• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Horizon-

I have to repeat myself here: I did not review breath of the wild. Those reviews you listed are from myself. I rated those games. So of course there will be differences between stuff I review and others on the site.

I feel stupid even posting the review here now. Look, the writer for the review is more critical toward games then I am. So the harsher score reflects that.

Sorry if everyone here doesn't like the content we produce at 3WIREL but we will take feedback and ensure we consider it when writing future content.
From previous threads I've seen, emotions run very VERY high in review threads, especially for games that hold some kind of pedigree or legacy. Don't be bothered by people criticizing a score. If the person on your site that wrote that review can stand by their judgement on the game then they should stick with it :)

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The fact that mainline Zelda games always get extremely rave scores regardless of whether they're shit (Skyward Sword 93/100, Phantom Hourglass 90/100 & Spirit Tracks 87/100), or at most good (A Link Between Worlds 91/100, Twilight Princess 96/100) kind of makes the current score mean nothing to me. I still maintain the feeling of "What if it's another weak Zelda game again and the reviews are once again bloated".

Damn it, I want to wait for the hype to die down so I can know if it's actually good, but the Zelda fan in me also wants it NOW!

Zelda Games get good scores because even the ones you consider "shit" are actually really good games enjoyed by the majority who play.

Your post is laughable.

tebunker

Banned
The fact that mainline Zelda games always get extremely rave scores regardless of whether they're shit (Skyward Sword 93/100, Phantom Hourglass 90/100 & Spirit Tracks 87/100), or at most good (A Link Between Worlds 91/100, Twilight Princess 96/100) kind of makes the current score mean nothing to me. I still maintain the feeling of "What if it's another weak Zelda game again and the reviews are once again bloated".

Damn it, I want to wait for the hype to die down so I can know if it's actually good, but the Zelda fan in me also wants it NOW!

Dude there are enough non-spoiler videos and impressions out there that I think you can make a grown up decision on your own as to whether it is just hype or actually your cup of tea.

Go on... scoot, go watch some videos, I think you may be happy, especially if you like pre-oot zeldas...

skypunch

Banned
Without xenoblade x there would be no BOTW so it makes sense

This holds some merit. I read an interview with Genki Yokota (I think?), and he said that everything Monolith Soft learnt while making Xenoblade X will be sent round to all other Nintendo teams.

What a weird scale you must have where Skyward Sword is shit.

Acerac

Banned
The fact that the more mainline Zelda games always get extremely rave scores regardless of whether they're shit (Skyward Sword 93/100, Phantom Hourglass 90/100 & Spirit Tracks 87/100), or at most good (A Link Between Worlds 91/100, Twilight Princess 96/100) kind of makes the current score mean nothing to me. I still maintain the feeling of "What if it's another weak Zelda game again and the reviews are once again bloated".

As a classic Zelda fan who has not really loved any of the games since Majora's Mask, this feels like what I've always wanted. They finally gave us that Zelda 1 feeling in 3d, it is absolutely magical.

Whenever someone says the media overrates Zelda games I know it's actually just "I don't enjoy Zelda games". Because it's the exact same argument I used to make with Uncharted or GTA. The games are actually fine. I don't like thing does not mean thing is overrated.

ReyVGM

Buddy... Head up and always forward. This is a bad thread by which to judge yourself, but it might also be a good way to throw yourself into the fire and use the resulting data for future revisions :) Gamers are prickly pears.

True, but at the same time, if the writers in their haste to post an already late review are willing to go live with something that doesn't have a good sentence flow and has grammar mistakes, then they clearly need the criticism or else they will not better themselves.

I give that review a 3.5 / 5.
If the grammar mistakes and sentence flow is fixed, I'll give it a 4 / 5. What will the missing score point be for? Who knows.

Malus

It wasn't just the story and characters that people enjoyed but the world, and the concept of that world: traversal across two giant dead gods. The music also touched people.

We haven't seen enough to say whether it's as ambitious or not but knowing Monolith Soft it probably will be. Didn't ShockingAlberto say it was just as ambitious as X?

If we look at the trailer, you're actually travelling on top of a living creature and the head and neck of the creature is actually turning in real time. That's a wholly new concept. There's no other JRPG set on humongous living breathing creatures that actually move through the sky in real time.

Well I laid out what I meant by ambitious. Interactivity with the world, gameplay variety, etc. Things not as present in the Xenoblade series thus far. Having a cool concept is nice but probably not something that can carry a game into the mid to high 90s imo.

Anyways yeah this is off topic but the Zelda scores ain't flowin. Stuck at 62, should still be 20-30 reviews left to go. Damn nearly a third, who knows what might change :eek:

Nah, I'm just not gonna sugarcoat the flaws of those games just because they're Zelda. There is no fucking way on earth that Phantom Hourglass is a 9/10.

I really, really don't like Skyward Sword. When I say shit, I just mean that I personally view it as a bad game. It's the first Zelda game I actively wanted to end because I was not enjoying my time with it at all.
Agreed on PH. 8/10 for me. I wish SS was less polarizing - I really enjoyed and appreciated it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Where's the OT for this game?

Smellycat

You take that back!

I agree! Great game. The only bad thing about Spirit Tracks... are the the train segments, which unfortunately take up a large portion of the game, fortunately, the main theme is stellar. I loved the dungeons in that game!! Some very creative ideas to be found.

Oh and those blowing into the mic mini games can go to hell.

skypunch

Banned
Well I laid out what I meant by ambitious. Interactivity with the world, gameplay variety, etc. Things not as present in the Xenoblade series thus far. Having a cool concept is nice but probably not something that can carry a game into the mid to high 90s imo.

Not every open world game needs BotW's world interactivity or gameplay variety to be a fucking amazing game. The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles proves this.

The game will be ambitious in areas where BotW is not. The world concept of XB2 is already leagues more interesting and imaginative than BotW.

Tuck

As a classic Zelda fan who has not really loved any of the games since Majora's Mask, this feels like what I've always wanted. They finally gave us that Zelda 1 feeling in 3d, it is absolutely magical.

Sort of funny how Nintendo giving Zelda 1 in 3D makes people go crazy with excitement (BotW), while giving Mario 1 in 3D makes everyone go crazy with disappointment (3D World)

Baltic

Banned
I agree! Great game. The only bad thing about Spirit Tracks... are the the train segments, which unfortunately take up a large portion of the game, fortunately, the main theme is stellar. I loved the dungeons in that game!! Some very creative ideas to be found.

Oh and those blowing into the mic mini games can go to hell.

Great music is always a tipping the scale factor. I had a hard time with SP and never finished it on three separate attempts. Always bugged me what people enjoy that much with this one but maybe someday it will click.

Hnnnnnnnm.....did the Wii U version end up not being as terrible as mentioned earlier?
Not at all. Visually its almost the same, content is the exact same, loading times are faster on the Wii U if you get the digital copy and framerate is spotty on both of them (but Switch in handheld mode is noticeably more stable)

Just saw this thread...wow.

Gratz to Nintendo for making such an incredible product.

Looks like this might be the best game of the gen.

Realeza

Banned
Not every open world game needs BotW's world interactivity or gameplay variety to be a fucking amazing game. The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles proves this.

The game will be ambitious in areas where BotW is not. The world concept of XB2 is already leagues more interesting and imaginative than BotW.

Absolutely nothing worthwhile or constructive has come out of your posts dog. Go to bed.

Tookay

Not every open world game needs interactivity with its world or gameplay variety to be a fucking amazing game. The Witcher 3 and Xenoblade Chronicles proves this.

I love Witcher 3 (it's been my game of the generation so far), but that's mostly in spite of its non-interactive world, not because of it.

TW3's lack of interactivity and limited gameplay loop is what leads to a good chunk of its quests devolving into following your Witcher senses, instead of genuine puzzle-solving.

And I wouldn't say XB2's concept of a world on atop of a giant deity is "imaginative" when it seems to be lifting directly from its predecessor.

skypunch

Banned
And I wouldn't say XB2's concept of a world on atop of a giant deity is "imaginative" when it seems to be lifting directly from its predecessor.

The world of XB1 was set on top of two giant dead gods, whereas XB2 looks set on top of different living creatures moving through the sky. How is that lifting directly from its predecessor? Wouldn't lifting directly mean that the setting is exactly the same as Xenoblade?

Your salt is beginning to show.

T-0800

Sort of funny how Nintendo giving Zelda 1 in 3D makes people go crazy with excitement (BotW), while giving Mario 1 in 3D makes everyone go crazy with disappointment (3D World)

I don't think 'everyone' means what you think it means.

meow

Which is fine, I'm glad you got enjoyment out of it, but the extreme amount of padding, the almost exclusive focus on wii-mote direction combat, repetition of bosses, The Imprisoned, Fi, inconsistent dungeon quality and dead overworld are a thing. That is not to say that everyone has to feel the same way about it, but it does make me go "How the hell did this get an average of 93/100?"

Maybe in a world where the train sections weren't like the majority of the game, but as it is now, never! (I do like Zelda in that game though)
None of the things you mentioned bothered me. Presumably there are people like me, and that's how it got that score. :p

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
The world of XB1 was set on top of two giant dead gods, whereas XB2 looks set on top of different living creatures in the sky. How is that lifting directly from its predecessor? Wouldn't lifting directly mean that the setting is exactly the same as Xenoblade?

lol

Why are you even in this thread?

LotusHD

Banned

image.php

What this got to do with BoTW reviews tho

Smellycat

Trusted Reviews

If there's a better game out there than Breath of the Wild, I haven't played it. Nintendo has created, for me, the greatest game of all time. It's everything I want from a game and one of the most rewarding experiences I've ever had.

VOOKS

Breath of the Wild isn't just the best Zelda game ever crafted, it's one of the best games of all time.

GameCentral

In Short: The best Zelda there's ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.

DigitalChumps

It's not only the best Zelda game ever created, it's also one of the very best videogames in the history of the art.

It is one thing to have one reviewer say that this is the best game of all time, but to have several ones?

Oh man..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom