• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I don't think anyone expected for Me4 to be released in 2015. I just don't think it is unreasonable to believe that it could release next year, even early next year.
Shinobi just said early next year is not happening. It's not happening. Completely unreasonable to believe it will happen early next year.

DOWN

Banned
Shinobi just said early next year is not happening. It's not happening. Completely unreasonable to believe it will happen early next year.

I'm not seeing that quote. Mind pointing it out? I don't expect it in "early" 2016 anymore, but what is "early" and where was it ruled out to the point of being "unreasonable."

Bought the trilogy for ps3 last week for like 30 bucks. I am actually surprised how good the facial animations are. I actually really like taking a moment to tailor what decision I would really make if I was Shepard.

DOWN

Banned
Bought the trilogy for ps3 last week for like 30 bucks. I am actually surprised how good the facial animations are. I actually really like taking a moment to tailor what decision I would really make if I was Shepard.

I was much nicer as Shepard than as the Inquisitor. My Inquisitor was a bit more House of Cards / Game of Thrones. Good guy, bad day.

Guri

There is also Mirror's Edge. That has a 2016 release date planned. Maybe in May, if I were to guess. That leaves Battlefield 5 and New Mass Effect for later. Not sure if EA sees that as they competing with each other or not.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Eyes in ME3 aren't as good as in ME2, but yeah, facial animations are pretty good.

Never found the facial animations that good in general to be honest, often goes from decent to soulless look in the eyes(like when a character turn their head, but the eyes stay centered), although there is some instances where it's nicely done.

Like that animation of Joker doing the robot in ME2, wish i could find a bigger gif

joker-robot-o.gif

Never found the facial animations that good in general to be honest, often goes from decent to soulless look in the eyes(like when a character turn their head, but the eyes stay centered), although there is some instances where it's nicely done.

Like that animation of Joker doing the robot in ME2, wish i could find a bigger gif

joker-robot-o.gif

I'm playing ME2 again and just did the Kasumi DLC quest today. The facial animations on her are kind of shockingly well done, especially when she smiles. That can look really goofy in games.

Toa TAK

Banned

joker-robot-o.gif
This is one of my favorites, though. Shepard's face lol

Banned
Has there been any word on if they plan to do a second trilogy or carry over saves and variables like the Shepard trilogy? That kind of stuff is the trademark of mass effect but it's sounding like this will be a standalone game. I was hoping for a new trilogy.

Has there been any word on if they plan to do a second trilogy or carry over saves and variables like the Shepard trilogy? That kind of stuff is the trademark of mass effect but it's sounding like this will be a standalone game. I was hoping for a new trilogy.
i think this is what they're gonna do, but I think it's stupid how they're opting not to call it Me4.

dunno if it's been posted
http://epn.tv/all/type-of/news/biow...mass-effect-as-mass-effect-4-is-a-disservice/

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Saves will not carry over.
I couldn't be more grateful for that.

Nobody knows anything about the story of mass effect 4 at this time. Other than that it will be completely separate from the Shepard trilogy,

Why is it "stupid?"

If anything it is much smarter to not call it ME4. Such a title implies it is connected to the Shepard trilogy.
I disagree.

while shepard was a vital part of the story in the first 3 games, he didn't equate to the entire ME universe. Me4 is totally appropriate, and it is stupid to call that naming a disservice to shepard.

Since they're not doing the Shepard trilogy reboot is this implying it's going to be at least taking place hundred or so years in the future?

As I doubt very seriously Bioware is ballsy enough to make an ME game without humans as the future is the ONLY possible way they could go.

i-Lo

BTW: Does anyone else find the portrayal of assassin Kai Leng's choice of weapon, stereotypical and his design (the eye piece),
unintentionally
racist?

I never thought about till someone I know brought it up some days ago.

BTW: Does anyone else find the portrayal of assassin Kai Leng's choice of weapon, stereotypical and his design (the eye piece),
unintentionally
racist?

I didn't think of it that that way. kai leng just looked like a mastered phantom (cerberus class enemy) who was just of asian origin. but I think i read he was part russian as well.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I suppose if it is a new series of games (as in, a fresh story arc involving a new setting, cast, and hook) they might feel titling it "Mass Effect 4" implies strict canonical continuation of the Shepard trilogy. Even if it's the fourth Mass Effect, they might feel giving it a subtitle (and subsequent sequenced subtitles) helps differentiate it from the last arc.

i-Lo

I didn't think of it that that way. kai leng just looked like a mastered phantom (cerberus class enemy) who was just of asian origin. but I think i read he was part russian as well.

I really am having trouble with that eye piece though... it's like, "let's give his visor slits".

I really am having trouble with that eye piece though... it's like, "let's give his visor slits".
yeah I didn't think about that until now so I guess one could look at that as unintentionally racist. it's not like the visor with those slits were just on kai leng, a lot of different characters could sport them and it just so happened to be on this villain that they decided to have had with asian ethnic background.

unintentionally
racist?

Nah.

Kai Leng's problem was that Bioware clearly was hoping that he'd be the breakout villain of the series and tried too hard to make him "cool".

What a colossal fuck up that was.

Bisnic

Nah.

Kai Leng's problem was that Bioware clearly was hoping that he'd be the breakout villain of the series and tried too hard to make him "cool".

What a colossal fuck up that was.

Introducing a new villain in the last game of a trilogy wasn't a good idea at all, right. I mean, we already had the Reapers + their minions and the Illusive Man + Cerberus troops, was that guy really necessary?

androvsky

unintentionally
racist?

I figured Bioware had trouble modeling asian faces. Between him and Kasumi's hood always covering her eyes, I'm not sure I recall any other asians in the games. I've only played through the trilogy once, so I'm sure I'm missing someone (possibly major).

Maledict

Honestly, what on *earth* was going through their heads at that point? Introduce a character in the third episode of a series, when we already have amazing villians and antagonists (ILlusive Man, Harbringer, Saren, Sovereign). Don't give him *any* development or interaction with the main character. Repeatedly give him magic plot armour shields. Have him send you stupid 13 year old trolling emails?

It's honestly like a really, rally bad fan-fic character inserted into the game. When he dies I didn't feel relish after defeating my nemesis, I felt relief because he would no longer be shitting up the game in such a dreadful, dreadful way.

Given how *well* the characters were in ME3 outside of him, Mordin and Thane in particular, he really stands out like a sore thumb. I cannot believe that the same people who wrote those characters also came up with Kai Leng.

Easily the worse written character in a Bioware game, ever.

I figured Bioware had trouble modeling asian faces. Between him and Kasumi's hood always covering her eyes, I'm not sure I recall any other asians in the games. I've only played through the trilogy once, so I'm sure I'm missing someone (possibly major).
engineer adams looked asian to me as well.

Honestly, what on *earth* was going through their heads at that point? Introduce a character in the third episode of a series, when we already have amazing villians and antagonists (ILlusive Man, Harbringer, Saren, Sovereign). Don't give him *any* development or interaction with the main character. Repeatedly give him magic plot armour shields. Have him send you stupid 13 year old trolling emails?

It's honestly like a really, rally bad fan-fic character inserted into the game. When he dies I didn't feel relish after defeating my nemesis, I felt relief because he would no longer be shitting up the game in such a dreadful, dreadful way.

Given how *well* the characters were in ME3 outside of him, Mordin and Thane in particular, he really stands out like a sore thumb. I cannot believe that the same people who wrote those characters also came up with Kai Leng.

Easily the worse written character in a Bioware game, ever.
Yup.

I think it'd be interesting if Kai Leng was a squad mate in ME2 and then he betrayed you in the third game due to indoctrination, making it even more personal/tragic depending on what backstory they would've gave him.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Introducing a new villain in the last game of a trilogy wasn't a good idea at all, right. I mean, we already had the Reapers + their minions and the Illusive Man + Cerberus troops, was that guy really necessary?

I feared for my cereal.

Toa TAK

Banned
Fuck Kai Legless. The only good thing to come out of that fight were Shepard's taunts.

Still bummed we didn't get a proper finish for Harbinger. :mad:

Ein Bear

this. I wasn't fond at all of them making the illusive man the main villain instead of harbinger.

I really didn't like what they did with the Illusive Man in ME3.

He was a really interesting character in ME2. You never really trusted the guy, but a lot of what he said made sense in a shades-of-grey, 'greater good' sort of way, and it was intriguing to try and think what his true motivations could be.

Having him wind up an indoctrinated, straight-up villain was about the most boring thing they could have done with the character.

Zolo

Too much of a focus on Cerberus and not other groups in the galaxy did alot to really hurt the series in my opinion. Not to mention, it still continues in the comics and novels.

He was a really interesting character in ME2. You never really trusted the guy, but a lot of what he said made sense in a shades-of-grey, 'greater good' sort of way, and it was intriguing to try and think what his true motivations could be.

Having him wind up an indoctrinated, straight-up villain was about the most boring thing they could have done with the character.

Strongly agree. That was my biggest gripe with ME3.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
BioWare is the patron saint of uninspired narrative/character resolution. Inquisition at least provides a refreshing, interesting perspective and insight into the fade. Solas was a breath of fresh air like Legion and Javik.

agreed. what they did with him is arguably most cliche and expected, too. He was more interesting in Me2.

BioWare is the patron saint of uninspired narrative/character resolution. Inquisition at least provides a refreshing, interesting perspective and insight into the fade. Solas was a breath of fresh air like Legion and Javik.

You mean ME2 Legion.

Even though Rannoch is one of the better parts of ME3, the resolution to the Geth subplot(if you side with them or broker peace) is really boring.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
You mean ME2 Legion.

Even though Rannoch is one of the better parts of ME3, the resolution to the Geth subplot(if you side with them or broker peace) is really boring.

I thought it was ruinous. Pretty much just dropped the megaserver station so they could introduce hamfist "isnt individuality great" bullshit.

Emily Wong
Samesh Bhatia
Fai Dan
Jeong
Maeko Matsuo

There are probably more, but those names came to mind.

Banned
I didn't mean saves carry over from shepards trilogy. I meant, are they planning on a mass effect 4, 5, and 6 and will those have saves carrying over or will ME4 just be a standalone game and ME5 won't let you import a save for it?

Bisnic

I didn't mean saves carry over from shepards trilogy. I meant, are they planning on a mass effect 4, 5, and 6 and will those have saves carrying over or will ME4 just be a standalone game and ME5 won't let you import a save for it?

I don't think they've talked about this yet. It's part of what made Mass Effect in the original trilogy, so it would make sense to do the same thing again, but yet, they failed to realize its full potential in the past. Maybe because of time constraints, or maybe because of limited possibilities with the hardware or staff experience...so maybe they won't bother trying again, who knows.

I fucking hated that when ME3 started you're back with the useless Alliance instead of Cerberus and then never get the option to join them because they're suddenly 'lol super-evil'.

Mass Effect 3 was like all the Star Wars prequels blended into one for me plot-wise and I'm saying that as someone who really hates the prequels.

Toa TAK

Banned
I still don't think they explained how Cerberus was able to gain a MASSIVE army capable of fucking with the entire galaxy

LOL I think they hand-waved it as a lot of volunteers to their cause, if I remember correctly.

It's still silly, even for Mass Effect.

I love how randomly they showed up during Sur'kesh as well for Urdnot Bakara as well. Like, no explanation beyond that.

EDIT: Speaking of T.I.M. Even Harbinger was more interesting in ME2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom