• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Mass Effect Community Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeul

I agree that the Andromeda Initiative videos have been really great so far. Anyways, I love the vibe the screenshots give off, if nothing else. They are obviously compressed, but I love the neon palette and that planet vista shot with the Tempest. It's going to look so great in 4K boy oh boy.

diaspora

This game downsampled will look nuts. Provided that it like other PC frostbite titles has the camera accessible through the command console the screenshots are going to look insane.

DevilDog

CES_2017%20Screenshot_13.jpg

I think my problem is with all these lights and lines. Everything looks so unnatural and unappealing.
Lighting looks kinda off, the way everything is illuminated is... off puting, anyone know why? Also purple circles around a red eye, green razer lights on that little droid whatever, a floor with more green lines what the hell am I even looking at here?

I suspect this just looks better in motion and is better to look at in game.
But I shouldn't be giving them the benefit of the doubt from these screenshots, they're supposed to be selling me, they're not.

Apart from that tempest in the air ones. Those are kinda sweet.

I mean, I know the pic below doesn't look great but at least I know where everything is:

I don't disagree with the consensus right now, those screenshots look rather bland and uninteresting, plus they are snaps of something in motion and it doesn't look appealing at all.

The marketing for this game overall is rough, so far the Ark info video was the best thing because it was straight up awesome.

They're presumably screenshots taken from a technical video being shows at the Nvidia CES conference. People who view that sort of stuff should be invested enough not only in the game itself, but gaming in general to not need eye-popping or whatever you consider "interesting" screenshots. To me, these screenshots are perfectly fine, and perfectly complimentary to the rest that they've shown thus far.

Also, how can you say that the "marketing" has been rough when you yourself think the Ark info video was "awesome", and know that they're clearly taking a shortened marketing approach towards release? I feel like people keep parroting this stuff without really thinking about it, because seriously, which other developer does shit like Dragon Age Keep or The Andromeda Initiative? Like seriously, nearly every single game out there takes a really conservative marketing approach, and here you have Bioware trying something different, and yet they're getting hammered because of it. Because why? Because people are impatient? I don't get it.

CES_2017%20Screenshot_13.jpg

I think my problem is with all these lights and lines. Everything looks so unnatural and unappealing.
Lighting looks kinda off, the way everything is illuminated is... off puting, anyone know why? Also purple circles around a red eye, green razer lights on that little droid whatever, a floor with more green lines what the hell am I even looking at here?

I suspect this just looks better in motion and is better to look at in game.
But I shouldn't be giving them the benefit of the doubt from these screenshots, they're supposed to be selling me, they're not.

Apart from that tempest in the air ones. Those are kinda sweet.

No one screenshot is supposed to be selling you anything. Also, those things look unnatural because they are unnatural. I don't even know what you're talking about here.

Like, with all due respect, but you're kind of overthinking things a little.

I don't think the screenshots look bad but they seem like gameplay screencaps and the game will look much better in motion, the Remnant techy-lines for example look nice when you see the light pulsating through them etc.

The use of complementary color palettes and the models are nice, the Tempest looks great too IMO (from a design point of view) so I don't know what else people want.

AyzOn

Neo Member
They are standing in shadow so they are in front of a big structure or something you can see where the moonlight(I assume it is) hits the ground outside of it and the red light is just behind the character.

It looks fine to me, its a bad taken screenshot but technically it seems completely fine.

Your overthinking is my normal thinking :)

Right now I'm just struggling to see where the light is coming from in those pictures. It seems to come from everywhere and nowhere.

There's a top-down bright lit night sky presumably from the gigantic celestial bodies present in the other screenshots, and a bottom-up orange light from lava pools. What other light sources don't make sense to you?

DevilDog

I don't like it, everything is wayyy to bright for being nighttime. It reminds me of those stupid night filters in Battlefield 3. Eh, enough of that, it will probably make sense in the video. Please.

How much time until the Nvidia thingy?

I don't like it, everything is wayyy to bright for being nighttime. It reminds me of those stupid night filters in Battlefield 3. Eh, enough of that, it will probably make sense in the video. Please.

But you said it doesn't make sense and is unnatural. Except it isn't, because look at how big these celestial bodies are.

CES%202017%20Screenshot%2003.jpg

That is presuming these are the same planet of course, but there are other explanations as well, as is shown in the comment above this one.

Bright moonlit nights exist on earth too.

You're comparing it to what we know as "night". It's an alien planet with storms, volcanic ash and it's own weather.

And night doesn't have to mean pitch black.

CES%202017%20Screenshot%2006.jpg

Or actually, it might be due to this thing in the top middle part of this screenshot.

Hey and look, it seems to cast its light rather accurately. As does the glow of the lava pool from the right. Have we sufficiently established that Bioware is able to place light sources accurately now, as if that was something we should even be wringing our hands about, seeing as how this game is running on Frostbite.

DevilDog

You're comparing it to what we know as "night". It's an alien planet with storms, volcanic ash and it's own weather.

And night doesn't have to mean pitch black.
Yeah definitely, but I've seen way too many "nights" in the Frostbite engine being just blue filters on top of really lit environments, like this one. They're like this because according to the devs working on frostbite titles, night time isn't fun.
CES%202017%20Screenshot%2006.jpg

Or actually, it might be due to this thing in the top middle part of this screenshot.

That looks like a weird eclipse? Maybe its a black hole or something? Maybe its devouring a star and it's producing light.

I still don't like the lighting however. I don't know why though.

Well, not much discussion to be had then I suppose, if you can't express why you don't like it.

To me, the game looks amazing. I haven't really seen any polished metal yet, but I wonder if they've fixed the flickering that would occur on that type of material in DA:I. At any rate though, every looks really well realized and very detailed.

Ralemont

not me
If we're going to bitch about negativity (which i have been) its only fair to do the opposite when appropriate: the amount of ME3 and DAI love in that release date thread warms my heart, haha.

Big Nikus

If we're going to bitch about negativity (which i have been) its only fair to do the opposite when appropriate: the amount of ME3 and DAI love in that release date thread warms my heart, haha.

I have to agree, even if I'd be the first to criticize ME3, positive comments are nice to read sometimes even if I don't agree with them lol

So, the new stuff will be shown in about 35 minutes or did I mess up my time zones ?

My understanding is that the conference itself starts in 30 minutes but Mass Effect is just one small part of it and could appear at any point so we might have to watch through a lot of other NVIDIA tech stuff.

Big Nikus

My understanding is that the conference itself starts in 30 minutes but Mass Effect is just one small part of it and could appear at any point so we might have to watch through a lot of other NVIDIA tech stuff.

If that's the case I'm gonna put the stream on my TV and continue to work on my laptop, keeping my ears open for the words "Mass Effect" in the middle of the technobabble I don't understand :)

Patryn

Given the way they're hyping it, I'd bet on it either opening the keynote or, more likely, closing it. I'd plan on sitting through the whole thing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
The quality of the stream was terrible, hopefully we get a better video soon.

Also... too damn short.

Big Nikus

I was gonna make a thread but... no.
I mean, we're gonna get some new infos by freezing the image on the menus, and that's it.

Love the movement in combat though, it looks really fun to play.

Well that was nice and... awfully short. We had pretty much seen everything in today's images. The skill trees will no doubt be juicy but I had hoped for something new, anyway looks great so we can only wait until the next tidbit.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Once a better HD quality video is out, someone need to take screenshots of all the menus we saw!

Apologies for the shitty, quick screencap grab but here's a look at the character and abilities screen(?)

vaAgvYD.png

The first thing that stood out to me was the Nexus Level in the top right, which we also saw in the Game Awards footage. Seems to imply that we're going to have to help build up the Nexus since it only arrives in Andromeda as one part of a whole station (as implied by the Ark and Nexus video).

There's also all the different submenus at the top, I can probably guess the gear at the right is the options menu.

Big Nikus

Every time... every bit of new footage... it's never nearly enough.

I feel like I'm dying of thirst for substantial info on the game, and Bioware just keeps teasing me with mirages.

Yep. What they show isn't bad, but... As far as gaming goes, I don't remember being ever as frustrated as I've been with the Andromeda presentations. And I've been hyped for tons of games.
Oh well, let's wait for the next month, like we've been doing all year long in 2016
The game comes out in less than three months anyway, but I'd love at least one amazing trailer

Garlador

Yep. What they show isn't bad, but... As far as gaming goes, I don't remember being ever as frustrated as I've been with the Andromeda presentations. And I've been hyped for tons of games.
Oh well, let's wait for the next month, like we've been doing all year long in 2016
The game comes out in less than three months anyway, but I'd love at least one amazing trailer

I sure hope so.

Though it'll be hard as hell to top Mass Effect 2's Launch Trailer.

Still gives me chills.

Yeah, it's really frustrating.

The menu is a horrible benny hill sequence I have to pause and repeat to decipher what the hell is going on.

Big Nikus

I really don't understand the complaints about the animation in combat. "Junk" ? "Clanky" ?
What ? I play tons of action games and to me the way it moves seem absolutely fine.
Yeah I shouldn't even stop to think about it. Some people are voicing valid concerns, and other seem to be regurgitating words that are devoid of all sense at this point.

Anyway, one thing I noticed in the video, is that abilities can now be charged. It says that one press on the button will launch Overload on one enemy, and holding the button a bit will charge the ability so that it hits one additional enemy. I like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom