• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hasney

tumblr_ntt1wpXIMJ1rji3hpo9_400.gif

10/10 - God is a Geek

I do not say this lightly: Breath of the Wild is an absolute masterpiece, and may well be the best The Legend of Zelda game ever made. Having grown up playing those first games as a child on a system I remember fondly, it feels extra special to be playing a new Zelda on a new console; that I can't deny, and there are flaws (it's not perfect), but otherwise, this is everything I wanted it to be and more. I won't forget Breath of the Wild for a long time, because it's a memorable, beautiful, stunner of a game.

edit: video review is live as well - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997KOTTbNlY

Review from Gamecentral:

http://metro.co.uk/2017/03/02/the-l...-of-the-wild-review-best-of-the-best-6483294/

In Short: The best Zelda there's ever been, and very possibly the best video game ever made.

Pros: Incredible attention to detail and interactivity at every level, from the massive open world to the exciting combat, intricate puzzles, clever AI, and charming dialogue.

Cons: Desaturated colour scheme can spoil the look of the visuals. You can't rename Link.

Score: 10/10

(Gamecentral reviews rather like Edge, so a 10 is a big deal)

Exceprts:

Although we still consider it the best of the post-N64 home console games, the reputation of 2011's Skyward Sword has sunk considerably over the years – with fans, with critics, and seemingly with Nintendo themselves. But its failings seem to be the driving force behind Breath Of The Wild's changes, which is surprising considering both games share the same producer and director. Where Skyward Sword was criticised for its poor pacing and restrictive environments, Breath Of The Wild luxuriates in one of the largest and most intricately detailed open world landscapes ever seen.

And while Skyward Sword took painful long hours to get going, Breath Of The Wild has you out fending for yourself in mere minutes. Although it seems impossible that a modern title could take any useful inspiration from a 31-year-old NES game the influence of the original The Legend Of Zelda is surprisingly obvious, as you're thrust out on your quest with the very minimum of instruction – free to go where you like, and defend against extremely dangerous enemies, from the very start.

The Zelda games have always resisted easy categorisation but Breath Of The Wild more so than ever. It's the closest the series has come to being a true role-playing game since Zelda II, but it also owes a strong influence to survival games. Link still doesn't have any stats but his three-piece outfits do, and so do the weapons, armour, and shields he picks up. The outfits can be upgraded but the equipment has an extremely short half-life before it breaks, and cannot be repaired.

Even the artificial intelligence is remarkably good, as monsters gang up and retreat when necessary, or know to pick up dropped weapons. They'll kick away unexploded bombs and throw explosive barrels – or even smaller monsters if they're one of the bigger enemies.

By now we've outlined the basics of what Breath Of The Wild is and how it works, but we've still only scratched the surface of why we think it's one of the best games ever made. To put things dispassionately it's the level of detail and flexibility the game world offers. But the way that manifests is through the countless unforeseeable events and stories that lie around every corner. From your first falling to star to spotting smoke signals in the distance and wandering who they're from, the game has an almost infinite capacity to surprise and delight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom