• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I can't afford a Switch right now and I bought a Wii U years ago in anticipation of this day. I feel very mixed about this game. The reviews are a dream come true, but not being able to play it in its best form on a Switch truly cuts and stings. Nonetheless, I am very happy that such a game exists and should solidify the Switch's success before it launches. Congratulations, Nintendo.

Baleoce

Have any reputable reviewers focused either in substantial part or totally on the Wii U version? as that is what's relevant to me right now.

Firemind

Also I will still never get why the internet turned on Skyward Sword so far. I own every Zelda outside of this (obviously) and Triforce Heroes (I'm not counting the Tingle and CDi games). The console games I largely played in release order. Skyward Sword is easily the best Zelda I've played so far.
All sorts of reasons.

Even the BotW reviews I read said it had bad pacing and too much handholding.

Hearing about the great voiced cut scenes in this just feeds into my annoyance that Link is silent. I even hate it when all the NPC's only talk in on screen text with my character just staring silently at them with no text himself. It's so lame and gamey. I hate it!

It's like reading a review of my life

ZOONAMI

Its really bizarre because people in america cant buy a console to play it on - apart from a few who queue up for any available stock (given all preorders were gone ages ago)

You cant even buy a Wii U in stores, on ebay they are about $400 for a new sealed console

Very odd. So glad I kept my switch preorder.

You can buy a refurb Wii U from Nintendo for $200.

Honestly I'm considering it despite selling my Wii U over a year ago.

iFirez

Also I will still never get why the internet turned on Skyward Sword so far. I own every Zelda outside of this (obviously) and Triforce Heroes (I'm not counting the Tingle and CDi games). The console games I largely played in release order. Skyward Sword is easily the best Zelda I've played so far.

It's a good game and I enjoyed the controls. However, its story is a little meandering and the intro is worse than Twilight Princess'. It holds your hand way too much and keeps reminding you of things. BoTW drops you in the world and expects you to learn and doesn't hold your hand, its much more reminiscent of the speed you get into gameplay in a Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time for example... especially how Zelda 1 just drops you in with nothing.

Shizza

Wow, I mean I was expecting a 90, but a 97/98 is amazing. Even beyond just the numbers, the written reviews are just as amazing. Tomorrow can't come soon enough. This weekend is going to be great!

HOLY SHIT! I didn't think it would come close to scores like these, reviews are more harsh these days. That is absolutey nuts. This game must be incredible.

Do I have to rethink buying a Switch? 🤔

Yeah, this is kind of incredible.

It's mind blowing March just started and there is already a tidal wave of excellent games on the market.

And we still have the majority of the year left and tons of releases to go.

2017 very well may go down as the best software year this console generation. It's amazing

Have any reputable reviewers focused either in substantial part or totally on the Wii U version? as that is what's relevant to me right now.

IGN said they didnt get a wii u version from nintendo, and they will update later

most other places likely have the same issue

I'm with you on that. I love SS. The incessant Fi wasn't enough to detract from an amazing experience.

mhayes86

I love this image! Is there a source for it without all of the accolades? I'd like to use it as a wallpaper.

C56KoyfWcAAs8Rr.jpg

Safros

I didn't have any interest in this but since I'm getting a Switch anyway and the game is reviewing really well, I figure I should give it a shot. Hopefully I can find copies without a preorder.

Oh, are there any volume options? I like to play games like these with the voices turned off.

Mael

I never cared about reviews and previews and I still don't.
I really liked the previews with how little they showed and how there's basically still a world's worth of content to find even after that.
It's unbelievable that the critical consensus is that high for something Nintendo made.
Which proves that I was actually wrong and that Nintendo is actually able to make something that even reviewers realize is special.
Hopefully it's not another GTA situation where the game is basically worth shit for me.

Will this be another GTA V where The Last of US won all the GOTY awards even though GTAV scored higher?
Personally, GTAV still gets play time to this day (soon maybe not as much :p) da true GOTY 2013.

TLOU I sold off as soon as I beat it (I don't ever want to trudge through another clicker maze ever again in my life.)

So... I sincerely hope not.

CoolNumber9

I must have no pulse...

I seriously have 0 interest with this game. Even after watching many videos...

Yeah I'm in the same boat. I think I have turned into a graphics whore lol, and I can't stand that sprint animation of Links. I like Zelda games but none I have ever played have ever, even been close to the critical praise they receive. I'm sure I'll play it at some point but I still have no interest at this point.

Daft_Cat

God-tier reception. Congrats Nintendo. Can't wait to run around my city looking for a Switch tomorrow.

It's not my type of game but...

I get that you're attempting to be amicable now, but if Breath of the Wild isn't really your sort of thing, then why stop by just to beat on the old frame rate drum? It seems to me like you were trying to stir the pot and dampen the mood, which, again, considering this isn't your type of game, is kind of a bummer.

In any case, minor performance issues obviously aren't going to hold back a great game from a great reception. Especially if said game is pushing boundaries in terms of design philosophy and hardware restraints. From Mass Effect to The Witcher 3 - this has always been the case.

All sorts of reasons.

Even the BotW reviews I read said it had bad pacing and too much handholding.
The pacing is really only an issue in the beginning, and it's leaps ahead of Twilight Princess. And I don't think the handholding is particularly notable next to even other highly regarded Nintendo games. Meanwhile the story, cast, and gameplay were all perfect, with some of my favorite dungeons and bosses of the series.

Honestly though, what really is the only thing that gets me is people putting TP above it. Because there's literally nothing that SS doesn't do better than it.

LotusHD

Banned
Wonder how this would have scored without Zelda in the title.

Before I begin the review, I must make a note. It is a well-known bias that all new The Legend of Zelda games are considered the best to have ever existed in the series. Only years ago, The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword was deemed the most ingenious, creative, and best Zelda title to date. Today, it is often derided as one of the worst games in the series, especially when compared to classics like Link’s Awakening and The Legend of Zelda: Windwaker.

I mention The Legend of Zelda bias not to undercut the high scores likely coming from every outlet under the sun, but to let you all know I’m aware of the principle. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is the exception to the rule. If replaced with a different main character and all Zelda elements in its entirety, the game would be rivaling others as the best new IP this generation.

http://www.dualshockers.com/2017/03/02/legend-zelda-breath-wild-review/

Wonder how this would have scored without Zelda in the title.

Not to stir a controversy. But I am pretty sure it would have been 8 or 9.. which is a great score BTW..

But we have to accept that everyone has the nostalgic glasses with this game.. (Nothing wrong with that either)

SomTervo

Never been more excited about a launch title.

Also never been less excited about a hardware launch.

Guess there is a balance in there somewhere.

Honestly once the hardware is in your hands it's hard not to be excited about it.

The ability to just pick up and go or play in any configuration you want is awesome

Chris R

The two highest scoring Mario games are only 1 point lower than BotW.

Odyssey looks like a hot mess though. It will be an 80s kind of game.

Zelda wins GOTY everywhere if Switch is even a minor sales success. It won't be my GOTY since I'm not buying a Switch and probably won't even get a chance to play the game this year if it's as long as people are suggesting, but seeing how GAF votes every year, no doubt, lock it up, 100% GOTY for GAF.

I'm amazed that easyallies is one of the not perfect reviews... it is literally all they talked about and it is the only thing domiani lives for. I'm wondering if he did that to make it not look like he's a fanboy haha.

2016 Gaf: Metacritic means nothing
2017 gaf: Metacritic is the only thing that matters
Haha oh god.

Oy I already am annoyed of this year, it is going to be constant, "but I still think botw is better than this game".

Do you think all of these reviewers just really love straffing and slashing red pig men?

Well since so many of them are giving the game a perfect score (which implies they liked everything about the game), they must. Obviously there are other things to do, but if a fundamental part like fighting basic enemies and combat in general looks unappealing to me, that's a good indicator that I won't share their opinion.

I should reiterate that I'm not saying Breath of the Wild is a bad game. The reviewers are saying it's great, and I'm happy about that. Just not something that I want to play.

LotusHD

Banned
Well since so many of them are giving the game a perfect score (which implies they liked everything about the game), they must. Obviously there are other things to do, but if a fundamental part, like fighting basic enemies and combat in general, looks unappealing to me, that's a good indicator that I won't share their opinion.

I should reiterate that I'm not saying Breath of the Wild is a bad game. The reviewers are saying it's great, and I'm happy about that. Just not something that I want to play.

There's other monsters you know...

Odyssey looks like a hot mess though. It will be an 80s kind of game.

Zelda wins GOTY everywhere if Switch is even a minor sales success. It won't be my GOTY since I'm not buying a Switch and probably won't even get a chance to play the game this year if it's as long as people are suggesting, but seeing how GAF votes every year, no doubt, lock it up, 100% GOTY for GAF.

Odyssey looks amazing though?

A lot of people assuming this only scored high because of the name while never having played it?

This forum is a weird, bitter place sometimes...

Firemind

The pacing is really only an issue in the beginning, and it's leaps ahead of Twilight Princess. And I don't think the handholding is particularly notable next to even other highly regarded Nintendo games. Meanwhile the story, cast, and gameplay were all perfect, with some of my favorite dungeons and bosses of the series.

Honestly though, what really is the only thing that gets me is people putting TP above it. Because there's literally nothing that SS doesn't do better than it.
I liked SS more than TP too, but there's no denying it has pacing issues. Beating the same boss three times is just one example. I didn't like the several stealth segments either. Hated it in WW's Forsaken Fortress too. At least MM had a cheat mode for its stealth segment and OoT wasn't all that bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom