• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That being said I found combat with the Hammerhead to be significantly less satisfying than the Mako. Hit feedback is shitful, and the environment design while still fun never manages to hit the highs of mountaineering with the Mako.

The HH needs beefing up in terms of hitpoints, maybe an extra 50% or even 100%. They should have re-added the shield meter or what have you so it didn't just seem like you were using armor that magically healed itself.

In terms of offensive capabilities, imo they should have had small missile pods/launchers (that you acquire target locks with) plus a main turret that had a machine-gun. The main gun being a weird missile launcher was kind of shitty and unsatisfying.

But I love the idea of the HH, it's the perfect Mass Effect vehicle. It fits right in with the hovercars, shuttles, flying drones etc that everything uses in the universe. And you felt really fast and agile while you used it.

The Mako coming back makes me want to vomit. The HH was the perfect thing to be improved and brought back.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The Mako coming back makes me want to vomit. The HH was the perfect thing to be improved and brought back.

Gotta love people's ridiculous hyperbole sometimes. How many times did I see the words "Mass Effect" and "vomit" in the same sentence? Think I lost count.

Anyway, everyone know the new Mako won't be like the old one, it's like "duh". Even the look is different.

Of course the new Mako isn't identical to the old one. But it looks like they're taking it out of combat entirely. I'm sad they chose the vastly inferior vehicle to bring in to the new game. High speed hovertank >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dune buggy.

Sou Da

Of course the new Mako isn't identical to the old one. But it looks like they're taking it out of combat entirely. I'm sad they chose the vastly inferior vehicle to bring in to the new game. High speed hovertank >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> dune buggy.

Like there isn't going to be a hidden gun attachment/upgrade.

There may be something else even better in the game :)

DOWN

Banned
Let old characters go. Fan service is what turned N7 into a brand in-universe with hoodies instead of a military class. We need the bold vision of the first game brought into the upper echelon of space operas.

Garrus/Shepard was my favorite friendship, but the internet's fixation on it has played out when it was relevant and I am desperate for them to shed the burdens of molding a quasi-RPG into a shooter and back again. Start fresh, reach for the stars and all that. Not everything the fans say is as sophisticated as the game vision, and that's okay. They don't need an old character to be even a minor role for the franchise to shine again.

Those past characters and fan services are not the center of the universe, the vision is.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Did you ever honestly believe they would? They just said that to quell the fury.

I'd like to offer my somewhat-close-to-the-storm account of how that all went down, if you'll all pardon the lengthy first message in this topic. Please feel free to skip over this if you aren't interested, but I may be able to shed a bit of light on the situation as I recall it going down within the community. I worked on raising awareness of the novel and whatnot.

(Hi everyone, I'm new to NeoGAF and such. Looking forward to chatting with y'all over the coming months, presuming I don't do anything clumsy and lose my spot here or something. And shinobi, as a long-time poster in the twitter thread on BioWare's forums, thanks for all you've brought to us.)

Ahem, right, sorry. Just felt obligatory.

So yeah. Deception. When it arrived, we were all floored at how many discrepancies were in there. Like, I'm no "canonista" by any stretch. If things need to get changed here and there in a franchise I adore for the betterment and enrichment of a scenario, so long as it doesn't just utterly pull the rug over everyone's heads, I say hell, go for it. But Deception, in addition to being badly written and in some cases maybe even a little bit offensive (altering a character who was officially autistic in Karpyshyn's works so that she was instead "just going through a teenage phase" as per the new author) was also averaging over two blatant lore discrepancies per page. It was really, really weird. Basically within 30-40 pages everyone on BioWare's forums who had begun reading the novel was realizing that it was almost easier to believe William C. Dietz was doing this intentionally.

So we got together and started that infamous Google document chronicling the bizarre endless string of mistakes. I compiled the main thread on their site and pressed the mods I knew (as did other posters; not that this is the sort of thing I'd think people would want to try to take full credit for on the internet anyway, I should hope, but I do want to be clear that it was very much a joint effort) about maybe piecing together how this could have even been released in the first place. It was compounded by the increasing frustration some fans felt after Casey Hudson tweeted, a few days prior to its street date, that he had just finished reading Deception and that it was great and Kai Leng was a badass. Which... well, I'm sure most of y'all are well and truly familiar with how that went.

Eventually, after a few news sites picked up on the Google document, BioWare stepped in and said there'd be a rewrite. It wasn't given an ETA of any sort. I love some of the people in that company dearly, but I could kind of smell the fake in the wind on that one. I remember confiding to a couple of fellow fans that I'd honestly be surprised if it happened, because the way in which they made the claim was just so open-ended. It was this sort of, "we're looking into it, and will begin the process." But in such vague terms. Mass Effect 3 was around the corner and they needed desperately to avoid even supplemental negativity like this.

Ultimately what I think happened was that their marketing wing analyzed the impact, noted current sales of the book, estimated just how niche an audience this would involve satisfying, hedged their bets that ME3 would leave a far stronger instant impression (I can't get enough of the game, personally, but needless to say, "lawl") and moved on. Quietly. Assertively.

And the truth of the matter is, the discussion only gets raised so often, even on BioWare's forums. Every now and then, a new thread pops up. "What ever happened to Deception's rewrite?" It gets around ten posts, half of which are angst over how that "plan" evaporated. And then it exits stage left.

Caboose

I don't care how they do it, I don't care how they have to explain it/handwave it, I want my bro Garrus back in the next one.

I don't care how they do it, I don't care how they have to explain it/handwave it, I want my bro Garrus back in the next one.

Let_it_go.gif

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I'm hopeful for a new salarian squadmate, too, after one of the lead developers expressed their personal awe at how good those beautiful bastards allegedly look on the new engine.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
All new squad mates, no returning characters please.

We'll probably get a new Turian. And that's ok.

Garrus got too sycophantic anyways. The question is do you actually think they will not bring anyone back?

I wonder if with all new models we will lose female Turians due to resource allocation.

I'm hopeful for a new salarian squadmate, too, after one of the lead developers expressed their personal awe at how good those beautiful bastards allegedly look on the new engine.
Both Salarian squad members in the old trilogy are among the best characters in the series, so a new one would be a fine thing.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
I'm trying to not see any other posts because I know they may contain major spoilers. I'm going through my first play through of 1-3 and I'm loving the hell out of the series. I'm on the second game right now and I saw that there is DLC that you can buy. I don't know which ones to get, if any. All I really care about is the story. I should mention that I buy my copy used for xbox 360 and the code that came with it has already been used. So whatever that unlocks, I haven't played it/seen it.

So help a man out, GAF. Which DLC should I get for ME2?

In all honesty, I would buy none, or the bare minimum currently (hear me out):

1st playtrough: Vanilla Trilogy - No DLC - just enjoy the original stories.
If you want the bare bones essential ones, go for: Lair, Leviathan+EC and From Ashes

2nd playthrough (this is part wishful thinking): Remastered version current gen with ALL DLC, trust me... this will be glorious for you good sir/madame.

In the event of a Remaster not happening (I'd wait till at least E3 to see, BioWare pls): buy all the DLC for your 2nd glorious playthrough, it will feel like a new game, and you will love yourself for playing it a second time (or fourth/fifth/tenth...etc).

The aforementioned fourth/fifth/tenth time are greatly enhanced with ALL of the weapon/armor DLCs too, and IMO: worth it for the best dang' video game trilogy of all time.

Are any of the Mass Effect books worth a read?

I don't read that many novels, and I found them all (except Deception) to be amazing.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I had no idea who that was, I had to Google him. You let Mordin die in ME2?

I had a save where he did (he is actually the most likely to die) that I made so I could encounter Wiks because people were saying he was secretly amazing. Its a shame he was mostly gated behind the death of the best character in the series but I respect making the replacement a quality character instead of some throw away.

Clearly somebody hasn't read the Crysis 2 one, which was better than the actual game it was attached to. Of course, Peter Watts is a "real" sci-fi author who was kinda slumming it doing a crysis novelization, but whatever.
Well, I never played any of the Crysis games.
I once made the colossal mistake of reading a Splinter Cell tie-in novel. It's the only book I ever destroyed.

Mindlog

Are any of the Mass Effect books worth a read?
I've read them all.
Unless you are really desperate for more Mass Effect then not really. There's little actual background for the games and the story thread in the novels conclude in a manner that makes the Mass Effect 3 ending look like a work of genius.

Deception is unintentionally funny throughout.

chiliboy

I have no idea if this is real, but we all know the remaster is coming.

such releases really have no interest for me if I have already played the game, but I think ME might be different. I hope they include the ME3 mulitplayer, it was surprisingly great.

Looks like they mocked up the cover themselves. I do not yet believe.

It looks like the cover from the PC trilogy version:
https://www.origin.com/sv-se/store/buy/mass-effect-1-2-3/pc-download/bundle/standard-edition

1431198.jpg

But yeah take it with some salt..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom