• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patryn

I. Really. Don't. Care. About. That. Dumb. Gif.

You see that shit everywhere in movies, tv and games. It's a 1 second clip that looks hokey and it's what folks are latching too. So over it.

Unfortunately there's a bunch of people who are just looking for any reason to rip into Bioware, and that GIF is red meat to them.

Hell, in one thread I off-handedly mentioned how I enjoyed Inquisition and a poster went off on me, wrote a long diatribe about how in his view DA:I is objectively one of the worst games ever made and no one could like it, asserted that it was impossible to argue with him, and then demanded that I recant saying I liked the game.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
DA:O is a hideously imbalanced game with massive stretches that feel unfinished, rushed, and repetitive. It's like...BioWare's most quality inconsistent series by a long shot and none of the games feel totally, fully realised through their production cycle. All three had development issues.

I'm just complaining for the sake of it.

Patryn

It is funny that as much as I want Andromeda to come out NOW (and have been clamoring as much), so many of Bioware's games feel rushed in some way.

DA:I and ME3 both felt rushed, and let's not even talk about DA2.

I just hope that Andromeda doesn't have that same rushed feeling. I hope having a 5 year dev cycle is enough to prevent that, but who knows with modern game development?

The other day I was realizing that it's the 10th anniversary of ME1 and the 5th anniversary of ME3, which means we've waited as long as it took to release all three games in the series. Crazy.

diaspora

DAI didnt feel unfinished as much as a learning experience. You could tell they only figured out how to do zones properly halfway through the game with Crestwood, Emprise, and Hakkon being good versus the Hinterlands or Storm Coast.

I find DAI more playable than Origins. Weaker tactical options but the flow of combat, movement, and magic are all better imo.

Erm DA:O wasn't perfect by any means, but I don't remember any part of DA:O that was as rushed as the 3rd act of DA:I.

Ending controversy aside, I feel contemporary BioWare has been struggling with third acts for a few titles now. Mass Effect 1 and 2 have such satisfying finales and denouements - not perfect in details perhaps (hello husk Saren / human Reaper) but the pitch and pace is just right and they still leave me pumped and excited when the credits roll.

By comparison, DA2, DA:I and ME3 seem to fizzle out as you get closer to the end.

diaspora

I don't honestly think Bioware knew what to do with Coryphaeus or his army which is why fighting him was the same as the Architect fight. Granted the two of them are
the same kind of people- two of the original priests that went into the fade, it'd follow they're both the same kind of dark spawn and would fight the same.
tbh I'm not sure they'd do better with more time regarding this.

ViciousDS

Banned
So bets on that GIF showing itself within the first page of replies when someone makes a thread for the new gameplay today, despite it probably having to do nothing with what's going to be shown?

DevilDog

I really did enjoy DA:O's combat system, my only gripes was that friendly AI acted weird some times.
I liked the offline MMO idea :(

So bets on that GIF showing itself within the first page of replies when someone makes a thread for the new gameplay today, despite it probably having to do nothing with what's going to be shown?

NeoGAF is a nexus of hardcore gamers, enthusiast press, and video game industry developers and publishers. This is a neutral ground where facts and evidence, presented within the confines of civil, inclusive discourse, prevail through careful moderation.

It's going to be terible

diaspora

Make a mass effect bingo card with that as the free space. Other spaces can be something about DAI, ME3's ending, or how ME1 is the only "RPG".

ViciousDS

Banned
Make a mass effect bingo card with that as the free space. Other spaces can be something about DAI, ME3's ending, or how ME1 is the only "RPG".

omg.....this would be perfect........I never even thought of that. Just like our Microsoft E3 bingo cards.

Genius

as for ME1 being the only RPG......its the only Dungeon based Loot style RPG gamein the series XD

Patryn

DAI didnt feel unfinished as much as a learning experience. You could tell they only figured out how to do zones properly halfway through the game with Crestwood, Emprise, and Hakkon being good versus the Hinterlands or Storm Coast.

I find DAI more playable than Origins. Weaker tactical options but the flow of combat, movement, and magic are all better imo.

I feel that while DAI definitely was a learning experience, a lot of its problems probably came late in the game when they started slashing and burning to get it running on last gen consoles.

Watching some of the "leaked" presentations (although if it was at a PAX, I'm not sure it's a leak), it was clear that there was bunch of really cool systems that had to be torn out wholesale, leading to vestigial systems like Power, Influence and Holds that do very little in the final game compared to what they originally envisioned (and possibly even partially implemented at one point).

Hopefully Andromeda won't have that problem, given that it's only on current gen consoles and PC.

Don't forget a space for Waifu.

Patryn

Guessing it will take less than 20 posts for someone to claim that the date is a lie and the game is going to be delayed, regardless of the announced date.

At least one person on the first page will also assert that it will definitely be a 2018 title.

Oh I'm sure it'll be filled with the typical doubt posts, I'm actually looking forward to that lol. Mock reviews are happening by the end of this month. It's happening.

The newest post in the CES thread:

OcElGMI.png

Really illustrates the garbage in every Bioware thread.

diaspora

I feel that while DAI definitely was a learning experience, a lot of its problems probably came late in the game when they started slashing and burning to get it running on last gen consoles.

Watching some of the "leaked" presentations (although if it was at a PAX, I'm not sure it's a leak), it was clear that there was bunch of really cool systems that had to be torn out wholesale, leading to vestigial systems like Power, Influence and Holds that do very little in the final game compared to what they originally envisioned (and possibly even partially implemented at one point).

Hopefully Andromeda won't have that problem, given that it's only on current gen consoles and PC.

Don't forget a space for Waifu.
True too. I wonder what the Orlesian capital would have been like if they didn't have to accommodate for the 360 and PS3.

I'm really curious about what the next Andromeda Initiative briefing today will be about. It seems like they're designed to be lore drops so maybe it'll be something to do with the pathfinders and their tools (Nomad and the Tempest).

Lt-47

I'm really curious about what the next Andromeda Initiative briefing today will be about. It seems like they're designed to be lore drops so maybe it'll be something to do with the pathfinders and their tools (Nomad and the Tempest).

If they follow the order from 1st briefing video, Tempest and Nomad overview should indeed be next.

Yeul

True too. I wonder what the Orlesian capital would have been like if they didn't have to accommodate for the 360 and PS3.

If they can make Minrathous fully realized I'm sure it'd be amazing. It'd be a shame not to see something like this concept art:
latest

Patryn

Well, it is 100% BioWare's fault, they've no one to blame but themselves for all this.

I would disagree, as that post illustrates. If the person can't even get the name of the game right, odds are that they didn't play it and are instead simply shitting on it because other people do so.

I'm not saying that Bioware is without blame in all this, but the hate directed towards them is a bit more than they probably deserve.

Derailing the topic from Andromeda for a bit but I saw this posted on the Mass Effect subreddit and thought it was pretty crazy/funny.

Garrus Ascends to Godhood

Basically if you give Garrus an N7 Typhoon, Armor Piercing Ammo, fully decked out damage weapon mods, his damage bonus outfit, and every possible weapon damage bonus modifier from skillpoints he becomes some insane armor shredding, pinpoint machine of destruction on even Insanity.

I'll have to test this out on my next Insanity run.

Ralemont

not me
DA:O's threat system still prioritized proximity, so the standard playstyle didn't change much from getting melee/tanks to greet the enemies first and dealing with the ones that beeline to the squishies. Later D&Ds are inherently trinity anyways, as attacks of opportunity (engagement in Pillars) are used to soft-glue mobs to melees.

As for Vancian, my bad yeah you got a good point there.

I haven't played DAO recently so I'll take your word for it on proximity. Really wish they had kept that for Inquisition as enemies bumping my tank on the way to my archer/mages was a regular thing. :/

AyzOn

Neo Member
Derailing the topic from Andromeda for a bit but I saw this posted on the Mass Effect subreddit and thought it was pretty crazy/funny.

Garrus Ascends to Godhood

Basically if you give Garrus an N7 Typhoon, Armor Piercing Ammo, fully decked out damage weapon mods, his damage bonus outfit, and every possible weapon damage bonus modifier from skillpoints he becomes some insane armor shredding, pinpoint machine of destruction on even Insanity.

I'll have to test this out on my next Insanity run.

That makes the Ending so much better for me, I´ll just imagine Garrus finished calibrating the weapons at some point which made them so strong that he roflstomped the reapers back into the vast nothingness of space.

btw, isn´t it news time or did I get it wrong again with the time zones?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Patryn, forget about this one post, there's ALOT of people who thinks the same way including me. There's almost no faith in BioWare anymore. And it's better to be extremely sceptical than believe in hype and expect a lot from them cuz... they simply will not deliver and will not meet our expectations but on the other had... who can? :)

Critical thinking, what is it?
DAII is shit (except battle system - the absolute best in the series), DAI is shit (even though it is a major improvement over DAII, it is still doesn't matter cuz overall this game is shit and DAO is a much better game in absolutely every way you can possibly imagine except visuals and animation), ME3 ending was ruined for millions.

I wonder why so many people are extremely sceptical about them, their work and their games....

hmmmm....

hmmmmmmmm....

I really have no idea, not even a single tiiiiiiiiiny clue. Silly me.

Lt-47

And it's better to be extremely sceptical than believe in hype and expect a lot from them cuz... they simply will not deliver and will not meet our expectations but on the other had... who can? :)

I wonder why so many people are extremely sceptical about them, their work and their games....

There's a "slight" difference between skepticism (which you'll find plenty of even in this very thread) and going to a ME thread, post a "Bioware as been shit since KOTOR" then leaving.

One is good practice and can be constructive the other not so much

DAII is shit (except battle system - the absolute best in the series), DAI is shit (even though it is a major improvement over DAII, it is still doesn't matter cuz overall this game is shit and DAO is a much better game in absolutely every way you can possibly imagine except visuals and animation), ME3 ending was ruined for millions.

hmmmm....

hmmmmmmmm....

I personally disagree with every single one of your assertions, and can point you to a whole bunch of people who share my beliefs. Which is to say that at the very least, what you're saying can't be considered a general truth. And that's not even speaking of the concept of "benefit of the doubt". There are plenty of extenuating circumstances present in failures like DA:II and the ME3 ending. Dragon Age 2 suffered from an unreasonable deadline, and ME3's ending was probably a result of an inherently flawed concept put in place years before by a person who ultimately didn't even work on said ending.

No one "brings on" the incessant amount of piling on when it comes to most of the frankly brainless criticism already leveraged against ME:A. It's nothing but GIF posting and hand-wringing over the imagined concern of "little information" while we're still months away from release.

Yeul

Patryn, forget about this one post, there's ALOT of people who thinks the same way including me. There's almost no faith in BioWare anymore. And it's better to be extremely sceptical than believe in hype and expect a lot from them cuz... they simply will not deliver and will not meet our expectations but on the other had... who can? :)

hmmmm....

hmmmmmmmm....

Of course, buying into "hype" can lead to disappointment if you allow it to overinflate the ideas of what someone can deliver. There is nothing wrong with skepticism. However, if you go into it saying, "well, they are never going to meet my expectations anyways" then that isn't really something that they should concern themselves with. It's not helpful to anyone. Though, you know, being on the internet it's not that hard to look up the conditions of development and how things don't always go to plan. ME3 was disappointing to a lot of people, yes, so if that has soured you just wait and hear impressions.

Also, so DA:O is "better in every single way imaginable" except (according to you) visuals and animation, and yet DA2 has the best combat system in the series? So it's not better in every conceivable way. It's a preference.

Retrofluxed

Seriously, where is this DA:I is shit coming from? Am I growing that out of touch? I loved DA:I and invested 92 hours in my first playthrough (before the DLC was out).

Sou Da

Seriously, where is this DA:I is shit coming from? Am I growing that out of touch? I loved DA:I and invested 92 hours in my first playthrough (before the DLC was out).

It ain't good, man. Also I don't too much care for this place becoming a catch all BSN OT.

This is coming from someone who likes DA more.

DA:O's threat system still prioritized proximity, so the standard playstyle didn't change much from getting melee/tanks to greet the enemies first and dealing with the ones that beeline to the squishies. Later D&Ds are inherently trinity anyways, as attacks of opportunity (engagement in Pillars) are used to soft-glue mobs to melees.

As for Vancian, my bad yeah you got a good point there.

There's only one effective threat-holding build in 3.5, and 4E had it baked in. But really, the aspect of the Trinity that WotC D&D is missing is effective in-combat healers.

It's not like D&D hasn't done point based casting - psionics and spell points come to mind. 3.P has dozens of alternate magic systems just in first party books, let alone third party stuff.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
There's a "slight" difference between skepticism (which you'll find plenty of even in this very thread) and going to a ME thread, post a "Bioware as been shit since KOTOR" then leaving.

One is good practice and can be constructive the other not so much
KOTOR? I really don't like MMOs but everything else in this game is great including story, dialogues, characters etc. KOTOR is much, MUCH better that DAI. And you really don't need a lot of words to say and explain why people are extremely sceptical about them, cuz it is obvious just like the sunrise on the next and each day.

Uh, what's even the point in arguing the facts? It is simple - we did get better result of their work in DAI compared to DAII - true, but they also and so obviously failed in so many other levels and by looking at all this you simply can't say that this game is good, it is, at the very best, a mixed bag with not so many good things, to many bad things and massive overcorrection. There's zero strong direction in this goddamn game which was made only with one purpose - to please as many people as possible and to dissapoint so many others as well in the process which was inevitable.

I personally disagree with every single one of your assertions, and can point you to a whole bunch of people who share my beliefs. Which is to say that at the very least, what you're saying can't be considered a general truth. And that's not even speaking of the concept of "benefit of the doubt". There are plenty of extenuating circumstances present in failures like DA:II and the ME3 ending.
Let me tell you this. Every time someone brings up a thread like "Is DAI good and is it worth the time and purchase?", right from the very start, every single time and for pages and pages people telling the man that it is shit, not worth the time or something along those lines. Now, why? If the game is so good, why? Why so many people saying that The Witcher 3 much and much better (because of course it is) and recommending to buy it instead? It is not simple hate I tell ya.

Dragon Age 2 suffered from an unreasonable deadline
More like from very poor direction, bad producing, over simplistic nature and so on.

and ME3's ending was probably a result of an inherently flawed concept put in place years before by a person who ultimately didn't even work on said ending.
The main ME writer left BioWare, that's the real reason right here.

No one "brings on" the incessant amount of piling on when it comes to most of the frankly brainless criticism already leveraged against ME:A.
If only that was the case, but it's not, far from it. People have every right to be sceptical and frankly they should be every single time, it's for their own good, believe it or not. Also, people criticizing mostly not MEA, but their previous work and games and.... they are right. It's up to BioWare to prove them wrong, not you or me.

It's nothing but GIF posting and hand-wringing over the imagined concern of "little information" while we're still months away from release.
Well, personally, I only extremely sceptical about MEA and why should I not be?

Of course, buying into "hype" can lead to disappointment if you allow it to overinflate the ideas of what someone can deliver. There is nothing wrong with skepticism. However, if you go into it saying, "well, they are never going to meet my expectations anyways" then that isn't really something that they should concern themselves with. It's not helpful to anyone. Though, you know, being on the internet it's not that hard to look up the conditions of development and how things don't always go to plan. ME3 was disappointing to a lot of people, yes, so if that has soured you just wait and hear impressions.
This is exactly what I'm doing and for the most part I'm criticizing not MEA but previous games and DAI in particular. I can also say this - DAI dissapointed me a lot more that DAII and you wanna know why? Cuz there's many (not a huge amount, but many) good things in this game and so much potential for something much better that was ruined by so many other things that I can't even count. In DAII on the other hand only combat system was great and not much else, so even though it's a much worse than DAI.... there's simply not much else in it that could potentialy made the game better so.... well, I hope you get it.

Also, so DA:O is "better in every single way imaginable" except (according to you) visuals and animation, and yet DA2 has the best combat system in the series? So it's not better in every conceivable way. It's a preference.
Yep, DAO has better everything except visuals and animation than DAI. DAII has the best combat system in the series - it is the one and only good thing I can say about this game.

Lt-47

KOTOR? I really don't like MMOs but everything else in this game is great including story, dialogues, characters etc. KOTOR is much, MUCH better that DAI. And you really don't need a lot of words to say and explain why people are extremely sceptical about them, cuz it is obvious just like the sunrise on the next and each day.

Uh, what's even the point in arguing the facts? It is simple - we did get better result of their work in DAI compared to DAII - true, but they also and so obviously failed in so many other levels and by looking at all this you simply can't say that this game is good, it is, at the very best, a mixed bag with not so many good things, to many bad things and massive overcorrection. There's zero strong direction in this goddamn game which was made only with one purpose - to please as many people as possible and to dissapoint so many others as well in the process which was inevitable.

If only that was the case, but it's not, far from it. People have every right to be sceptical and frankly they should be every single time, it's for their own good, believe it or not. Also, people criticizing mostly not MEA, but their previous work and games and.... they are right. It's up to BioWare to prove them wrong, not you or me.

You couldn't have miss my (and Heckler456) point more. It was just an example of random GAF post.

Most of people aren't skeptical they just see every Bioware thread as an occasion to shit on them. They don't add anything to the conversation, they don't bring any rational argument. They won't and can't be proven wrong because they already made up there mind about the dev and the game.

More like from very poor direction, bad producing, over simplistic nature and so on.

Which are result of the awfully short dev cycle... I doubt even CDPR would have made a good game in those condition

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
You couldn't have miss my (and Heckler456) point more. It was just an example of random GAF post.

Most of people aren't skeptical they just see every Bioware thread as an occasion to shit on them.
This is obviously not a good thing to do, and I can asure you that shit posting just for the sake of it is not my style.

They don't add anything to the conversation, they don't bring any rational argument. They won't and can't be proven wrong because they already made up there mind about the dev and the game.
Well, I'm trying my best to do the exact opposite because I can, I wanna and willing to.

Which are result of awfully short dev cycle...
Something is obviously not right here...

DAO Nov 2009 / DAII March 2011

ME Nov 2007 / ME2 Jan 2010

Jj6UCoB.gif

This is obviously not a good thing to do, and I can asure you that shit posting just for the sake of it is not my style.

Well, I'm trying my best to do the exact opposite because I can, I wanna and willing to.

Something is obviously not right here...

DAO Nov 2009 / DAII March 2011

ME Nov 2007 / ME2 Jan 2010

Jj6UCoB.gif

http://www.giantbomb.com/dragon-age...r-developer-da2-was-a-one-year-produc-487429/

This may or may not be trustworthy, but the extremely short development cycle was corroborated by Shinobi, who is generally if not entirely trustworthy.

As for your other reply, instead of picking my comment apart and replying to it piecemeal, maybe you should internalize the main point, which is that there is a difference between worthwhile discussion and criticism, and whatever the fuck goes on in nearly every single gaming ME thread. If a slightly-off animation gets nitpicked, made into a GIF, and becomes a meme in certain circles overnight, and you think that THAT is in any way reasonable; then I genuinely don't know what to tell you. I mean, just put yourself into the shoes of the people who work on this stuff.

Also, the "skeptical" card is seriously one of the most intellectually lazy things you can pull these days. It's like "free speech". Yeah, you should be skeptical and weary at all times. But you shouldn't overextend that into literally shitting on the developer and game months before release. I don't find that reasonable towards the people who work on this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom