• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Why not have them explore the Leviathans even more? I think they were such a mysterious addition to Mass Effect 3 and it wasn't that fleshed out.

I liked the Leviathans too and wish they had been explored more, but it's a staple of good writing in sequels/successors that are starting on fairly new ground to avoid repeating tropes and clichés of its predecessors. One of the worst mistakes writers can make is introducing a new big bad that somehow remained dormant/unknown/mysterious in the previous entries, and now all of a sudden is relevant and replicates (or worse, exceeds) the previous threat. Unfortunately the Leviathans fit this criteria; they're very similar to Reapers and after three games focusing on that threat the fourth should do whatever necessary to establish something new and original.

SliChillax

Yeah you guys are right. I have faith that they will come up with something exciting with the story it's just that they can never top the Reapers as a threat. We'll see at E3 I guess, I hope.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
it's just that they can never top the Reapers as a threat.

Exactly, which is where good writers would find conflicts that are interesting and sufficient yet different from the original. It's why a lot of people were championing a kinda...post-war depression state for the series, as it would make sense post-trilogy, drive a political/social/cultural narrative with wide implications, and differ significantly from the Reapers. With the "big bad" gone the new threat is simply survival.

aravuus

A highly political plot with lots of back stabbing and intrigue and mystery and whatever would be fucking awesome

e: not as awesome as the reapers tho, but the "unknown threat from the edge of the universe" is one of my favorite plots ever anyway so

SliChillax

A highly political plot with lots of back stabbing and intrigue and mystery and whatever would be fucking awesome

e: not as awesome as the reapers tho, but the "unknown threat from the edge of the universe" is one of my favorite plots ever anyway so
But a more powerful threat than the Reapers would be too cliché. I agree that the political survival aspect doesn't sound as cool but something like Interstellar would work well, to find a new galaxy etc.

EatChildren

That's what it's all about; you can't topple "unfathomably old civilisation/species harvesting god machines" as an antagonist without cheaply writing them off because some other big bad came along. So you find an alternative. Ideally (in my opinion) Mass Effect 4 would be set in the Milky Way in a post-trilogy environment wherein a canon is established, a mixup of various possible playstates that in theory nobody could actually have and thus starts everyone on familiar but otherwise new footing (our Shepard trilogy is over and it's irrelevant whether or not the next game continues that). In this post war state civilisations are rebuilding and picking up the pieces from literally the worst conflict imaginable, and from that would be born new conflicts and political tension as all desperately cling to whatever resources they can while also wary of working with others. How does Thesia rebuild from nothing? What of the Krogans, now ready to expand aggressively? What of the Quarian and Geth merger? Does the Citadel council exist, and who is representing? How is Citadel space trading and exploration moderated with the political and policing infrastructure fragmented? How does the galaxy, and Mass Effect universe, evolve and change with this new galactic state?

aravuus

But a more powerful threat than the Reapers would be too cliché

I agree, that's what I'm saying. It won't be topped so the next best thing, in my opinion, would be a story with political intrigue and stuff like that. Kind of like Game of Thrones but in space, I suppose.

SliChillax

That's what it's all about; you can't topple "unfathomably old civilisation/species harvesting god machines" as an antagonist without cheaply writing them off because some other big bad came along. So you find an alternative. Ideally (in my opinion) Mass Effect 4 would be set in the Milky Way in a post-trilogy environment wherein a canon is established, a mixup of various possible playstates that in theory nobody could actually have and thus starts everyone on familiar but otherwise new footing (our Shepard trilogy is over and it's irrelevant whether or not the next game continues that). In this post war state civilisations are rebuilding and picking up the pieces from literally the worst conflict imaginable, and from that would be born new conflicts and political tension as all desperately cling to whatever resources they can while also wary of working with others. How does Thesia rebuild from nothing? What of the Krogans, now ready to expand aggressively? What of the Quarian and Geth merger? Does the Citadel council exist, and who is representing? How is Citadel space trading and exploration moderated with the political and policing infrastructure fragmented? How does the galaxy, and Mass Effect universe, evolve and change with this new galactic state?

Let's hope they take this approach then, I have some hopes but I'm also worried because the way they executed ME3's ending. Either way I can't wait for the reveal.

Interesting stuff that makes me wonder if they keep the citadel itself near Earth and humans are more of a bigger deal in the galaxy because of it. Thus leading to multiple races to play with. Since human arent the newcomers anymore.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
We need some interesting tweet(s) to hype us a little. And not the usual "Wow, this game is so awesome you guys, but I can't show anything!"

Mass Effect Worst Group Photo

vvhs0ajsqdm5l5gtvzky.jpg

okay lol.

I actually intend to do a "worst possible" playthrough. Which would basically mean getting to that photo, and then having a low enough EMS that: 1) Cortez crashes and dies, 2) Liara and James get eviscerated by Harbinger in the final run, 3) EDI and Shepard die in the destroy ending, 4) Joker dies when the Normandy crashes.

I think Traynor lives no matter what (as long as you don't choose the refusal ending, obviously).

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Can Joker really die though? I never got a low enough EMS to get to something like that. I saw videos where you see the door starting to open, but it cuts before you see anyone get out, if i remember right. Is that it?

Can Joker really die though? I never got a low enough EMS to get to something like that. I saw videos where you see the door starting to open, but it cuts before you see anyone get out, if i remember right. Is that it?
You don't actually see him die. I think it's heavily implied in that scene, though. Especially because the last time you see him, his control panel is sparking and looks like it's about to catch on fire or something.

aravuus

I actually intend to do a "worst possible" playthrough. Which would basically mean getting to that photo, and then having a low enough EMS that: 1) Cortez crashes and dies, 2) Liara and James get eviscerated by Harbinger in the final run, 3) EDI and Shepard die in the destroy ending, 4) Joker dies when the Normandy crashes.

I think Traynor lives no matter what (as long as you don't choose the refusal ending, obviously).

Good luck with that. I've tried to do a bad/evil/worst ending run a couple of times now and I just can't lol

diaspora

Just as an FYI to those that might want to pick up the trilogy on PC, it's 30% off on Origin right now. $21 making it $7 per game.

Still disappointed that the trilogy compilation doesn't include most of the DLC, I'd like to get it on PC, but even with a sale it's not a good deal if you want all of the DLC.

aravuus

Just as an FYI to those that might want to pick up the trilogy on PC, it's 30% off on Origin right now. $21 making it $7 per game.

Fuck and I don't have any extra money atm

Still disappointed that the trilogy compilation doesn't include most of the DLC, I'd like to get it on PC, but even with a sale it's not a good deal if you want all of the DLC.

oh nvm then, not having all the dlc is stupid

and it's 35 euros in the finnish origin anyway which is 40 bucks. wtf.

so on the topic of a possible remastered trilogy.

does anyone think it could be running on a newer engine, such as frostbite 3?
If we get one, I don't think it'll be ported to a different engine. What would be the point anyway, if it's going to play exactly the same? I expect any remaster would basically just have prettier assets and textures, all the DLC, and maybe better draw distances--and honestly, that's all I really want.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
so on the topic of a possible remastered trilogy.

does anyone think it could be running on a newer engine, such as frostbite 3?

Even if they did re-release the trilogy it's not going to look light years better than what we already have. I'd rather them keep the costs down. This will certainly not get Halo MCC (disregarding broken multiplayer) or Metro Redux levels of treatment. It simply doesn't need it. The only change I would like is to remove some of the tedious trophy/achievement requirements removed from the first game.

I won't pretend to know, but I would imagine it would be far cheaper to just use the current engine. I just can't see the benefit of porting it over to a newer engine. It just seems like an extra cost that wouldn't get much benefit. Somebody posted that ME3 had already been ported to Frostbite, but Shinobi said that had not been the case.

Giving us 1080p/60fps with all DLC is more than enough for me and it's the most logical expectation of what we would actually get.

Something I am 100% fine with.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If we get one, I don't think it'll be ported to a different engine. What would be the point anyway, if it's going to play exactly the same? I expect any remaster would basically just have prettier assets and textures, all the DLC, and maybe better draw distances--and honestly, that's all I really want.

We are in 100% agreement. There seems to be little to no benefit to doing so.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Since the subject of remastering what are some changes in a remastered trilogy you would like to see? Yes, this has been done to death, but I am always fascinated by the responses.
Label your responses in categories of "likely" "maybe" "not likely" "dreaming"

For me "likely"
1. All DLC - this is the 100% must and very likely. Failure to include all the DLC (minus Pinnacle Station) makes this a not buy for me.
2. 1080p/60fps - almost as necessary as 1, but 1080p/30fps is fine too.

"maybe"
3. Higher res textures.
4. making it such that no import is required between games.
5. A checklist that allows you to start each game with different choices.

"not likely"
6. tweaking (but not completely redoing) the inventory for ME1
7. Improving the Mako controls
8. Incorporate the DLC as though its part of the main game.

"dreaming"
9. Allow a happy ending with blue babies and save the geth and quarians
10. Redo the combat and inventory for ME1 and ME2 to match ME3.
11. Restore Javik as the catalyst

Since the subject of remastering what are some changes in a remastered trilogy you would like to see? Yes, this has been done to death, but I am always fascinated by the responses.
Label your responses in categories of "likely" "maybe" "not likely" "dreaming"

For me "likely"
1. All DLC - this is the 100% must and very likely. Failure to include all the DLC (minus Pinnacle Station) makes this a not buy for me.
2. 1080p/60fps - almost as necessary as 1, but 1080p/30fps is fine too.

"maybe"
3. Higher res textures.
4. making it such that no import is required between games.

5. A checklist that allows you to start each game with different choices.

"not likely"
6. tweaking (but not completely redoing) the inventory for ME1
7. Improving the Mako controls

"dreaming"
9. Allow a happy ending with blue babies and save the geth and quarians
10. Redo the combat and inventory for ME1 and ME2 to match ME3.
11. Restore Javik as the catalyst
Bolded the ones I really want. These are almost necessary.

Not making any predictions, though.

Patryn

Right close to the top for me, but clearly not likely:

1.) Unify the face creation across all three games. Ideally, this would be the ME2 faces (but with all the ME3 hairstyles), because I think they ended up looking the best.

Right now, it's EXTREMELY difficult to get a face that looks good across all three games without tweaking. So you often end up with a face that looks good in one game, that you then have to tweak because of issues in another game.

Other things I'd like to see

1.) Add more hairstyles (Possible)
2.) Redesign Ashley in ME3 to more closely resemble her ME1 character. This may just involve reducing the amount of makeup and changing her hair (Never going to happen)

Yeah, I guess a new engine would not be needed for a remaster as that might entail remaking all the games.

1080p/60fps would be great though, with noticeably better graphics overall. However, I hope they do fix all the bugs, glitches, and other such issues that plagued the Ps3 version. Don't wanna see that shit again on the Ps4.

By the way, what are the chances we will get a remastered trilogy?

"not likely"
Why is this unlikely? Whenever you bought DLC in ME games, it would become available through the galaxy map as soon as you got it. If the games come with the DLC, it'll probably be installed before you even start the games up.

foxtrot3d

Banned
What would this entail that's different from the likely inclusion of DLC?

I'm pretty sure he means the DLC being woven into the mainline story. When you get DLC it's usually available right from the get go, the fact that you can finish of Leviathan before even finishing the Tuchanka arc just doesn't fit right with the pace of the story and later revelations. So arguably the best thing, for example, would be to spread Leviathan out over the course of the whole game so that you probably have the final encounter after Thessia.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Yeah, I guess a new engine would not be needed for a remaster as that might entail remaking all the games.

1080p/60fps would be great though, with noticeably better graphics overall. However, I hope they do fix all the bugs, glitches, and other such issues that plagued the Ps3 version. Don't wanna see that shit again on the Ps4.

By the way, what are the chances we will get a remastered trilogy?

The current unreal engine would work just fine.

I think he meants the current engine in the trilogy, UE3. UE3 has spawned some good looking games like the Arkham seriea.

But how much of a difference could there be with UE3 for a remastered ME trilogy on current gen consoles?

Also, what are the chances we will even get a remastered trilogy?

Ralemont

not me

I think they're pretty good. Clearly BioWare has some interest in doing it, and it's a low-cost proposition that EA might be interested in considering there's a new game coming out for the series in a year or so.

If I were a hopeful betting man, I'd say you announce and show an ME4 trailer at the same time you announce the Remaster to really make some headlines and drum up interest.

kingkaiser

My wishes for ME4

The boxart:
An angry Krogan smashing a Mako with a crowbar

Title:
This is What Happens When You F*** an Alien in the A**

I think they're pretty good. Clearly BioWare has some interest in doing it, and it's a low-cost proposition that EA might be interested in considering there's a new game coming out for the series in a year or so.

If I were a hopeful betting man, I'd say you announce and show an ME4 trailer at the same time you announce the Remaster to really make some headlines and drum up interest.

I said on the last page or few pages back that I predict Me4 will be announced at E3 this year, for a Q1 2016 release.

AND, if there will be a remastered trilogy, it'll release this year Q4. That'd be fucking lovely.

Patryn

I said on the last page or few pages back that I predict Me4 will be announced at E3 this year, for a Q1 2016 release.

AND, if there will be a remastered trilogy, it'll release this year Q4. That'd be fucking lovely.
I can't see ME4 hitting earlier than Q4 2016. I expect it'll get announced for that, but end up being pushed to Q1 2017.

SliChillax

But how much of a difference could there be with UE3 for a remastered ME trilogy on current gen consoles?

There is an interest from Bioware, a developer even posted here a few months ago asking us what we wanted from a remaster. If they polish the games it would be fine, making them run on Frostbite 3 would be a ton of work which could introduce lot's of new issues so if they ever make a remaster, it's better if they stick with UE3 and polish what they already have in terms of animations and visuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom