• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghazi

Boy, I really wish we'd get a remaster. It'd be even cooler if they managed to stitch all the games together (barring the character screens before each). It's just one of those series that could totally use one.

Then that would mean 2015 which there is no way a remaster will come out so early since they haven't even confirmed it. ME4 is almost guaranteed to come out in 2016, EA will not release two ME titles in the same year.
Well you never know, they could've been doing a remaster all this time only to reveal it at E3 this year. wasn't that similar to how the master chief collection was brought to light?

and yeah, if the trilogy releases Q4 this year and Me4 Q1 next year, although it's a close time frame it's still not two releases in the same year.

They're UE, so theoretically they should go as high as your PC can take it.
OK thanks. I didn't know that was a neat feature about UE.
You can't say most definitely if they haven't once confirmed it. The most we have is someone asking us to brainstorm. That's nowhere near a sure thing, especially from a publisher with no remasters of note.
I guess not but I have a feeling if they're even doing a remastered trilogy, that we will see it this year. If we're gonna continue getting remastered games from last gen, it should be only in the early years of this gen, but not the middle and throughout.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You can't say most definitely if they haven't once confirmed it. The most we have is someone asking us to brainstorm. That's nowhere near a sure thing, especially from a publisher with no remasters of note.

Its far more than a simple brainstorm.

No, its not guaranteed, but you don't have a high ranking official come to a message board and openly start talking about it without it being pretty damn close to officially being made.

If it was a simple brainstorm, EA and/or the Bioware forums would have simply created an online poll of some sort.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Then that would mean 2015 which there is no way a remaster will come out so early since they haven't even confirmed it. ME4 is almost guaranteed to come out in 2016, EA will not release two ME titles in the same year.

There is so much bad speculation in this post.

First off, a remaster is not going to get announced WAYYY in advance unless its something BIG like the Halo MCC. The ME trilogy is not going to be a huge seller, and doesn't need months of marketting.

To further prove that point:

Metro Redux was announced in May and came out in August.

The Last of Us Remastered was announced in April and got released in July.

Hell, Tomb Raider DE was announced in Dec of 2013 and came out at the end of January 2014.

Also, it's silly of you to say that EA wouldn't release an ME trilogy and ME4 in the same year. It's perfectly plausible that an ME trilogy could come out in the summer with ME4 coming in november or early 2016.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I guess not but I have a feeling if they're even doing a remastered trilogy, that we will see it this year. If we're gonna continue getting remastered games from last gen, it should be only in the early years of this gen, but not the middle and throughout.

Why not? They can release them at any time.

SliChillax

First off, a remaster is not going to get announced WAYYY in advance unless its something BIG like the Halo MCC. The ME trilogy is not going to be a huge seller, and doesn't need months of marketting.

To further prove that point:

Metro Redux was announced in May and came out in August.

The Last of Us Remastered was announced in April and got released in July.

Hell, Tomb Raider DE was announced in Dec of 2013 and came out at the end of January 2014.

Also, it's silly of you to say that EA wouldn't release an ME trilogy and ME4 in the same year. It's perfectly plausible that an ME trilogy could come out in the summer with ME4 coming in november or early 2016.

Don't compare Mass Effect to Metro, Halo might be bigger but Mass Effect is a huge seller and we're talking about 3 games here getting remastered not just one of them so yes I expect them to do a shit load of marketing once they announce it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Don't compare Mass Effect to Metro, Halo might be bigger but Mass Effect is a huge seller and we're talking about 3 games here getting remastered not just one of them so yes I expect them to do a shit load of marketing once they announce it.
Ok I won't compare it to Metro.

I'll just compare it to Last of Us and Tomb Raider. Both series have sales comparable to ME. Heck the Last of Us alone has close to what ME had.
Good job ignoring that part.

The ME series has a lifetime sales of around 8-10 million. That's decent but not outstanding.

In otherwords my point is more correct than yours. The ME trilogy is not going to have a huge marketing budget,

DOWN

Banned

Cool. Wouldn't want to speculate.
Its far more than a simple brainstorm.

No, its not guaranteed, but you don't have a high ranking official come to a message board and openly start talking about it without it being pretty damn close to officially being made.

If it was a simple brainstorm, EA and/or the Bioware forums would have simply created an online poll of some sort.
Oh

SliChillax

Ok I won't compare it to Metro.

I'll just compare it to Last of Us and Tomb Raider. Both series have sales comparable to ME. Heck the Last of Us alone has close to what ME had.
Good job ignoring that part.

The ME series has a lifetime sales of around 8-10 million. That's decent but not outstanding.

In otherwords my point is more correct than yours. The ME trilogy is not going to have a huge marketing budget,

Not saying I'm 100% right but if you think they wont do a lot of marketing for remastering 3 games then I don't know how I could argue with you. I'm not talking Destiny or GTA V marketing here but EA is not an indie company to worry about marketing money especially when they know the demand for Mass Effect. We'll see when the time comes.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Not saying I'm 100% right but if you think they wont do a lot of marketing for remastering 3 games then I don't know how I could argue with you. I'm not talking Destiny or GTA V marketing here but EA is not an indie company to worry about marketing money especially when they know the demand for Mass Effect. We'll see when the time comes.

Of course they will market it some. But it's not going to get marketed like its anywhere remotely close to a big title, because no matter how you look at it these games are at least three years old and few people rebuy old games. Especially compared to big new titles.

Because of that it simply does not need (nor does it warrant) many months of hype. It will likely be officially announced not too long before it gets actually released since there is a precedent.

My original point is that there is still a TON of time to announce it and have it out even as early as this summer. The Last of Us Remastered was not given a release date until E3 of last year and it got released on the July 29th. Barely one month. Same with GTAV. The release date got announced like two months before it was to arrive in stores.

Could EA go against the grain and heavily market it to try and put the trilogy in the hands of as many people as possible? I supposed, but it doesn't seem likely. I expect these to get made as cheaply as possible.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Been replaying Mass Effect 1 in the past few days. I keep forgetting how useless the sniper rifle is unless you have like max points into the Sniper Rifle skill, sucks, because the sniper rifle is really good for every classes in this game to kill targets from a safe distance, not something you can really do with biotics and tech skills, which are awful compared to ME2 & ME3 by the way, if your aim isn't perfect they'll miss. At least in ME2/ME3, as long as you target your enemies, the skills will automatically hit them unless there's something on the way.

Also, if there is even a remaster one day, i sincerely hope they allow you to run out of combat, Shepard walks too damn slow in ME1. Makes going from one side of a building/cave to the other a pain. Not to mention all the walking in the Citadel.

Also, i really hope they make the new Mako less bouncy than in ME1. The vehicule looks like it's made of rubber since i'm bouncing left and right when trying to get down or up a cliff or mountain.

Also, if there is even a remaster one day, i sincerely hope they allow you to run out of combat, Shepard walks too damn slow in ME1. Makes going from one side of a building/cave to the other a pain. Not to mention all the walking in the Citadel.
The bizzare thing is, they had this in when the game was in development. I'm on mobile at the moment, but I'll try to add a video of it later (I think if you search Mass Effect 2007 PAX you can find it). I have no idea why they took it out. Holding down A to run in the final game just moves the camera closer.

Guri

The bizzare thing is, they had this in when the game was in development. I'm on mobile at the moment, but I'll try to add a video of it later (I think if you search Mass Effect 2007 PAX you can find it). I have no idea why they took it out. Holding down A to run in the final game just moves the camera closer.

They ran out of memory, maybe? I mean, they only had 512 MB to work with and really big levels in ME1 (especially compared to the sequels).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Been replaying Mass Effect 1 in the past few days. I keep forgetting how useless the sniper rifle is unless you have like max points into the Sniper Rifle skill, sucks, because the sniper rifle is really good for every classes in this game to kill targets from a safe distance, not something you can really do with biotics and tech skills, which are awful compared to ME2 & ME3 by the way, if your aim isn't perfect they'll miss. At least in ME2/ME3, as long as you target your enemies, the skills will automatically hit them unless there's something on the way.

Also, i really hope they make the new Mako less bouncy than in ME1. The vehicule looks like it's made of rubber since i'm bouncing left and right when trying to get down or up a cliff or mountain.

There is so much that is useless in ME1!

Patryn

My last playthrough I ran adept and took sniper rifle as my extra skill, because I hadn't used one in a while.

Yeah, I regretted that because I forgot how little I actually want to use it. There's very few situations where I go to it instead of just using my pistol.

Should have gone assault rifles.

prag16

Banned
My last playthrough I ran adept and took sniper rifle as my extra skill, because I hadn't used one in a while.

Yeah, I regretted that because I forgot how little I actually want to use it. There's very few situations where I go to it instead of just using my pistol.

Yeah the gap in usefulness of sniper rifles in ME1 and ME2/3 is staggering. Infiltrator plus sniper in 2/3 is badass.

Bisnic

I dunno, the number of times in ME1 where i can safely kill a group of enemies from a distance with my sniper without worrying of dying thanks to the sniper rifle is big enough to make the sniper worth it for me. Especially those bases with 5-6 towers and a Geth Colossus in the middle. I kill the enemies in the towers with my sniper from a distance, get on the Mako to weaken the Colossus and finish him up close with a shotgun or pistol in the face for dat extra XP.

Patryn

I dunno, the number of times in ME1 where i can safely kill a group of enemies from a distance with my sniper without worrying of dying thanks to the sniper rifle is big enough to make the sniper worth it for me. Especially those bases with 5-6 towers and a Geth Colossus in the middle. I kill the enemies in the towers with my sniper, get on the Mako to weaken the Colossus and finish him up close with a shotgun or pistol in the face for dat extra XP.

I always got out of the Mako around Colussus and then strafed around them. Since I tended to play either Engineer or Sentinel, I'd then Sabotage and Overload the shit out of them so they couldn't fire the big cannon.

diaspora

My last play through of the trilogy has convinced me that the team needs to wipe the skate clean story-wise. They just need to start from scratch IMO.

Yeah the gap in usefulness of sniper rifles in ME1 and ME2/3 is staggering. Infiltrator plus sniper in 2/3 is badass.
Sniper rifles in ME1 are really only useful at long range with high explosive rounds and dual scram rails, since you could kill everything quickly, but that was about it.

I'm the opposite lol

I never use pistols and the sniper rifle is my favorite gun.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
My last play through of the trilogy has convinced me that the team needs to wipe the skate clean story-wise. They just need to start from scratch IMO.

Just to clarify, you mean wipe the slate clean plot wise, not lore wise?
I'm all for a clean slate (say a few hundred years after ME3), but would actually freak if they wiped any lore/world building already done.

In Indoctrinated News:

Not to beat a dead horse... but IT would actually fix the canon ending debate too...

Now, I believe the endings are the endings, I'm no endings denier: but moving forward is hampered by the 3 different choices at the end really, wouldn't it be cray if they somehow adapted a version of IT to make going forward possible?

Space magic, dance.

Ralemont

not me
Now, I believe the endings are the endings, I'm no endings denier: but moving forward is hampered by the 3 different choices at the end really, wouldn't it be cray if they somehow adapted a version of IT to make going forward possible?

Space magic, dance.

IT doesn't really have an ending though; it's just assumed that afterwards the Crucible kills the Reapers without killing synthetics. In which case, it seems easier to just pretend the synthetic extinction didn't happen with Destroy instead of introducing IT somehow.

IT doesn't really have an ending though; it's just assumed that afterwards the Crucible kills the Reapers without killing synthetics. In which case, it seems easier to just pretend the synthetic extinction didn't happen with Destroy instead of introducing IT somehow.

not even. if we go by IT, then we don't even know what the crucible really does.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
why would they release the previous games before the anticipated sequel? I mean sure they can but by then interest for a remaster will probably drop significantly since the new game will be available.

Thats how it often happens.....

The God of War collection was released two months before God of War 3.

Ralemont

not me
not even. if we go by IT, then we don't even know what the crucible really does.

While that's true, the undercurrent for believing IT seems to be - in my opinion - a desire to escape the shitty consequences of picking one of the 3 given endings. Thus if you were to ask them how they'd prefer IT to end, it'd be Destroy without the synthetic extinction. If so, then why not just retcon Destroy instead of involving all these complicated IT hoops? is my point.

Thats how it often happens.....

The God of War collection was released two months before God of War 3.
four months. I get that that's the same thing - remastered game of course, but that's a little different because those remasters were the same exact games, just rendered in HD. most remasters this gen are made to look like current gen games, with some better graphics. and I also don't think the gow collection would've sold as well if it was released after gow 3, because that was what it was hyping up.
While that's true, the undercurrent for believing IT seems to be - in my opinion - a desire to escape the shitty consequences of picking one of the 3 given endings. Thus if you were to ask them how they'd prefer IT to end, it'd be Destroy without the synthetic extinction. If so, then why not just retcon Destroy instead of involving all these complicated IT hoops? is my point.
that's definitely one of the main things. so you're saying (forget IT for this discussion) the original ending should've targeted reapers instead of all synthetic life?

that's what control did - you don't control all synthetics, just the reapers. so I don't get why destroy couldn't do specified targets. hell, destroy is the only option in which shepard has a chance of surviving, and the starchild specifically implies you die if you pick it.

fuck Me3.

DOWN

Banned
four months. I get that that's the same thing - remastered game of course, but that's a little different because those remasters were the same exact games, just rendered in HD. most remasters this gen are made to look like current gen games, with some better graphics. and I also don't think the gow collection would've sold as well if it was released after gow 3, because that was what it was hyping up.

Remasters make more sense before sequels. Movies do it when a new entry is coming to theaters, games do it when a new franchise entry is coming.

Think about it - the remaster should already be on the market to benefit from the promotion they are already going to end up spending for the new sequel. It essentially promotes two products for the price of one. You don't want people excited for your sequel, but with only the dated, inaccessible copies of the originals on shelves. If you know you are going to do a remaster, putting it out months after the sequel, people will be annoyed they didn't get this new product to hold them over when they wanted it as they waited for the sequel, and very annoyed if they bought old versions because they saw the new one come out and figured there were no plans for improving the originals since it wasn't mentioned during catch-up season.

Smarter to have a nice update on current systems when your franchise is in the news for a big buzz sequel, than after the big buzz sequel has already burnt out it's launch fanfare.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

The Mass Effect trilogy would also be the exact same game rendered in a higher resolution...

You've effectively proven my point.

Thank you.

Remasters make more sense before sequels. Movies do it when a new entry is coming to theaters, games do it when a new franchise entry is coming.

Think about it - the remaster should already be on the market to benefit from the promotion they are already going to end up spending for the new sequel. It essentially promotes two products for the price of one. You don't want people excited for your sequel, but with only the dated, inaccessible copies of the originals on shelves. If you know you are going to do a remaster, putting it out months after the sequel, people will be annoyed they didn't get this new product to hold them over when they wanted it as they waited for the sequel, and very annoyed if they bought old versions because they saw the new one come out and figured there were no plans for improving the originals since it wasn't mentioned during catch-up season.

Smarter to have a nice update on current systems when your franchise is in the news for a big buzz sequel, than after the big buzz sequel has already burnt out it's launch fanfare.
that's what I've saying all this time, man. the remaster needs to come out before the sequel. I would agree with that, not argue with it.

The Mass Effect trilogy would also be the exact same game rendered in a higher resolution...

You've effectively proven my point.

Thank you.
just a higher resolution? they wouldn't try to improve the graphical textures in any way like ND did for tlour? I was trying to counter your point by saying 6th to 7th gen remasters aren't the same as 7th to 8th gen remasters, because for the latter, devs liek ND for example will try to make the graphics look at least marginally better, besides just upping the resolution.

but, you're welcome anyways.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I don't look at IT as a way to avoid the current endings though, I just see it as a fascinating way of enhancing the mystery and build up to the end of the trilogy.

A lot of IT makes perfect sense, but I also back the real endings as the true endings if that makes sense... I guess I like the mystery of it all and the sense that there is possibly something else to the end of Shepard's journey.

that's what I've saying all this time, man. the remaster needs to come out before the sequel. I would agree with that, not argue with it.

just a higher resolution? they wouldn't try to improve the graphical textures in any way like ND did for tlour? I was trying to counter your point by saying 6th to 7th gen remasters aren't the same as 7th to 8th gen remasters, because for the latter, devs liek ND for example will try to make the graphics look at least marginally better, besides just upping the resolution.

but, you're welcome anyways.

If the Mass Effect Remaster is as quality as the TLoU Remaster.... I would freak out with excitement.

The TLoU Remaster is amazing head to toe, I'm still knee deep in the Factions MP, and the populations are super strong even here in NZ/Aussie (90% of the time I'm paired locally, at least).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
If the Mass Effect Remaster is as quality as the TLoU Remaster.... I would freak out with excitement.

The TLoU Remaster is amazing head to toe, I'm still knee deep in the Factions MP, and the populations are super strong even here in NZ/Aussie (90% of the time I'm paired locally, at least).

You should expect it to have quality similar to the PC versions.

THat's as a realistic an expectation as there is.

Bisnic

Yeah, I doubt they'll take the time to boost the resolution of those low-res armor and cloth.
At 1080p on a PC, armor and cloth looks pretty ugly in certain spots. Thank god the faces(at least, the aliens) looks pretty good.

Patryn

I'm looking for that and gamepad support. If the pc versions had gamepad support, I wouldn't need this.

It continues to blow my mind that they didn't add in controller support for either ME2 or ME3.

I kind of understand the argument about ME1 (they wanted to rework the UI to take advantage of KB+M), and given the time it was released having controller support wasn't at the same level as it is now. But for ME2 and ME3 there's no excuse, because it was becoming standard to offer it.

Hm.

http://careersearch.ea.com/ca/montr...oware-montreal-senior-cinematic-animator-jobs

4Wdje0X.png

4FodjwX.png

aravuus

Also "a solid understanding of composition and camera language" is there twice, so they gotta be serious about whatever this is

Patryn

Maybe I'm out of the loop, by why is this surprising?

Not surprising, more informative.

It's just that we know that ME4 and likely all future titles are using Frostbite.

It's only the original trilogy that used Unreal.

This posting is a further sign that they're working on a remaster.

BumRush

Not surprising, more informative.

It's just that we know that ME4 and likely all future titles are using Frostbite.

It's only the original trilogy that used Unreal.

This posting is a further sign that they're working on a remaster.

AHHHH thank you. I knew I was missing SOMETHING!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom