• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm really happy about the critical reception Zelda got. I was expecting high scores, but not THAT high!

Such a paradigm shift for the franchise, I can only wonder were they'll go next with it.

noshten

Folks, I don't know how Nintendo is going to recover from this.

In the short term, it looks as though we're in for a great game. In the long term, no matter how Nintendo's developers innovate from here, we are in for another twenty years of infighting over whether anything in the series will ever live up to the consensual acclaim and relevance of the One True 3D Zelda, Breath of the Wild. Time may pass and the game may be bettered, but the cycle will begin anew.

aliens-in-hyrule_o_401029.jpg

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Can't help but think about whether or not it would've been a better idea (from Nintendo's business perspective) to make this a Switch exclusive. Tied for the second most critically acclaimed game of all time must be a nice boost to console sales.

score01

Anyone who says Metacritic scores don't matter is a liar. A game with a 98 Metacritic is a system seller. As someone who weren't to fond on the switch I've changed my mind.

You'd be doing yourself a disservice as a gamer not to play this.

Agreed, switch is the only place to play arguably the best gaming experience in a long long while. Gonna be worth it even if you don't play anything else on the thing imho.

Felensis

Banned
Hooooooooly shit! Was there ever a game that got nearly from all media out there the highest rating?! Astounding! Can't wait to finally play it tomorrow!!

I'm so conflicted. Seeing these reviews makes me just want to pick up or rent the Wii U version so I don't have to wait like a year until I get a Switch. But I'd really rather play it on the Switch. Damn.

KevinG

Can't help but think about whether or not it would've been a better idea (from Nintendo's business perspective) to make this a Switch exclusive. Tied for the second most critically acclaimed game of all time must be a nice boost to console sales.

I still feel like the Switch version is the definitive experience and that the game will sell the console well. Despite there being 13 some off million Wii Us out there, I suspect BOTW to still sell more copies on Switch.

When the heck will Nintendo let us Wii U owners preload this gem! I've been checking the e-shop page for it since yesterday and still nothing!!!

muteant

That moment when you remember that the epic new 3D Zelda game getting bukkake'd with unprecedented praise ... can be played on the go. Holy schnitzel.

If you told me that this game, that took nearly 6 years of patient waiting, was not only going to meet expectations but somehow exceed them, I would have bitch slapped you to the moon. Still remains to be seen if this consensus will stand months later, but as of right now, the joy of the moment is unparalleled.

Crayolan

Folks, I don't know how Nintendo is going to recover from this.

In the short term, it looks as though we're in for a great game. In the long term, no matter how Nintendo's developers innovate from here, we are in for another twenty years of infighting over whether anything in the series will ever live up to the consensual acclaim and relevance of the One True 3D Zelda, Breath of the Wild. Time may pass and the game may be bettered, but the cycle will begin anew.

Just watch the next Zelda game be the MM to Breath of the Wild's OoT. If they can't top BotW by being bigger and better they'll do it by going in a direction nobody would expect.

Ros8105

Holy shit. My mom came into my room to bring me a plate of chicken nuggets and I literally screamed at her and hit the plate of chicken nuggets out of her hand. She started yelling and swearing at me and I slammed the door on her. I'm so distressed right now I don't know what to do. I didn't mean to do that to my mom but I'm literally in shock from the reviews tonight. I feel like I'm going to explode. Why the fucking fuck is Horizon losing? This can't be happening. I'm having a fucking breakdown. I don't want to believe the world is so corrupt. I want a future to believe in. I want Sony to be leading and fix this broken industry. I cannot fucking deal with this right now. It wasn't supposed to be like this, I thought Horizon was reviewing well on Metacritic???? This is so fucked.
loool, 98/100 meme.

magnetic

I keep forgetting that I can play this in handheld mode on my bed. An actual proper open world game of this size and quality in my hands!

GTA on PSP already felt pretty fascinating, but a large open world like BOTW on a portable system has always been my holy grail. It's finally here.

Holy sh*t at those reviews! I was going to buy a Switch eventually, but I think I'll change eventually to asap. It looks like Nintendo really, really created their best game since Ocarina of Time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom