• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
43 posts in the latest Mass Effect thread for that stupid GIF to be posted.

Yeah, I really need to stop wasting my time in ME threads in general, given that a large vocal portion of GAF has written it off..
It's always a small contingent lol. I've tallied up the votes from people's most anticipated lists and it's still in the top 5 overall.

DevilDog

I can't really buy the "identity shift" thing. A lot of people like to push the "everyone good left" but writing wise the most prominent folks from most of the popular games are just shifted around.
I meant it in general, shifting from action RPG of ME1 to 3rd person shooter of ME2 was an identity shift. It doesn't matter if one is worse than the other, that's irrelevant.
People will get mad at the change.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Cross posting from the BC thread since this one is more busy

Replaying 2 ATM, skipped 1......I actually can't believe how bad it aged. But 2? Holy shit the fucking jump in quality, textures......man the jump to 3 is probably just as damn good.

I now understand why they removed the dungeon crawler aspect of the game. The amount of time I spend in the actual game menues in 2 is close to none......it is absolutely so well done and paced that it's fucking awesome. The very few times I go into the menu is for a quick quest recap or to upgrade skills. They made the game so menu minimalist it's absolutely a marvel in itself. The game is near 100% just playing the game and it's awesome. It also has great side quests it literally is a more linear witcher 3 and I wouldn't doubt if CDProjekt had some influence from this game. It's absolutely perfectly scaled and balanced and is easily my RTTP game of the year.

I actually never played 3 but am really interested in what carried over from the systems of the second one

My only gripe is how little selection there were of weapons if you didn't have DLC. Then again this was the whole EA push on fuck you if you buy it used movement

So yes, I will be probably one of the very few here who still has yet to touch 3. I'm aware of the ending insanity but honestly no mass effect has really had an amazing ending, it's the journey, characters and interactions that have led me to multiple play throughs and the awe into an absolutely fantastic world.

Shit even endings with complete closure like some most recent games still have me asking for more and more lol. I can never be satisfied.

Don't expect a huge jump from ME2 to ME3, it basically look the same graphic wise. You might have a hard time recognize your Shepard if it's not the male default though, not sure what they did with their character creator, but too many minor things were changed and it fuck up the look enough to not be ignored.

The major changes of ME3 compared to ME2 basically come with additional combat moves, better skills & weapons customization and a whole lot more guns and skills to choose. And it makes the combat so much more fun.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
If anything, ME3 looks ever so slightly worse than ME2. It has this light blue aesthetic that is so pervasive in the entire game, similar to ME2's yellow hue. Except ME2 at least had some green and red color-oriented areas, whereas the vast majority of ME3 is that damn blue lol

Anyone else notice that or am I crazy?

Bisnic

No you're right, ME3 is pretty damn blue lol. Maybe it has something to do with being on the Citadel or the Normandy so much.

Ralemont

not me
Slight nitpick, DA:O's combat is not MMOish. It uses BG2 and NWN beats, and in many areas is more faithful to those than Pillars of Eternity (sans WM which I have not played).

It is MMOish in certain respects. For example, threat generation to cement the holy trinity and ability cooldowns/MP v Vancian casting. Threat generation is probably the biggest change; it was honestly a bit baffling playing through BG2 after games like DAO and FFXI because of its absence. And obviously Vancian casting is such a different way to do magic than MP.

DevilDog

If anything, ME3 looks ever so slightly worse than ME2. It has this light blue aesthetic that is so pervasive in the entire game, similar to ME2's yellow hue. Except ME2 at least had some green and red color-oriented areas, whereas the vast majority of ME3 is that damn blue lol

Anyone else notice that or am I crazy?

No you're not crazy, ME2 is the best looking game in the series.

DevilDog

I actually prefer the graphics in ME3, I don´t like that UE3 Era over sharpend/gritty look of ME2.^^

I know it's subjective and all, but I feel overall ME2 scores a bit higher than ME3.
ME3 had some really really bad stuff like obvious 2D models scattered around and some of the faces were really really weird.
Kelly Chambers comes to mind.
Kelly-Chambers.png
latest

Patryn

I know it's subjective and all, but I feel overall ME2 scores a bit higher than ME3.
ME3 had some really really bad stuff like obvious 2D models scattered around and some of the faces were really really weird.

I definitely also feel that Mass Effect 2 was the best looking of the trilogy.

If we're talking artistically, ME1 takes the cake for me. Gave me that perfect sense of classic 70's sci-fi.

If we're talking technically, it's pretty much objectively ME3 overall.

WeTeHa

It really bums me out that in every andromeda thread on the gaming side somebody feels the need to post that shitty disarm gif, even if it doesn't have anything to do with the topic.

Just like with No Man's Sky threads somebody always has to shit up the thread.
Yes, I get it, the disarm animation isn't good and you think the game will suck. Good grief...

Probably gonna stay away from gaming threads, don't want to let that drag down my excitement for the game.

AyzOn

Neo Member
I mean in general how the game looked, like the new shaders they used on the armors.
That said, you´re right those 2d models were too obvious at times and Kelly Chambers looks pretty bad.

But yea, personal preference :)

If we're talking artistically, ME1 takes the cake for me. Gave me that perfect sense of classic 70's sci-fi.

If we're talking technically, it's pretty much objectively ME3 overall.
yup, I completely agree.

Edit:
So I guess they decided to embrace their artistic vision after all haha

https://twitter.com/masseffect/statu...43486685388800
Wow, I don´t think that is a good idea.
They should let people know that they agree that its bad otherwise they will spin it like its that bad on purpose.

Nah that twitter post is great. It's clear that nothing will satisfy the edgy assholes who think the entirety of the game is reflected on that one gif and feel justified to spam it everywhere.

I wish more devs had sass like that.

Retrofluxed

I feel that disarm.gif is being used purposefully as a way to take a thread off course. Every Mass Effect thread since the VGAs have had that fucking gif posted and re-quoted multiple times per page. Its almost become just as bad as :lol was years ago.

DevilDog

*sigh* EA's in charge of that account. That scene's been updated and improved since. They're so out of touch.

Nah that twitter post is great. It's clear that nothing will satisfy the edgy assholes who think the entirety of the game is reflected on that one gif and feel justified to spam it everywhere.

I wish more devs had sass like that.

I doubt EA wanted to piss anyone off.
They saw it posted multiple times, the sarcasm flew off their heads and they posted it on their twitter to look cool.

That's funny, at least they tried.

Bombless

I doubt EA wanted to piss anyone off.
They saw it posted multiple times, the sarcasm flew off their heads and they posted it on their twitter to look cool.

That's funny, at least they tried.

Yeah, I think that's what happened : "Wow, people really dig this scene from the trailer, they keep reposting it! Let's tweet it!". EA handling the twitter account is odd to me but I guess they're the ones doing the promotion of the game so it makes sense after all?

Honestly, I rarely read more than the OP in Bioware threads now(other than community ones, like this), simply because the negativity is annoying at this point. Most of it is low-effort, regurgitated garbage.

Bisnic

I have no idea what EA is doing, but Bioware clearly knows that gif is a problem:

Sadly, that gif has already somewhat infected GAF. It's Andromeda's Press A For Awesome and I doubt there will ever exist an Andromeda thread where someone doesn't post it, regardless of how the final game looks.

Yeah, when the official thread comes with (almost surely great) reviews, I bet someone will post this gif on the first page with no comment because apparently that's what cool kids do these days. Posting gifs with no comment for no reason. Like that "No Andromeda for Switch" thread.

Yeul

I have no idea what EA is doing, but Bioware clearly knows that gif is a problem:

Sadly, that gif has already somewhat infected GAF. It's Andromeda's Press A For Awesome and I doubt there will ever exist an Andromeda thread where someone doesn't post it, regardless of how the final game looks.

Ugh that's such a bummer that they have to even preface that gif. Not only that, but since Shinobi says they improved it, to see that posted on twitter must be adding insult to injury.

Ugh that's such a bummer that they have to even preface that gif. Not only that, but since Shinobi says they improved it, to see that posted on twitter must be adding insult to injury.

Sure, people just like using it as a bludgeon to hit BioWare with at this point. On the flip side, that was our first proper look at the character that's supposed to be the new Shepard. Of course that scene will be polished and play better when you have the full context and agency... but it's really not a stellar first impression of the protagonist for those who aren't following this stuff religiously.

Again with the marketing and all that.

The animation is obviously rough, and it was unfinished. Many on the team wanted to give Sara Ryder some spotlight since Scott Ryder was in the last few trailers, that's why it was insisted the footage revolve around her. Thing is, her model wasn't as far along as Scott's in terms of specific things like animation. These things continuously get ironed out and iterated on, and its since improved. Her face had quite a few animations that weren't even implemented yet there.

Some things like that scene and sound effects, etc were unoptimized and picked by...more technical/design members than cinematic or artistic members who know what to put and not put into public footage.

That showed a little. It's unfortunate because Bioware's an easy target on here and it'll get spammed everywhere regardless of the situation or context. And to be fair, they need to be more aware before putting this stuff out to the public.

Yeul

Sure, people just like using it as a bludgeon to hit BioWare with at this point. On the flip side, that was our proper good look at the character that's supposed to be the new Shepard. Of course that scene will be polished and play better when you have the full context and agency... but it's really not a stellar first impression of the protagonist for those who aren't following this stuff religiously.

Again with the marketing and all that.

Yeah of course, it is obviously rough and people are going to latch onto that, I get it. I don't know why they thought to choose this particular scene in their tweet when they know (or don't?? I guess) that it's a sore spot. But I'm not EA marketing so who even knows anymore.

ViciousDS

Banned
Thanks for the ME3 replies. I'm so excited to see more abilities, guns and customization. It really sounds amazing gameplay wise and I can't wait to get to it once I'm finished with ME2.

Also the whole GIF thing is stupid and honestly at this point if people just post That stupid GIF to derail and are completely off topic of what the mass effect thread is actually about. Smack them with a fucking ban for all I care, it's stupid.

I mean hell the fucking ME3 not coming to switch thread immediately had it and tons quoted it. It's literally the equivalent of shit posting. I mean even standard GIFs offer more in context and feeling of the poster then some random ass GIF of Ryder Janking a gun out of someone's hands

Plasma

Banned
The animation is obviously rough, and it was unfinished. Many on the team wanted to give Sara Ryder some spotlight since Scott Ryder was in the last few trailers, that's why it was insisted the footage revolve around her. Thing is, her model wasn't as far along as Scott's in terms of specific things like animation. These things continuously get ironed out and iterated on, and its since improved. Her face had quite a few animations that weren't even implemented yet there.

Some things like that scene and sound effects, etc were unoptimized and picked by...more technical/design members than cinematic or artistic members who know what to put and not put into public footage.

That showed a little. It's unfortunate because Bioware's an easy target on here and it'll get spammed everywhere regardless of the situation or context. And to be fair, they need to be more aware before putting this stuff out to the public.

It gets seized upon because the animation in some of the other ME games can look a bit dodgy at times. Still though from what I've seen of just some of the gameplay animations where they're in combat or walking around the hubworld it looks a lot better than ME3. I can sympathise with them on the gun grabbing as well pulling that off and making it look good is pretty hard with the way most game engines handle tags for objects and switching them between hands.

Luxorek

Yeah of course, it is obviously rough and people are going to latch onto that, I get it. I don't know why they thought to choose this particular scene in their tweet when they know (or don't?? I guess) that it's a sore spot. But I'm not EA marketing so who even knows anymore.

Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Shinobi mentioned that ME twitter account isn't managed by Bioware, but by EA marketing team, which as we can see is quite oblivious.

Bisnic

Left hand doesn't know what the right is doing.

Shinobi mentioned that ME twitter account isn't managed by Bioware, but by EA marketing team, which as we can see is quite oblivious.

EA employee : Hey boss, people are posting that Mass Effect disarm gif quite a lot on the internet, don't know why, but that must be because they thought that moment was cool? Maybe we should post it on our twitter, what do you think?

EA boss :
giphy.gif

DevilDog

EA Boss: These darned kids liked that gif so much, BioWare! Put 100 more of these in the game.

Just wanted to ask, the entire plot of MEA is leaked or not? I saw some posts a while ago claiming to know a lot but I never read anything spoiler tagged.

Yeul

Regardless, since they are now using motion capture which will presumably be the common practice in the rest of their games going forward, I will finally be able to be free of recycled animations. That in and of itself is something to look forward to since every time I'd see one I could name 100+ other instances of that specific gesture.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Just wanted to ask, the entire plot of MEA is leaked or not? I saw some posts a while ago claiming to know a lot but I never read anything spoiler tagged.

Not really, not that I'm aware of, at least nothing like Mass Effect 3 where an entire draft of the plot leaked. With Andromeda all we've had are various survey and event leaks, consisting of scattered information that may or may not be relevant any more. I'm pretty certain some stuff is (like the squad mate stuff), whereas certain gameplay stuff from the old survey has changed.

That CES conference is at 10:30 PM for me, should make for some interesting late night discussions here on the boards and on twitter/reddit.

If there is a new Andromeda Initiative video tomorrow to go along with it I wonder if they'll release it earlier in the day or at the same time as the Nvidia stuff.

Dany

Banned
I. Really. Don't. Care. About. That. Dumb. Gif.

You see that shit everywhere in movies, tv and games. It's a 1 second clip that looks hokey and it's what folks are latching too. So over it.

Mirandas alt outfit is so much better than that white one.......wow, color scheme is fantastic

The black cerberus one? Yeah.

I'm actually kind of partial to the DLC outfit for her and a lot of the characters in 2 (and 3) because they usually look more in-line with what a clothed and armoured soldier should be.

It's a shame that a lot of alternate DLC outfits have these really dumb headgear pieces because otherwise they're superior to the base choices.

It also appears confirmed we are getting a new Andromeda Briefing tomorrow at 10AM PST and possibly a release date then as well or sometime soon?

Renekton

It is MMOish in certain respects. For example, threat generation to cement the holy trinity and ability cooldowns/MP v Vancian casting. Threat generation is probably the biggest change; it was honestly a bit baffling playing through BG2 after games like DAO and FFXI because of its absence. And obviously Vancian casting is such a different way to do magic than MP.
DA:O's threat system still prioritized proximity, so the standard playstyle didn't change much from getting melee/tanks to greet the enemies first and dealing with the ones that beeline to the squishies. Later D&Ds are inherently trinity anyways, as attacks of opportunity (engagement in Pillars) are used to soft-glue mobs to melees.

As for Vancian, my bad yeah you got a good point there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom