• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I wouldn't read too much into the Asari. Mass Effect as a franchise isn't hard sci fi. It was built as a homage to and hodge podge of classic pulpy sci fi ideas from TV series, books, film, and so on. IIRC the art book states the Asari were conceptualised as the team wanted to add a typical "attractive all female alien species" to the series as seen in so many sci fi. The tentacles on their head were stylised to look like wet hair swept back.

EA is not exactly well liked. There is a reason they won "worst company" Several years in a row. They don't exactly make consumer friendly decisions.

At the end of the day who knows what their real reason was.

Granted, I am not ready to say that the book is closed on a remaster, but if they do it, it will probably be a while.

Either way, EAs handling of Mass Effect DLC is about as frustrating as it gets, since they NEVER go on sale for PC.

For me though, I am at that point in this gen where I have little interest in revisiting Mass Effect. I did buy the Uncharted trilogy and as much as I liked those games when they came out I was a little disappointed at how little nostalgia there actually was for them.
you said you would finally close the book for good after next year's e3 yeah?

I agree with you about uncharted though. The only nostalgia I'd feel playing it would be for Uc2 and even then when I see comparison shots I don't see a huge difference in quality since it already looked so good on PS3. That's off topic though

The Crucible also had the effect of temporarily revealing the Asari for what they always were. Some Asari head tentacles are actually penises. During procreation it is now possible for the Asari to either carry the child or squirt their seed all over their partner's stomach. The seed immediately melds with the host's exterior slowly growing into a womb and eventually 14 months later a beautiful Asari baby is born. Whether an Asari becomes pregnant or their partner bears the seed is completely up to chance. Non-Asari females do not become traditionally pregnant. They are subject to the same external womb that all non-Asari males experience when they become pregnant.
Asari were always fishy. Good thing I always romanced humans in the game. lol

idk how steam works but an old friend of mine recently told me he got Me1&2 deluxe for 8.75. i asked him about dlc and he said you have to buy it directly from bioware.

You don't have to install Origin to buy DLC for ME1&2 in Steam. You have to install Origin to buy and play ME3 or any of its DLC.
so only for the third game? my friend said he bought the first and second games "deluxe" but the dlc he would have to buy from bioware

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I'm not sure how it works at the moment, but Mass Effect / Mass Effect 2 were released before Origin, so acquiring the DLC involved using your BioWare account, buying from the BioWare/EA store, and downloading the install files manually. Now Origin has streamlined it all. It's mandatory for Mass Effect 3, but I don't think it's mandatory for Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2. If you have them on Steam and you want to use Origin you can activate pretty much any EA game CD Key (including Steam digital) on your Origin account.

dr_rus

so only for the third game? my friend said he bought the first and second games "deluxe" but the dlc he would have to buy from bioware

ME1 DLC (BDtS) is free for all PC game owners although you have to do a lot of crap to get them working (register your key in Bioware system and/or redeem the same key in Origin).

ME2 DLC is sold from Bioware directly regardless of where you've bought the game - in Steam or in Origin.

ME3 DLC is sold through Origin as addons to the main game.

ME1 DLC (BDtS) is free for all PC game owners although you have to do a lot of crap to get them working (register your key in Bioware system and/or redeem the same key in Origin).

ME2 DLC is sold from Bioware directly regardless of where you've bought the game - in Steam or in Origin.

ME3 DLC is sold through Origin as addons to the main game.
thanks. Man, what I would give to just have all those games bundled with dlc...

goishen

I got the Cerberus edition of ME2, came with like Zaeed, Kasumi, a whole bunch of armors and weapons from Steam.

It wasn't until my third play through that I decided to look at all that stuff. If I remember right, I had to go to BioWare's site, enter in the serial number and then I could download them from BioWare's site.

It's a major PITA though, I'd rather have them all on Origin and be done with it.

I got the Cerberus edition of ME2, came with like Zaeed, Kasumi, a whole bunch of armors and weapons from Steam.

It wasn't until my third play through that I decided to look at all that stuff. If I remember right, I had to go to BioWare's site, enter in the serial number and then I could download them from BioWare's site.

It's a major PITA though, I'd rather have them all on Origin and be done with it.
cerberus edition just a certain way to buy it on steam?

this reminds me. bioware never released a collector's edition of Me2 on Ps3, just the standard with the dlc. lame.

DallasNZ

Neo Member
a7mwhSW.jpg

EatChildren

Going by the preview on the app store, they don't seem to know anything new, and are more just summarising what is known and speculating based on artwork and teases.

It was always slated for Holiday 2016 afaik. No reason to believe it won't deliver.

Coulda sworn it was slated for early 2016 at first, huh.

We got our first sneak look in... god, 2014. That tiny snippet at E3.

Holiday 2016 sounds completely believable. This is Bioware, not Remedy. They delay, but it's not an inevitability.

Squire

Banned
People thought Drsgon Age wouldn't make 2014, but BioWare actually finished it early and barring some glitches here and there, it worked, too.

But I get it. It's cool to post "LOL 2016" in relation to everything.

People thought Drsgon Age wouldn't make 2014, but BioWare actually finished it early and barring some glitches here and there, it worked, too.

But I get it. It's cool to post "LOL 2016" in relation to everything.
i don't follow dragon age but has it also had a history of delays?

Squire

Banned
i don't follow dragon age but has it also had a history of delays?

No. Mass Effect hasn't either though. ME3 was pushed back by three months, but people play it up like it was a year.

Franchise history is irrelevant though. The style of development that produced Inquisition is the same one that's producing Andromeda now. It's a far better comparison than ME3 or anything else they've made.

No. Mass Effect hasn't either though. ME3 was pushed back by three months, but people play it up like it was a year.

Franchise history is irrelevant though. The style of development that produced Inquisition is the same one that's producing Andromeda now. It's a far better comparison than ME3 or anything else they've made.
Me2 was delayed too. it was supposed to come out the same month as Uc2 but it got delayed 3 months, same as Me3.

but yeah. I feel like everybody is saying Me4 will get delayed because ME games and big AAA games in general just get delayed.

diaspora

Honestly, playing Alpha Protocol right now, I wouldn't mind the game having an option for a timed dialogue wheel where you don't get to study for like 5 minutes what the best option for a response would be. I think it would do the conversations a lot of good.

edit: Speaking of which, AP's system that offers different bonuses for both positive and negative rapports with people seems similar to DA2's friendship/rivalry system which I thought was always a good idea if not that well executed.

Honestly, playing Alpha Protocol right now, I wouldn't mind the game having an option for a timed dialogue wheel where you don't get to study for like 5 minutes what the best option for a response would be. I think it would do the conversations a lot of good.

edit: Speaking of which, AP's system that offers different bonuses for both positive and negative rapports with people seems similar to DA2's friendship/rivalry system which I thought was always a good idea if not that well executed.
nahhh I wouldn't dig that. I think it would be cool if they adopted a little bit from da3 where you see how others feel about the decisions you make.

Melchiah

No timers please. That would just mean going back to a previous save all the time.

Sou Da

RTwP games don't need/shouldn't have timed conversations.

RTwP games don't need/shouldn't have timed conversations.

I kind of like it in principle (forces conversations to have a semi-natural flow, creates a little pressure which can force roleplaying to be more of a consideration), but the 3 things I really want ME:A to change about the dialogue wheel are: bring in DA:I's emotion/reaction wheel, add more skill/class/background checks, and try to tone down the number of Paragon/Renegade persuades. I don't want an ME2 situation where going full good or full evil is necessary to get the best ending.

Sou Da

I kind of like it in principle (forces conversations to have a semi-natural flow, creates a little pressure which can force roleplaying to be more of a consideration), but the 3 things I really want ME:A to change about the dialogue wheel are: bring in DA:I's emotion/reaction wheel, add more skill/class/background checks, and try to tone down the number of Paragon/Renegade persuades. I don't want an ME2 situation where going full good or full evil is necessary to get the best ending.
Agreed with exception to P/R. Just get rid of it completely.

Agreed with exception to P/R. Just get rid of it completely.

Nah.

I think a modification to the ME3 system could work. Replace Renown (or whatever the new primary stat was) with one or two other (separate) bars, and have a Paragon/Renegade option available to each. So, say, if there's a Reputation (indicating how trustworthy you've proven yourself to be) and a Renown one (how well known you are), you might have a Renown persuade option where you can either take a Paragon or Renegade tone depending on your levels of each, plus maybe a neutral one.

Divorce Paragon/Renegade from mechanical outcomes.

Sou Da

Nah.

I think a modification to the ME3 system could work. Replace Renown (or whatever the new primary stat was) with one or two other (separate) bars, and have a Paragon/Renegade option available to each. So, say, if there's a Reputation (indicating how trustworthy you've proven yourself to be) and a Renown one (how well known you are), you might have a Renown persuade option where you can either take a Paragon or Renegade tone depending on your levels of each, plus maybe a neutral one.

Divorce Paragon/Renegade from mechanical outcomes.

What purpose does P/R serve besides brand recognition? To encourage judgmental writing?

diaspora

I was thinking having Paragon/Renegade scores affect your stats instead.

Edit: DA2's friendship/rivalry is a good place to start. It affects the writing but doesn't give you an inherently better or worse story.

What purpose does P/R serve besides brand recognition? To encourage judgmental writing?

Well, brand identity is a definite factor, it's true. But the idea I outlined above makes it an interesting part of the roleplaying, much like D&D's Alignment system is, if handled correctly.

I was thinking having Paragon/Renegade scores affect your stats instead.

Ehhhh, not really a fan of that idea.

EatChildren

Paragon/Renegade are busted concepts. In Mass Effect they were an attempt at a Persuasion/Charisma-like stat check in a game that didn't have enough involved conversational questing branches (like a true CRPG), and in Mass Effect 2/3 they just leaned exclusively on either one or the other for maximum gameplay options. It's like the dumbest binary dilution of good/evil pacifist/aggressor coupled with game systems that actively encourage you commit 100% to one or the other.

I'm happy for it to be in on paper, and I'm sure it will be because it's a series staple, but it really needs an overhaul to constitute as a valuable gameplay system.

Renegade/paragon should be an abstract measure of behaviour devoid of number checks for use and instead represented through resonate game experience (eg: characters, enemies, etc), as that's the way morality flows.

Paragon/Renegade are busted concepts. In Mass Effect they were an attempt at a Persuasion/Charisma-like stat check in a game that didn't have enough involved conversational questing branches (like a true CRPG), and in Mass Effect 2/3 they just leaned exclusively on either one or the other for maximum gameplay options. It's like the dumbest binary dilution of good/evil pacifist/aggressor coupled with game systems that actively encourage you commit 100% to one or the other.

I'm happy for it to be in on paper, and I'm sure it will be because it's a series staple, but it really needs an overhaul to constitute as a valuable gameplay system.

Renegade/paragon should be an abstract measure of behaviour devoid of number checks for use and instead represented through resonate game experience (eg: characters, enemies, etc), as that's the way morality flows.

Paragon and Renegade actually didn't influence any checks directly in ME3, IIRC. That was the third bar's job. So more like the system you're describing.

What I'd do is take the ME3 system and add a little more complexity to it. Add a second bar (totally independent of the first), have those unlock either a neutral persuade option or a Paragon/Renegade persuade option, if you ALSO had a high enough Paragon/Renegade level.

I'd try to create a division in outcomes where the consequences of Paragon/Renegade persuades are mostly interpersonal.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Has Mass Effect 3 DLC ever gone on sale? I'm ready to just break down and buy them but I hate to spend $15 on 2 year old DLC
On PC it's pretty much never happened, but I'm inclined to say wait.

Wait until MeA gets a full reveal and see if there are any mass effect promotions then.

jmood88

Has Mass Effect 3 DLC ever gone on sale? I'm ready to just break down and buy them but I hate to spend $15 on 2 year old DLC
Why does it matter that the DLC came out 2 years ago? It was worth the price when it was new and it being old doesn't change anything.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Why does it matter that the DLC came out 2 years ago? It was worth the price when it was new and it being old doesn't change anything.

Because almost every games goes down in price after a few years and DLC shouldn't be an exception?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom