• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I can't see ME4 hitting earlier than Q4 2016. I expect it'll get announced for that, but end up being pushed to Q1 2017.

I seriously doubt they let the first ME of the generation slip into 2017.

Q1/Q2 2016 is a go.

There is an interest from Bioware, a developer even posted here a few months ago asking us what we wanted from a remaster. If they polish the games it would be fine, making them run on Frostbite 3 would be a ton of work which could introduce lot's of new issues so if they ever make a remaster, it's better if they stick with UE3 and polish what they already have in terms of animations and visuals.
what you're saying makes me think that the Ps4/Xbone versions of a ME trilogy would look closer to the existing PC version of it - meaning, not really much of a difference at all. At the very least, I want them to rid the games of the technical issues that plagued the Ps3 versions, and give us better visuals. Not something leaps better, but something substantial, you know.
I seriously doubt they let the first ME of the generation slip into 2017.

Q1/Q2 2016 is a go.
this. I still say Q1 16 is best bet.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Mass Effect 1 - 3 is my favorite series of last gen, and I am so hyped for the current gen trilogy. The world, the music, and the general vibe of the series is just... my jam.

I really hope they don't pack the new one full of empty MMO style quests like Dragon Age Inquisition had. I want exploring with the Mako to be full of discovery, secrets, and weird little stories and characters.

Stuff like finding an abandoned escape pod with an audio log, or like a stranded Turian who just wants to get home. Not collect 30 iron ore.

I also hope they go back to the tone of 1. The tone of 2 and 3 was overall "grittier" and a bit trashier in my mind. It wasn't darker in the good way that Empire Strikes Back or the Dark Knight were, but more in the bad way Prince of Persia: Two Thrones was. It wasn't as egregious as Two Thrones, but overall a step down from the tone of 1.

I say this as a huge fan of the series. I just think the first game captured the vibe of the universe and being explorers better than the other two. Just a small example, but the armors of the women were much more practical in ME1. Then in ME2, suddenly everyone has a massive bust with their suit unzipped and if not unzipped, it is skin tight and practically painted on. I liked the more practical and non sexualized designs of ME1's women.

Also I hope we don't see any more of Cerberus. I have had my fill of Cerberus.

SliChillax

what you're saying makes me think that the Ps4/Xbone versions of a ME trilogy would look closer to the existing PC version of it - meaning, not really much of a difference at all. At the very least, I want them to rid the games of the technical issues that plagued the Ps3 versions, and give us better visuals. Not something leaps better, but something substantial, you know.

To be honest I just want them to fix the horrendous animations and textures, that completely broke the immersion for me at times. I know I can use Texmod on PC but it's very annoying to manually select the textures everytime you boot the game and wait 5 minutes.

Mass Effect 1 - 3 is my favorite series of last gen, and I am so hyped for the current gen trilogy. The world, the music, and the general vibe of the series is just... my jam.

I really hope they don't pack the new one full of empty MMO style quests like Dragon Age Inquisition had. I want exploring with the Mako to be full of discovery, secrets, and weird little stories and characters.

Stuff like finding an abandoned escape pod with an audio log, or like a stranded Turian who just wants to get home. Not collect 30 iron ore.

I also hope they go back to the tone of 1. The tone of 2 and 3 was overall "grittier" and a bit trashier in my mind. It wasn't darker in the good way that Empire Strikes Back or the Dark Knight were, but more in the bad way Prince of Persia: Two Thrones was. It wasn't as egregious as Two Thrones, but overall a step down from the tone of 1.

I say this as a huge fan of the series. I just think the first game captured the vibe of the universe and being explorers better than the other two. Just a small example, but the armors of the women were much more practical in ME1. Then in ME2, suddenly everyone has a massive bust with their suit unzipped and if not unzipped, it is skin tight and practically painted on. I liked the more practical and non sexualized designs of ME1's women.

Also I hope we don't see any more of Cerberus. I have had my fill of Cerberus.
I agree with all of this. You're alright by me.

Is it sort of the consensus that ME1 is in a very different category from 2 and 3?

Because I fucking love the first one, and am strangely indifferent to the other 2.

2 weeks from today it'll have been 3 years since ME3 shipped. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were both spring releases. I think first half of 2016 is highly likely.

SliChillax

2 weeks from today it'll have been 3 years since ME3 shipped. Mass Effect 2 and 3 were both spring releases. I think first half of 2016 is highly likely.

Can't believe 3 years passed so quickly, I remember like it was yesterday the whole ending thing and how the internet was in chaos for a few weeks.

To be honest I just want them to fix the horrendous animations and textures, that completely broke the immersion for me at times. I know I can use Texmod on PC but it's very annoying to manually select the textures everytime you boot the game and wait 5 minutes.
You played it on PC? I would think there would be the least amount of issues on those versions. The Ps3 games on the other hand were riddled with technical fucking issues.

Guri

Don't use Texmod! Use ME3Explorer (there's ME2Explorer as well and a full texture pack to install for ME1). Texmod loads them into your memory, but MEExplorer actually replaces them and it doesn't increase loading times.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
RE: Trilogy port. I'm just repeating what I've said earlier, but I'm far less enthusiastic about the idea than a lot of other people, probably because I'm primarily a PC owner and what I'd want/need from a trilogy port might be a higher standard. End of the day, as much as I love the series, I'm not that eager to replay them over an entirely new experience. I'd much rather time and effort be focused on Mass Effect 4, and I figure it probably is the priority at the moment. After all, the trilogy is a combination of overwhelming familiarity, closure, and disappointment. As much as I love them, and will replay some day, I'm kinda happy to let it rest for the time being.

That being said, from the perspective of a PC owner and thinking of reasonable enhancements that don't constitute a total overhaul, I'd mostly want;
- Three base games and all DLC.
- Seamless, coherent flow between each three games (no main game menus).
- Handful of additional rendering bells and whistles that are super common in modern games and even the engine, eg: SSAO.
- If possible, improved textures (this would be a big job, and unfortunately I'd be expecting a a standard along the lines of JeanLuc's ME2 texture mod which is fucking outstanding).
- Control pad support. I won't use it but I know a lot of PC gamers who would.

Even then I'd have to be really keen to put down money for all three again. Honestly I could see a port mostly being console focused; games from last generation now running at 1080p60fps on new hardware. But I already had that and then some, so the appeal is diminished.

SliChillax

You played it on PC? I would think there would be the least amount of issues on those versions. The Ps3 games on the other hand were riddled with technical fucking issues.
Yeah only played the first Mass Effect on the 360 and it was a sluggish experience. ME3 on PC I had the weird issue where the characters would spin their heads 360 degrees half of the time.

Don't use Texmod! Use ME3Explorer (there's ME2Explorer as well and a full texture pack to install for ME1). Texmod loads them into your memory, but MEExplorer actually replaces them and it doesn't increase loading times.

I have the texture pack installed for ME1 but for the other 2 I could never get ME3Explorer to work :(

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Since the subject of remastering what are some changes in a remastered trilogy you would like to see? Yes, this has been done to death, but I am always fascinated by the responses.
Label your responses in categories of "likely" "maybe" "not likely" "dreaming"

For me "likely"
1. All DLC - this is the 100% must and very likely. Failure to include all the DLC (minus Pinnacle Station) makes this a not buy for me.
2. 1080p/60fps - almost as necessary as 1, but 1080p/30fps is fine too.

"maybe"
3. Higher res textures.
4. making it such that no import is required between games.
5. A checklist that allows you to start each game with different choices.

"not likely"
6. tweaking (but not completely redoing) the inventory for ME1
7. Improving the Mako controls
8. Incorporate the DLC as though its part of the main game.

"dreaming"
9. Allow a happy ending with blue babies and save the geth and quarians
10. Redo the combat and inventory for ME1 and ME2 to match ME3.
11. Restore Javik as the catalyst

I would consider the "likely" and "maybe" lists as nigh on definite one would think - just upgrading ME1 in it's vanilla state to 1080p would still be pretty janky, I"m sure BW would use one of the texture mods or their version of one for it at least?

The singular playthrough would also be amazing, but I wouldn't fret if not included.
The different choices checklist would be cool as hell, and would love to see that included.

I would really like to see some of your "not likely" list implemented, those are some real QoL improvements there, and the DLC integration would make the game flow better.

I actually would not like any of the "dreaming" additions though, I'm fine with the endings (with EC/Lev), love ME1 weird combat (truthfully) and never liked Javik much.... so less of him the better IMO lol.

Yeah only played the first Mass Effect on the 360 and it was a sluggish experience. ME3 on PC I had the weird issue where the characters would spin their heads 360 degrees half of the time.

I have the texture pack installed for ME1 but for the other 2 I could never get ME3Explorer to work :(

you mean, this
Z22qnfb.gif

what made Me1 on 360 sluggish?

360 was undoubtedly the most popular platform of ME.

SliChillax

you mean, this
Z22qnfb.gif

what made Me1 on 360 sluggish?

360 was undoubtedly the most popular platform of ME.
Haha yeah, the framerate mostly was horrible. Some other technical issues I can't remember in detail because it has been a gew years since the last time I played the 360 version. I remember that when I finally had a decent PC first thing I did was replay ME1 and it was incredible.

Haha yeah, the framerate mostly was horrible. Some other technical issues I can't remember in detail because it has been a gew years since the last time I played the 360 version. I remember that when I finally had a decent PC first thing I did was replay ME1 and it was incredible.

with that being said, a higher framerate would be most welcome for a remaster and would lay some great groundwork for Me4.

did Me2 and 3 have 60fps on PC?

SliChillax

with that being said, a higher framerate would be most welcome for a remaster and would lay some great groundwork for Me4.

did Me2 and 3 have 60fps on PC?
Yeah of course but to me the main advantage of ME2 and ME3 on PC was the keyboard because I could chain together lot's of biotic powers without pausing the game to bring up the power wheel menu and that always made fights incredibly entertaining and fast paced.

Yeah of course but to me the main advantage of ME2 and ME3 on PC was the keyboard because I could chain together lot's of biotic powers without pausing the game to bring up the power wheel menu and that always made fights incredibly entertaining and fast paced.

any game that has a PC port always has that platform's version as the best.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Yeah, thinking about it, i think i'll just buy ME4 on PC again rather than consoles. Having 8 powers freely available without needing to pause is great, screw the keyboard haters.

Now... i'll just need to completely upgrade my PC. In the meantime, i'll reinstall the whole trilogy again. I really need to stop uninstalling it after every playthrough, thinking it will be the last.

SliChillax

Yeah, thinking about it, i think i'll just buy ME4 on PC again rather than consoles. Having 8 powers freely available without needing to pause is great, screw the keyboard haters.

Now... i'll just need to completely upgrade my PC. In the meantime, i'll reinstall the whole trilogy again. I really need to stop uninstalling it after every playthrough, thinking it will be the last.

It's incredibly enjoyable especially if you have a nice sound system Mass Effect 3 sounds so good when using the biotic powers. That punchy bass everytime you hit something makes it one of the most enjoyable games for me gameplay wise.

that was pretty good. they used some of the same music as the asm teaser.

you seen this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twnZIU65AnY / https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eqfM1GTZK0

Ahh that brings me back to when I used to play Mass Effect 2 at my local internet caffe because I didn't have a PC or gaming consoles. Used to watch funny ME videos all day after playing.

Guri

They have newer versions now. Maybe you can make them work? Textures for ME3 here.

Here are the ones for ME2.

RE: Trilogy port. I'm just repeating what I've said earlier, but I'm far less enthusiastic about the idea than a lot of other people, probably because I'm primarily a PC owner and what I'd want/need from a trilogy port might be a higher standard. End of the day, as much as I love the series, I'm not that eager to replay them over an entirely new experience. I'd much rather time and effort be focused on Mass Effect 4, and I figure it probably is the priority at the moment. After all, the trilogy is a combination of overwhelming familiarity, closure, and disappointment. As much as I love them, and will replay some day, I'm kinda happy to let it rest for the time being.

That being said, from the perspective of a PC owner and thinking of reasonable enhancements that don't constitute a total overhaul, I'd mostly want;
- Three base games and all DLC.
- Seamless, coherent flow between each three games (no main game menus).
- Handful of additional rendering bells and whistles that are super common in modern games and even the engine, eg: SSAO.
- If possible, improved textures (this would be a big job, and unfortunately I'd be expecting a a standard along the lines of JeanLuc's ME2 texture mod which is fucking outstanding).
- Control pad support. I won't use it but I know a lot of PC gamers who would.

Even then I'd have to be really keen to put down money for all three again. Honestly I could see a port mostly being console focused; games from last generation now running at 1080p60fps on new hardware. But I already had that and then some, so the appeal is diminished.

Agreed. And also a big discount for owners for the original trilogy on PC.

Speaking of ME on PC I was wonder what folk thought of the conversation stuff at 60fps? I put a couple hours into ME2 on PC when EA was giving out a game for those who were unfortunate enough to buy DA2. For that little playthrough I was surprised how much more noticeable the keyframes were in the animations when talking to characters. NPCs looked far more rigid than what I saw on console, moved like something akin to a flash video.

I hadn't really noticed this with other games going from 30->60 though. Is this just how Bioware's animation looks without being...choppy or, more likely, was it just me? Wondering for a trilogy remaster if such a thing would be noticeable.

Speaking of ME on PC I was wonder what folk thought of the conversation stuff at 60fps? I put a couple hours into ME2 on PC when EA was giving out a game for those who were unfortunate enough to buy DA2. For that little playthrough I was surprised how much more noticeable the keyframes were in the animations when talking to characters. NPCs looked far more rigid than what I saw on console, moved like something akin to a flash video.

I hadn't really noticed this with other games going from 30->60 though. Is this just how Bioware's animation looks without being...choppy or, more likely, was it just me? Wondering for a trilogy remaster if such a thing would be noticeable.
was the ME games on PC 60fps?

DOWN

Banned
it'll most definitely come before Me4.
You can't say most definitely if they haven't once confirmed it. The most we have is someone asking us to brainstorm. That's nowhere near a sure thing, especially from a publisher with no remasters of note.

was the ME games on PC 60fps?

I'd certainly hope so! I'd definitely be crazy if not.

I wonder since the PC version of DA:I was (at least at launch) locked to 30 fps for cutscenes if Bioware feels the same way. I didn't follow that issue too closely, was it a glitch or something intentional?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom