• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Titles are basically the hardest part of writing. It's freaking excruciating, trying to sum up your god-knows-how-long work with 1-2 words.

1-2 words that'll play a large factor in marketing, too.

Plissken

I didn't even know there was a Mass Effect mobile game. I tried looking for it on both my tablet (Nexus 10) and phone (HTC One), but it doesn't show up in the play store at all. It's 2 years old at this point, is there any reason it wouldn't run on either of those? I play the Dead Space game just fine on the One, I can't believe this wouldn't run on it.

I didn't even know there was a Mass Effect mobile game. I tried looking for it on both my tablet (Nexus 10) and phone (HTC One), but it doesn't show up in the play store at all. It's 2 years old at this point, is there any reason it wouldn't run on either of those? I play the Dead Space game just fine on the One, I can't believe this wouldn't run on it.
IIRC, it's only on iOS.

Plissken

Yeah, I tried searching the Play store specifically for "Mass Effect Infiltrator", "infiltrator", and just plain "Mass Effect", the game didn't show up.When I Google it, I can find it on the web store, but it says it's not compatible with any of my devices.

Well the Asari do live for a thousand years and Liara is quite young in the original trilogy.

I know about the ridiculous notion of asari having longass life spans, but I'm hoping the new game won't veer centuries into the future. the ME trilogy being set where it was made for a somewhat realistic, believable feel.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not having any knowledge in game development which does not surprise me. Everyone assumes that Mass Effect 4 will be delayed if they're working on a remaster.

It's just so damn frustrating to see people keep saying it over and over.

It's seriously the dumbest thing that people keep saying.

Every generation we have had remasters and for some reason its this generation that has produced whining.
I really should ignore them because Ill end up saying something will get me banned.

SliChillax

Every generation we have had remasters and for some reason its this generation that has produced whining.

People have more access to the internet this generation that's why there's more whining :p But I agree, I also tend to ignore them because it drives me crazy when people complain about remasters/remakes in general.

I know about the ridiculous notion of asari having longass life spans, but I'm hoping the new game won't veer centuries into the future. the ME trilogy being set where it was made for a somewhat realistic, believable feel.

I trust the developers when they say that the next game feels like Mass Effect, that's the only thing that I want.

Plasma

Banned
https://twitter.com/The1Wynn/status/559894590497763328

apU3TtT.png

Who knew that making a video game title could be so complicated!

Well it took them awhile to even land on Mass Effect.

1) The game wasn't originally called Mass Effect.
The original codename for the project was "SFX," short for "Science Fiction X." And they used that name for so long, everybody grew attached to it, and didn't want to change it. "We went through a naming process, and people kept saying, 'Why don't we just use SFX?'" says Hudson. But he and the other creators kept resisting using that name because it seemed like they were too attached to it — and the clincher was the fact that SFX was already the name of a long-standing magazine.

Instead, they chose Mass Effect from 10 different possible names, because it related to "the dark energy that we used to drive a lot of the technology. It inspired things about tipping points and being able to influence large things, and it was a name that we didn't hate. That's kind of how you know when you've got something," says Hudson.

http://io9.com/5890421/10-things-you-probably-didnt-know-about-mass-effect

People have more access to the internet this generation that's why there's more whining :p But I agree, I also tend to ignore them because it drives me crazy when people complain about remasters/remakes in general.

I trust the developers when they say that the next game feels like Mass Effect, that's the only thing that I want.
I want to trust them but I also hyped up the extended cut dlc, and it was nothing more than some slideshows with monologue.

SliChillax

I want to trust them but I also hyped up the extended cut dlc, and it was nothing more than some slideshows with monologue.

They had a restricted time and resources for the extended ending probably so I wasn't expecting anything major from it anyway. Something went wrong during the ending of ME3 and I'm sure it wasn't because Bioware as a team of writers are stupid.

Funny that you'd complain about the filler in ME2 and ME3 when it actually was worst in ME1, see those minerals/items you have to find on each barren planets. Gotta love trying to get that mineral stuck on a spiky mountain.
ME2/ME3 "filler" was what? Simple missions asking you to get from point A to point B? Planet scanning?

Yeah but you could completely ignore those missions in ME1. In 2, you were forced to mine/scan (to a certain extent) in order to upgrade your ships and weapons. And in 3, most of the side-missions involved scanning planets.

If they must keep planet scanning in, at least make it like it was in ME1: done with the press of a button. And they need to get rid of the fuel system altogether. It's stupid.

The big question is whether or not the geth, quarians, and krogan will be present.

The problem with ME2's planet scanning filler was that it was directly tied into your upgrades.

That would be extremely lame if they cut out any of those races. They made such a big deal out of solving each race's issues in the original trilogy, I want to see the results of that.

And exactly.

prag16

Banned
It's just so damn frustrating to see people keep saying it over and over.

It's seriously the dumbest thing that people keep saying.

I really should ignore them because Ill end up saying something will get me banned.

To play devil's advocate, you likewise can't prove your side. If EA thinks a Fall 2015 remaster and Fall 2016 ME4 will make more sense in the scheme of their entire release schedule (and their bottom line) than a Spring 2016 ME4 release with no remaster, you know what they'd do. (Not saying that's a realistic choice they'd have to make necessarily, but it's not completely impossible for remaster resources to hold up the next game; I agree that it's not likely, but it's also not impossible.)

So basically, having such a visceral reaction to posts like that is a little much. It's basically just another way of saying "I'm not really interested in a remaster". So what. Not everybody has to have a massive hard on for the same things. I'm not particularly hot for a remaster either.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That would be extremely lame if they cut out any of those races. They made such a big deal out of solving each race's issues in the original trilogy, I want to see the results of that.

And exactly.

Question: If the
Destroy ending were canon, weren't the Geth wiped out with the pulse or something?

I did love solving the issues of the races in the games, specially in 3. Felt amazing.

prag16

Banned
Question: If the
Destroy ending were canon, weren't the Geth wiped out with the pulse or something?

I did love solving the issues of the races in the games, specially in 3. Felt amazing.

I'm sure they could rustle something up about a
surviving pocket of geth
with some kind of plausible-enough explanation if they wanted to go that route; probably wouldn't be a dealbreaker.

They had a restricted time and resources for the extended ending probably so I wasn't expecting anything major from it anyway. Something went wrong during the ending of ME3 and I'm sure it wasn't because Bioware as a team of writers are stupid.
I wouldn't care if they took a whole year to make the extended cut but that's not my point, it's the way they were hyping it up. I think mike gamble had a tweet that said something along the lines of "oh boy... if you guys only knew how much we're doing/what we have in store" making it sound like something amazing

foxtrot3d

Banned
Interesting. Thanks for sharing that!

David Gaider, lead writer for DA series, wrote a whole article on how frustrating it is to name things. You can find it here (Skip to Part 5 Naming Things):
http://dgaiderarchive.tumblr.com/post/108861967367/on-narrative-design
For instance, did you know that Thedas actually stands for "THE Dragon Age Setting?"

The Dragon Age world was not initially called “Thedas”. There was a name that existed, but I didn’t like it and refused to use it in the documentation or in conversation… so, when we had to refer to it at all, we called it “the Dragon Age world” or “the Dragon Age setting” (with the understanding that eventually we would have to give it a real name).

It amused us to find on our forums that, lacking a provided alternative, someone had begun using the acronym “TheDAS” (The Dragon Age Setting) …and it stuck. Funny! So we started calling it Thedas in conversation, mostly because that was shorter. Then, lo and behold, when we sat down for the meeting to give the world its real name, we couldn’t settle on anything. Every option didn’t seem right. Nothing fit. Sheryl asked, “Can’t we just call it Thedas?”… and we realized the truth.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
So basically, having such a visceral reaction to posts like that is a little much. It's basically just another way of saying "I'm not really interested in a remaster". So what. Not everybody has to have a massive hard on for the same things. I'm not particularly hot for a remaster either.

I have NO ISSUE with people being against remasters. If it's not something you're interested in, thats fine.

But I have an issue with seeing the same tired arguments of "give me new games" "I'd rather them concentrate on new games" "rehash generation" etc. They act like getting new games and remasters are mutually exclusive. We are in just the second year of this generation and people have expectations like its the 6th year of last gen. New games take time.

Bioware easily has enough manpower to put a small team together to do re-release the trilogy on PS4/X1 without impeding ME4 progress. It's not some giant resource hog.

That's IF Bioware were to do the port and more than likely they wouldn't. EA/Bioware would likely farm it out to a dedicated porting studio like Bluepoint.

RoboVonHobo

Neo Member
During the last mission in ME1 when choosing to save the council, the alliance fleet flies in led by Joker and the Normandy, I cried. So. Fucking. epic.

Please do this to me again Bioware.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
Still dreaming with a Mass Effect Saga.
1080p@60
All three games combined with all DLC's integrated. One continous save.
ME3 engine.

Reese-015

You can kinda tell, given how tangential the concept of "Mass Effect" is to the entire series.

Yes and no, I always felt it was central in a subtle way since almost all of the significant technology that drives the main developments and stories in the games directly or indirectly came out of the discovery of the mass effect.

When I was in prehype for ME3 (lol) I thought about getting one, but it was like 100 bucks. No way am I paying that kind of money for a basic hoodie.
You don't have to get the one made by bioware. I got mine from some seller on eBay for $30 some dollars I think and it looked great. The only thing I don't like is that the stripe stops at my shoulder.
I have a guy at school who wears it everyday, he said it took 6 weeks to arrive and it kept him warm. It looked great but I'm not willing to wait that long plus it was a bit expensive for me.
it doesn't take 6 weeks to arrive and they don't all come at the same price.

Hahs

First of all:

A colon-ized Title. Something like, but not limited to:

Mass Effect: A Space Oddity

or

Mass Effect: The Big Bang Theory

Now that the reapers have been dealt with (assuming this is in conclusion to Shephard's timeline) more insight/knowledge/history into their background - like who the hell made them, I'm not buying that catalyst shit -
Shephard was indoctrinated, remember?

If the timeline precedes Shephard - more insight/knowledge/history/background of the proteans. Either timeline should introduce new species which I already heard is confirmed. As for other species, I'd like to see more of - if not visit the home planet of the Elcore, Volus, and Yahg - even the water world of Kahje, the homeworld of the Hanar would be fun to explore the depths of the oceans, a bit more of the Leviathan DLC maybe hardcoded into the final game too.

All I got fer now - I'll be back once I've thought about the 'second of all'.

Patryn

Now that the reapers have been dealt with (assuming this is in conclusion to Shephard's timeline) more insight/knowledge/history into their background - like who the hell made them, I'm not buying that catalyst shit -

Shepard wasn't indoctrinated. The Catalyst is the truth. Just accept it and move on.

I hope to god the Leviathans and Reapers are basically never mentioned again. They've fucked that entire storyline up so badly it's best to just leave it in the past.

Maybe off-hand mention the "Reaper invasion" but that's enough. Move on, do something new.

Lone Wolf

First of all:

A colon-ized Title. Something like, but not limited to:

Mass Effect: A Space Oddity

or

Mass Effect: The Big Bang Theory

If the timeline precedes Shephard - more insight/knowledge/history/background of the proteans. Either timeline should introduce new species which I already heard is confirmed. As for other species, I'd like to see more of - if not visit the home planet of the Elcore, Volus, and Yahg - even the water world of Kahje, the homeworld of the Hanar would be fun to explore the depths of the oceans, a bit more of the Leviathan DLC maybe hardcoded into the final game too.

All I got fer now - I'll be back once I've thought about the 'second of all'.
That is basically a game revolving around the leviathans. No thank you.

SugarDave

Shepard wasn't indoctrinated. The Catalyst is the truth. Just accept it and move on.

I hope to god the Leviathans and Reapers are basically never mentioned again. They've fucked that entire storyline up so badly it's best to just leave it in the past.

Maybe off-hand mention the "Reaper invasion" but that's enough. Move on, do something new.

Please, for the love of God, this.

We've done enough "exploring" of the Reapers and Leviathans and it led us to a jumbled mess that resulted in people needing fan fiction to make themselves feel better about where it ended up. They were never the best part of the trilogy anyway. Take the opportunity to do something better now that it's here, please.

Patryn

Why not have them explore the Leviathans even more? I think they were such a mysterious addition to Mass Effect 3 and it wasn't that fleshed out.

They're basically just organic Reapers. They look the same, they indoctrinate. Been there, done that.

Not sure how much more they need to be fleshed out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom