• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maledict

And a cost of how much to the majority of players who bought it on the consoles?

Plus remasters for other games have done more than just up the res.

diaspora

And a cost of how much to the majority of players who bought it on the consoles?

Plus remasters for other games have done more than just up the res.

Who cares really? If anyone wants to play it beyond old gen it's doable- upressed, massive texture and post processing improvements and all. I doubt they're going to port a UE3 game when they've got no other ones in the pipeline.

Maledict

So again my point around the current insane pricing of all the DLC?

And also not sure the response of 'who cares, PC' is that relevant when talking about a remaster of a primarily console based game for consoles...

diaspora

The DLC pricing is I suspect a byproduct of the inane usage of Bioware points. They obviously have no problem slashing prices of Inquisition's DLC so really the only realistic thing for them to do is simply to re-release the DLC on the platforms they're already on but without BP.

Garlador

Posted this message on the Bioware forum not too long ago:

EA, we really need a re-release of Mass Effect Trilogy.

How many good reasons are there to do so? Plenty, and a lot that make really good BUSINESS sense.

1) Demand for a re-release is at an all-time high. So many games that people aren't even asking for remasters or re-releases are getting them anyway... and they're selling. Mass Effect Trilogy is arguably the most in-demand remaster I've seen from the gaming community. Even among players who own everything (like myself), it's a series many would re-invest in just to have that trilogy on modern systems.

2) Free them from the limitations of past-gen systems. ME2, for instance, originally let you recruit party members in nearly any order. Due to the space limits of Xbox 360 discs, this feature was disabled... but not erased. Intrepid PC users can mod the game to allow the developers' original vision to be played the way it was intended, allowing for such things as bringing Legion to Tali's recruitment mission or bringing Thane to Garrus's recruitment mission. For console players, enabling this original feature would warrant a re-purchase for many, since this was content the vast majority of console players never had the opportunity to experience. It would require very little effort (again, PC users modded the game to enable this already), yet it would provide even more replay value to a game already loaded with it, and entice players who missed out to rebuy to experience familiar missions with characters they never could bring along before.

3) Improved performance. Let's be honest; Mass Effect 1's performance on consoles stinks. Even installed, it's choppy, stutters, and is plagued with screen tearing, long load times, framerate drops, texture pop-in, and other issues that hamper the experience. PC players with the right setup can improve this, but there was still no official controller support, even to this very day. ME1 is a great game hampered by issues that modern systems and hardware could easily remedy, and many (myself included) would pay for a ME1 with a smooth 60 fps, 1080p performance. That alone would warrant a re-release and remaster.

4) Consolidate all DLC content. Story is the most important part of Mass Effect, and some of the best story content is still sequestered away in DLC that's spread out all over the place. Beyond the fact the DLC remains INSANELY overpriced (over $86 for all story-based DLC, if I remember correctly on consoles), for many that played on PC it's spread out from Steam to Origin to Bioware Points; it's a mess. Some versions of the same game or bundles came with different DLC included or excluded. Online Passes, pre-order bonuses, Dr. Pepper bottle cap codes, tie-ins to saves from other games like Dragon Age and Kingdoms of Amalur, codes in strategy guides and comics... it's madness. And, despite all of that, there STILL isn't a Trilogy Collection with all DLC story content included. Not yet. Many people (myself included) would pay just for the convenience of having all the DLC in one release. For a game as story-driven as Mass Effect, lacking so much good story content in the release is equivalent of reading a wonderful novel but having the best chapters of the book torn out and missing.

5) The DLC story content is IMPORTANT. Having played it, I can't imagine playing the game without From Ashes or Leviathan. That DLC provides content and context that explains pivotal story beats in the narrative, and without it the player doesn't have crucial context for some important characters and events. Content like Lair of the Shadow Broker ties in so strongly to Liara in ME3, it's inconceivable to me to imagine playing without the content included. Citadel is the emotional send-off players deserve. If players want "the best" Mass Effect experience, they need this DLC, and the fact no release has yet to include everything is extremely frustrating.

6) Providing consistency. Mass Effect changed from game to game, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. Yet there are many things that could be done, with very little effort, to provide a more consistent experience for players from start to finish. For example, Bioware didn't created a "default" FemShep until ME3, to much fanfare. It would be nice to have this excellent FemShep face and model present in the first two games for players to use from the start, just like her male counterpart. Similarly, many character models received artistic or design changes from game to game; it would be nice to have a game where Kelly keeps the same face model, for instance.

7) Fix glitches. There are still some minor, but annoying, bugs that never got properly addressed, simply due to a lack of time or resources. The Ken & Gabby recruitment bug in ME3, for instance, is disappointing. The Conrad Verner bug in ME2 is another. There are many others, some more major than others (Exorcist Shepard in ME3...), but it's always a shame to see Bioware's hardwork and talented voice work and animation wasted because one of the thousands of moving parts was overlooked. It would be a great chance for players to see content they couldn't otherwise see with minimal effort made to justify the experience, or fix those minor issues that sucked you out of the experience due to some technical glitch or hang-up.

8) The games STILL look good. But they could still look so much better too. As beautiful as the modelling and art design is, there's still so much that was hampered by various time or technological limitations in the past. Modders have done a lot to make better, higher-resolution textures, and I would pay good money to have characters in the game have hair that doesn't look like it's made of shiny, hard plastic. A high resolution remaster on an already visually impressive game would make an already great looking game look even better.

9) Accessibility. Let's be honest here... to have the "complete" Mass Effect experience is a gargantuan financial investment... more so than many people are willing to pay, in fact. Apart from the aforementioned piecemeal nature of the DLC, offering the entire experience in one package, one release, at one affordable price, would allow a large number of players, new and old, to re-invest in the series. It would make what was already a popular franchise even more accessible to countless many without forcing them to break the bank or keep a spreadsheet of what content they were missing and what content mattered most. Accessibility and convenience has, time and again, proven to be something people are willing to pay money for.

10) Tie-in to Andromeda. If not directly, re-releasing the series would do what countless other game re-releases have done; re-ignited interest in the brand from the new and lapsed playerbase. Just as Uncharted Collection has me frothing at the mouth for Uncharted 4, just as Halo: The Master Chief Collection fueled desire for Halo 5, just as Gears of War: Ultimate Edition has kept my Xbox One happy as Gears of War 4 chugs along in development, just as Final Fantasy 7 PS4 release is giving me something to compare the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Remake to, just as Resident Evil: Origins Collection has reignited my love for old-school survival horror, just as Zelda: Wind Waker HD has me anticipating Zelda Wii U, just as the PS4 Ultra Street Fighter 4 with all DLC has tied me over to Street Fighter 5, etc., etc.,... a well-timed re-release of a beloved classic can both remind old players why they fell in love with these series in the first place, as well as provide new players perspective of where things started. It would both please the fanbase (and Mass Effect's fanbase is DEFINITELY a passionate fanbase) as well as generate hype and excitement for Andromeda, especially if it releases at a point where it can tie us over until then.

Bioware... EA... Please. I beseech thee... We deserve as Mass Effect Trilogy remaster and re-release. We deserve a version of the trilogy with all the pieces in place, all the chapters included, all the story told.

I won't stop asking, and I won't lose hope over it, because Mass Effect definitely is a series that DESERVES that treatment, and a scenario where a remastered re-release exists is bound to be a profitable one that does justice to the series, puts money in EA's pockets, and makes the sizable fanbase enormously happy.

... Ball is in your court, EA.

Posted this message on the Bioware forum not too long ago:

EA, we really need a re-release of Mass Effect Trilogy.

How many good reasons are there to do so? Plenty, and a lot that make really good BUSINESS sense.

1) Demand for a re-release is at an all-time high. So many games that people aren't even asking for remasters or re-releases are getting them anyway... and they're selling. Mass Effect Trilogy is arguably the most in-demand remaster I've seen from the gaming community. Even among players who own everything (like myself), it's a series many would re-invest in just to have that trilogy on modern systems.

2) Free them from the limitations of past-gen systems. ME2, for instance, originally let you recruit party members in nearly any order. Due to the space limits of Xbox 360 discs, this feature was disabled... but not erased. Intrepid PC users can mod the game to allow the developers' original vision to be played the way it was intended, allowing for such things as bringing Legion to Tali's recruitment mission or bringing Thane to Garrus's recruitment mission. For console players, enabling this original feature would warrant a re-purchase for many, since this was content the vast majority of console players never had the opportunity to experience. It would require very little effort (again, PC users modded the game to enable this already), yet it would provide even more replay value to a game already loaded with it, and entice players who missed out to rebuy to experience familiar missions with characters they never could bring along before.

3) Improved performance. Let's be honest; Mass Effect 1's performance on consoles stinks. Even installed, it's choppy, stutters, and is plagued with screen tearing, long load times, framerate drops, texture pop-in, and other issues that hamper the experience. PC players with the right setup can improve this, but there was still no official controller support, even to this very day. ME1 is a great game hampered by issues that modern systems and hardware could easily remedy, and many (myself included) would pay for a ME1 with a smooth 60 fps, 1080p performance. That alone would warrant a re-release and remaster.

4) Consolidate all DLC content. Story is the most important part of Mass Effect, and some of the best story content is still sequestered away in DLC that's spread out all over the place. Beyond the fact the DLC remains INSANELY overpriced (over $86 for all story-based DLC, if I remember correctly on consoles), for many that played on PC it's spread out from Steam to Origin to Bioware Points; it's a mess. Some versions of the same game or bundles came with different DLC included or excluded. Online Passes, pre-order bonuses, Dr. Pepper bottle cap codes, tie-ins to saves from other games like Dragon Age and Kingdoms of Amalur, codes in strategy guides and comics... it's madness. And, despite all of that, there STILL isn't a Trilogy Collection with all DLC story content included. Not yet. Many people (myself included) would pay just for the convenience of having all the DLC in one release. For a game as story-driven as Mass Effect, lacking so much good story content in the release is equivalent of reading a wonderful novel but having the best chapters of the book torn out and missing.

5) The DLC story content is IMPORTANT. Having played it, I can't imagine playing the game without From Ashes or Leviathan. That DLC provides content and context that explains pivotal story beats in the narrative, and without it the player doesn't have crucial context for some important characters and events. Content like Lair of the Shadow Broker ties in so strongly to Liara in ME3, it's inconceivable to me to imagine playing without the content included. Citadel is the emotional send-off players deserve. If players want "the best" Mass Effect experience, they need this DLC, and the fact no release has yet to include everything is extremely frustrating.

6) Providing consistency. Mass Effect changed from game to game, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. Yet there are many things that could be done, with very little effort, to provide a more consistent experience for players from start to finish. For example, Bioware didn't created a "default" FemShep until ME3, to much fanfare. It would be nice to have this excellent FemShep face and model present in the first two games for players to use from the start, just like her male counterpart. Similarly, many character models received artistic or design changes from game to game; it would be nice to have a game where Kelly keeps the same face model, for instance.

7) Fix glitches. There are still some minor, but annoying, bugs that never got properly addressed, simply due to a lack of time or resources. The Ken & Gabby recruitment bug in ME3, for instance, is disappointing. The Conrad Verner bug in ME2 is another. There are many others, some more major than others (Exorcist Shepard in ME3...), but it's always a shame to see Bioware's hardwork and talented voice work and animation wasted because one of the thousands of moving parts was overlooked. It would be a great chance for players to see content they couldn't otherwise see with minimal effort made to justify the experience, or fix those minor issues that sucked you out of the experience due to some technical glitch or hang-up.

8) The games STILL look good. But they could still look so much better too. As beautiful as the modelling and art design is, there's still so much that was hampered by various time or technological limitations in the past. Modders have done a lot to make better, higher-resolution textures, and I would pay good money to have characters in the game have hair that doesn't look like it's made of shiny, hard plastic. A high resolution remaster on an already visually impressive game would make an already great looking game look even better.

9) Accessibility. Let's be honest here... to have the "complete" Mass Effect experience is a gargantuan financial investment... more so than many people are willing to pay, in fact. Apart from the aforementioned piecemeal nature of the DLC, offering the entire experience in one package, one release, at one affordable price, would allow a large number of players, new and old, to re-invest in the series. It would make what was already a popular franchise even more accessible to countless many without forcing them to break the bank or keep a spreadsheet of what content they were missing and what content mattered most. Accessibility and convenience has, time and again, proven to be something people are willing to pay money for.

10) Tie-in to Andromeda. If not directly, re-releasing the series would do what countless other game re-releases have done; re-ignited interest in the brand from the new and lapsed playerbase. Just as Uncharted Collection has me frothing at the mouth for Uncharted 4, just as Halo: The Master Chief Collection fueled desire for Halo 5, just as Gears of War: Ultimate Edition has kept my Xbox One happy as Gears of War 4 chugs along in development, just as Final Fantasy 7 PS4 release is giving me something to compare the upcoming Final Fantasy 7 Remake to, just as Resident Evil: Origins Collection has reignited my love for old-school survival horror, just as Zelda: Wind Waker HD has me anticipating Zelda Wii U, just as the PS4 Ultra Street Fighter 4 with all DLC has tied me over to Street Fighter 5, etc., etc.,... a well-timed re-release of a beloved classic can both remind old players why they fell in love with these series in the first place, as well as provide new players perspective of where things started. It would both please the fanbase (and Mass Effect's fanbase is DEFINITELY a passionate fanbase) as well as generate hype and excitement for Andromeda, especially if it releases at a point where it can tie us over until then.

Bioware... EA... Please. I beseech thee... We deserve as Mass Effect Trilogy remaster and re-release. We deserve a version of the trilogy with all the pieces in place, all the chapters included, all the story told.

I won't stop asking, and I won't lose hope over it, because Mass Effect definitely is a series that DESERVES that treatment, and a scenario where a remastered re-release exists is bound to be a profitable one that does justice to the series, puts money in EA's pockets, and makes the sizable fanbase enormously happy.

... Ball is in your court, EA.
I read it all.

diaspora

you listen to your ass talk?

there's demand for a ME trilogy remaster just like there was for uncharted, like he mentioned

There's no evidence for any demand other than neogaf posts in a few threads. I mean, making products based off of what select gaming forums want is hilarious. Like, make a product using an engine nobody in the company is releasing games on because of lukewarm internet interest.

Lucreto

I agree with all your points. Another would be to adjust the Battle readiness so you don't need to play the multiplayer to get the necessary war assets. I loved the multiplayer but I didn't like it messing up the storyline.

There's no evidence for any demand other than neogaf posts in a few threads. I mean, making products based off of what select gaming forums want is hilarious. Like, make a product using an engine nobody in the company is releasing games on because of lukewarm internet interest.

Where pray tell do you think the demand comes from?

The answer, forums such as NeoGAF, the official forums of the developer's and twitter, Facebook etc. You could say the same for every other remaster out there that there was no demand for them. On Biowares forum there is a 9 month old thread on the first page with over 340 comments with most wanting it.

The games I have seen consistently wanting to be Remastered are Uncharted, Dark Souls 2 and Mass Effect.

neogaf is a pretty prominent place for a gaming community, and the industry often cites neogaf, too. anyways, themselves claimed they saw a demand for uncharted remastered, so if there was a demand for that, then a demand for this exists too

I agree with all your points. Another would be to adjust the Battle readiness so you don't need to play the multiplayer to get the necessary war assets. I loved the multiplayer but I didn't like it messing up the storyline.
Not necessary since the Extended Cut came out.

even with the extended cut you still need 5,000 ems for the best ending don't you?
Took this from the ME Wiki:

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Priority:_Earth#Aftermath_-_Extended_Cut

If EMS is between 0-1749, only one option will be available depending on the player's choice at the end of Mass Effect 2: Control, if Shepard saved the Collector Base, and Destroy if Shepard did not. Both will result in massive physical damage to Earth, with Destroy killing almost everyone on Earth.

If EMS is between 1750-2349, both Destroy or Control options are available, but either choice will cause some substantial damage to the galaxy.

If EMS is between 2350-2649, the Control option will cause no physical damage but the Destroy option will still cause widespread damage.

If EMS is 2650+ the Destroy and Control options will no longer cause any physical harm to the galaxy.

If EMS is 2800+ the Synthesis ending becomes available.

If EMS is 3100+ and the Destroy option is chosen, Shepard is seen barely alive, gasping for breath (if Anderson is shot by the Illusive Man, the player needs a higher EMS to see this short scene).

I didn't end up finishing ME3 until shortly after the Extended Cut came out, at the time I didn't even know that pre-Extended Cut players had to play MP or mess around with that IOS app. With my save imported from ME1 and 2 I was easily able to achieve the "Best" Destroy ending.

diaspora

neogaf is a pretty prominent place for a gaming community, and the industry often cites neogaf, too. anyways, themselves claimed they saw a demand for uncharted remastered, so if there was a demand for that, then a demand for this exists too

Where pray tell do you think the demand comes from?

The answer, forums such as NeoGAF, the official forums of the developer's and twitter, Facebook etc. You could say the same for every other remaster out there that there was no demand for them. On Biowares forum there is a 9 month old thread on the first page with over 340 comments with most wanting it.

The games I have seen consistently wanting to be Remastered are Uncharted, Dark Souls 2 and Mass Effect.

dozensofus.gif

A handful of forum posters is not indicative of mass interest in a port of old games.

I didn't end up finishing ME3 until shortly after the Extended Cut came out, at the time I didn't even know that pre-Extended Cut players had to play MP or mess around with that IOS app. With my save imported from ME1 and 2 I was easily able to achieve the "Best" Destroy ending.

I don't think I've ever ended up with anything less without even trying.

right, so i don't think the extended cut has any bearing on it.
dozensofus.gif

A handful of forum posters is not indicative of mass interest in a port of old games.

I don't think I've ever ended up with anything less without even trying.
you're underestimating it. simple as that.

Squire

Banned

The person that wrote that post is overstepping themselves.

EA isn't going to listen to a handful of forum posts and some wise guy who types up a few paragraph over the people they already pay to figure out if this stuff is worth doing.

The ball isn't in their court, rather it's in their locker. Because the game is over and they've moved on.

The person that wrote that post is overstepping themselves.

EA isn't going to listen to a handful of forum posts and some wise guy who types up a few paragraph over the people they already pay to figure out if this stuff is worth doing.

The ball isn't in their court, rather it's in their locker. Because the game is over and they've moved on.
i'm not saying ea is going to listen, i'm saying the demand for it is real.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
No point in arguing with diaspora about the demand for a Mass Effect remaster, he is absolutely convinced that there is no demand and no interest.

4155603.jpg

My opinion:
See if anything happens at E3 regarding a remaster. I wouldn't hold your breath, but if there was a definitive moment to announce it, that would be it.

For what it's worth Sony (seemingly) released the Uncharted trilogy to soften the blow for delaying Uncharted 4.

right, so i don't think the extended cut has any bearing on it.
I forgot to include this quote from the actual wiki page:
Note: This section details Mass Effect 3's ending with Extended Cut installed. Extended Cut changes the presentation of the ending by incorporating additional cutscenes and dialogue choices and lowering the EMS requirements for certain outcomes.
By comparison, these are the EMS values without Extended Cut:
If EMS is between 0-1749, only the Destroy or Control option will be available (determined by whether or not the Collector Base was destroyed or preserved in Mass Effect 2). If the Collector Base was left intact, only the Control option is possible; if it was destroyed, only the Destroy ending will be available. Both options will result in massive physical damage to Earth, with Destroy killing everyone on Earth.

If EMS is between 1750-2349, the choice between Destroy or Control options becomes available, but either choice will cause some substantial damage to the galaxy.

If EMS is between 2350-2649, the Control option will cause no physical damage and the Destroy option will still massively damage the galaxy.

If EMS is 2650+ the Destroy and Control options will no longer cause any physical harm to the galaxy.

If EMS is 2800+ the Synthesis ending becomes available.

If EMS is 4000+ and the Destroy option is chosen, Shepard is seen barely alive, gasping for breath (if Anderson is shot by the Illusive Man, the player needs 5000+ EMS to see this short scene).

Squire

Banned

And again, as evidenced by what? Some forum posts? No one is really throwing a fit over the fact a remaster of the trilogy hasn't happened. And that makes sense since unlike most games that do have a real push for a remaster, Mass Effect is already on PC. You can already get really great looking/running versions of these games, if you really want them, with no worry of availability. It's not like, say, Final Fabtasy XII where the only versions of the games are on a single console from a decade ago.

Lucreto

And again, as evidenced by what? Some forum posts? No one is really throwing a fit over the fact a remaster of the trilogy hasn't happened. And that makes sense since unlike most games that do have a real push for a remaster, Mass Effect is already on PC. You can already get really great looking/running versions of these games, if you really want them, with no worry of availability. It's not like, say, Final Fabtasy XII where the only versions of the games are on a single console from a decade ago.

My question was never answered. How do they gauge interest in titles without looking at the community through forums and the like?

dr_rus

Eh, I'm with the ones who's doubting that demand. The games are on PC (yeah, no controller support; not a big loss really as ME as a shooter is better from k+m anyway) and considering that ME1 is running on a really outdated UE3 version and the amount of issues such a remaster may possibly introduce in scripting, rendering and everything else - it may well be that the demand which exist simply won't be enough to offset the cost of developing such a trilogy.

I forgot to include this quote from the actual wiki page:

By comparison, these are the EMS values without Extended Cut:
I see. So if I'm understanding this correctly, the extended cut patch just makes it easier to get the best ending by making the best ending a lower ems. heh, it reminds me of how bioware was boasting 16 different endings to the game when really...who the fuck would want any of the lower endings since everybody dies
Eh, I'm with the ones who's doubting that demand. The games are on PC (yeah, no controller support; not a big loss really as ME as a shooter is better from k+m anyway) and considering that ME1 is running on a really outdated UE3 version and the amount of issues such a remaster may possibly introduce in scripting, rendering and everything else - it may well be that the demand which exist simply won't be enough to offset the cost of developing such a trilogy.
First of all, no. That is not an option. I don't have a Windows computer, my laptop is lost in limbo and I don't think I can trust the other one I'm on for playing massive video games. furthermore, I do not want to. I don't like playing big video games on my computer; I like having my computer for other tasks, which is why I game on console.

I don't get how everyone just says PC is an option for those who want a remaster. I want a remaster on Ps4. If we get it we get it, if we don't, we don't.

Second of all, as far as asking where this "demand" is, it's in the same place where demand for the uncharted games were. either sony made up an excuse for wanting to remaster those games, or they recognized on social media that a demand for remasters was there. and the same can be said about the ME games. it's just on EA to do something (or fucking nothing) about it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Instead of commenting here, start a Twitter hashtag towards EA and Bioware requesting the trilogy on current gen.

If word gets out it could help. Supposedly it was helpful in keeping drm off of PS4.

Honestly, while I think that there does exist demand for a trilogy remaster (thus the people constantly asking for a trilogy remaster), I'm skeptical that there's enough demand to make porting/remastering 3 large games onto new consoles worthwhile, especially since the PC versions already exist. The reason for my skepticism is that if there was evidence of such demand, EA would have probably already done it :p

Really, I just want ME3 on X1 backwards compatibility so I can get back into the multi scene.

Squire

Banned
First of all, no. That is not an option. I don't have a Windows computer, my laptop is lost in limbo and I don't think I can trust the other one I'm on for playing massive video games. furthermore, I do not want to. I don't like playing big video games on my computer; I like having my computer for other tasks, which is why I game on console.

I don't get how everyone just says PC is an option for those who want a remaster. I want a remaster on Ps4. If we get it we get it, if we don't, we don't.

Second of all, as far as asking where this "demand" is, it's in the same place where demand for the uncharted games were. either sony made up an excuse for wanting to remaster those games, or they recognized on social media that a demand for remasters was there. and the same can be said about the ME games. it's just on EA to do something (or fucking nothing) about it.

I replied to you, but I was speaking in a general sense. Respect to your personal woes, but nah: It's totally the case. If somebody really wants the best versions of these games, they can get them. They can probably build a PC just for them for not all that much money at this point, either. I mean ME3 is a game from 2012.

Honestly, while I think that there does exist demand for a trilogy remaster (thus the people constantly asking for a trilogy remaster), I'm skeptical that there's enough demand to make porting/remastering 3 large games onto new consoles worthwhile, especially since the PC versions already exist. The reason for my skepticism is that if there was evidence of such demand, EA would have probably already done it :p

Really, I just want ME3 on X1 backwards compatibility so I can get back into the multi scene.

Exactly. I'm with you on waiting for the games on X1, too. I didn't get into MP, but I want to replay the whole trilogy.

Patryn

Honestly, at this point if it's not in production already, a trilogy remaster would be unlikely to be ready before ME: Andromeda comes out. I also suspect that EA would be far less interested in the original trilogy once they start the next chapter of the series.

This is my way of saying that while I think there is a demand out there (although I'm not sure I'd agree with saying it's at an all-time high...), I don't think pushing for a release now will accomplish anything.

It's clear that somewhere EA crunched some numbers and decided that with their current strategy the opportunity cost is not worth it when it comes to remasters.

I do think they missed the ball BIG time. I still think they could have done major business dropping a trilogy remaster back in 2014. But that's their mistake to make.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yes, the games are on PC. We know this.
So what? What does being on PC have to do with anything? it's incredibly arrogant of PC gamers to assume that just because they game on PC that everybody owns a gaming rig and have the means or knowledge to play.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Honestly, at this point if it's not in production already, a trilogy remaster would be unlikely to be ready before ME: Andromeda comes out. I also suspect that EA would be far less interested in the original trilogy once they start the next chapter of the series.

This is my way of saying that while I think there is a demand out there (although I'm not sure I'd agree with saying it's at an all-time high...), I don't think pushing for a release now will accomplish anything.

It's clear that somewhere EA crunched some numbers and decided that with their current strategy the opportunity cost is not worth it when it comes to remasters.

I do think they missed the ball BIG time. I still think they could have done major business dropping a trilogy remaster back in 2014. But that's their mistake to make.

EA has always struck me as a "go big or go home" company. Remasters don't have anywhere near the cost of a normal game but they also don't make a lot of money either. EA probably feels that if they can't make a lot of money on it then don't bother.

I am curious if EA looked at Sonys Uncharted trilogy numbers.

Squire

Banned
So what? What does being on PC have to do with anything? it's incredibly arrogant of PC gamers to assume that just because they game on PC that everybody owns a gaming rig and have the means or knowledge to play.

I'm not a PC gamer, it has nothing to do with arrogance, and I'm not making any assumptions.

I'm saying that there are high performance versions of these games on the market and that if someone REALLY wants them, there is a path to getting them. Whether people can afford to go down that road is honestly none of my concern. I'm saying the content is there. That's literally the only point being made here. That Mass Effect actually has decent PC ports that run smoothly and look great at high resolutions. You know, the things people look for in a remaster.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I'm not a PC gamer, it has nothing to do with arrogance, and I'm not making any assumptions.

I'm saying that there are high performance versions of these games on the market and that if someone REALLY wants them, there is a path to getting them. Whether people can afford to go down that road is honestly none of my concern. I'm saying the content is there. That's literally the only point being made here. That Mass Effect actually has decent PC ports that run smoothly and look great at high resolutions. You know, the things people look for in a remaster.

The main thing people are looking for in a remaster is being able to play the games on current gen systems that includes all previously released content and better quality assets.

av2k

As sad as it sounds, I'd pluck another 60$ if they updated part 1's gameplay and redid the ending(...a third time, I know).

Squire

Banned
The main thing people are looking for in a remaster is being able to play the games on current gen systems that includes all previously released content and better quality assets.

And they're not doing that. All I'm saying is there's already a superior alternative to playing on PS3/360.

Maledict

And they're not doing that. All I'm saying is there's already a superior alternative to playing on PS3/360.

Again, at what cost?

You do understand that telling people to play a primarily console game on the PC at a cost of literally £100+ for the proper experience isn't exactly a viable option for most?

Re EA and remasters, they seem to have really missed the boat on them this generation. We know several remasters have been decently profitable for their owners (TLOU, Uncharted Collection, Halo Collection etc) - possibly EA just doesn't have much faith in their back catalogue? Other than Mass Effect what do they have that would be a good candidate for remastering?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Again, at what cost?

You do understand that telling people to play a primarily console game on the PC at a cost of literally £100+ for the proper experience isn't exactly a viable option for most?

Re EA and remasters, they seem to have really missed the boat on them this generation. We know several remasters have been decently profitable for their owners (TLOU, Uncharted Collection, Halo Collection etc) - possibly EA just doesn't have much faith in their back catalogue? Other than Mass Effect what do they have that would be a good candidate for remastering?

Metro Redux at last I read sold over a million copies and I dont think anybody would argue that series is as popular as Mass Effect and that series had much much more work put into it than anybody would reasonably expect for the Mass Effect trilogy. The first game in the Metro series was rebuilt from ground up.

As for EA franchises, Dead Space and Dragon Age are honestly all I can think of. One of the reasons that EA is my least favorite publishers is that they seem to tailor their games to attract crowds like CoD instead of trying to let their games be great on their own. Games like Skyrim, Fallout 4 and The Last of Us are absolutely living proof that you don't need to make your games more CoD friendly.

Both Mass Effect and Dead Space definitely took a step towards to more action-like crowd by the time they got to their third iteration and many argue that the games suffered because of it. I haven't started DraganAge Inquisition yet and that game may the the return of "Good EA"

Back to the Mass Effect remaster, I am at a point where I no longer care all that much. As this generation continues, I find myself less interested in revisiting these old games and having to a desire to invest a time commitment into Mass Effect. EA is gonna do what EA is gonna do.

Squire

Banned
Again, at what cost?

I'm starting to wonder if you guys are reading my posts. I'm not saying "it's a viable option for most", I'm saying it's an option. There are technically superior versions of these games on the market right now. There have been for years. This is an indisputable fact. Whether people can afford to invest in the hardware they may need to run them is none of my concern.

As for your second post, these comparisons to other remasters are pointless. Because Sony and Microsoft did not reorient and restructure their production pipelines around a single engine that they own. They did not need to re-license a third-party engine for neither UC Collection or MCC. But these are the things EA would need to contend with. They've been pointed out multiple times in this discussion already. It's not as simple as "Look at how good all these remasters do, doesn't EA like money???"

dr_rus

It's been several years already since "a gaming rig" stopped being a necessity to play any Mass Effect. You do have a laptop, right?

Lucreto

It's been several years already since "a gaming rig" stopped being a necessity to play any Mass Effect. You do have a laptop, right?

But can you play it at 4K at 60FPS on a laptop? What about ME2 and ME3?

If you want to play games on PC you need to go big or go home. There has been a massive jump in PC game specifications even from last generation. There is no point in getting something to run Mass Effect now but won't be able to run Andromeda when it is released.

You also need to future proof you PC if you want to run games well. I spent €1,100 on a Pc and it lasted only 8 years. This was back when 4 gb of Ram was excessive now you need 6GB just for minimum specifications.

I replied to you, but I was speaking in a general sense. Respect to your personal woes, but nah: It's totally the case. If somebody really wants the best versions of these games, they can get them. They can probably build a PC just for them for not all that much money at this point, either. I mean ME3 is a game from 2012
You're right, my personal woes are personal, but the last part isn't, in that I also do not prefer to play games on a computer.

This sort of reminds me of the bloodborne demand on PC. but like, I understand that the PC versions of this game exists. But I don't want to play the game on a PC because I'm not a PC gamer; and if it does not come remastered to Ps4, then so be it. I'll be upset about it but I'm not gonna rant (much longer) about it.

There have been multiplat PC games that got remastered console versions. tr 2013, for instance.

Garlador

I read it all.
Jack-Black-Salutes-With-Passion-In-School-Of-Rock-Movie-Gif.gif

"Demand for a re-release is at an all-time high."
Tales from my ass?
tumblr_inline_mpjnbcJLWY1qz4rgp.gif

dozensofus.gif
We are Legion.

If only there were other sites... like official forums, and twitter, and facebook, and media sites like IGN and Kotaku and Destructoid and Gamespot and Gametrailers...

C'mon, man. Even Bioware's OWN DEVELOPERS were here asking us if we were interested in a remaster. They've openly discussed it and they said they'd like to do it.

Because EA is always known for making the smartest, sanest, gamer-friendly, financially smart decisions, right?
EA, we're talking about here. EA. Two time winner of "worst company in America". A company with a graveyard of dead studios in its backyard. A company whose "people paid to figure this stuff out" decided Sim City needed to be always online, that Dead Space 3 needed to be a multiplayer action bro-shooter, that Dante's Inferno's "Sin to Win" marketing was brilliant, that Dragon Age II needed to be more of an action game and punted out the door before it was ready, that Dungeon Keeper mobile needed to exist, that Metal of Honor needed that unnecessary reboot that crashed and burned, that... no, no, I'll stop. You're totally right. Their business folks ALWAYS make the smart decisions and never make baffling, stupid decisions because they live in a business bubble

Mass Effect 1 has a lot of PC problems. Outside of no official controller support, there's also a lot of bugs that never got fixed (Garrus's low-resolution face, anyone?). And ME1 is less a shooter than it is a dice-roll RPG with shooting tacked on. A lot of hard work from the mod community has worked to address a lot of the core issues of the game... but it's given us a clear blueprint on what could be addressed and how easily it could.

Even if that's the case, ME1 is just one game. The ME Trilogy is three. And if someone wants to get the PC version of the trilogy with all story DLC, that's nearly $100 worth of DLC, excluded from the game. That's an insanely high asking price. Even a simple re-release with all content (no extra work involved) would be appreciated. EA hasn't even done THAT yet.

EA's official opinion of ALL remasters, according to Peter Moore, is that they are "above them" and they consider a remaster or remake to mean they "have run out of ideas".

That's their official response. I'll let you dwell on it and realize how wrong their statement is.

Man, I'd love me a Dead Space Collection...

I'm starting to wonder if you guys are reading my posts. I'm not saying "it's a viable option for most", I'm saying it's an option. There are technically superior versions of these games on the market right now. There have been for years. This is an indisputable fact. Whether people can afford to invest in the hardware they may need to run them is none of my concern.

If somebody really wants the best versions of these games, they can get them. They can probably build a PC just for them for not all that much money at this point, either. I mean ME3 is a game from 2012.
Paying for a making a great gaming rig, tracking down the best mods spread all over the internet, figuring out how to mod games in general, downloading their proprietary game clients, buying all three games all over again, buying hundreds of dollars of story-essential DLC all over again...

.... Yes, that's an option, but it's not a viable option for the vast, vast majority of players (myself included). I stated before, people will pay for accessibility and convenience. ME Trilogy is anything but this in its current state.

Even a simple, basic, affordable re-release - NO EXTRA BELLS & WHISTLES - but just the complete experience, all essential DLC included, all characters, all content, in one package, at one affordable price, would be good enough for me - either on PC or console.

EA has not even done that. Mass Effect is one of the most insanely expensive franchises to invest in at this point in time if you want the complete story experience from start to finish.

There's a value dissonance there that EA turns a blind eye to. One of the reasons so many of us, like myself, want a re-release is BECAUSE it's so damn expensive to invest in the series. An elitist PC mindset of throwing a thousand dollars at the problem isn't a solution whatsoever.

And I'm in a situation where I'd like to gift a good friend of mine the trilogy, knowing she can't afford it herself but that she'd love it... but for the whole experience, it's a massive investment (more than the price of an actual video game console!) just for her to play it with all story included.

That is insane.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Jack-Black-Salutes-With-Passion-In-School-Of-Rock-Movie-Gif.gif

tumblr_inline_mpjnbcJLWY1qz4rgp.gif

We are Legion.

If only there were other sites... like official forums, and twitter, and facebook, and media sites like IGN and Kotaku and Destructoid and Gamespot and Gametrailers...

C'mon, man. Even Bioware's OWN DEVELOPERS were here asking us if we were interested in a remaster. They've openly discussed it and they said they'd like to do it.

Because EA is always known for making the smartest, sanest, gamer-friendly, financially smart decisions, right?
EA, we're talking about here. EA. Two time winner of "worst company in America". A company with a graveyard of dead studios in its backyard. A company whose "people paid to figure this stuff out" decided Sim City needed to be always online, that Dead Space 3 needed to be a multiplayer action bro-shooter, that Dante's Inferno's "Sin to Win" marketing was brilliant, that Dragon Age II needed to be more of an action game and punted out the door before it was ready, that Dungeon Keeper mobile needed to exist, that Metal of Honor needed that unnecessary reboot that crashed and burned, that... no, no, I'll stop. You're totally right. Their business folks ALWAYS make the smart decisions and never make baffling, stupid decisions because they live in a business bubble

Mass Effect 1 has a lot of PC problems. Outside of no official controller support, there's also a lot of bugs that never got fixed (Garrus's low-resolution face, anyone?). And ME1 is less a shooter than it is a dice-roll RPG with shooting tacked on. A lot of hard work from the mod community has worked to address a lot of the core issues of the game... but it's given us a clear blueprint on what could be addressed and how easily it could.

Even if that's the case, ME1 is just one game. The ME Trilogy is three. And if someone wants to get the PC version of the trilogy with all story DLC, that's nearly $100 worth of DLC, excluded from the game. That's an insanely high asking price. Even a simple re-release with all content (no extra work involved) would be appreciated. EA hasn't even done THAT yet.

EA's official opinion of ALL remasters, according to Peter Moore, is that they are "above them" and they consider a remaster or remake to mean they "have run out of ideas".

That's their official response. I'll let you dwell on it and realize how wrong their statement is.

Man, I'd love me a Dead Space Collection...

Paying for a making a great gaming rig, tracking down the best mods spread all over the internet, figuring out how to mod games in general, downloading their proprietary game clients, buying all three games all over again, buying hundreds of dollars of story-essential DLC all over again...

.... Yes, that's an option, but it's not a viable option for the vast, vast majority of players (myself included). I stated before, people will pay for accessibility and convenience. ME Trilogy is anything but this in its current state.

Even a simple, basic, affordable re-release - NO EXTRA BELLS & WHISTLES - but just the complete experience, all essential DLC included, all characters, all content, in one package, at one affordable price, would be good enough for me - either on PC or console.

EA has not even done that. Mass Effect is one of the most insanely expensive franchises to invest in at this point in time if you want the complete story experience from start to finish.

There's a value dissonance there that EA turns a blind eye to. One of the reasons so many of us, like myself, want a re-release is BECAUSE it's so damn expensive to invest in the series. An elitist PC mindset of throwing a thousand dollars at the problem isn't a solution whatsoever.

And I'm in a situation where I'd like to gift a good friend of mine the trilogy, knowing she can't afford it herself but that she'd love it... but for the whole experience, it's a massive investment (more than the price of an actual video game console!) just for her to play it with all story included.

That is insane.

EA's method of gauging interest is sending door to door salesman to knock on your door and ask you personally.

Forums, gaming sites, twitter don't matter. Like at all. Duh. <sarcasm>

Garlador

EA's method of gauging interest is sending door to door salesman to knock on your door and ask you personally.

Forums, gaming sites, twitter don't matter. Like at all. Duh. <sarcasm>

Feels like it sometimes.

EA is extremely pig-headed about business decisions and corporate direction, OFTEN at the expense of common sense and success.

How was the reaction go Sim City's always-online DRM? HATED. Universally hated. Utterly despised. Backlash was immediate and overwhelming. Entire gaming websites dedicated a "Disaster Watch" to the game.

... And EA stuck with their business strategy and stood by the always-online decision for weeks then months then, finally, released an offline patch. ONE YEAR LATER. Nearly twelve straight months of complaints, from players, journalists, and critics, and they stuck by the company byline until the company that made the game pretty much went under.

I can keep naming examples of EA ignoring overwhelming criticism and often taking YEARS to respond correctly, if they ever do, and I'm more than willing to do so.

So, yes, EA absolutely misreads the market all the time and stands by horrible, anti-consumer, poorly-received features and decisions on a habitual basis.

Their opinion of remakes and remasters often falls into that same faulty logic. That shouldn't be shocking news.

Garlador

ITT armchair market researchers

... Legitimately curious, do you drop into every fan-petition and requested game thread, ever, and spout stuff like this?

"Oh, people have asked for Final Fantasy 7 Remake for 10 years? Ha, if it would make money, they'd have done it already."

"Oh, you silly Earthbound fans. If Nintendo was going to release Mother 1 or Mother 3, let alone re-release Earthbound, they'd have done it by now. They know it won't make money."

"Pfft, look at that. A Kickstarter for Bloodstained/Shenmue III/Mighty No. 9/Yooka-Laylee/Psychonauts 2. There's a reason publishers told them that genre isn't profitable anymore and those genres are dead. What a waste of time."

"Look, the next X-Com is a shooter because turn-based strategy games are dead. You armchair analysts that say an old-school version would sell better and asking for that one instead are living in the clouds."

"Ha, you people think you'll ever get another King's Quest? The franchise is dead. Only pathetic losers are keeping it alive with fan projects. Face it, it's not profitable."

"Look at this fool, asking a company to re-release a traditional, old-school survival horror Resident Evil game on modern systems? Capcom did the numbers; there's no money there."

"This is hysterical! All these upset Nintendo fans making petitions to Nintendo to bring over some JRPGs! "Operation Rainfall?" Nintendo knows that JRPGs don't sell like they used to. it's a waste of time and money. They have people that did the numbers. Don't hold your breath."

And out of all of those, I still think Mass Effect Trilogy re-release would be more financially profitable than most of those examples.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
And out of all of those, I still think Mass Effect Trilogy re-release would be more financially profitable than most of those examples.

Not to mention Metro Redux sold over a million copies. Let's try and argue that the Metro series has a bigger audience than Mass Effect.

On that note, I would bet anything that the groups he mentions utilize resources such as Twitter and forums to gauge interest.

Patryn

I guarantee the reason EA hasn't done it isn't because it wouldn't be profitable, it's that it wouldn't be profitable enough in their eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom