• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurish

For me Horizon is the Guerilla saver. Killzone was getting worse fast after 2. Now they have a franchise that I love for the next years.

Indeed, that's the biggest takeaway from this game's launch, not all those idiotic Horizon vs Zelda arguments.

Wait...what? What the hell happened to that french magazine output that talked about how the framerate would usually become like single digits, how the loading times were super long and the game looked like ass?
Sounds a lot like bullshit to me. I have proof on the loading times and visually it is indeed next to identical. Switch docked has higher resolution and thus less jaggies as well. Thats pretty much it visually. Even the draw distance looks to be the same lol

Receipts please.
Made a thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1349435

eXistor

Man, so hyped for BotW, but also I've been secretly hoping that its design has inspired Nintendo themselves to make a new Metroid with the same ambition.

Just imagine...

TLZ

Banned
Man, so hyped for BotW, but also I've been secretly hoping that its design has inspired Nintendo themselves to make a new Metroid with the same ambition.

Just imagine...

I played both the Wii U and Switch versions. Actually playing the Switch version now and imo, I'm not impressed. I find it unacceptable how they release it in this state. All I see is framerate dips everywhere I go. This is docked, which is what I thought should be the definitive version. The game's still good, but for Kotaku to give this a 40/40 is wrong. I'd rather stick to the Wii U version.

If you're getting it to play portable, then I guess it's ok. Performance much better there. I still can't believe they did this.

Is there a patch to fix all the shitty performances when docked?

Also the game in general feels very unoptimized. The shadows and aliasing is something I'd expect on the Wii U maybe, not on the Switch.

Josman

Holy hell, the switch was not even on my radar anymore but these reviews are outstanding, never thought a 98 could happen in modern days, might definetly get one when Odyssey releases.

MTC100

Banned
This is just beyond my expectations, who would've thought a game like this could release in this day and age. 98 average is just insane.

I would like to yell "I thought that!" into your face, but I can't. I was fully expecting something along the lines of 95 or 96(given that the game would get quite a few 8s and some 7s) but this I couldn't predict. The difference between achieving a 95 and 98 sounds small but it's gigantic in reality, for a 98 Score to happen you aren't allowed to receive anything lower than perhaps 8.5 plus you'd have to have a huge amount of 10s -And that's what happenend with Breath of the Wild :D

I missed my chance to preorder and the switch is sold out everywhere already, I guess I will have to wait a few weeks to get my hands on the system. My plan was to get it with Mario sometime around christmas but I guess that plan was ruined now...

balohna

Trying to finally finish Skyward Sword, and wow... The home stretch drags on and on. I had liked this game from what I played before, and overall I still like it, but collecting a bunch of crap so you can get pieces of a song just feels like busy work.

I can see where people skeptical of 9s and 10s are coming from based on how this game compares to its initial reception. But I'm also pretty confident BOTW will deliver far beyond SS. SS is probably like an 8.5/10 for me... Fun core gameplay and some cool dungeons and bosses, but a lot of the other stuff in the game ranges from okay to straight-up bad.

I was gonna say something about BOTW having the opposite problem, but reviews have been pretty contradictory in terms of actual dungeons and dungeon bosses. Some reviewers disliked the dungeons but loved the bosses, some were the opposite, some loved both, some disliked both. Weird.

Oregano

Not really when it's predominantly Nintendo fanboys who will likely never play Horizon who are fueling this fire. I seldom see Sony fanboys going into Zelda threads to shit up the place with Horizon chest beating, whereas the opposite has been true for weeks now. I think most Horizon fans will be glad to see the back of this pathetic conflict.

Now, how I'm going to divide my time between both games this weekend is going to take some long and hard thought :/

Pop into the PAL charts thread on Monday and you'll be able to see how little Sony/Horizon fans care about Horizon outselling Zelda.

PS4 is a beast(tm)

Trying to finally finish Skyward Sword, and wow... The home stretch drags on and on. I had liked this game from what I played before, and overall I still like it, but collecting a bunch of crap so you can get pieces of a song just feels like busy work.

I can see where people skeptical of 9s and 10s are coming from based on how this game compares to its initial reception. But I'm also pretty confident BOTW will deliver far beyond SS. SS is probably like an 8.5/10 for me... Fun core gameplay and some cool dungeons and bosses, but a lot of the other stuff in the game ranges from okay to straight-up bad.

I was gonna say something about BOTW having the opposite problem, but reviews have been pretty contradictory in terms of actual dungeons and dungeon bosses. Some reviewers disliked the dungeons but loved the bosses, some were the opposite, some loved both, some disliked both. Weird.

The ending portion is my favorite in any Zelda but all the collecting before that point really drags it down. 8.5-9/10 for me but 3rd favorite zelda.

MTC100

Banned
Are we at 99 Metacritic yet?

;)

Won't happen, I've calculated to correct score now and it is:

97,56 (the game has 38 perfect 10s by the way)

So it's barely a 98 on meta, well I've heard they put more weight into scores that come from more known magazines(most likely the US ones, I guess?), so the score might be a bit more in Zeldas Favor but I am expecting the game to perhaps even drop to a low 97 metascore at some point.

I've never owned any Nintendo console and never played any Zelda game. I know next to nothing about the franchise, but this MC score really piqued my curiosity and makes me want to read about it.

Going over all 61 reviews is insane, so can you guys recommend a few that you found were great? I want a review that is very detailed for people who are completely new to the series as I am; that go into depth about the mechanics, writing, dialogue, quests, level design, and just what makes this game so special and better than other open worlds we've seen. The less superlatives in the review, the better. Not because I hate life or something, just because it won't tell me anything tangible as someone who's unfamiliar with Zelda.

Any suggestions?

Speely

Banned
Edit:

I've never owned any Nintendo console and never played any Zelda game. I know next to nothing about the franchise, but this MC score really piqued my curiosity and makes me want to read about it.

Going over all 61 reviews is insane, so can you guys recommend a few that you found were great? I want a review that is very detailed for people who are completely new to the series as I am; that go into depth about the mechanics, writing, dialogue, quests, level design, and just what makes this game so special and better than other open worlds we've seen. The less superlatives in the review, the better. Not because I hate life or something, just because it won't tell me anything tangible as someone who's unfamiliar with Zelda.

Any suggestions?

The Kotaku review (linked in the OP) covers what Zelda games were and (now) are very well. There are superlatives, though. Honestly, most reviews will have them. Jason is not overzealous with them, if that helps.

Having so much fun

Ghah, the wait is unbearable. Share one thing. Any one thing, no matter how seemingly trivial. ;)

Debirudog

Just imagine...

To be honest, I would like to practically see a Metroid game with practically a similar approach to it's game design.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I played both the Wii U and Switch versions. Actually playing the Switch version now and imo, I'm not impressed. I find it unacceptable how they release it in this state. All I see is framerate dips everywhere I go. This is docked, which is what I thought should be the definitive version. The game's still good, but for Kotaku to give this a 40/40 is wrong. I'd rather stick to the Wii U version.

If you're getting it to play portable, then I guess it's ok. Performance much better there. I still can't believe they did this.

Is there a patch to fix all the shitty performances when docked?

Also the game in general feels very unoptimized. The shadows and aliasing is something I'd expect on the Wii U maybe, not on the Switch.
You bought a Switch?!?

jariw

Any suggestions?

Difficult to find reviews without superlatives related to the game design at least. But I think the 10-minute video included in the Trusted Reviews review included what you're looking for pretty much. (It was actually kind of spoilerish regarding story and such.)

Also, the Waypoint review was pretty informative, with lots of different angles.

Kotaku review was also good and informative.

-MB-

I've been enjoying reading the reviews, but why isn't anyone mentioning the music in the game? After the stellar music in the trailers, I'm very curious to know if the game matches that quality.

It appears that awesome track from the January event Story trailer isn't even in the game itself. And from what I been hearing of the actual OST, that means the best piece of music the composer mustered was not even put in. Makes me sad.

Picked up my switch and zelda SE but way too tired to set it up and play. Ill save it for tomorrow after work when im awake and can truly appreciate it.

vareon

Any suggestions?

Maybe try Kotaku (Jason Schreier) or Waypoint's review. They focus on stories they made in game rather that what changed from Zelda series.

Just as I accurately predicted a 94+ score, this is the best reviewed game of the gen (Horizon tried but it just wasn't the "Zelda killer" Sony fans thought). Somehow Nintendo managed to beat even Super Mario 3D World and Metal Gear Solid V, the previously highest rated and highly polished original games this gen. The Wii U had the last laugh. I told y'all it has the best library of games vs. the competition.

Can anything in the next few years even come close to BOTW? Persona 5 (it has an uphill battle on its hands) perhaps? Doubt it. Zelda soars above the competition as usual.

Which Sony fans thought it was a Zelda killer? They are made up, by people like you.
Is it that hard to imagine that the two games can live next to each other? They are not the same.

Your post reeks of narcism.

I've been gaming since the SNES days and I've never played a 3D Zelda. Can't wait to get in on this. Just impulse ordered a Neon switch and zelda off amazon!

edit: meant to put this in the normal Zelda thread, ah well.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
lmao. already 10 negative user reviews on metacritic

?

2017-03-0309_43_02-thc3k4d.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom