• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lakitu

st5fu
Can't believe it's potentially newly two weeks until we get a reveal for the next Mass Effect.

Rewatching the E3 2014 footage.

Can't believe it's potentially newly two weeks until we get a reveal for the next Mass Effect.

Rewatching the E3 2014 footage.
you mean the 2 min clip of concept stuff?

the biggest eye catcher to me was the galaxy map. but again it could be nothing more than concept art. if it is something more, then it lends credence to that reddit leak.

I bought Mass Effect digital on 360 for, like, $3 and have yet to get even a hour into it. It looks like every other one after the first has better environments and whatnot, characters all stay the same through it all? Or am I picking a new one each time? I want to play through it in preparation of 2,3 and hopefully 4 but it seems so plane and dated to play today.
You can play your Shepard through all three games. Your relationships with your squad mates and key decisions carry over as well.

Patryn

I bought Mass Effect digital on 360 for, like, $3 and have yet to get even a hour into it. It looks like every other one after the first has better environments and whatnot, characters all stay the same through it all? Or am I picking a new one each time? I want to play through it in preparation of 2,3 and hopefully 4 but it seems so plane and dated to play today.

Not only do characters stay the same, you will import your Shepard into the later games in the original trilogy.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Pretty much, but there's nothing to be gained by complaining. Nothing is going to change.

Best you can do is try to incite conversation.

If a remaster is announced, I suspect this thread will pick up.

Or rather that the discussion will be moved to whatever new thread will be created. :p

Pretty much, but there's nothing to be gained by complaining. Nothing is going to change.

Best you can do is try to incite conversation.

If a remaster is announced, I suspect this thread will pick up.
na...there's definitely just going to be another thread made in the regular section, like bisnic said.

Plasma

Banned
Meanwhile, ME sounds like just the right thing. But I'm going to hold strong and wait for E3. On the chance they do announce a remaster, I want to have had a long break from the series before diving back in.

Same, if a remaster doesn't get announced I'm going to run through the trilogy again this summer before MGSV comes out.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
or...
get the remastered versions when and if they release, if you've got a new gen console ;)

PS4 in the house so that'd be neat :). But I'm a bit conflicted on a remaster. I wonder how far they will go with it. Just a visual update and bundle all that DLC? Or tweak the gameplay too, such as the improved cover/gunplay from 2/3 applied to 1, stuff like that. If they'd go all-out with updating/improving the gameplay, I'm interested. A spruced-up re-release? Not so much. Also, fine with me if it's an seperate team handling it, but if it delays my ME4 fix, then no, please just hurry up with new spacecrack :)

PS4 in the house so that'd be neat :). But I'm a bit conflicted on a remaster. I wonder how far they will go with it. Just a visual update and bundle all that DLC? Or tweak the gameplay too, such as the improved cover/gunplay from 2/3 applied to 1, stuff like that. If they'd go all-out with updating/improving the gameplay, I'm interested. A spruced-up re-release? Not so much. Also, fine with me if it's an seperate team handling it, but if it delays my ME4 fix, then no, please just hurry up with new spacecrack :)
there's been numerous discussion in this
(now dead)
thread, and from it all I think the remaster will consist of just 1080p/60fps. Maybe some upped res's, but nothing more than that.

And for Ps4 I had the idea of putting a finger on the touchpad to bring up the powerwheel, running your finger around to the power you want and then pressing down the touchpad to select & use it. I thought that'd be neat.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
If a remaster is announced, a new thread will get a new crowd I guess. So would a reveal of ME4. Soit, dumping old threads in the community ghetto to die then sorta defeats the purpose but there will always be some thread available to discuss the series with other aficionados.

Patryn

Expecting anything too extravagant from a remaster is setting yourself up for failure.

For instance, bringing anything from the ME2 or ME3 combat system to ME1 would basically entail redesigning that game from the ground up, which would be way too expensive and I'd honestly rather they spend those resources making a kickass ME4.

I'd expect a potential remaster to simply be better textures, (hopefully) better performance and all the DLC packaged together.

I'd also add that endlessly complaining or saying that this thread is dead does nothing to help it, and it's getting really annoying.

Renae

Gamers are really paradoxal, we yell about remasters on PS4/XBO, but we all wait a ME Trilogy on these consoles :) (while ME Trilogy has better arguments than others because of the DLCs which are really expensive on PS3/360)

Patryn

Gamers are really paradoxal, we yell about remasters on PS4/XBO, but we all wait a ME Trilogy on these consoles :) (while ME Trilogy has better arguments than others because of the DLCs which are really expensive on PS3/360)

I suppose it helps that we know that a new Mass Effect game is in the works. I think for a lot of remasters people are worried that all they're getting is a remaster instead of a new entry in the series (I'm looking at YOU Capcom).

diaspora

I suppose it helps that we know that a new Mass Effect game is in the works. I think for a lot of remasters people are worried that all they're getting is a remaster instead of a new entry in the series (I'm looking at YOU Capcom).

A 1080p port to XB and PS4 would probably outsourced so it's not as though we'd be missing out on new Bioware content anyway. TBH the biggest tragedy of the ME series is missing out on potentially interesting lore and story paths by delving into the history of races in previous cycles. I would have loved to learn more about the Metacon War, Arthenn, Densorin, Inusannon, Oravores, Thoi'han, Zeioph, and the machine Zha'til.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Which is the absolute stupidest argument in existence.

While publishers make questionable decisions all the time, there is no way that they are dumb enough to think that re-releasing old games will generate enough revenue to keep them afloat. New games are what drive the industry and remasters are a nice option for those who want to play their old games with better graphics.

With the possible exception of GTAV, I seriously doubt any of the remasters sold anything more than a fraction of a moderately successful new game.

Although, Metro Redux deservedly sold 1.5M copies, which to me is a PHENOMENAL success for a remaster.

diaspora

Ultimately, they're just ports sometimes done by an outsourced dev for easy money. Good for those who invest in non-backward compat systems, irrelevant to everyone else. Not something to get mad about.

Patryn

Which is the absolute stupidest argument in existence.

While publishers make questionable decisions all the time, there is no way that they are dumb enough to think that re-releasing old games will generate enough revenue to keep them afloat. New games are what drive the industry and remasters are a nice option for those who want to play their old games with better graphics.

With the possible exception of GTAV, I seriously doubt any of the remasters sold anything more than a fraction of a moderately successful new game.

Although, Metro Redux deservedly sold 1.5M copies, which to me is a PHENOMENAL success for a remaster.

You HAVE seen Capcom's future plans, right? I'm not kidding.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
You HAVE seen Capcom's future plans, right? I'm not kidding.
I honestly pay no attention to Capcom, I did not buy a single title from them last gen and haven't even come close this gen.

I do know that the next Street Fighter is PS exclusive.

That's the extent of my knowledge, but I still stand by my comment that publishers that matter are smart enough to know that new games are where the real revenue is. Remasters are seen by them as safe and easy supplemental income. You're not gonna make a living on it, but the additional money made can be used for other things,

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
That will 100% not happen.

In regards to a remaster what you should reasonable expect:
1. Stability (some ports/remasters have been terrible. Specifically those done by High Voltage Studios)
2. 1080p/60fps
3. All DLC

Anything more is a bonus.

I just want gamepad controls on PC...

There's a modder out there that has released a gamepad mod for ME2 and is hard at work polishing off ME3 and ME3 MP. There's a beta for ME3 SP out now. When he's done with ME3, then he'll do the original.

It's exciting and cool, but part of me prefers using Pinnacle Game Profiler because you can create a shift key to get access to more than 3 powers at a time, kinda like how Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition use the gamepad.

There's a modder out there that has released a gamepad mod for ME2 and is hard at work polishing off ME3 and ME3 MP. There's a beta for ME3 SP out now. When he's done with ME3, then he'll do the original.

It's exciting and cool, but part of me prefers using Pinnacle Game Profiler because you can create a shift key to get access to more than 3 powers at a time, kinda like how Dragon Age 2 and Inquisition use the gamepad.

Yeah, I tried his ME:2 mod... The analog controls get stuck as if the mouse is at the far edge of the screen and there are menus that don't have hotkeys to get back out of so you have the alt-tab and close the game. It works well enough as long as you know what menus to avoid and don't mind wonky controls, I guess.... but there's no reason Bioware can't release an official patch using the 360 assets. Hell, this game was ported FROM the 360 and the official support was removed... It just doesn't make any sense.

Bisnic

Shepard would be proud.

8fzpTt0.jpg

Patryn

Wonder if they could add face codes for ME1. They could stand to fix some of the graphical issues in ME1, like the self-shadows.

Hopefully re-render the FMVs @ 1080p as well, but 60fps for those might be too much disc space across the 3 games.

I honestly think there may be a chance for Face Codes for ME1.

Depending how they did things, it could be relatively minor work, as all the face codes translate to is literally the setting for each slider in order.

Of course, the code could also be total nonsense and thus make it more than a non-trivial task, and asking for anything beyond what Johnny listed is unlikely.

I just think of all the possible additions, face codes is among the more likely.

diaspora

If it exists, it'll be 1080p, 50-60fps and probably contain DLC. I can't think of anything else they'll add or care to add
(people will buy it even if it was 720p 30fps, why do more?)

kpzero

Neo Member
For those interested, Amazon currently has the digital PC Trilogy for $8.99.

Plus the 81 for the DLC comes to 90 which is so annoying.

Patryn

So if a remaster is coming would this more likely be at EA's conference or Sony/Microsoft's?

EA's, without a doubt.

I have a feeling that Sony and Microsoft would rather focus on new games, thus they'd be more inclined to attempt to get their hands on a Mass Effect 4 demo.

Bisnic

Is there really 0 teasing tweets from Bioware about the upcoming reveal of Mass Effect at E3?

Bisnic

I meant specifically in the last few days. And yeah, not just the usual "wow Mako flying over a rocky moon cliff in glorious graphics is awesome guys!" tweets. :p

diaspora

TBH I don't expect this to drop until 2016, though I don't mind as long as we get DAI story expansions.
wolf hunt when

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom