• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

Because almost every games goes down in price after a few years and DLC shouldn't be an exception?
And so what? The point was that people aren't entitled to discounted content and if the content was worth the money back when it was released, then there's no reason why it shouldn't retain the original price just because a couple years have passed.

And so what? The point was that people aren't entitled to discounted content and if the content was worth the money back when it was released, then there's no reason why it shouldn't retain the original price just because a couple years have passed.
I guess nothing should go down in price then. Mass Effect was certainly worth the original price back in 2007, no reason why it shouldn't be a full 60 bones just because several years have passed then?

jmood88

I guess nothing should go down in price then. Mass Effect was certainly worth the original price back in 2007, no reason why it shouldn't be a full 60 bones just because several years have passed then?
I don't care either way, I simply don't feel entitled to discounts. It's nice that stuff gets discounted after awhile but it doesn't mean that it's a rule that things must go down in price after an arbitrary length of time.

diaspora

It's a market expectation for entertainment software to depreciate in value over time like most other entertainment products. This is especially true with the advent and introduction of new technology that lessens the perceived value of older games. It's why I bought KOTOR2 for $3 not $60.

diaspora

And seeing as how this DLC hasn't gone down in price, it seems the market hasn't dictated that they give discounts.
Well, it depends on how many people are buying it right now. If DAI's DLC is selling better than ME3's right now for example then it'd show us that it does. No such numbers exists for EA either way.

Garlador

I bought the DLC at release.

... With very few exceptions, almost none of it was worth the asking price. Stuff like "Omega" and "Leviathan" should be $5, tops.

In fact, the only DLC I feel that still warrants the launch prices are Lair of the Shadow Broker and Citadel. That's it.

jmood88

I bought the DLC at release.

... With very few exceptions, almost none of it was worth the asking price. Stuff like "Omega" and "Leviathan" should be $5, tops.

In fact, the only DLC I feel that still warrants the launch prices are Lair of the Shadow Broker and Citadel. That's it.
I also bought all the DLC at release and aside from Omega, I felt the prices were fine.

Garlador

I also bought all the DLC at release and aside from Omega, I felt the prices were fine.

You're in the minority then.

Stuff like Pinnacle Station was practically a waste of money altogether. Bring Down the Sky was decent enough, but Bioware was smart to just practically make it free later on for every re-release. The Cerberus Network was an enormous waste of money and a huge scam if you didn't buy it new (and now it's free too, the price it should have been). Kasumi: Stolen Memory is decent, but barely lasts an hour. Same for Arrival, which is pretty much just fluff with little bearing on the actual narrative. We all know Javik should have been in the base game and not held at ransom for $10. Leviathan is pretty good and atmospheric, but it's barely an hour of content, at most. Omega was a wash. Any I'm forgetting?

Lair of the Shadow Broker and Citadel are both aces though.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Stuff like Pinnacle Station was practically a waste of money altogether. Bring Down the Sky was decent enough, but Bioware was smart to just practically make it free later on for every re-release. The Cerberus Network was an enormous waste of money and a huge scam if you didn't buy it new (and now it's free too, the price it should have been). Kasumi: Stolen Memory is decent, but barely lasts an hour. Same for Arrival, which is pretty much just fluff with little bearing on the actual narrative. We all know Javik should have been in the base game and not held at ransom for $10. Leviathan is pretty good and atmospheric, but it's barely an hour of content, at most. Omega was a wash. Any I'm forgetting?

Eh... Leviathan was at least between 2 and 3 hours of content the first time, unless you rush things. So much time "wasted" looking at everything possible in the Citadel's lab & Asteroid's base, then talking to members of the Normandy after every missions, since they all got their comment to say on them(if Liara was your lover, her comment after the last mission was... something, ha).

jmood88

I actually forgot about Pinnacle Station. So, for me, Omega and Pinnacle Station are the only useless pieces of DLC. Either way, people can still look for reviews on the content and decide if they feel it's worth it, just like everyone did at the time they were originally released.

Sioen

Just bought myself the mass effect trilogy on pc after owning all games on my 360 last gen.
First of all the prices of the dlc's are ridiculous but anyway I know I need Lair of the shadow broker and citadel. Anything else?

Just bought myself the mass effect trilogy on pc after owning all games on my 360 last gen.
First of all the prices of the dlc's are ridiculous but anyway I know I need Lair of the shadow broker and citadel. Anything else?
Leviathan is a fairly essential piece of the lore and reveals some interesting information.

I'd also highly recommend Overlord in ME2. Great side story, beautiful vistas.

Sioen

Leviathan is a fairly essential piece of the lore and reveals some interesting information.

Leviathan seems important yes, never had the dlc but it seems good. Overlord I'm going to pass on, I'm sure there are already enough good vistas in the game without buying extra dlc.

Well thank you and time to get playing, it's been so long!

Ralemont

not me

From Ashes and Leviathan. Overlord for ME2 if you have some extra cash to burn.

Garlador

Story Essential: Lair of the Shadow Broker, Arrival, Leviathan, Extended Cut, From Ashes, Kasumi & Zaeed

Emotionally Essential: Citadel!!!

Worthwhile: Overlord, Bring Down the Sky

Forgettable: Omega, Pinnacle Station

... I still can't imagine playing the games without all the DLC, though. Even stuff in the lesser ones has characters and story moments that are referenced later.

Patryn

I quite liked Omega. Some of the most enjoyable combat puzzles in the game, and the only dialogue choice that is class dependent in the series.

Squire

Banned
It's a market expectation for entertainment software to depreciate in value over time like most other entertainment products. This is especially true with the advent and introduction of new technology that lessens the perceived value of older games. It's why I bought KOTOR2 for $3 not $60.

And yet, not everyone adheres to that. Nintendo very famously doesn't. EA can charge what they want for the base game and the DLC and people can pay for it or not.

At a certain pint, I feel like if people really wanted it, they'd have it. It's 2015. Perhaps you're not as interested in Mass Effect 2s DLC as you think? (Not you specifically, diaspora.)

Garlador

And yet, not everyone adheres to that. Nintendo very famously doesn't. EA can charge what they want for the base game and the DLC and people can pay for it or not.

At a certain pint, I feel like if people really wanted it, they'd have it. It's 2015. Perhaps you're not as interested in Mass Effect 2s DLC as you think? (Not you specifically, diaspora.)

More like I already bought it once, but then I got Mass Effect Trilogy for a friend, only the Trilogy doesn't come with squat, so if I want to get her the complete experience, it's another $86.91 for the rest of the core story-centered DLC.

That's insanely overpriced.

diaspora

Both Nintendo and EA do drop the prices of games and DLC over time. Mass Effect 2 and 3's DLC is the outlier, not the rule. The market does expect that games depreciate over time.

The problem with ME2 and 3 is the perception of EA charging $10 for 3 full games while also charging $15 for DLC packs.

edit: I suspect the reason for EA's refusal to put the DLC on sale or restructure its delivery is due to the content being inexplicably tied to Bioware Points. The only Bioware game to not use Bioware Points (Inquisition) goes on sale on a fairly regular basis, has a GOTY edition that also goes on sale while the standalone expansions get 33% cuts regularly.

Consequently, if we expect Andromeda to follow the same system as the last Bioware game, it'd make some measure of sense to expect it to follow the same trends.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
IN regards to the DLC.

Just wait and see what happens when Andromeda gets heavily promoted. If the DLC is to ever go on sale I'd see that as a good a time as any.

Wouldn't be a Mass Effect thread without someone defending overpriced DLC.

----

Started up the original game for the first time in years. Forgot how much experience you could get just from the opening Citadel section. Not bad, though I find myself skipping through dialogues constantly.

4fMLpTg.jpg

kA3Pq8e.jpg
I think you posted that top one before but that second one looks new

interesting's not the right word I'd use, more like underwhelming.

Maledict

Where's the trilogy remaster? No recent rumors?

I think at this stage we have to face up to reality - it's not coming. The greatest gaming trilogy made will forever be locked to old consoles and tied down with insanely expensive DLC.

EA hates us basically.

Garlador

I think at this stage we have to face up to reality - it's not coming. The greatest gaming trilogy made will forever be locked to old consoles and tied down with insanely expensive DLC.

EA hates us basically.
Really is a shame. We keep getting all these useless remasters nobody was really asking for, but one of the few that is in demand, one STILL lacking a complete package with all content, is overlooked.

Not EA's best moment or decision, for sure.

Melchiah

This revelatory piece was posted on FB by Dualshockers yesterday.

In the First Hour of Mass Effect: Andromeda You Get to Shoot Things in the Face

The upcoming chapter of the Mass Effect franchise, Mass Effect: Andromeda, is still mostly shrouded by mystery, but looks like the game hits the ground running, as mentioned by BioWare Lead Producer Cameron Lee, who is actually currently at work on the studio’s unannounced new IP.

1He3Fwc.jpg

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

EA hates us basically.

Essentially tethering my 360 to my TV forever then.... sigh.

At least eventually the BC will kick in and I will be able to put the old girl to rest (the 360 that is) - until the whole trilogy + all DLC is available in BC though, it's no dice from me.

Garlador

Essentially tethering my 360 to my TV forever then.... sigh.

At least eventually the BC will kick in and I will be able to put the old girl to rest (the 360 that is) - until the whole trilogy + all DLC is available in BC though, it's no dice from me.

I'm not even sure I'd hold out hope for that.
Last I heard, Microsoft was having issues with some of their multi-disc games, and it was one reason why almost no multi-disc game had a Games on Demand digital counterpart. ME2 and ME3 both were broken up into multiple discs, and while Microsoft said they were working on a solution, that doesn't mean a solution will ever actually be made or viable for them.

If they can get around that, great, but I'm a cynic at heart.

Of course, EA just re-releasing the game on modern systems - not even a remaster, just a re-release with all content - would get around that issue entirely. But, well, it's EA...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom