• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

Something is obviously not right here...

DAO Nov 2009 / DAII March 2011

ME Nov 2007 / ME2 Jan 2010

Jj6UCoB.gif

You forgot something in your GIFfing:

Dragon Age Awakening - March 16, 2010

DA2 basically had just over a year from start to finish.

Lt-47

This is obviously not a good thing to do, and I can asure you that shit posting just for the sake of it is not my style.

Well, I'm trying my best to do the exact opposite because I can, I wanna and willing to.

Again, I wasn't talking about you. I may disagree with you but at least you don't shit post

Something is obviously not right here...

DAO Nov 2009 / DAII March 2011

You're forgetting Dragon Age Awakening.
DA2 was made in 14 months, not nearly enough for a 30h+ AAA RPG. (Source: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1319784&highlight=bioware)

I would even say that even ME3 2 years dev cycle was a bit too short. They clearly struggle on weird thing (Quest journal) and had to cut things that sound good on paper (Suicide mission 2.0) among other things.

Ralemont

not me
I'm just imagining Shinobi's kroganchuckle.gif whenever someone posted "looks like fall 2017 or maybe even 2018 man there must be such development issues"

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
http://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age...r-developer-da2-was-a-one-year-produc-487429/

This may or may not be trustworthy, but the extremely short development cycle was corroborated by Shinobi, who is generally if not entirely trustworthy.
Well that.... explains a lot.

put yourself into the shoes of the people who work on this stuff.
These people you care so much about should not sell us games like DAII. Again, it is entirely their own fault. If there's not enough time, why even bother?

Also, the "skeptical" card is seriously one of the most intellectually lazy things you can pull these days. It's like "free speech". Yeah, you should be skeptical and weary at all times. But you shouldn't overextend that into literally shitting on the developer and game months before release. I don't find that reasonable towards the people who work on this stuff.
Now please, show me where exactly I did such a thing. What I can say about MEA at this point is that I can see really cool things already in this game after watching the last gameplay trailer, but I also have so many questions about it, about the things I care about and don't like in this trailer. So, can you actually call this "shitting on the developer and game months before release?" I sure as hell don't, if anything, its simply and just like I've said - extreme scepticism, not hate, not shitting on the developer and game and not shitposing. I do care about ME a lot and I don't want this game to be shit, but I also preparing myself for this.... just in case and cuz it is better than hype.

I'm just imagining Shinobi's kroganchuckle.gif whenever someone posted "looks like fall 2017 or maybe even 2018 man there must be such development issues"
Lol, it was extremely hard to bite my tongue. Still, some good stuff coming today. Mock reviews happening towards the end of the month, and major marketing starting late January-early Feb.

ViciousDS

Banned
Lol, it was extremely hard to bite my tongue. Still, lots of good stuff coming. Today, mock reviews happening towards the end of the month, and major marketing starting late January-early Feb.

mock reviews today or end of the month.....I'm having a hard time reading that sentence lol

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Sorry for my lack of understanding, but... "mock review"? What's that? Non-gold, but almost completed, versions of the game being sent to websites such as IGN or Gamespot?

Dany

Banned
Sorry for my lack of understanding, but... "mock review"? What's that? Non-gold, but almost completed, versions of the game being sent to websites such as IGN or Gamespot?

They're like contractors who have a history of game criticism and reviews and are paid by bioware to "review the game". In order to gauge the response to the game.

Patryn

- Today we get stuff
- End of Jan there are mock reviews (what is that?)
- marketing later

Mock Reviews are an internal tool for gaming companies in which they reach out to independent reviewers (generally ex-game journos) who basically review the game as they normally would, including scoring it, but deliver the review to the company itself.

It's used by a company to gauge what the reception of a game will be, and may affect marking budget if a game comes in way under what they predict the score to be.

Generally, outside of leaks, you will never hear the results of the process.

Edit: Beaten badly.

Reviewers, usually contractors and others who have been in the game journalism business for a long time, are paid by the publisher to play through, give their thoughts and "mock review" the game to gauge critical response, Metacritic scores etc. They're usually fairly close most of the time.

I was told about Horizon's recent scores and they were great.

Mock reviews are when journalists (or nearly journalists, because there's a strong stigma among journalists about these things) are paid by the developer/publisher to write and score the game as if they were a major review outlet.

It's a way for the publisher to gauge how well gamers will receive the game and how much support they should give it for marketing.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Mock Reviews are an internal tool for gaming companies in which they reach out to independent reviewers (generally ex-game journos) who basically review the game as they normally would, including scoring it, but deliver the review to the company itself.

It's used by a company to gauge what the reception of a game will be, and may affect marking budget if a game comes in way under what they predict the score to be.

Generally, outside of leaks, you will never hear the results of the process.
And here I thought that I won't learn something new about the game industry today. Thx.

Garlador

So long Sheploo, you'll always be my favorite.

10299313.jpg

I finished Citadel for the first time today. End of an era

Citadel truly was something special.

I've long since come to terms with the fact that Mass Effect 3's ending isn't the last 15 minutes of the game... it's the majority of the game. And Citadel is as perfect an "ending" for the series as you can make.

Bisnic

Thanks for the multiple replies lol.

Also, I can get this game for 54$ CAD rather than 80$ CAD if i pre-order from CDKeys rather than Origin.

Anyone did that? How does that work? You get a product code by email soon after you pay and activate it in Origin?

AyzOn

Neo Member
You´ll get a key as soon as they´re available for them and then you have to activate it in Origin.
You might even get the key early enough for preload.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
This is amazing, just before my birthday too....setting up Tempest HQ in the lounge that week, Pizza, Single Malt and Lemon Zest Water for those intense moments.

The thirst for more information intensifies. Let's hope the CES conference offers something new. Maybe some closer looks at the other companions while exploring the new areas? More information on Cora? pls BioWare

prag16

Banned
Man. There's still an adamant group of DELAY!!!! people. Even now. Amazing.

Might have missed it; what time is this conference/presentation that is alleged to contain ME:A content?

Bisnic

I won't be completely satisfied with this game if it doesn't contain some variation of the Lash ability from ME3. Definitely one of the most fun(and useful) skill in the game. Enemy hiding behind cover? He has a shield or barrier so Pull is worthless? No worries, Lash will save the day! And if there is no shield or barrier, enjoy seeing your target fly away at high speed!

Man. There's still an adamant group of DELAY!!!! people. Even now. Amazing.

Might have missed it; what time is this conference/presentation that is alleged to contain ME:A content?

I believe its around 6:30 PST

ViciousDS

Banned
I won't be completely satisfied with this game if it doesn't contain some variation of the Lash ability from ME3. Definitely one of the most fun(and useful) skill in the game. Enemy hiding behind cover? He has a shield or barrier so Pull is worthless? No worries, Lash will save the day! And if there is no shield or barrier, enjoy seeing your target fly away!

I believe its around 6:30 PST

aw yes, 8:30 central....I'll be home to see it!

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Excited to see Frostbite combat. They've mentioned destructible cover which sounds delicious for potential Vanguard abilities.

I wonder how the combat meshes with the rpg/customization aspect, which bioware has been talking up in interviews. There seem to be only 3 ability slots, so i assume that other basic abilities that are universal (jumping, dodging, shooting, etc) also are customizable when building your character, as well as passive skills.

Worst case would be that bioware is trying to appeal to the "hardcore rpg" crowd by talking about the "deep customization" in ME:A, and it turns out to be shooter with very basic differences between builds. They did this with DA:I when they were trying to get that particular crowd on board, talking about the tactical camera and how strategy mattered, which turned out not to be the case. Well, at least not in comparison to DA 1 and 2.

Ralemont

not me
I wonder how the combat meshes with the rpg/customization aspect, which bioware has been talking up in interviews. There seem to be only 3 ability slots, so i assume that other basic abilities that are universal (jumping, dodging, shooting, etc) also are customizable when building your character, as well as passive skills.

Worst case would be that bioware is trying to appeal to the "hardcore rpg" crowd by talking about the "deep customization" in ME:A, and it turns out to be shooter with very basic differences between builds. They did this with DA:I when they were trying to get that particular crowd on board, talking about the tactical camera and how strategy mattered, which turned out not to be the case. Well, at least not in comparison to DA 1 and 2.

Well, the tactical camera does matter in Inquisition. Quite a bit. The game needs to be more difficult, sure, but whenever you use the tac cam your efficiency goes through the roof.

I'm not too worried about the 3 ability limit in Andromeda thanks to no global cooldown. Tbh I used 3 or fewer active abilities for pretty much all my builds in ME3 because of the GCD.

Kinda lame that the book releases 5 days after the European release date. Guess I'll have to wait another week to play! That, or I'll just waste away my time on multiplayer first.

Exciting!

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
Well, the tactical camera does matter in Inquisition. Quite a bit. The game needs to be more difficult, sure, but whenever you use the tac cam your efficiency goes through the roof.

I'm not too worried about the 3 ability limit in Andromeda thanks to no global cooldown. Tbh I used 3 or fewer active abilities for pretty much all my builds in ME3 because of the GCD.

Well, technically it matters for targeting sure, since it can be a pain to select distant targets with the default 3rd person view, but as a necessary tool for strategically difficult encounters? Not really, since the game regressed in that aspect compared to its predecessors. The point i was trying to make was that bioware presented it as a step back towards old school rpg tactical gameplay, but it became clear when the game launched that the step was actually taken in the opposite direction.

Xieldos

Hopefully this is ok to post as it's from my own site.

I interviewed Jennifer Hale not long ago and spoke to her about the original Mass Effect trilogy and her role as Commander Shepard. She also speaks briefly about Andromeda and the direction Bioware are taking.

Don't expect any major news but some of you may enjoy the interview.

Hopefully this is ok to post as it's from my own site.

I interviewed Jennifer Hale not long ago and spoke to her about the original Mass Effect trilogy and her role as Commander Shepard. She also speaks briefly about Andromeda and the direction Bioware are taking.

Don't expect any major news but some of you may enjoy the interview.

I saw it posted in the Mass Effect subreddit, I assume it was you?. Very nice to hear from her again at least.

Sou Da

Well, technically it matters for targeting sure, since it can be a pain to select distant targets with the default 3rd person view, but as a necessary tool for strategically difficult encounters? Not really, since the game regressed in that aspect compared to its predecessors. The point i was trying to make was that bioware presented it as a step back towards old school rpg tactical gameplay, but it became clear when the game launched that the step was actually taken in the opposite direction.

Yeah combat was backwards mess to try and do two things at once. Darrah's comment about why DAI didn't work well camera wise is interesting though.

Apparently they did two maps and the camera would transition between both for DA:O and they needed a new somewhat automated way to do it for DAI since making a separate map for an open world game would be too much?

Surely there's a simpler way?

It's completely insufferable. I can't even get into the state of mind required to go into a thread and comment about something you're clearly not interested in to the point where you're actually seemingly deriving pleasure out of downplaying the efforts of others.

Genuinely confused at some of the replies. I think the screens look damn good. Theyre taken straight from gameplay instead of prettied up cinematic shots.

DevilDog

I don't disagree with the consensus right now, those screenshots look rather bland and uninteresting, plus they are snaps of something in motion and it doesn't look appealing at all.

The marketing for this game overall is rough, so far the Ark info video was the best thing because it was straight up awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom