• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still so happy about this thread and the reception this game has received. I can't wait to play next week.

I'm overwhelmed at how fantastic the current gaming climate is, so many fantastic games coming out which all offer unique experiences.

We're all blessed.

rrs

Wait...what? What the hell happened to that french magazine output that talked about how the framerate would usually become like single digits, how the loading times were super long and the game looked like ass?
I've seen some wiiu footage that shows the frames disappearing in settlements, that's at least true. Everything else points to no

ASIS

I'm still so happy about this thread and the reception this game has received. I can't wait to play next week.

I'm overwhelmed at how fantastic the current gaming climate is, so many fantastic games coming out which all offer unique experiences.

We're all blessed.
Easily the best Q1 ever in gaming.

Let's see if 2017 will manage to keep up the pace (hint: it will).

Anth0ny

Once in a great while, we are privileged to experience an event so extraordinary, it becomes part of our shared heritage. 1969: Man walks on the moon.1971: Man walks on the moon… again. Then, for a long time, nothing happened. Until tonight.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Just as I accurately predicted a 94+ score, this is the best reviewed game of the gen (Horizon tried but it just wasn't the "Zelda killer" Sony fans thought). Somehow Nintendo managed to beat even Super Mario 3D World and Metal Gear Solid V, the previously highest rated and highly polished original games this gen. The Wii U had the last laugh. I told y'all it has the best library of games vs. the competition.

Can anything in the next few years even come close to BOTW? Persona 5 (it has an uphill battle on its hands) perhaps? Doubt it. Zelda soars above the competition as usual.

2RPsp4T.gif

Which is fine, I'm glad you got enjoyment out of it, but the extreme amount of padding, the almost exclusive focus on wii-mote direction combat, repetition of bosses, The Imprisoned, Fi, inconsistent dungeon quality and dead overworld are a thing. That is not to say that everyone has to feel the same way about it, but it does make me go "How the hell did this get an average of 93/100?"

Maybe in a world where the train sections weren't like the majority of the game, but as it is now, never! (I do like Zelda in that game though)
If you really want to know if the scores are "inflated," read the actual reviews instead of just glancing at the score and checking the scores of other Zelda games. The context of the reviews matter. Nobody is saying "This is great! Just like Skyward Sword and Phantom Hourglass!" They're using very deliberate language and saying "This is one of the best video games ever made." That's the difference.

There's also a big difference between a 93 and a 98 MC, much bigger than the difference between an 88 and a 93. 93 is a game of the year contender. 98 is a game of all time contender.

FZZ

Banned
Just as I accurately predicted a 94+ score, this is the best reviewed game of the gen (Horizon tried but it just wasn't the "Zelda killer" Sony fans thought). Somehow Nintendo managed to beat even Super Mario 3D World and Metal Gear Solid V, the previously highest rated and highly polished original games this gen. The Wii U had the last laugh. I told y'all it has the best library of games vs. the competition.

Can anything in the next few years even come close to BOTW? Persona 5 (it has an uphill battle on its hands) perhaps? Doubt it. Zelda soars above the competition as usual.

2RPsp4T.gif

Super Mario Odyssey

Bad7667

Easily the best Q1 ever in gaming.

Let's see if 2017 will manage to keep up the pace (hint: it will).

Yeah, I think so as well. We still have so many amazing games to come just this month. And then its Red Dead 2, Mario, Prey, Mass Effect, Shadow of Mordor, possibly Insomniac's Spider-Man game, Persona 5, possibly Crackdown 3, South Park, and Assassins Creed.

And those games are just ones I can remember. And I'm sure there are some games that are coming this year that haven't been announced yet, like maybe we get a new Valve game announced at e3 (L4D3).

Like holy shit, last year was amazing, but this year might just be even better.

KooopaKid

Banned
Yes!

Very good point! 22 reviews compared to over 60 is a night and day differential. If you would look at it based on that average, Ocarina Of Time would be in second place behind Breath Of The Wild.

OoT had way more reviews than that at the time but the Internet isn't good at keeping track of past news. Plenty of sites have disappeared since.

ReyVGM

That's just how Zelda reviews are in general, though I hope this lives up to it, still. Guess I'll be getting the Wii U version sometime soon.

I have actually read some of the reviews and some read eerily similar to some SS reviews, which also spoke of it being both one of the greatest Zelda and general games ever. MC scores are generally useless anyway, let alone be an indication of GOAT, but at least it's reassuring enough to have it be liked by so many

Eggcept SS also had a lot of negative reviews. BotW doesn't (at least on MC).

Once in a great while, we are privileged to experience an event so extraordinary, it becomes part of our shared heritage. 1969: Man walks on the moon.1971: Man walks on the moon… again. Then, for a long time, nothing happened. Until tonight.

Nono. Its like this:

13 billion years ago

The Big Bang

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

ASIS

Yeah, I think so as well. We still have so many amazing games to come just this month. And then its Red Dead 2, Mario, Prey, Mass Effect, Shadow of Mordor, possibly Insomniac's Spider-Man game, Persona 5, possibly Crackdown 3, South Park, and Assassins Creed.

And those games are just ones I can remember. And I'm sure there are some games that are coming this year that haven't been announced yet, like maybe we get a new Valve game announced at e3 (L4D3).

Like holy shit, last year was amazing, but this year might just be even better.
I'll just say one thing. This generation already shits all over last one.

The Japanese are back, and it is glorious!

Frankly, I thought the Zelda vs Horizon arguments were going to be by far the highlight of the pre-launch threads. In reality, though, turns out it wasn't much of a fight.

The REAL juicy treat (for me at least) was the back and forth between fans of previous Zelda games, especially TP vs SS vs WW.

I fucking love you, guys.

Between ALBW and the impressions for this game, it seems like Nintendo now fully understands what fans want from Zelda. Can't wait to play this eventually and see what's to come for the series.

Chumley

Banned
Oh man I just remembered RDR2 is also this year. This could very easily be the new GOAT gaming year between Zelda, Mario, and RDR2 not to mention all the others.

Frankly, I thought the Zelda vs Horizon arguments were going to be by far the highlight of the pre-launch threads. In reality, though, turns out it wasn't much of a fight.

The REAL juicy treat (for me at least) was the back and forth between fans of previous Zelda games, especially TP vs SS vs WW.

SS>TP>WW

Fight me.

hatchx

Banned

I still think horizon and Zelda comparisons will be made throughout the year. Probably quite a few 'I preferred horizon' threads to come, for the sake of opinions.

I just have missed the back and fourth on TP vs SS vs WW, what an interesting fight. Definitely WW for me.

And I love you too. Tomorrow will be a glorious day knowing each and every fan in this thread will be experiencing it too.

Madouu

Congrats on the amazing scores, I have been playing the game for a few days now and it certainly lives up to its hype.

More than the scores though, there have been some great reviews written, I strongly encourage everyone to read them to get a thorough idea of why this is an excellent game. Scores only give an idea of what to expect. Schreier's review is great and conveys the spirit of the game very well for example.

As far as the people who have their doubts about the game, I think that's fair. What these reviews show is that the games qualities have universal appeal. In other words, there is a much higher chance for a randomly selected person to find the game excellent than the opposite. In fact, a much higher chance than any other game, it is after all, the highest rated game in the last decade. Doesn't mean everyone will love it, many will hate it and that's perfectly fine, many more will love it, and are in fact loving every moment of it right now. That's just how the world works.

No need to rush in to review threads to downplay scores. Your opinion is already valid on its own, trying to convince everyone that you are in fact right and the majority wrong is silly. Just relax and enjoy the ride. It's just a game.

Mory Dunz

I still think horizon and Zelda comparisons will be made throughout the year. Probably quite a few 'I preferred horizon' threads to come, for the sake of opinions.

I just have missed the back and fourth on TP vs SS vs WW, what an interesting fight. Definitely WW for me.

And I love you too. Tomorrow will be a glorious day knowing each and every fan in this thread will be experiencing it too.

There's going to be several "BoTW isn't that great and here's why" threads throughout the year and people will take it as a personal attack lol

my response would just be, "ok".

Ganrob

Neo Member
Before we embark on the journey that is Breath of the wild, let us all appreciate....

....What a great fucking game Skyward Sword is.

Ancient cistern

The dessert area

Time switch stones

Girahim

Demise

ANCIENT CISTERN

Pheeeeew

DAT ending, tear jerker.

DAT soundtrack, amazing.

Let the Zelda cycle come into effect. Let us join hands and love skyward sword.

And not to forget Sky Keep!

I only played Horizon for 5 hours because I was afraid this game would look (graphically) like shit if I finished that first. I last played Tuesday morning. Now I'm afraid BotW is gonna make the game design in Horizon look like amateur hour when it's all said and done. That's not a knock on the quality of Horizon, it's just that Zelda might end up being that good. Almost there, GAF!

My two cents

MM > LTTP > Zelda 1 > SS > WW > OOT > TP > Zelda 2 for home consoles.

Currently waiting on BOTW download to finish and playing that before placing it on my list.

Not really when it's predominantly Nintendo fanboys who will likely never play Horizon who are fueling this fire. I seldom see Sony fanboys going into Zelda threads to shit up the place with Horizon chest beating, whereas the opposite has been true for weeks now. I think most Horizon fans will be glad to see the back of this pathetic conflict.

Now, how I'm going to divide my time between both games this weekend is going to take some long and hard thought :/

janoDX

Mass Effect: Andromeda (also this month) if they don't fuck up.

Then it will be God of War turn (if the rumor of 2017 is true) or Mario Odyssey.

But I don't see other game competing to BOTW for GOTY or score contention.

Not really when it's predominantly Nintendo fanboys who will likely never play Horizon who are fueling this fire. I seldom see Sony fanboys going into Zelda threads to shit up the place with Horizon chest beating, whereas the opposite has been true for weeks now. I think most Horizon fans will be glad to see the back of this pathetic conflict.

But I have a WiiU and a PS4, I have both games, I like both but Zelda was much better.

Gurish

2RPsp4T.gif

I don't think any "Sony fan" seriously expected Horizon to be a Zelda killer, certainly not on GG's first try in the genre, most of us were happy that the game is actually great, without any comparison to Zelda.

Oh and you forgot U4 in the list of the highest rated games this far up until Zelda ;)

Oh 2, WiiU is still a very weak and disappointing system regardless of one super incredible game it has.

But I have a WiiU and a PS4, I have both games, I like both but Zelda was much better.

Missing my point. The amount of shit posting in Horizon threads over the past couple of months with Zelda comparisons wasn't necessary, regardless of personal opinions as to which game is better.

I have both as well, and will be playing both throughout this month but I'm not interested in which one is "better".

kadotsu

Banned
I don't think any "Sony fan" seriously expected Horizon to be a Zelda killer, certainly not on GG's first try in the genre, most of us were happy that the game is actually great, without any comparison to Zelda.

For me Horizon is the Guerilla saver. Killzone was getting worse fast after 2. Now they have a franchise that I love for the next years.

I liked SS and TP differently for different things. But guys, whilst you argue relentlessly over the console Zeldas, the DS abominations sit grinning.

A sequel to Wind Waker.

A sequel to Wind Waker, they said.

The bastards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom