• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josh5890

This was probably my favorite new IP last gen( or tied with Uncharted) pretty much re-introduced me to playing RPGs. Can't wait see what Bioware is working on.

Same here. Mass Effect actually brought me back into PC gaming. I never owned a 360 and the only other way for me to play Mass Effect was on PC. Picked up a decent video card and the rest was history.

We're not contradicting one another. I never said Bioware was behind the decision. Yes, Bioware cares about sales, but EA cares a lot more. Hence, they make that call.

Also, it was originally intended to be a launch window title, but that changed months before the consoles released. So you can't say it was "always intended", if for no other reason than it ended up not showing up until a year after launch.
alright, my bad. i'm not much of a fan of dragon age so i wasn't following their production cycles much at all. i didn't know if bioware felt like they were caught off guard when the 8th gen consoles were announced during their work on da3 or anything like that.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm under the impression that Inquisition was a bit of a weird middle ground for BioWare, where the game originally started as a last/cross generation title and after numerous delays/revisions finally ended up a Frostbite 3 current generation title. While I'm sure it was a challenge getting the last gen builds working, Inquisition isn't really doing much as a game that strikes me as too demanding for last generation hardware (obviously, given it's on those platforms!). On the plus side, something I love about most work done on Frostbite 3 games is that even when they're cross generation they've a number of awesome effects that scrub up nicely maxed out. Battlefield 4 still looks stunning (campaign especially), and Inquisition too is doing a ton of shit last generation couldn't, like tessellated rocks and pebbles. A mate of mine was playing it on PS3 (he only just got a PS4), and when he saw my PC build he was blown away, couldn't believe the difference.

Much like Battlefront III, a lot of what excites me about Mass Effect 4 is how it'll be made primarily for current generation hardware limits on an extremely capable and already gorgeous engine. Scene density is a big one. Inquisition has some insanely gorgeous patches of forest with dense foliage, but with fewer CPU/RAM limits how far can they take it? I also wonder if destruction will enter the picture in a big way. Frostbite is obviously attuned to destructive environments, and BioWare intended for Mass Effect (2, I think) to let biotics rip and blow stuff apart, but last generation hardware (and UE3) didn't have the chops. Now those limitations will be removed.

I'm excited to see how far they take it. Going by what's been shown so far (so very little) uncharted world exploration is back in a big way. But it's one thing to render a snowy tundra with distant mountains. What about denser stuff? Imagine seeing a rich, thick forest and being able to actually go inside it, dense with foliage, on a mysterious uncharted world. And when fighting within that forest, having explosions knock down trees.

There's a lot of potential with this series, stronger hardware, and Frostbite 3. I still think, like the Batman games, UE3 really nailed Mass Effect last generation. At least on PC, maxed out at 1080p with SGSSAA the games scrub up extremely well and look fucking gorgeous. The playspace was just always limited, with the exception of the first game where said playspace was empty as fuck anyway. I expect them to explore larger playspace with greater detail in the fourth entry.

EDIT: I mean, despite being a game that can run on X360/PS3 tier hardware, Inquisition can scrub up to look like this;

moose1z1uef.png

Man, if there is no trailer this E³ I am going to flip the fuck out!

Most anticipated title we know about (seeing as The Witcher 3 and Pillars of Eternity are coming out soon) by a mile.

jediyoshi

So I'm currently replaying ME3, and I'm about 20 hours in. I just flipped back to ME2 to check something and I realized that ME2 actually looks a lot better than ME3. Like, remarkably.

Is it just me?

Depends. There's a lot of set piece based environments that look better in ME3, but otherwise they very deliberately kept the fidelity the same so it'd be less jarring when reusing assets.

BioWare intended for Mass Effect (2, I think) to let biotics rip and blow stuff apart, but last generation hardware (and UE3) didn't have the chops. Now those limitations will be removed.

Yeah, they had destructible environments as a feature when they first started showing ME1 at E3 2006. The game shown there is pretty unrecognizable from what the final product ended up being. BioWare was still getting used to the new engine and the new Xbox hardware at the time.

Chris_C

cgi trailer maybe

There will almost definitely be a substantial gameplay trailer. The game's been in the works for at least two years and they'll want to get it out this year alongside The Force Awakens.

EDIT: Wrong headspace. For some reason I thought you were talking about a CG trailer for Battlefront.

Hahs

there is definitely gonna be footage e3. there has to be.

Agreed! I'm banking on a Q1/Q4 2016 release, and expect to see something by E3.

EDIT: I'm going to just as well assume that right around the time they project a release, a delay will follow so... I'll say anywhere from Q1 2016 - Q1 2017. Any later wouldn't make sense I think.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That wasn't up to Bioware. They wanted to leave last gen behind.

Edit: Also, getting Inquisition running on last gen hardware was an insanely hard task. Trying to get some third party outside dev to do it would've been suicide.
Bluepoint was able to get Titanfall running on 360.

It's not unheard of for a 3rd party to downport.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Even if they cut anything from ME3, the game was long enough man. It takes me 50 hours to do everything in that game, that is more than enough for an RPG. Any longer and I would never finish it lol.
How could it have possibly have taken you 50 hours to do everything in that game? My first playthrough netted me 31 hours and I did absolutely every single sidequests in the game. Did you wander around the Citadel for hour upon hour?

EDIT: my first playthrough did not include Leviathon, Omega or Citadel. If your playthrough included all those, then yeah I can see 50 hours.

There's probably next to no chance of ME4 coming out this year. IF we get anything at E3 I suspect it would be a CG trailer and perhaps a behind-the-scenes video showing off some early gameplay.

Mass Effect 4 is, at the earliest, a 2016 title.

hydruxo

I've been putting off playing ME3 the last few years because when I beat originally ME2 I lost Garrus and a few others, so that completely put me off from playing through ME3 for a long time. Finally went back this week and ran through the game without losing anyone (Legion and Miranda were disloyal too) in the suicide mission and it felt so good getting through it with everyone still alive. Now I can play ME3 and get the full experience :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I never bet on destructible environments. Thats some stuff that always first on the chopping block.

DOWN

Banned
Hope they try and outclass the Deus Ex Human Revolution CGI trailer, but do recall that BioWare tends to lean toward gameplay outside of maybe a brief teaser and the long famous CGI trailers come closer to launch after we've seen the game a lot.

I never bet on destructible environments. Thats some stuff that always first on the chopping block.
Agreed. Even Battlefield is light on it.
Why does it HAVE to be? It's unlikely that ME4 is coming this year and there shouldn't be a rush to show it.

Watch Dogs is a perfect example of what can go wrong by showing your game too soon.
That game was shown 2 painful cross gen years before release. We already know we're much closer to ME4 release and e3 is within the speculated standard ~1 year minimum for marketing after announcement. Assuming ME4 is a 2016 game, there's nothing rushed about showing it at e3 and after. We also know they get to invest fully in maxing out current tech, unlike Watch Dogs.

It is when the engine is internal only, I suppose. Titanfall isn't from an EA studio, so I'd imagine they had the option to outsource because they weren't on Frostbite.

prag16

Banned
Man. I'll be crushed if all we get is a CGI trailer that provides minimal info (a la the Big Ben ME3 trailer) at E3. :(

I don't think my standards are crazy high. I just want to get some info about the backdrop/premise/timeframe, and a bit of gameplay.

Patryn

I'm under the impression that Inquisition was a bit of a weird middle ground for BioWare, where the game originally started as a last/cross generation title and after numerous delays/revisions finally ended up a Frostbite 3 current generation title. While I'm sure it was a challenge getting the last gen builds working, Inquisition isn't really doing much as a game that strikes me as too demanding for last generation hardware (obviously, given it's on those platforms!).

That's because they cut a bunch of systems that wouldn't work on the last gen systems.

If you look at the early PAX Prime demos of Inquisition, they're doing a lot of stuff like Keep sieges and defenses, and army tactics/battles that Bioware has later come and said were all cut in order to have the game able to run on last-gen machines.

That's why it's a good thing that ME4 will be current gen only. They won't have to compromise in the same way.

DAI isn't Titanfall though.

It used Source which is a common third party engine. There were insane amounts of collaboration between Bioware and DICE given it was their first go around with Frostbite, a proprietary engine. Throwing a third party outside studio into the mix and communication going on a massive game like DAI wasn't in the cards.

That game was shown 2 painful cross gen years before release. We already know we're much closer to ME4 release and e3 is within the speculated standard ~1 year minimum for marketing after announcement. Assuming ME4 is a 2016 game, there's nothing rushed about showing it at e3 and after. We also know they get to invest fully in maxing out current tech, unlike Watch Dogs.
agreed. I think we as fans are due for some footage, preferably gameplay, come e3. but something.

Jake360

Neo Member
So DA I is getting some DLC on Xbox One first. I wonder if this is a one off deal for that particular dlc or if it's something we can expect for furture dlc coming from bioware. I always hate these deals!!

Paganmoon

So DA I is getting some DLC on Xbox One first. I wonder if this is a one off deal for that particular dlc or if it's something we can expect for furture dlc coming from bioware. I always hate these deals!!

EA Partnership with Xbox, expect more of it tbh.

Patryn

Thus far the deal has only been announced as the first story DLC for DA:I.

However, as others have pointed out, EA and MS have been getting cozy.

On the other hand, EA games have been selling best on the PS4, apparently.

Nipo

If a remaster/new entry were to really happy which is more likely:

Remaster announced at E3 due out in 2015 with a teaser for ME4 in 2016

or

Remaster announced to be out in 2016 with ME4 in 2017.

DOWN

Banned
If a remaster/new entry were to really happy which is more likely:

Remaster announced at E3 due out in 2015 with a teaser for ME4 in 2016

or

Remaster announced to be out in 2016 with ME4 in 2017.

First scenario is more likely, IMO. But I think EA and BioWare are beyond teasers. Even Mirror's Edge 2 showed gameplay already. BioWare has shown in-engine renders/protoypes. Battlefront has shown prototypes. They don't seem into simple teasers lately.

Daemul

How could it have possibly have taken you 50 hours to do everything in that game? My first playthrough netted me 31 hours and I did absolutely every single sidequests in the game. Did you wander around the Citadel for hour upon hour?

EDIT: my first playthrough did not include Leviathon, Omega or Citadel. If your playthrough included all those, then yeah I can see 50 hours.

Yeah, I'm counting DLC in that. Vanilla ME3 took me 30 hours, which is still a good length for an RPG, and the DLC added another 20 on top.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
If a remaster is announced at E3 that will include the Beta MP for ME4... well, that would be a good move one would think
pls BioWare.

Patryn

Weren't they polling for features people would want in ME4 on Twitter like a week ago? I assume they're still towards the middle of development if they still have to time to design, architect and implement whole new systems.

Also, as I recall the dancers at Afterlife were mo-capped by strippers, but I don't recall anything else being done that way. Was there extensive mo-capping that I missed, or will this be a new thing for ME4?

Lakitu

st5fu
Weren't they polling for features people would want in ME4 on Twitter like a week ago? I assume they're still towards the middle of development if they still have to time to design, architect and implement whole new systems.

Also, as I recall the dancers at Afterlife were mo-capped by strippers, but I don't recall anything else being done that way. Was there extensive mo-capping that I missed, or will this be a new thing for ME4?

Yeah, I don't recall there being mocap done for the first 3. It kind of felt like that with the animations too but I may be wrong.

Prior ME games also had scenes and some animations done via motion capture. Still, there are some new things happening this time around so it should be a good improvement over the trilogy which, well, I would personally say animations weren't it's strongest point lol.

Patryn

One thing I hope they fix for ME4: Their algorithms for where Shepard should be looking in a scene.

Something I've noticed during this replay of ME3 is that they have Shepard look at somebody, then the person wanders around the scene, so Shepard's head starts turning in ways that are straight out of the Exorcist. Seriously, I'm shocked he hasn't broken his neck dozens of time already.

The worst, and most unintentionally hilarious, is during the first conversation with Liara on the Normandy. At some point both Liara and Shepard are talking face to face, then they look at Glyph who says something before flying behind Shepard. The rest of the conversation proceeds with Shepard doing his best attempt to have his head turn totally backwards, while Liara's is turned almost fully to her side while they attempt to talk to one another. I've seen this scene at least 5 times, and this has happened 4 out of those 5 times.

Honestly, not doing a remaster collection is just leaving money on the table. I bet it happens this fall with ME4 dropping September or October 2016. That's just what I would guess.

I need to replay that trilogy so bad, and I don't know whyyyyyyy

Money on the table is the perfect way of putting it. I'm usually quite patient and frugal when it comes to buying games, but I'd buy a remastered ME trilogy probably day 1 at almost any price. This series, especially the first and third games, are probably my favorite of all time. And even though I own the trilogy on PC, I refuse to play it with keyboard and mouse (where is the official controller support?) And this puts me in a bind, as I've sold both my PS3 and 360 and have no other outlet to play these games any more.

I'm feeling the same way. I am utterly surprised that there weren't any Mass Effect copy cats last gen. I'm hoping that there are more sci fi space opera RPGs in our future...

Check out XCOM: The Bureau its almost like they they took Mass Effects formula and substituted in XCOM lore. Things like the gameplay, dialogue system, and hub are just like Mass Effect.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Check out XCOM: The Bureau its almost like they they took Mass Effects formula and substituted in XCOM lore. Things like the gameplay, dialogue system, and hub are just like Mass Effect.

Is it a good game, though? I kinda forgot it existed, but at one time I was really interested in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom