has earned with stupid, lowbrow comments like this one.

EDIT: Sorry for the double post :)

This kind of attitude is why all the good comedians don't go to college campuses anymore.

Anyway uh...Zelda is really good.

Mael

That's the real question isn't it? it's crazy to even imagine.

I think they're going to stretch the concept a little like Mario Galaxy 2 and then all bets are off.
The only reason they went with Mario 3D Land and 3D World afterwards is because 2D Mario is incredibly more popular.
This is already looking like it could be the peak of Zelda.
If it sell more than Twilight Princess, all bets are off.
We can't use the past to predict the future anymore.
They can't go back to the formula or they're going to be murdered because who really want to go back to the usual formula after that?
Sure it's easier to produce but seriously for some of us it's looking like it's trying and succeeding at everything we ever wanted out of Zelda.
Maybe try to incorporate dungeons that are more integrated in nature like in previous games?
Going to space might not even be that far fetched when there's not much more they can do with Hyrule after this.
And I mean go full Gurren Laggan and have part of the scenery move and shit, like a Hyrule sized monster or something crazy like that.
I really have no idea for once and that's something I never thought I'd say.
Maybe get out of hyrule for a while?

If I could only read one review, which one would you guys recommend it to be?

I liked the gamespot, gameinformer and ign. Gameinformer has some really cool people, gamespot is a place that in a long while didn't give zelda a perfect score, and ign is from jose otero, a very good editor that doesn't hand out high scores super easily.

This is still behind GTA IV and Tony Hawk 2. I don't think it's hitting 99 (and while it'd be nice, it's unnecessary).

I never got that. I found Tony Hawk 2 to be.....kind meh tbh. Granted I didn't spend much time with it.

Tony Hawk 3 otoh, I used to play that game for hours and hours on end trying to top my high scores.

phanphare

Banned
Jeff (Gerstmann) doesn't seem to hot on it so far.

I guess he knows better than to review a Zelda game at this point

is this based on the most recent bombcast? because he seemed more "I'm curious to see how this plays out" than not liking it. he made it clear that he wasn't really playing a lot because he's on the company console right now and doesn't want to get too far before starting over on his own.

I liked the gamespot, gameinformer and ign. Gameinformer has some really cool people, gamespot is a place that in a long while didn't give zelda a perfect score, and ign is from jose otero, a very good editor that doesn't hand out high scores super easily.

Awesome, thanks man

Crom

Jeff (Gerstmann) doesn't seem to hot on it so far.

I guess he knows better than to review a Zelda game at this point

LOL. I remember when he was at Gamespot and gave Twilight Princess a score in the 8's. People looked at his old reviews like the mediocre State of Emergency and saw that he also gave it 8.something and were pissed.

Good times

Honestly though....it is best if he doesn't review Zelda games.

LOL. I remember when he was at Gamespot and gave Twilight Princess a score in the 8's. People looked at his old reviews like the mediocre State of Emergency and saw that he also gave it 8.something and were pissed.

Good times

I think he ended up being correct about TP though. It's definately more of a high 8 game than a 9.5-10

I haven't been this excited for a game in a long time. PLEASE HURRY AMAZON

bOIf7MV.gif

Speely

Banned
After hearing so much praise (especially from Dan), it is nice to hear a more critical opinion.

I agree. I sometimes disagree with Jeff, but I have never felt that his observations were unfair or unfounded. He just sometimes focuses on things others don't, and I like to have someone like that talking about games.

Moppeh

Banned
I agree. I sometimes disagree with Jeff, but I have never felt that his observations were unfair or unfounded. He just sometimes focuses on things others don't, and I like to have someone like that talking about games.

Yep, video game criticism as a whole benefits from someone like him, even when he is at his nitpickiest.

phanphare

Banned

I love jeff. I rarely agree with him but his insight is always great. I like having consistent voices and by that I mean jeff is always going to give you his honest take 100% of the time, nothing less nothing more.

Toxi

Banned

Good times

In hindsight, was he wrong about Twilight Princess?

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
everyone else: "looks like hitman at number 1"

brad: "but doom is so good"

everyone else: "yeah but hitman"

brad: "ok"

fin

I'd rather take this over the previous year where Jeff had to stop everything and make them do a voting system of "better or worse" with the whole staff to wrap things up. It pretty much invalidated all of their entire conversations but in a much worse/sterile way of doing things, and it just felt bad to listen to after all of the debate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom