• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I keep forgetting that I can play this in handheld mode on my bed. An actual proper open world game of this size and quality in my hands!

GTA on PSP already felt pretty fascinating, but a large open world like BOTW on a portable system has always been my holy grail. It's finally here.

I want GTA 4, 5 and Elder Scrolls Oblivion on Switch. Would be the best.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
ryan.jpg

Makes me laugh every single time I see it. The single greatest image there is on the internet.

Hot take but this is going to be the greatest speed running game of all time

Eh I think it's too soon to say for sure. It'd probably also depend on how long different categories take. Part of what makes the best speed running games great is having multiple unique categories that offer their own twists while not taking obscenely long to beat. I also have to wonder how it'll fare in terms of run consistency compared to other games.

KAL2006

Banned
Any idea if this game is good for short bursts of gaming.

One of the main appeals of Switch is I can pick up a game anytime and put it away quickly. However some games just don't work well for this such as Uncharted or any story driven games or cinematic games. Can I just pick this game up and do a quick side mission or quick mini dungeon, or do I need alot of time I need to invest to get into it more.

kswiston

How many days post launch before we get a GAF thread directly or indirectly calling out Breath of the Wild for being overrated?

-MB-

I'm really happy about the critical reception Zelda got. I was expecting high scores, but not THAT high!

Such a paradigm shift for the franchise, I can only wonder were they'll go next with it.

To boldly go where no Link has gone before, of course.

One of the main appeals of Switch is I can pick up a game anytime and put it away quickly. However some games just don't work well for this such as Uncharted or any story driven games or cinematic games. Can I just pick this game up and do a quick side mission or quick mini dungeon, or do I need alot of time I need to invest to get into it more.

I believe you can save at any time.
Sounds good for short bursts to me.

Firemind

There's sleep mode and you can put small icons on the map to help remember things you encounter.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Being "big" doesn't make a game good - I dislike people praising a game for being "so big" and having "so much to do" because my first question is always "But is what you're doing fun and worthwhile?"

But with all that being said... I don't think people truly understand just how fucking big this game is.

There are 10+ big mountains to explore. Over a dozen distinct lakes all with their own personality. Several distinct, unique islands. Tons of different towns. It feels borderline impossible. It's the first time the real Hyrule matches the Hyrule of our imaginations.

This is Zelda Skyrim with a far braver, and more surprising emphasis on physics and gameplay systems. Nintendo fully committed to the chemistry and physics of this game world. There's one small puzzle where you're tasked with
completing an electrical circuit.
. And you're supposed to solve it by dragging over these metal crates. But you can also solve it by grabbing a metal sword from your inventory and tossing it onto the ground. And it works.

The confidence to let these game systems play off of one another in such a genuinely massive and varied world is... staggering.

depends on the category? Any%? probably, but 100% (or what wil be defined as 100%) no way

Honestly I'm not sure I forsee a real 100% category given how fucking huge the game is (I'm not convinced a true 100% would be achievable in one sitting by even the best speedrunners) More likely we'll get stuff like all dungeons, maybe all dungeons and x number of shrines, and stuff like that

Intel_89

Most of the reviews praise how most of the time the pacing of the game is dictated by the player so it should be good for short sessions.

d00d3n

WTF is happening? I go to work, and when I come back everyone has graded Zelda 10/10. The consensus is overwhelming and a bit surprising. Looking forward to playing the game tomorrow (if the delivery service doesn't fail me).

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Being "big" doesn't make a game good - I dislike people praising a game for being "so big" and having "so much to do" because my first question is always "But is what you're doing fun and worthwhile?"

But with all that being said... I don't think people truly understand just how fucking big this game is.

There are 10+ big mountains to explore. Over a dozen distinct lakes all with their own personality. Several distinct, unique islands. It feels borderline impossible.

This is Zelda Skyrim with a far braver, and more surprising emphasis on physics and gameplay systems. Nintendo fully committed to the chemistry and physics of this game world. There's one small puzzle where you're tasked with
completing an electrical circuit.
. And you're supposed to solve it by dragging over these metal crates. But you can also solve it by grabbing a metal sword from your inventory and tossing it onto the ground.

The confidence to let these game systems play off of one another in such a genuinely massive and varied world is... staggering.

So you've played it, and agree it's big but has plenty to do but are complaining at other people for saying it's big?

Honestly I'm not sure I forsee a real 100% category given how fucking huge the game is (I'm not convinced a true 100% would be achievable in one sitting by even the best speedrunners) More likely we'll get stuff like all dungeons, maybe all dungeons and x number of shrines, and stuff like that

all dungeons and all shrines seems like a possible category.
It will probably be like a 10 hour + run though.

Firemind

There's a 500% category of OoT lol

Hobbun

The Easy Allies review said the framerate issues, "sometimes unplayable", still happened when it was docked, correct? That is a bit worrying.

I could see if was 'undocked', but docked I was hoping it was smooth.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Any idea of how the story is? Read a lot of reviews and it's not even mentioned o_O

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom