• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's "high" and then there's 98. A 98 may not seem much different from a 93, but that five point difference is something that only a handful of games in history have done. And it did it in the current review landscape, no less. Games don't get 98 anymore. They just don't.

Also, context matters. Read the actual reviews, not just the scores. Even by Zelda standards, this game is being called something special, a defining moment in video games history.

I'm hesitant to believe that this is a "defining moment." I'm sure this is going to be an excellent game, high quality even for Nintendo standards, and will likely be many people's GOTY. It's even possible that it may get the lifelong praise Ocarina of Time gets (which I disagree with but opinions, right?).

But I'm keeping my expectations in check because for one: the Zelda cycle. It didn't take long for people to shit on Skyward Sword. And then two: this is Nintendo's big return after the Wii U whimpered and died, and they're returning with one of their most cherished and beloved franchises that pretty much all reviewers will have insane amounts of nostalgia for. Review scores were probably always going to be high. Whether they're inflated due to the circumstances or this is a legitimate Game of the Forever contender, well, most of us we'll find out tomorrow!

aBarreras

C56KoyfWcAAs8Rr.jpg

Whew.

did metro really said that ? O.O

they are really hearsh on their reviews

How long is the game? sorry at work, cant check reviews.

Depends if you mean just completing the main quest or doing ALL that there is to do in this game while having fun. It also, obviously, depends on the pace at which you play.

Many reviewers are saying they've played the game for 100 hours and they still haven't completed everything there is to do in the game.

And from my experience, reviewers tend to play the game much faster than I do, since, you know... they actually have a deadline to write their review.

If you want to take in the experience at a slower pace, and do *everything* there is to do in the game... It seems like it's going to be a looooooong experience.

33 perfect scores on Metacritic, the lowest score is a 9, and a chunk of the 9's are on actual 10 point scales rather than 20 or 100 via decimal points. So basically nearly every review is either perfect or the score immediately below it. Goddamn.

CHC

Damn, this looks amazing!

Wasn't really excited initially but the GameXplain review is really fun and enthusiastic.

Sadly going to have to wait on this since I sold my Wii U and can't afford a Switch. If it is made to work passably on Cemu some time soon then I'll definitely pick it up, though.

koss424

I want to like this game but every time I watch gameplay footage, all I can think is "this looks dreadfully boring." Always always always fighting the red pig men, and the combat looks really dull (that bow looks awkward as hell to use). I don't know, I guess the game just isn't for me.

It does seem like a system seller based on these reviews though, which is something that Nintendo needs right now. Hopefully it will set a solid install base for the Switch going forward.

Do you think all of these reviewers just really love straffing and slashing red pig men?

kswiston

That was 10 years ago, I'm referring to 'The best mario game that Odyssey could be', in the modern climate. Maybe I'm wrong. I am a Zelda fanboy after all.

Galaxy is a good example of what leads to good reviews, though.
-Stunning core gameplay
-Total reinvention of many of the series principles
-Tons and tons of content, lots of value

I'm surprised that Super Mario 3D World isn't higher. I was playing through the game for the first time recently, and the amount of level diversity is crazy. I am not near the end game content yet. Was the platforming stuff not up to the challenge presented by some of the harder stars in Galaxy 1 and 2?

Lizardus

Boys, I am feeling same emotions when Leicester City won PL, when the Cubs won the World Series and when Patriots came back from a certain defeat.

Emotions rising up inside me....

:_:7

Are there Wii-U impressions in any of the 60 reviews? Metacritic has no reviews listed for it yet and i'm deciding whether to stand i line after work for a Seitch, or get Wii-u version if it's good. Really hard to find any hard facts on the differences

Its really bizarre because people in america cant buy a console to play it on - apart from a few who queue up for any available stock (given all preorders were gone ages ago)

You cant even buy a Wii U in stores, on ebay they are about $400 for a new sealed console

Very odd. So glad I kept my switch preorder.

I see way more than that for all open world content, and others saying 70+ for main quest

yeah my quote was from IGN which was to see the main elements of the game like all the shrines

I imagine if you take your time and explore can easily be 200+ hour game, and then there is the hard mode with the DLC

ryechu

I'm surprised that Super Mario 3D World isn't higher. I was playing through the game for the first time recently, and the amount of level diversity is crazy. I am not near the end game stuff, so was the platforming stuff not up to the challenge presented by some of the harder stars in Galaxy 1 and 2?

The game is overall not as challenging as the harder parts of the Galaxy games, outside of one level which might be the hardest 3d mario level. That was a bit disappointing, since I hoped that the difficulty curve would ramp up smoothly.

Ok I was gonna cancel my Switch order but now I want to see what all the fuss is about. Haven't played Zelda since Majora's mask when I was like, 8 years old.

ghostjoke

Banned
Reading the Giant Bomb review and then watching it put into action as they bumble into Hyrule Castle early brings back childhood memories of wonder at large worlds and wondering "what if". 30 years of waiting justified.

Can you turn off the minimap?

Also I will still never get why the internet turned on Skyward Sword so far. I own every Zelda outside of this (obviously) and Triforce Heroes (I'm not counting the Tingle and CDi games). The console games I largely played in release order. Skyward Sword is easily the best Zelda I've played so far.

parabolee

All this hype and I can't let go of the fact that I hate silent protagonists SO MUCH. Utterly takes me out of the game every time someone talks to my character.

I know it's nuts but it really deflates my excitement. I really care about a good story in my games and while I have loved some past Zelda games, they always fell way short of the games I hold dear because the stories are so simple and the mute protagonist thing really annoys me.

Hearing about the great voiced cut scenes in this just feeds into my annoyance that Link is silent. I even hate it when all the NPC's only talk in on screen text with my character just staring silently at them with no text himself. It's so lame and gamey. I hate it!

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Will this be another GTA V where The Last of US won all the GOTY awards even though GTAV scored higher?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom