• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not salty, I just don't really get how the most ridiculous hyperbolic praise about BotW is from the same outlet that effectively gave it an 8/10.

I've already addressed this. That quote is NOT from GameXplain, it's from a Nintendo Force editor who joined Andre (the reviewer) for a video preview.

kennyamr

Old but maybe some people didn't saw

C51D3gxWMAA_a9Q.jpg

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/836900018208522241

This is a beautiful piece of artwork. Great job, Nintendo. You still have that magic in you.

Congrats to everyone who worked on the game. Well deserved.

Anyone doubting these scores just plain needs to play the game. It is abundantly clear that it deserves the acclaim after you do.

I even took a moment to add a note to the bottom of my review:

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

A 10/10 is a rare achievement; in fact, the last one I awarded was seven years ago in 2010. It’s also natural to doubt whether any game should deserve such high acclaim, so let me spend a few moments to address any such concerns.

In my 15 years of reviewing games, this is one of the easiest and most certain scores that I have ever awarded, and there is no doubt that Zelda: Breath of the Wild deserves every bit of the acclaim this tremendous score implies. I tried in earnest to conjure valid criticism of the game every moment I spent with it, but in reality, apart from the usual technical what-ifs and minor quibbles about platform limitations, there is truly nothing much wrong with this game. It is the first game in a very long time which I have felt compelled to spend 100+ hours playing, and most importantly, every single moment I have spent with it has been something special.

This is a memorable moment for gaming. Breath of the Wild is a very special product which we will probably not witness again anytime soon—or possibly ever. Let go of your concerns and prepare yourself: this is the ultimate adventure you’ve been waiting for. You are in for something unforgettable.

Spinifex

Similar to when the Witcher 3 first came out and I experienced game freezes every now and then, the strengths outweigh the negatives.

Hopefully, similar to Witcher 3, this too can be patched.

I've already addressed this. That quote is NOT from GameXplain, it's from a Nintendo Force editor who joined Andre (the reviewer) for a video preview.

Ah, fair enough. The quote I saw must have been misattributed.

seeing some of these wii-u / cemu posts make me wish this was Switch-only to help push the device more

That won't matter right now, if I'm being honest. I would buy a Switch for Zelda if they didn't undercook it (the console, not the game) , but Nintendo won't need my money right now, the first batches will sell with or without games, complete or not.

Anyone doubting these scores just plain needs to play the game. It is abundantly clear that it deserves the acclaim after you do.

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

A 10/10 is a rare achievement; in fact, the last one I awarded was seven years ago in 2010. It’s also natural to doubt whether any game should deserve such high acclaim, so let me spend a few moments to address any such concerns.

In my 15 years of reviewing games, this is one of the easiest and most certain scores that I have ever awarded, and there is no doubt that Zelda: Breath of the Wild deserves every bit of the acclaim this tremendous score implies. I tried in earnest to conjure valid criticism of the game every moment I spent with it, but in reality, apart from the usual technical what-ifs and minor quibbles about platform limitations, there is truly nothing much wrong with this game. It is the first game in a very long time which I have felt compelled to spend 100+ hours playing, and most importantly, every single moment I have spent with it has been something special.

This is a memorable moment for gaming. Breath of the Wild is a very special product which we will probably not witness again anytime soon—or possibly ever. Let go of your concerns and prepare yourself: this is the ultimate adventure you’ve been waiting for. You are in for something unforgettable.
Lord have mercy GIVE ME STRENGTH TO RESIST UNTIL MIDNIGHT

Realeza

Banned

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

Sounds incredible man.

LotusHD

Banned

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

:)

I don't understand how people can be reading these reviews and not seeing what the major reason for these scores is. You're either in denial or being intentionally obtuse, the both of you.

The common thread is the realism in interactivity (and reactivity) of the world and the systems, and how it's on another level compared to essentially every other game. A lot of reviews have said something along the lines of "you'll be asking yourself 'can I do this thing?' and the answer will almost always be 'yes!'"

Look at the reviews for every 3D zelda game. Every single one gets insanely over hyped by both consumers and games media. I think they're all hovering around 95 on MC. I am thrilled BotW is killing it critically. However, based on history of my personal preferences differing from the norm (wind waker is the only 3D Zelda that really gets me excited the rest are just okay imo), it's totally reasonable for people to take these reviews with a teeny tiny grain of salt. Further, just because someone like me isn't puking rainbows and jizzing all over my keyboard right now, it doesn't mean I'm not excited to play BotW eventually and hopefully have an amazing, 10/10 experience.

Before even Skyward Sword came out and open world games were just getting popular I remember telling my friends that I would love to see a Zelda game do something like that and how Nintendo's ability to polish a game to a mirror shine on an open world game would just be amazing but I don't even think I really thought it would be this amazing.

Man I can't wait to play this game tomorrow!

RoyalFool

Banned
A delayed game is eventually great.

Miyamoto wasn't kidding, wonder how this final product compares to what they would have shipped last year on the Wiiu if it wsnt held back for the switch.

Going to hold fire until Cemu can't emulate it I think and just sit on the wiiu copy until then

Quonny

Man I really hope I can get over the weapon breaking mechanic, because this seems incredible. I just fear that it will potentially ruin the game for me.

T-Rex.

Banned
Wow, that's incredible. I tried playing Majora's Mask and absolutely hated it, but I put that one down to the 3DS display being shit more than anything. This will be my first proper Zelda experience when I get around to buying a Switch. It looks amazing.

As a Wii U player the framerate issues are concerning (especially the ones on display in Easy Allies' review). Normally I don't mind occasional dips but it looks pretty bad. Hoping it might be better when I play.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Fuck you Nintendo. Fuck you.

Now I will be on constant torture of always wanting this but can't due to various financial reasons.

Fuuuuck youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.

Sigh.

*cries*

Myriadis

Great job on the OP.

by the way this (very light spoiler) writeup by Jason Schreier on how to skip an early game? puzzle in a shrine left me without words.

Early in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I discovered a puzzle shrine containing a small maze. Inside that maze was a little ball. The goal, I realized, was to maneuver the ball out of the maze and slide it into a nearby funnel. To do this, I’d have to rotate my Nintendo Switch controller, using motion controls to turn the maze around and let gravity move the ball through each corridor. One wrong move and the ball would fall out, forcing me to start again.

After struggling a few times to solve the puzzle thanks to Newton’s dumb laws, I noticed that every time the ball fell, a new one would drop from a canister several feet above the maze. Then I had a wild thought. Just before a new ball dropped, I turned my controller upside down, flipping the maze 180 degrees. There was nothing on the other side, so I now had a nice flat surface on which to roll the ball. I slowly tilted the maze’s newly exposed backside and dropped the ball right into the funnel, skipping the maze entirely. Boom. Puzzle solved.

I know that puzzle, and I had a similar but more complicated solution:
After the ball lands, I rotated the controller forwards and quickly back again so the ball get high enough to get over the wall, skipping most of the maze.
I like it that they allow you to do this.

phanphare

Banned

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

whew

Busaiku

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

UkUWdeL.gif

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

ADDENDUM – Editor’s Note

omg chills, help.

I can't wait

thatJohann

Ugh I don't care about the Switch. Doesn't make sense to get the switch just for this. Right! RIGHT?! I mean that's like $360 plus tax just for Zelda! Ughhhhh

*jumps back to Horizon Zero Dawn*

*keeps reading GAF Zelda review thread*

Dammit!

I just want to commend Dystify on all of his wonderful Zelda threads thus far. Keep up the great work, I love your Twitter and YouTube page as well.

TheFuzz

Woke up to a 98 MC score and my Switch being shipped out from Amazon.

Wow. Can't believe it. Potentially the greatest game of all time is coming out tomorrow.

zulux21

As a Wii U player the framerate issues are concerning (especially the ones on display in Easy Allies' review). Normally I don't mind occasional dips but it looks pretty bad. Hoping it might be better when I play.

the easy allies review was switch footage though.
I don't think they ever brought up the wiiu, that is what happens when you dock the switch. if you want to play it as smooth as possible you have to play it undocked in handheld mode on the switch.

-shadow-

Yup, going to pick up my Wii U version preorder tomorrow. Excitement levels rising.

It'll be funny if someone with Photoshop skills does a Zelda version of this:

Batman-Arkham-City_GOTY_US_PS3.jpg

I'm still looking for the Dark Knight Rises version of this. That one was amazing in showing how ridiculous this was.

Great job on the OP.

by the way this (very light spoiler) writeup by Jason Schreier on how to skip an early game? puzzle in a shrine left me without words.

Early in The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild, I discovered a puzzle shrine containing a small maze. Inside that maze was a little ball. The goal, I realized, was to maneuver the ball out of the maze and slide it into a nearby funnel. To do this, I’d have to rotate my Nintendo Switch controller, using motion controls to turn the maze around and let gravity move the ball through each corridor. One wrong move and the ball would fall out, forcing me to start again.

After struggling a few times to solve the puzzle thanks to Newton’s dumb laws, I noticed that every time the ball fell, a new one would drop from a canister several feet above the maze. Then I had a wild thought. Just before a new ball dropped, I turned my controller upside down, flipping the maze 180 degrees. There was nothing on the other side, so I now had a nice flat surface on which to roll the ball. I slowly tilted the maze’s newly exposed backside and dropped the ball right into the funnel, skipping the maze entirely. Boom. Puzzle solved.

This is the first time I've kicked myself for reading a spoiler (I read them all the time), and I hardly consider it one.

Things like that show that this is as special as the reviews are stating.

Love that so far this year I've been able to play a good survival horror Resident Evil and so far in the middle of the fantastic heel turn that's Horizon Zero Dawn. Now to have a Zelda like this about to drop...incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom