• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaaz

The Easy Allies review said the framerate issues, "sometimes unplayable", still happened when it was docked, correct? That is a bit worrying.

I could see if was 'undocked', but docked I was hoping it was smooth.

There's a day 1 patch that supposedly fixes the frame rate.

The Easy Allies review said the framerate issues, "sometimes unplayable", still happened when it was docked, correct? That is a bit worrying.

This has been discussed quite a bit, it's because handheld mode doesn't need as much power, it can handle the stress better. Hopefully the patch addresses the situation.

ckaneo

Docked runs at 900p, makes sense the framerate would suffer for it

Osahi

It is actually smoother undocked. Probably because it plays at a lower res and I don't believe the dock offers extra power.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Man, this thread has bad timing cause I should be studying for an astronomy exam in an hour. D:

kAmui-

Any idea if this game is good for short bursts of gaming.

One of the main appeals of Switch is I can pick up a game anytime and put it away quickly. However some games just don't work well for this such as Uncharted or any story driven games or cinematic games. Can I just pick this game up and do a quick side mission or quick mini dungeon, or do I need alot of time I need to invest to get into it more.

Dan Ryckert mentioned in his review that the shrines are great for small ~20-minute sessions.

Antagon

It reportedly runs better undocked. Seems more like an optimization issue, where the docked version has some graphics improvements that are a bit too much.

Kadin

Any idea of the story is? Read a lot of reviews and it's not even mentioned o_O
Pretty sure discussing that would be too spoilery and I know I wouldn't want to read about it. That needs to be discovered by the player imo.

I'm not really surprised. Super hyped about getting the game! If there's as many gameplay possibilities as critics say there are, I'll be out of control! Honestly, for the longest time, I've been looking for a game with freedom and so many gameplay possibilities. It might just even become my favorite game of all time depending on the characters and story in the game. HYPE!

Docked runs at 900p, makes sense the framerate would suffer for it
No it doesn't really lol. Or rather, that shouldn't be an automatic assumption. The Switch downclocks in portable mode. In theory performance should generally be nearly identical between modes, and that is in fact the intent.

Hobbun

It reportedly runs better undocked. Seems more like an optimization issue, where the docked version has some graphics improvements that are a bit too much.

Well, hopefully the day 1 patch will resolve it. Because my Switch will be docked probably 95% of the time.

Skyzard

Banned
I hate that I have to be at work until 7pm EST. I want to watch some video reviews!

I want to watch the GB video with Dan but I feel like I don't want anything more spoiled. I'm going to be playing through it and it's fun discovering what it has for yourself. Maybe once I've completed it.

I like watching GB videos of games I'm never going to play the most I think lol.

Kindekuma

Banned
Übermatik;231354176 said:
Guys I fucked up. This is going to take some figuring out. I'm really, really sorry... :|

No worries! If you need any help formatting or fixing stuff lemme know, I'm glad to help in any way if possible.

Griss

The reviews parallel Ocarina of Time, and I hope something else parallels Ocarina of Time:

OoT was so well-loved that two years later they released Majora's Mask on the same engine. It was a quirkier, weirder game but still very much the same 'thing' as OoT. Nintendo absolutely needs to reuse this spectcular BotW game design for a quick follow-up. I imagine it'd take three years rather than two, but considering the amount of work they put into all this (and I'd argue that most of the difficult work is in building the systems, NOT the content) they shouldn't let it go to waste by starting new with some new paradigm.

Basically, I'm already desperate for more Zelda lol.

Imagine if this game was wasted on Wii U.

The darkest timeline.

Anyway, the reason it's so good is because it's a launch game. Both because of all the delays that entailed, and because they quite clearly threw as much money as humanly possible at this in the understanding that the fate of their next console largely rested on it.

big_erk

I still feel like the Switch version is the definitive experience and that the game will sell the console well. Despite there being 13 some off million Wii Us out there, I suspect BOTW to still sell more copies on Switch.

I have a Wii U and never once considered playing this on it. While some downplay the portability of the Switch it is very important to me. My gaming time is limited. Being able to take the Switch with me means my lunch breaks have just gotten a lot more productive.

I nutted at 6am but zelda BOTW still sucking

WTF man? I laughed out loud, my co-workers already think I'm crazy.

*Opens gameXplain review*

"See that tower in the distance? You can go there!"

*Closes gameXplain review*

/s
1427995704118.png

He must be blushing so hard right now

VanWinkle

I want to watch the GB video with Dan but I feel like I don't want anything more spoiled. I'm going to be playing through it and it's fun discovering what it has for yourself. Maybe once I've completed it.

I like watching GB videos of games I'm never going to play the most I think lol.

That's true, but no video review could possible show even half of what the world has to offer, and I doubt I'll even explore the whole thing during my playtime.

ckaneo

No it doesn't really lol. Or rather, that shouldn't be an automatic assumption. The Switch downclocks in portable mode. In theory performance should generally be nearly identical between modes, and that is in fact the intent.
That's just from rumors I'm pretty sure. I think they made people expect things never stated by nintendo. We all know how that goes. When Nintendo told us there was no power in the dock it should have been obvious the handheld mode would run better in general

I'm pretty sure at the moment Nintendo allows you to "upclock" the handheld mode to docked leveled though.

The reviews parallel Ocarina of Time, and I hope something else parallels Ocarina of Time:

OoT was so well-loved that two years later they released Majora's Mask on the same engine. It was a quirkier, weirder game but still very much the same 'thing' as OoT. Nintendo absolutely needs to reuse this spectcular BotW game design for a quick follow-up. I imagine it'd take three years rather than two, but considering the amount of work they put into all this (and I'd argue that most of the difficult work is in building the systems, NOT the content) they shouldn't let it go to waste by starting new with some new paradigm.

That's what the DLC is for, I guess.

I was reading it is a 50 hour rpg. How's that possible? o.o

Some people like to rape games. Not sure why. I still remember the proud posts of people telling they "beat" Zelda Twilight Princess in 15 hours or so. And i just kept on thinking how idiotic it was to be proud of something as silly as that. Don't play Zelda if you want to cum on your first thrust.

If you're just a Speed-run-gamer though, sure. Whatever rocks your boat.

Mega

Banned
Besides ALBW I feel the Zelda series has sort of missed the mark with the last two major entries (TP and SS) and been less that great. I'm excited the hype surrounding this game was real and it's getting excellent-to-perfect reviews. I didn't wanna touch the Wii U version so I can't wait to finally get started on the superior Switch version tomorrow.

dyergram

I watched the gb video it's a lot of just messing arround in the world I shut it off at the end when dan said there would be spoilers. I want this game so fucking badly.

Hristi

Its already 3am here and I can't sleep from watching lots of review videos. This game looks amazing. Its like a PG version of Wild Hunt + Zelda.

Griss

That's what the DLC is for, I guess.

Eh, DLC would be set in the same world... it's not the same thing.

Also, the DLC they've announced so far sounds tremendously underwhelming, a literal drop in the bucket compared to the 100 hours of content already in the game.

Althought I feel confident I know what hard mode will entail now, lol.

Servbot24

Banned
According to the gaf poll, a large number of gaffers will be getting the Wii U version, including me.

SO BOOOOOYA

It would absolutely be a shame if this game were only available to the tiny pool of people who own a Wii U. More people that can play it, the better.

Skyzard

Banned
That's true, but no video review could possible show even half of what the world has to offer, and I doubt I'll even explore the whole thing during my playtime.

I get that - but still...I was enjoying the discovery a lot after playing the first hour. Every little small thing and how things interact, and the animations. There's a lot of neat stuff and I wouldn't want to see it on video for the first time - it becomes less of wow! and more like yeah I remember that. If you know what I mean. Usually I don't care but after playing a bit of this, I think I'll have an even better time with it seeing it all for myself. Before I was basically watching every trailer etc. Now I don't want to see anything more...

I watched the gb video it's a lot of just messing arround in the world I shut it off at the end when dan said there would be spoilers. I want this game so fucking badly.

I'm really tempted as I love GB videos...but even the messing around is a whole lot of fun to discover for me...

It's strange, usually I'm not this averse to spoilers...now it's like I don't want to see ANYTHING lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom