• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Odyssey looks like a hot mess though. It will be an 80s kind of game.

Zelda wins GOTY everywhere if Switch is even a minor sales success. It won't be my GOTY since I'm not buying a Switch and probably won't even get a chance to play the game this year if it's as long as people are suggesting, but seeing how GAF votes every year, no doubt, lock it up, 100% GOTY for GAF.

Worth noting that Zelda looked like a hot mess for a while.

Zelda wins GOTY everywhere if Switch is even a minor sales success. It won't be my GOTY since I'm not buying a Switch and probably won't even get a chance to play the game this year if it's as long as people are suggesting, but seeing how GAF votes every year, no doubt, lock it up, 100% GOTY for GAF.

I hope you're trolling or being sarcastic.

Teuoxton

I just woke up and saw my copy shipped, then hopped on GAF to see a 98 Metacritic...
giphy.gif

So happy right now.

vareon

I'm amazed that easyallies is one of the not perfect reviews... it is literally all they talked about and it is the only thing domiani lives for. I'm wondering if he did that to make it not look like he's a fanboy haha.

Easy Allies met some very harsh frame rate problem (as shown in the video). The only score lower than 5 star is 4.5 star, I think. So that's that.

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think I have turned into a graphics whore lol, and I can't stand that sprint animation of Links. I like Zelda games but none I have ever played have ever, even been close to the critical praise they receive. I'm sure I'll play it at some point but I still have no interest at this point.

Okay good!! I feel human again :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Also I will still never get why the internet turned on Skyward Sword so far. I own every Zelda outside of this (obviously) and Triforce Heroes (I'm not counting the Tingle and CDi games). The console games I largely played in release order. Skyward Sword is easily the best Zelda I've played so far.

Full agreement. Having played and completed both Tingle games: They would not change your mind on that either ;). I think SS did a particularly splendid job on making the overworld rich with gameplay content of high quality.

LProtag

I'm sitting here reading these reviews at work and getting super excited. Amazon still hasn't shipped my copy though... so I keep checking that. Really hoping it gets here on time.

Noooooo......why Nintendo! Whenever I think I'm done with you, you do something to pull me back in.

Now I have a Switch twitch, that will not go away. DAMMMMMMMMN!

sfried

Once again naysayers are trickling in, posting to show how much they have no interest despite the acclaim, etc.

I could care less about the acclaim quite honestly, but if you never cared about Zelda then why bother posting in this thread? Seriously? It's almost as if you guys are looking for a reason to dislike a game before you have played it.

I don't take reviewers seriously as their playing habits and priorities tend to differ from mine, and I will resist the temptation to take them seriously now just because they are telling me what I was hoping to hear.

The real story here is that we're this far in and there still isn't a shocker of a contrarian lowball. I doubted that was possible anymore in the current media climate.

We'll know in a month or two where the serious, committed, and pickiest of players steer the conversation.

~13 hours to go...

I was expecting way more middling reviews, with a 93 overall meta. Basically standard Zelda level reviews.

A 98 is fucking bonkers.

I really need to get shit done today at work, but I can't stop reading this thread.

barybll

Banned
A lot of people assuming this only scored high because of the name while never having played it?

This forum is a weird, bitter place sometimes...

The reductio ad absurdum hipothesis is that zelda getting high scores has nothing to do with the brand name

Which is highly unlikely, considering that reviewers are far from being paragons of objectivity

Nothing to do with bitterness, its just logic
Not that there is anything wrong with that, I mean, brand name is built with quality

The pacing is really only an issue in the beginning, and it's leaps ahead of Twilight Princess. And I don't think the handholding is particularly notable next to even other highly regarded Nintendo games. Meanwhile the story, cast, and gameplay were all perfect, with some of my favorite dungeons and bosses of the series.

Honestly though, what really is the only thing that gets me is people putting TP above it. Because there's literally nothing that SS doesn't do better than it.

Completely agree, even though I still feel that SS was not on the level of OOT/MM/WW, it was still leaps and bounds better than TP for me. I consider Twilight Princess to be the black sheep of Zelda games when it comes to quality, despite the fact that it has gained some popularity among the Zelda community over the years. The only thing I really enjoyed about TP was the character of Midna and the concept of the Twilight Realm. But it had a bland overworld, a bland storyline, unoriginal gameplay by Zelda standards, and surprisingly uninteresting characters for a Zelda game (besides Midna). It was lacking in the visuals too.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I just looked at the pic with all the scores, I can't believe it. I mean I can, but still... WOW. My 10 days off start this evening, I can't wait to dive in tomorrow.

ghostjoke

Banned
That frame rate though...

Yeah. I'm hoping it's much improved by the time i get around to it. I know Dan said he never had issues when it was needed, but it stood out really badly at times.

My main takeaway that makes me exited is that most open world feel like nothing more than landscapes connecting various missions for me, while BotW looks to put exploration and experimentation first ala the first LoZ. I can even get on board with some tower climbing if it doesn't just dump a load of icons on the map and it's the player who chooses if something looks interesting to explore; maybe it's something, maybe it's nothing. The way the world is laid out, it looks completely navigable by landmarks and won't involve staring at a map 75% of the time.

Sony: "We're so proud of our excellently critically received game Horizon Zero Dawn. We put a lot of work into it and hopefully it will win GOTY based on it's high scores and originality"

Nintendo: "Hold my beer...."

Honestly once the hardware is in your hands it's hard not to be excited about it.

The ability to just pick up and go or play in any configuration you want is awesome

This is probably true for most people. Myself however I will never use it outside of the dock, and I am hearing that this game at least (not sure about others) runs worse when docked which makes absolutely no sense. I'm excited to get the game, and somewhat excited to get a Switch, but the main draw for it is completely irrelevant to me, and probably some others as well.

I have never witnessed something like this in the age of the internet. Think about it...did you?

0ec7efd13eede2fbf34c91b74d4fc380.jpg

Even if half of the reviewers were payd (ha!), the other half still gives the same perfect scores. WTF! So good. I won't be able to play this for a few months...Just knowing it's so well loved is heartwarming.

Could it be that 3 of my favourite games of all time (Bloodborne, Last Guardian and maybe this?) were able came out within 2 years? What's this sorcery.

True exploring of a large Zelda game has always been a dream. In fact, I played the older games as if they were doing exactly this, haha.

eizarus

Banned
That's impressive af. Kudos to Nintendo. I was expecting it to get 8-9/10 based on the footage I've seen.

I kinda feel bad for Sony.

They shouldn't have released Horizon so close to Zelda.
Lmao. Get your head outta that sand, boy!

Edit: Really considering buying a Switch now.

A lot of people assuming this only scored high because of the name while never having played it?

This forum is a weird, bitter place sometimes...

I think these people have a great sadness in their heart... and brain.

There is not even a logic behind that because BotW breaks with almost all Zelda rules, and in some reviews the reviewer are disappointed that BotW is not a more conventional Zelda. So perhaps BotW could have scored even higher being a new IP.

Ein Bear

Bloody hell. I knew it would review well, but in today's modern Internet age where there are about a thousand different reviews to take into account, I genuinely didn't think it was possible for a game to do this well on Metacritic anymore.

Ridiculously excited for tomorrow.

Drewfonse

Is it frowned on to sell stuff in threads like this? I'm getting a switch and Zelda sent to me, probably arriving next week. I bought them on eBay, but changed my mind. I paid $460, so that's what I'm selling them for. New.

No profit.

Please don't ban me if this is outside of protocol.

Hindl

I must have no pulse...

I seriously have 0 interest with this game. Even after watching many videos...

No game is for everyone. Don't sweat it

Is it frowned on to sell stuff in threads like this? I'm getting a switch and Zelda sent to me, probably arriving next week. I bought them on eBay, but changed my mind. I paid $460, so that's what I'm selling it for. New.

No profit.

Please don't ban me if this is outside of protocol.

Go to the buy/sell/trade thread

13ruce

Banned

A mess wut? Did you see the excitement of people. A mario 64 like game is a dream come true to many people.

Iksenpets

Banned
Honestly didn't think this sort of high score was possible these days. I figured Metacritic would sort of cap out at 93 or 94. Near unanimous 10s are crazy.

Sony: "We're so proud of our excellently critically received game Horizon Zero Dawn. We put a lot of work into it and hopefully it will win GOTY based on it's high scores and originality"

Nintendo: "Hold my beer...."

It did fucking great for a new IP though. Can't exactly knock it against the juggernaut that is Zelda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom